Bears trade TE Adam Shaheen to MIA for conditional 6/7th rounder

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -dolphins/

Shaheen will first have to pass a physical. He has had plenty of injuries during his three-year career; he appeared in only eight games in 2019 and six in 2018. The second-round pick in 2017 (43rd overall) has 26 career catches for 249 yards and four touchdowns.

The sixth-round pick is believed to hinge on Shaheen being on the Miami roster at some specific date in the regular season.

------

If we get a 6th for him, that's better than the ham sandwich I'd hoped for
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Hell yeah, dolphins got fleeced!
dplank
Hall of Famer

We will see, I’m rooting for him and glad he’s with my new home team lol
Richie
MVP

dplank wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:03 pm We will see, I’m rooting for him and glad he’s with my new home team lol
Why root for him? We spent a second round pick on him as a D-III player... and by multiple coaches accounts he totally took everything for granted. Had no work ethic and was a total pansy ass.

I'm sure he's an okay human being. But it's not an athlete I'm going out of my way to "root for". Strictly pertaining to his career as a Bear? F him. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Mongoloid head.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Good for the Bears. I thought they would just end up cutting him. They got a 6th (possibly).

He is dead to me now.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Richie I’m rooting for for him to do well enough to stay on the roster to get the 6th round pick.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Regardless of the conditions this is a good trade.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I tend to root for underdogs. People piled on Shaheen mercilessly, it’s not his fault Pace reached for him. Seems like a nice kid, I wish him well (and I want that pick lol)
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:53 am I tend to root for underdogs. People piled on Shaheen mercilessly, it’s not his fault Pace reached for him. Seems like a nice kid, I wish him well (and I want that pick lol)
Underdogs are cool, but he's not a sweet mutt at the pound with all his shots just waiting for his forever home. He's a mangy feral street dog in need of severe rehab.
wulfy
MVP

Shocked they got anything for him.
IE
Hall of Famer

So him (and Braunecker for that matter) being gone seemed like a certainty to me. But for a 6th? That's cool. I'd be happy with anything. I'm going to guess it was that one extra point grab in the end zone that encouraged the Fins to take a chance on him... I can think of no other reason or thing he's demonstrated.

I think the "Baby Gronk" thing got into his head, and he was overconfident from playing against little competition. And then reality should have slapped him in the face, and ideally he would have put in the work to take advantage of his natural gifts. Maybe it was injuries that kept him from taking those steps. But IIRC his effort out there was highly suspect, in addition to his performance.

Good riddance.

Jesper - your table is being set! YOU better have put in the time and effort this off-season!
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Hopefully they have a Chipotle down there so he can eat hard on his rehab.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:09 pm
Why root for him? We spent a second round pick on him as a D-III player... and by multiple coaches accounts he totally took everything for granted. Had no work ethic and was a total pansy ass.
I'm not arguing, because it's obviously very possible - but this is the first time I've heard it. Where are you getting it from?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Richie
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:53 am I tend to root for underdogs. People piled on Shaheen mercilessly, it’s not his fault Pace reached for him. Seems like a nice kid, I wish him well (and I want that pick lol)
He's not an underdog. He's an underachiever.

It's entirely his fault that he didn't have the work ethic to pan out.

Like I said... not even sure we're talking about the same guy. Weird guy to get behind.

Definitely hope he makes the roster so we get the pick. Outside of that? Psh. He screwed us.
Richie
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:28 pm
Richie wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:09 pm
I'm not arguing, because it's obviously very possible - but this is the first time I've heard it. Where are you getting it from?
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears ... -nfl-draft

Nagy when asked about why Shaheen has been inactive and what he would have to do to change that:

"We want all of our players to be able to be completely detailed and play hard and do everything they can to be the best player they can be,” coach Matt Nagy said, rather pointedly, when asked what Shaheen needed to do to be active on gamedays again.

Compare what Nagy said about Shaheen to what he said about White the Monday after de-activating him last year:

“Kevin’s worrying about doing what he can do as best as he can, and however that fits into what we do, he’ll do that. He’s been great. He really has.”

If White couldn’t get back on the field with his coach publicly praising him, what hope is there for Shaheen to get back on the field when his coach talks about the details and playing hard?

We all know what a positive guy Nagy is and how optimistically he speaks about players. His statement on White is an example of that under the same circumstances. Is there a more damning statement from him about a player as what he said about Shaheen? I doubt it. In Nagy speak; that is quite literally "This guy is lazy, dogs it, and doesn't do what we need him to do. In both studying and on the field."

Then, Gilbride:

“As a competitor, you better want to do everything you can (to play again),” Gilbride said. “If it’s up to me to motivate him that’s exactly what I’ll tell him, as far as well, you’ve gotta compete, make sure that your skillset and what you bring to the table is enough to get you a suit on Sundays.”

Notice that all of this stuff is about motivation, competing, and "doing what you have to do"?

https://sportsmockery.com/2019/08/bears ... old-words/

Helfrich:

Perhaps nobody summed up the lack of confidence in Shaheen better than offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich. When asked about what the team can expect from the third-year tight end provided he stays healthy, the Bears coach’s short answer spoke volumes.

‘MAN, THAT’S A BIG CONDITION THERE,’’ HE SAID.

