DL Eddie Goldman opts out of 2020 season

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

wulfy
MVP

That is a major blow to this defense .... but I'm not sure we are having a season anyway.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Good for him.
If I were in his situation (vet with plenty of money), there's no way in hell you'd see me out there, either.
Hopefully, this snowballs.

Opt Out rules here:
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas- ... 0finalized.

Sounds like he is claiming medical condition. Anyone know what he has?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

huge blow, this sucks
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Huge blow - can't blame him
G08
Hall of Famer

Can't blame him, selfishly this fucking sucks.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

I'd be speculating on what medical condition he has, but it's clear it makes him more susceptible to covid. Shit, just being "overweight" is a risk factor. I think that could apply to like 90% of DTs.

But yeah, this sucks.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:17 pm I'd be speculating on what medical condition he has, but it's clear it makes him more susceptible to covid. Shit, just being "overweight" is a risk factor. I think that could apply to like 90% of DTs.

But yeah, this sucks.

The linemen are going to be more vulnerable than most with COVID's spread. If anything we may see a Marlins-esque string of trenchers get sat/IR'd very, very early in the season as they spread it to each other on a weekly basis.
UOK
Site Admin

Also for those curious about the cap:

IE
Hall of Famer

This seems likely to snowball. :(

Fuck Fuck Fuck
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pissed off at Eddie and the other players opting out. I know the right thing to say is "good for them" and "safety first" and all that shit, but I'm pissed. 2020 has sucked hard, I just want some goddamn good football this fall and genuinely think our D is stacked so well that we could have made some noise. Now? Not so sure, we just went soft up the middle and we have two small/fast ILB's that need the big brute up front. This hurts a lot.

Fuckety fuck fuck, shitballs asshair
Johnny Bollocks
Journeyman

Shit.
Johnny Bollocks
Journeyman

From Sporting News dot com.

NFL players opting out of 2020 season
(The following list is compiled from various media reports.)

Arizona Cardinals
-

Atlanta Falcons
-

Baltimore Ravens
Andre Smith, OT
De'Anthony Thomas, WR

Buffalo Bills
Star Lotulelei, DT

Carolina Panthers
-

Cincinnati Bengals
-

Chicago Bears
Eddie Goldman, DT

Cleveland Browns
-

Dallas Cowboys
Stephen Guidry, WR
Maurice Canady, CB

Denver Broncos
Kyle Peko, DT

Detroit Lions
-

Green Bay Packers
-

Houston Texans
Eddie Vanderdoes, DT

Indianapolis Colts
-

Kansas City Chiefs
Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, G

Las Vegas Raiders
-

Los Angeles Chargers
-

Los Angeles Rams
-

Jacksonville Jaguars
-

Miami Dolphins
-

Minnesota Vikings
Michael Pierce, DT

New England Patriots
Patrick Chung, S
Dont'a Hightower, LB
Brandon Bolden, RB
Marcus Cannon, OT
Danny Vitale, FB
Najee Toran, OL

New Orleans Saints
Cole Wick, TE

New York Giants
-

New York Jets
Leo Koloamatangi, OL

Philadelphia Eagles
Marquise Goodwin, WR

San Francisco 49ers
-

Seattle Seahawks
Chance Warmack, G

Pittsburgh Steelers
-

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
-

Tennessee Titans
Anthony McKinney, OL

Washington Football Team
Caleb Brantley, DL
wulfy
MVP

dplank wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:05 pm I'm not gonna lie, I'm pissed off at Eddie and the other players opting out. I know the right thing to say is "good for them" and "safety first" and all that shit, but I'm pissed. 2020 has sucked hard, I just want some goddamn good football this fall and genuinely think our D is stacked so well that we could have made some noise. Now? Not so sure, we just went soft up the middle and we have two small/fast ILB's that need the big brute up front. This hurts a lot.

Fuckety fuck fuck, shitballs asshair
Dude has to take care of himself and his family, can't hate on him - especially if he does have a high risk health condition. That said, it stings and if Mack follows suit it will be a hard watch this year (if it happens). Especially if the rest of the division has little/no opt outs.

Now if Aaron really wanted to stick it to the Packers for drafting a QB ...... :flick:

Good thing the Bears refunded my season tickets.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

it's so funny that the nfl dropped training camp rosters from 90 to 80. such a ridiculous half measure and if anything they should be increasing them because they're going to need every UDFA they can get soon if this season is going to actually happen.
IE
Hall of Famer

Sorry if this is well-known... but what is the deadline for opt-out?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:34 pm Sorry if this is well-known... but what is the deadline for opt-out?
7 days from agreement, which wasn't done as of Sunday:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas- ... 0finalized

4. Voluntary Opt-Out: Any player can choose to opt out of playing in the 2020 NFL season. If a player wishes to opt out, he must provide his club with written notification (see below). If he has not done so, the player should report to Training Camp on time.

