Movies on Netflix

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

figured now would be a good time for us to share movie reviews

here are 3 that I watched recently that I enjoyed and give a solid thumbs up to :

68 Kill - thriller/drama with a spin or 2 of weird ... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5189894/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Traitor - Don Cheadle in a twisted spy thriller ... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0988047/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Polar - betrayed hitman who gets some serious payback ... https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4139588/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Letting my inner nerd out and watching original Star Trek series, lol.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Amazon Prime - watching The Hunters. Have one more episode to go. I am a little disappointed in the sound. When Pacino speaks, it comes across as muffled and at time we can't make out what he is saying. Turned the bass down all the way, no help. Tried thru the TV, no better.

Finished season 3 of 13 Reasons Why. Not as good as season 1.

I need to rewatch The Revenant and Hateful 8. Those 2 will take up a day right there.
wab
Mod

I just watched Spence Confidential. It was really good.

I also enjoyed Six Underground.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I watched the first season of Locke and Key with my 14 year old. It was surprisingly good and we burned through the season in 2 days.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Spenser Confidential was good. Big Marky Mark fan. Dude has just blown up over the year. I am a big fan of Shooter. I think I have watched that 20+ times. Whenever it is on and I am flipping channels, I gotta stop.

Deepwater Horizon was about my wife's 2nd cousin's husband (and the tragedy of course). The husband was a consultant for the movie and he and his wife (the cousin) got to spend time with Wahlburg and Kate Hudson). The cousin said Hudson was a bitch.
Xee
Site Admin

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:15 pm Letting my inner nerd out and watching original Star Trek series, lol.
By original I take it you mean the Kirk and Spock version? Just asking because there's been so many. haha

As another sci-fi fan, I'm into the second season of Altered Carbon on Netflix. Awesome show. Also highly recommend The Expanse on Amazon if you have it. That show just has amazing writing.
wab
Mod

Xee wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:38 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:15 pm Letting my inner nerd out and watching original Star Trek series, lol.
By original I take it you mean the Kirk and Spock version? Just asking because there's been so many. haha

As another sci-fi fan, I'm into the second season of Altered Carbon on Netflix. Awesome show. Also highly recommend The Expanse on Amazon if you have it. That show just has amazing writing.
Very much enjoyed The Expanse. I had a hard time getting into Altered Carbon.

I’ve gone back and started watching Firefly again too.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:35 pm
Xee wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:38 pm

Very much enjoyed The Expanse. I had a hard time getting into Altered Carbon.

I’ve gone back and started watching Firefly again too.
Was just hitting firefly again myself.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

CBS All Access has a first month free deal going. Enough time to binge watch Picard and cancel before the first bill.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Tiger King on Netflix is completely strange ... not really a documentary but sort of ... and everyone in it is their own special flavor of f'd up

a mind blowing fact the show presented - there are more tigers in captivity in the US than there are in the wild over the rest of the earth ... and if the characters in this show are a true representation, it is kind of sad that those keeping them don't really seem to have the tigers as their priority
George Carlin
Wounded Bear
MVP

Boris13c wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:15 pm Tiger King on Netflix is completely strange ... not really a documentary but sort of ... and everyone in it is their own special flavor of f'd up

a mind blowing fact the show presented - there are more tigers in captivity in the US than there are in the wild over the rest of the earth ... and if the characters in this show are a true representation, it is kind of sad that those keeping them don't really seem to have the tigers as their priority
If you like Tiger King, then you will probably also like, Don’t F*ck With Cats.. Just as bizarre documentary about how a bunch of Internet folk witness a guy killing a couple of kittens on Facebook. They try to hunt him down and it gets to be super bizarre. Many twists and turns.

Also,Molly’s Game about Olympic Skier Molly Bloom who after her skiing career hosts high stakes poker games and gets busted by the FBI (and no that is not a spoiler, that happens at the beginning of the movie).
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:47 pm
Boris13c wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:15 pm Tiger King on Netflix is completely strange ... not really a documentary but sort of ... and everyone in it is their own special flavor of f'd up

If you like Tiger King, then you will probably also like, Don’t F*ck With Cats.. Just as bizarre documentary about how a bunch of Internet folk witness a guy killing a couple of kittens on Facebook. They try to hunt him down and it gets to be super bizarre. Many twists and turns.

