Bears camp begins July 28

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

A little later than normal, but a good sign that they intend to play! Let's hope things stay on track! I bet they only play 2 preseason games this year, no big loss.
spudbear
MVP

The reduction in preseason games could be a loss for the offense if Nagy is serious about working the offense more. Regardless, I'm curious to see if the idiotic mask enforcement will be in effect for athletes. How'd you like to be out there running full speed with a mask blocking your breathing?
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Richie
MVP

Two would be fine. Every team gets one dress rehearsal game for the starters to get game reps and possibly determine the outcome of position battles. Then, use the other as your 4th pre-season type of a game to make final roster decisions.

I hate pre-season games anyway and typically spend it holding my breath over injuries. It is, however, a bit unfortunate that it happens this pre-season as we have a QB competition going. The one time it was really going to be pivotal and exciting.
Richie
MVP

spudbear wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:14 pm Regardless, I'm curious to see if the idiotic mask enforcement will be in effect for athletes. How'd you like to be out there running full speed with a mask blocking your breathing?
Huh?

When was this ever going to be a thing? It's never once been mentioned for athletes. lol
spudbear
MVP

Richie wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:17 pm
spudbear wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:14 pm Regardless, I'm curious to see if the idiotic mask enforcement will be in effect for athletes. How'd you like to be out there running full speed with a mask blocking your breathing?
Huh?

When was this ever going to be a thing? It's never once been mentioned for athletes. lol
About a month ago
With everyone in fear of the dread death virus and cases "spiking" I don't know how and if the NFL will kowtow to the demands of playing "safe".
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
dplank
Hall of Famer

There's an entire thread about the helmets Spud, just below this one. They aren't restrictive masks at all.

:frustrated:
Richie
MVP

spudbear wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:38 am
Richie wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:17 pm

Huh?

About a month ago
With everyone in fear of the dread death virus and cases "spiking" I don't know how and if the NFL will kowtow to the demands of playing "safe".
Okay, so... where is it mentioned that players may have to wear masks? lol
spudbear
MVP

I looked over the other thread and saw the helmet design. If there are vents at the sides then you don't have protection. It's like people who wear a bandana around their face and look like they are getting ready for a holdup, where you know there's no protection and they're wearing them for show.

If there is a mandate to "be safe" then a filter has to come between the mouth/nose intake and fresh air supply, as well as filtering the "outtake". Any time you place a filter in the path you are restricting the airflow. Scuba gear is not going to work as that system relies on steady breathing and can only handle short bursts of "panic" breathing. Again, athletes competing at a high level and high aerobic activity cannot sustain performance with a filter blocking free flow of air.

George Halas
dplank
Hall of Famer

They say in that very article that they have to be comfortable for the players, I think you're overthinking this one. I don't see why they are bothering at all with messing with the helmets. Why not just test all the players the day before the game and require all players and coaches to stay in a quarantined environment from the time that the test is issued until gametime (like 24 hours). I think we should even have fans honestly, I just think they should do 1/3 capacity with spaced out seating, require masks, and do the quick temperature check thing upon entry.

They'll never get 100% safe, but that's not a realistic goal. Nothing is 100% safe. And players not playing at all wouldn't be 100% safe either, they could just as easily get infected a thousand other ways. At least this would have some control over the process and allow the sport to continue, which is good for the players, owners, and fans.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Good post DP.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I think this could be the platonic ideal of what Coaches really want out of Players

Sequestered from Life except when it's time to get on the Football field.

It is kind of weird to think about the fact that living properly under quarantine is probably "more free" for the Player than a Bear Bryant camp