DL Eddie Goldman opts out of 2020 season

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

good call man, that'd be a huge pickup no pun intended

Vikings are in the exact same position with Pierce opting out. Get on it Pace.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

I'm older with health issues so that reflects heavily in my view. As much as I love football, I believe until they find an effective vaccine, they should A- cancel the season, or B- shorten the season and play in a bubble.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Grizzly One wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:09 pm I'm older with health issues so that reflects heavily in my view. As much as I love football, I believe until they find an effective vaccine, they should A- cancel the season, or B- shorten the season and play in a bubble.
Well they definitely wasted all the time they had if they were going to ever go the bubble route.

MLBs non bubble looks like it's destined to fail right now...
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea it's crazy, I'm an Orioles fan and we were supposed to play Miami in a 2 and 2 home and away. First two in Miami were cancelled and I was thinking the home opener set would also be cancelled. Then the Yankees, who also couldn't play because of the Phillies, voted to come to Baltimore and play 2. Crazy times.

At least in football each team only travels 8 times a year. It should be more manageable.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:35 pm I don't understand opting out unless YOU have a pre-existing condition which puts you at high risk.

I also do not understand the general attitude that opting out is "extremely understandable". You should have to give a very, very legitimate reason. About YOUR own health. This is your job. You're a professional. My boss expects me to work right now unless I have a tangible reason that I cannot. I don't know why it is any different for these guys.

My job also doesn't have millions of dollars worth of doctors, trainers, testing, etc. to help us along. Follow the protocols and do your job. I don't agree with this and I don't understand why it's so understood/applauded. I'm sick of hearing about people's pregnant wives too. Good lord. There's nothing that has come out about pregnant women being at higher risk. Nothing. You literally might as well just be saying "Hey, I have a wife. So..."

This is a bad post
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:14 pm
Richie wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:35 pm I don't understand opting out unless YOU have a pre-existing condition which puts you at high risk.

I also do not understand the general attitude that opting out is "extremely understandable". You should have to give a very, very legitimate reason. About YOUR own health. This is your job. You're a professional. My boss expects me to work right now unless I have a tangible reason that I cannot. I don't know why it is any different for these guys.

My job also doesn't have millions of dollars worth of doctors, trainers, testing, etc. to help us along. Follow the protocols and do your job. I don't agree with this and I don't understand why it's so understood/applauded. I'm sick of hearing about people's pregnant wives too. Good lord. There's nothing that has come out about pregnant women being at higher risk. Nothing. You literally might as well just be saying "Hey, I have a wife. So..."

This is a bad post
https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/cov ... hbSvewqS1o
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

The season needs to just be canceled. Far more important things happening in the world than football
RichH55
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:35 pm
RichH55 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:14 pm

This is a bad post
Yep - it ain't the Flu
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Admin edit: Nope
Have a great day
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

I've talked to a few people who've had Covid. They all said it wasn't nearly as bad as the flu. The worst that any could say was that they lost their smell and taste for a few days. Otherwise, they said it didn't amount to anything. One of those knew of 56 people at their work who had it. No deaths and they all pretty much said the same thing.

So for some at least, it isn't even the flu. Nobody I know is afraid of catching it. I know I'm not. But then I'm pretty damn healthy. I am afraid of my mom in a Florida nursing home being exposed to it though.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

What did the dead people say Yogi? (woo-boy)

Inquiring minds want to know
GSH
MVP

Im not bothered by this in the slightest as it is highly improbable that we will have a season in 2020.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:36 pm I've talked to a few people who've had Covid. They all said it wasn't nearly as bad as the flu. The worst that any could say was that they lost their smell and taste for a few days. Otherwise, they said it didn't amount to anything. One of those knew of 56 people at their work who had it. No deaths and they all pretty much said the same thing.

So for some at least, it isn't even the flu. Nobody I know is afraid of catching it. I know I'm not. But then I'm pretty damn healthy. I am afraid of my mom in a Florida nursing home being exposed to it though.
You should probably get more information from reputable sources and less from personal anecdotes.

One study examined the cardiac MRIs of 100 people who had recovered from Covid-19 and compared them to heart images from 100 people who were similar but not infected with the virus. Their average age was 49 and two-thirds of the patients had recovered at home. More than two months later, infected patients were more likely to have troubling cardiac signs than people in the control group: 78 patients showed structural changes to their hearts, 76 had evidence of a biomarker signaling cardiac injury typically found after a heart attack, and 60 had signs of inflammation.
for example
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

This isn't a political statement Yogi... just a request to check the thinking.

- even though it is true that 80-90% of the people who contract the virus have milder symptoms or even no symptoms, the virus kills many people because of the large numbers involved (one per minute in the US this week)
- it spreads easily without people taking precautions, jumping from person to person until it finds a susceptible victim - and kills or maims them
- you're personally not afraid of getting it yourself because of your own confidence in your health and assumed personal small chance of being one of the unlucky healthy people who do die from it
- you are clearly not concerned about helping it spread, even though you would definitely spread it because that would happen before you knew you had it
- Your own mother is at risk of other people having that exact same mentality

Please think through all this a bit more
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

The flu kills roughly 30k a year in the USA, depending on which variant runs rampant any given year. In 4 months, we've lost over 150,000 americans to Covid19. And of course, that's ADDITIVE to the flu numbers, not a replacement of. Maybe folks will wake up now that Herman Cain died from it this morning and he apparently caught it at that Tulsa rally they never should have had. Impossible to say for sure, but he was in the hospital two weeks after the event. Karma's a bitch.

I'm selfishly mad at Eddie because I just want football and I want the Bears to win. But I fully recognize that I shouldn't feel this way and if I were in his shoes might do exactly the same thing. I'm still just hoping MLB can keep their shit together as I think if they end up cancelling we aren't going to have an NFL season.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

IE: Just expressing my personal feelings toward Covid. So many seem scared of it like it's a death sentence or something. It hasn't been for anybody I know or anybody that I know knows. Still, I wear a mask and practice social distancing. I certainly wouldn't want to give it to somebody who's susceptible to it, like my mother (who I won't see while this is going on, but then she's pretty depressed about that too). I also have no problem with players opting opt, particularly if they have something that makes it worse.

There just seems to be a whole lot of fear out there on it, and just speaking for myself and those around me, not really sacred of it at all for myself.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

In fairness to Yogi - He never claimed he talked to Herman Cain

Yogi you might want to check your blood type - If you are Type O you are less susceptible to harsher symptoms than Type A. - I do NOT know if that corresponds to the long term heart damage though
wab
Mod

This is going nowhere good.