Also,Molly’s Game about Olympic Skier Molly Bloom who after her skiing career hosts high stakes poker games and gets busted by the FBI (and no that is not a spoiler, that happens at the beginning of the movie).
I didn't necessarily like Tiger King ... was kind of like watching a gruesome accident where you don't necessarily want to watch but can't stop

Molly's Game was excellent
George Carlin
wulfy
MVP

I’ve just started watching Mindhunter on Netflix .... really good, but make sure the kids are in bed before watching.
UOK
Site Admin

wulfy wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:38 am I’ve just started watching Mindhunter on Netflix .... really good, but make sure the kids are in bed before watching.
Mindhunter's awesome. Here's what else we've been watching:
  • Fixer Upper (Hulu) - it's a tacky formulaic show, but my wife and I are suckers for anything involving house renovations
  • I Am A Killer (Netflix) - actual murderers tell their stories and the filmmakers talk to the impacted families
  • What's My Line (Prime Video) - there's several collections of old timey game shows from the 1950's/60's on Amazon Prime Video and while we don't recognize too many of the celebrities, the show is still a fun watch even today
  • Hamilton (Disney+) - we love Hamilton
  • Holy Hell (Netflix) - 2016 documentary on a weird California cult that goes to all of the obvious extremes
  • Alone (Netflix) - I eat drink and sleep any survival in the wild shows, and while Netflix only has season 6, the show is awesome, and I want more
  • The Patriot (Netflix) - You can't go wrong with Mel Gibson killing redcoats with a tomahawk
  • Watchmen (HBO NOW) - It's super, super fucking weird how this show was maybe a year ahead of schedule on current events, but the story is absolutely phenomenal, and that's coming from somebody who is super jaded/bored of superhero schlock
  • House of Cards (Netflix) - It sucks to watch knowing that Kevin Spacey's a fucking creep and that the final season is janky because of that, but for a few seasons it was damn good television
  • Paranormal Activity (Netflix) - It was genuinely pretty scary to watch in theaters, but the years have not been kind to it
  • Jeopardy (Netflix) - I mean c'mon, it's Jeopardy
  • Supermarket Sweep (Netflix) - it's wonderfully embarrassing to see the fashion and products from the era, plus the show is just fucking absurd
  • American Horror Story (Netflix) - My wife loves this shit, but I think it's terrible
There's more, but I can't remember.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

If you like Fixer Upper ( I generally liked season 1, but it just got old to me after that. Same snarkyness, same shiplap, same trestle table in every effin house. likeable peeps though), I think you may like Good Bones and Home Town. Home Town is going the same way Fixer Upper did for me, it is getting old. Good Bones, mother, daughter duo in Indianapolis, redo some shitty homes and do not make the bank most other remodelers make on their shows. Just down home, Midwest people.

Been watching Bitchin Rides, Texas Medal and Iron Resurrection. All car shows. If only I had the money to have these peeps redo a car for me.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:06 am If you like Fixer Upper ( I generally liked season 1, but it just got old to me after that. Same snarkyness, same shiplap, same trestle table in every effin house. likeable peeps though), I think you may like Good Bones and Home Town. Home Town is going the same way Fixer Upper did for me, it is getting old. Good Bones, mother, daughter duo in Indianapolis, redo some shitty homes and do not make the bank most other remodelers make on their shows. Just down home, Midwest people.

Been watching Bitchin Rides, Texas Medal and Iron Resurrection. All car shows. If only I had the money to have these peeps redo a car for me.
Wife and I made a bingo sheet for when we watch Fixer Upper. Shiplap is the FREE spot, since it's essentially guaranteed. I'll check out those suggestions!
wab
Mod

My watch list is all over the place.

Alone - I'm with UOK, this show is incredible.

Love on the Spectrum (Netflix) - Super sweet and sometimes painfully awkward to watch, it's about people on various ends of the autism spectrum trying to figure out how to be in relationships.

Into the Badlands (Netflix) - Older show, but cool post-apocalyptic samurai stuff.

Warrior Nun (Netflix) - Extra cheesy series about a rando lady who gets super powers from an angel.