a. Voluntary Opt-Out deadline: Player must inform Club in writing within

seven (7) days of the date that the NFL and NFLPA finalize the side letter

agreement that includes the terms of such opt-outs. NFLPA will notify all

agents and players as soon as that side letter is finalized.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas- ... 435633.php
The NFLPA and NFL are currently finalizing the language that will reflect the CBA Amendments in a side letter, but we wanted to provide this important summary information as soon as possible given the short time before players begin to report to Training Camp
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

This sucks, but not as bad as it could have been. We do have John Jenkins who can at least help with the run game. Also, Bilal really beefed up this offseason. Would be a lot worse if we lost Akiem, Mack, Quinn, Roquan, or Fuller.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:17 pm I'd be speculating on what medical condition he has, but it's clear it makes him more susceptible to covid. Shit, just being "overweight" is a risk factor. I think that could apply to like 90% of DTs.

But yeah, this sucks.
Read he has asthma
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

https://sportsmockery.com/2020/07/playe ... e-goldman/

Here’s the one mentions asthma. Read a bunch of other pieces and no one else mentions it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:04 pm This sucks, but not as bad as it could have been. We do have John Jenkins who can at least help with the run game. Also, Bilal really beefed up this offseason. Would be a lot worse if we lost Akiem, Mack, Quinn, Roquan, or Fuller.
Jenkins absolutely SUCKS dude
Richie
MVP

I don't understand opting out unless YOU have a pre-existing condition which puts you at high risk.

I also do not understand the general attitude that opting out is "extremely understandable". You should have to give a very, very legitimate reason. About YOUR own health. This is your job. You're a professional. My boss expects me to work right now unless I have a tangible reason that I cannot. I don't know why it is any different for these guys.

My job also doesn't have millions of dollars worth of doctors, trainers, testing, etc. to help us along. Follow the protocols and do your job. I don't agree with this and I don't understand why it's so understood/applauded. I'm sick of hearing about people's pregnant wives too. Good lord. There's nothing that has come out about pregnant women being at higher risk. Nothing. You literally might as well just be saying "Hey, I have a wife. So..."
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:35 pm I don't understand opting out unless YOU have a pre-existing condition which puts you at high risk.

I also do not understand the general attitude that opting out is "extremely understandable". You should have to give a very, very legitimate reason. About YOUR own health. This is your job. You're a professional. My boss expects me to work right now unless I have a tangible reason that I cannot. I don't know why it is any different for these guys.

My job also doesn't have millions of dollars worth of doctors, trainers, testing, etc. to help us along. Follow the protocols and do your job. I don't agree with this and I don't understand why it's so understood/applauded. I'm sick of hearing about people's pregnant wives too. Good lord. There's nothing that has come out about pregnant women being at higher risk. Nothing. You literally might as well just be saying "Hey, I have a wife. So..."
lol. there is so much about this disease that we do not know, starting with it's long term effects. people keep parroting the idiotic line that healthy people have nothing to fear from covid 19, and every time a healthy person dies that does nothing to change the perception.

you dont get to stop working because we all live in a country that has always, from day one, valued making money over human life. life doesnt have to be that way but we're brainwashed to believe it does.

and that's what this is. you arent mad at these players who have gotten the chance to enact a degree of autonomy over their lives, you're mad at capitalism. you should channel that anger into something more constructive than getting mad that a bunch of grown men wont perform for your pleasure.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

(countdown to uok locking this thread)
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:12 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:04 pm This sucks, but not as bad as it could have been. We do have John Jenkins who can at least help with the run game. Also, Bilal really beefed up this offseason. Would be a lot worse if we lost Akiem, Mack, Quinn, Roquan, or Fuller.
Jenkins absolutely SUCKS dude
Still a big body. Won't help at all in the pass game, but he should at least keep blockers off of Roquan and Danny.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Sucks but he has to do what he feels is right and I can't hold it against him since I don't know all the details he's considering.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
IE
Hall of Famer

More players are opting out.

I think the "you have a job" thing is wrong. The players have a skill - a marketable commodity. They are all effectively self-employed. They're making a business decision if they don't play -they're foregoing current revenue because of some sort of business risk they perceive.

Since the more successful players can afford a business outage in many cases, I expect many to shutter their doors during the storm.
wulfy
MVP

I think the conspiracy theory on Belichek tanking for Lawrence is viable. If you follow Frank Caliendo on Twitter (you should he's been really great during the Quarantine), he has a funny video on it.
dplank
Hall of Famer

That defense is too good to think they'll be picking at the top of the draft. They typically have an assload of picks though, so maybe they are going to package a few picks and move up.
wulfy
MVP

So ... the beloved get a $4.85M cap good guy this year.

Annnnnddddd .... Snacks Harrison is still available. He is a hellova lane clogger.