Asked what to expect from one of his own players and he essentially replies "Yeah, he'll probably get injured. So, little need to think beyond that." lol

These coaches clearly have little respect for Shaheen. Therefore, neither do I. The physical talent was there. It's all the other stuff that wasn't. Which is actually, the stuff you have control over. You can't control what your genetics bless you with. You can control how hard you work to hone those skills, though. That's the worst way to fail.
UOK
Site Admin

Pace took a chance on a big hoss who he thought would be a diamond in the rough. He may have gotten bamboozled by false interest from other clubs. Either way, Shaheen is a complete flop who will probably join Dan Bazuin and the Gaines Adams death-trade as one of, if not the worst uses of a second round pick in Bears history.

It sounds to me like the guy was completely out of his element in the pro game, and cut his teeth beating up H-tier talent in the boonie colleges. Once he hit the pro game and realized he was in a league of grown-ass men who weren't going to put up with much, along with coaches who demand perfection and a fan base that is quick to sniff out losers, Shaheen's Bears career was over pretty much right as it began.
IE
Hall of Famer

I was shocked to be informed that he actually had something like 26 catches and 4 TDs with the Bears. I remember a handful of catches that's it.

Like I've said before I've hated him since I learned about his ignorant/racist tweets when he was in college. Hearing that he might be entitled and lazy... not a shock. Fuck him.

That said... I hope he does just enough to justify the conditional pick. And then he can go scratch.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Shaheen wasn't a reach

He was just a bust

From what I've read on him - I question the good guy part too - but we as fans have very, very little real information on that
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm friends with a few NFL scouts and one thing I've heard from them is how difficult it is for them to evaluate players from schools that don't play much, or any, power conference football. Sometimes you get Tarik Cohen, sometimes you get Adam Shaheen. They do their best to validate a player's production against lesser talent by projecting them physically, not just at the combine for their potential with an "adult body". And the combine stuff matters a lot here too. The game tape is not nearly as heavy a factor in these situations.

Personally, if I'm going to reach for a guy, I'd rather it be under "Randy Moss" circumstances. An obvious 5 star recruit talent who had some personal trouble that forced them to play at a lower level, and has shown signs that those troubles are behind him. Mainly because I value the game tape/production more than the measurables. I want guys who have played against big time talent and have achieved results there. All of those guys are the same age, so all of them have to still grow and mature, so why not favor guys who have done well at the same stage of their growth as their opponents?
wab
Mod

I was rooting for the dude, primarily because of what the Bears had invested in him. I'm impressed that they got anything in return.

It would be the Bears luck for him go down there and light it up for a decade.
G08
Hall of Famer

Pretty sure he's a racist
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:49 pm
Whoa, really?!?!?! Where's the evidence of this? Not debating, just hadn't heard anything about it at all...
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:02 pm
G08 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:49 pm

Whoa, really?!?!?! Where's the evidence of this? Not debating, just hadn't heard anything about it at all...
I have to find it but he had some questionable tweets in his history.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

I don't have all the details, but I guess he used #whitegreatness and said some racist shit on twitter when he was a teenager.

There's definitely a HUGE debate to be had over Cancel Culture and the real value of tweet-mining for racist and idiotic things people have said, but ultimately a lot of it comes down to NFL agents and parents for not telling their clients/kids to either outright delete their tweet history or hire a PR firm to scour their accounts for possible controversies.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don't know how you could function in an NFL locker room and be a racist. But it's happened, that Philly receiver comes to mind. Nick Bosa tweeted some racist stuff, so did Josh Allen. But when you're young and brash and stupid, you can say stupid things for attention that aren't really reflective of how you really, truly feel - so I tend to forgive it and remain thankful i grew up in an age where everything I said didn't land on a computer as a form of permanent record. Haven't seen the Shaheen stuff so have no basis for opinion on it.
wab
Mod

I must've been living under a rock, because I didn't know anything about it until a month or so ago. I guess he used a questionable hashtag as some sort of inside joke about his pickup basketball team.

There's a fine line now between saying stupid brash shit and being labeled a complete racist. I'm sure growing up I said super insensitive shit thinking it was funny/macho. I wish I had 40 year old me around to slap around 18 year old me every time I did/said something stupid.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I wonder if the Dolphins will give me a couple of grand for this little nugget:

wulfy
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:06 pm I'm friends with a few NFL scouts and one thing I've heard from them is how difficult it is for them to evaluate players from schools that don't play much, or any, power conference football. Sometimes you get Tarik Cohen, sometimes you get Adam Shaheen. They do their best to validate a player's production against lesser talent by projecting them physically, not just at the combine for their potential with an "adult body". And the combine stuff matters a lot here too. The game tape is not nearly as heavy a factor in these situations.
I'm not really sure this was a case of "misidentifying talent" ... I remember when the Bears scrimmaged the Broncos in Denver a few years ago and Shaheen tore them up. You will never "pop" against NFL talent if you are a no-talent hack - but he got hurt in the preseason game later that week and was never the same. And he's a guy who has always succeeding by being physically superior to anyone he ever ran in to on a football field - when he needed to up his game (mentally as much as physically), he was never up to the task.

For someone who ran a 4.79 at 271 pounds - he never looked it. "Lumbering" would be the adjective I would use to describe him on the field.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Well, if eating more Chipotle was his idea of NFL preperation, seriously is it a shock he sucked?
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out....
Have a great day