Man in the High Castle (Prime) - Hard to follow, but excellent series about alternate realities based on alternate outcomes of WW2

Cursed (Netflix) - Sort of a Knights of the Round Table origin series from the perspective of a girl with witch-y powers.

Down to Earth with Zac Effron (Netflix) - This is legitimately good and really makes you think a lot.

The Witcher (Netflix) - Just ok, I was excited about this and was pretty underwhelmed.

Waco (Netflix) - Living close to Waco, this was kind of a must watch.

Hunters (Prime) - Weird show about a rouge gang of people who hunt escaped Nazis in the 70's.

Carnival Row (Prime) - Fantasy show about a detective (kind of) who helps mystical creatures who have been cast out by society.

Mindhunter is awesome too. There's a lot of upcoming things I'm looking forward to:
Season 4 of Stranger Things
Season 2 of The Umbrella Academy
Transformers: War for Cybertron trilogy

As far as movies go, I'm pretty much a sucker for 80's and early 90's action movies. We've also been revisiting some movie series' like Divergent, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, The Matrix, stuff like that. I'm also trying to work my way through all the Marvel movies in their timeline order...I haven't made it very far though.

We've watched some ok streaming originals. Extraction (Netflix), My Spy (Prime), The Old Guard (Netflix), 6 Underground (Netflix), Spencer Confidential (Netflix), Palm Beach (Hulu)...

I'm sure there's a ton I'm missing.
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

Well I did it i just finished Star Trek Enterprise, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager. Every episode. I suppose I should try to find Picard and give that a shot.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Rockbear99 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:23 pm Well I did it i just finished Star Trek Enterprise, Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager. Every episode. I suppose I should try to find Picard and give that a shot.
Likewise.

Started watching Mars now.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Down to Earth with Zac Effron (Netflix) - This is legitimately good and really makes you think a lot.
I agree wab and I only saw the first episode. Opens up a lot of questions.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Pretty sure Alone seasons 1-2 are on Prime
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
UOK
Site Admin

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:38 pm Pretty sure Alone seasons 1-2 are on Prime
I'll check. Last I saw they were rent-only.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:21 pm
I agree wab and I only saw the first episode. Opens up a lot of questions.
I watched this first episode with my 14 year old. I had to bite my lip about how baked Zac and his buddy were through out the entire show.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

For those that enjoy sci-fi shows and haven't seen The Expanse on Amazon Prime yet, I highly recommend it.
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

Starting to like the Canadian TV shows. Last year I got hooked on Corner Gas. Now I am really liking Republic of Doyle
Noots
Assistant Coach

Fellow Sci-Fi Nerd here. I think my mind was most blown away by all 3 seasons of Dark, a German sci-fi series that just finished. I will warn you that you need to get over either the dubbing or the subtitles, and at some point, you'll need to go online and print up a family tree. So, it can be a challenge at first to follow, but I'll also say it's the best mind-frakking you'll ever get.

It was worth every minute I spent on it. I watched a few episodes of season one with Mrs. Noots and she dropped out. I finished the season and was so blown away that I printed up that family tree and rewatched it with her to explain what was happening. We were both hooked. I feel like there is so much packed into it, that you could watch it a second or even third time and still pick up more nuance.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Damn I bailed on it, wife didn't really like it as it was confusing and a little slow at first.
Xee
Site Admin

Noots wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:20 am Fellow Sci-Fi Nerd here. I think my mind was most blown away by all 3 seasons of Dark, a German sci-fi series that just finished. I will warn you that you need to get over either the dubbing or the subtitles, and at some point, you'll need to go online and print up a family tree. So, it can be a challenge at first to follow, but I'll also say it's the best mind-frakking you'll ever get.

It was worth every minute I spent on it. I watched a few episodes of season one with Mrs. Noots and she dropped out. I finished the season and was so blown away that I printed up that family tree and rewatched it with her to explain what was happening. We were both hooked. I feel like there is so much packed into it, that you could watch it a second or even third time and still pick up more nuance.
Thanks for the tip. After work slows down I'll give it a trying. Been jonesing for some good sci-fi since The Expanse wrapped up their last season.
docc
Head Coach

I watched Dark..interesting... I have had Netflix since it was only mail CDs. The kids used it..but since lock down I am sort of addicted..

Altered Carbon was good.. Last Kingdom also. Peaky Blinders excellent..