Update: Leonard Fournette signs w/ Bucs

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Iguana
Practice Squad

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:08 am https://sportsmockery.com/2020/08/rumor ... fournette/

Well, some dude on the internet thinks we are high on him for whatever that's worth.
Let's hope so.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:49 am The Bears just claimed him off waivers.
Source?

I'm not seeing that anywhere
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Iguana
Practice Squad

MoFugger wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:49 am The Bears just claimed him off waivers.
2a50d727ae8a99c98d0a903bf3baae6f.jpg
Hope so though....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Iguana wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:34 am
LT2_3 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:30 pm

LOL
Still waiting for Yogi to tell me them....
Are we still playing? If we are, I wouldn't want to get in the way of tradition. lol
Iguana
Practice Squad

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:41 pm
Iguana wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:34 am

Still waiting for Yogi to tell me them....
Are we still playing? If we are, I wouldn't want to get in the way of tradition. lol
of course we are. everyone but you realized that. check your team and let me know your keepers. Draft is sunday at 7 central
IE
Hall of Famer

The more I think about it, I think Pace has to take a chance on Lenny Joe Fournette. Yeah, Monty's coming back and he's shown some flashes. But what's wrong with creating a little real competition at the position? Monty's a 3rd round RB - he's no lucky sperm club guy who gets 3 years as a default starter. It's a perfect last minute add, with Lazor and Foles on board to help acclimate him.

The guy is a powerful and elusive runner, and last year showed he can put up Cohen-like numbers in the pass game. He's a legit threat carry-the-team RB like the Bears haven't had since Forte.

They have the money to spend - spend it and see how he fits. Although I think it's his natural positon, I don't think CPatt wants to be considered a running back. He'll do it but it isn't a real answer for the depth chart for the entire year.

I'm reminded it is "win now" for Nagy and Pace. That does't sound like "trust Nall, Pierce and a converted WR". It sounds like "get Fournette, and let's roll".
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
MoFugger
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:16 pm
Source?

I'm not seeing that anywhere
It was on Twitter.... And now it's not.

Looks like I took some bait.😞
Iguana
Practice Squad

IE wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:48 pm The more I think about it, I think Pace has to take a chance on Lenny Joe Fournette. Yeah, Monty's coming back and he's shown some flashes. But what's wrong with creating a little real competition at the position? Monty's a 3rd round RB - he's no lucky sperm club guy who gets 3 years as a default starter. It's a perfect last minute add, with Lazor and Foles on board to help acclimate him.

The guy is a powerful and elusive runner, and last year showed he can put up Cohen-like numbers in the pass game. He's a legit threat carry-the-team RB like the Bears haven't had since Forte.

They have the money to spend - spend it and see how he fits. Although I think it's his natural positon, I don't think CPatt wants to be considered a running back. He'll do it but it isn't a real answer for the depth chart for the entire year.

I'm reminded it is "win now" for Nagy and Pace. That does't sound like "trust Nall, Pierce and a converted WR". It sounds like "get Fournette, and let's roll".
Yea, if Monty is down long, I have zero confidence in what's left to carry the load.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Signing Fournette would have a major impact on "defining the identity of this offense" which was a topic Nagy himself raised in a call with the media just yesterday. If you go into this season with a backfield and run game of Fournette and Monty. With a TE room capable of running 12 personnel with regularity then you go a long way to dictating the identify of this team (and what kind of QB you need as well.)

Clearly, this would not be the offensive philosophy Matt Nagy had in mind when he came here from KC but that doesn't mean it would be a bad one, esp when you consider our talent under center and the type of Defense we should be putting forward this year.
Richie
MVP

IE wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:48 pm The more I think about it, I think Pace has to take a chance on Lenny Joe Fournette. Yeah, Monty's coming back and he's shown some flashes. But what's wrong with creating a little real competition at the position? Monty's a 3rd round RB - he's no lucky sperm club guy who gets 3 years as a default starter. It's a perfect last minute add, with Lazor and Foles on board to help acclimate him.

Fournette isn't very good, though. I don't see a single trait you can point to and go "he does that really well".

He's basically Jordan Howard if he had much worse vision at the LOS but a little more open field speed. I don't see how he fits.

He's not a good blocker and his passing numbers wound-up okay because of pure volume. He actually got worse in terms of catch% and Y/R (by a good deal). He also never scored in the passing game. You give most RB's 100 targets per year - they can notch 522 receiving yards. It's quite misleading. He's not an overly capable receiver.

He's also averaged under 4 YPC in two of his three seasons. I just don't see where he's "good" at anything.

Any hype over Fournette is just leftover college hype. That and the fact that he has always been a solid fantasy RB due to sheer volume in touches. He's a nothing special NFL back, though.

I mean, look... I don't really care about the RB position. I think on the scale of "long snapper" to "starting QB" - it's much, much closer to long snapper. So, that being said, he doesn't fumble a lot (i.e. he won't "hurt" you). So, sure, if we can get him on the cheap? I have zero issue with the signing.

The guy carrying the ball won't determine the success of our running game. The guys blocking for the ball carrier will. Also, if our passing game doesn't become serviceable. None of it matters and there's nothing to worry about anyway.
Richie
MVP

dplank wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:09 amDude was a beast his first year or two...don't think he fits our scheme very well though...
He averaged 3.9 and 3.3 YPC his first two seasons. Contributed a little more than nothing in the receiving game.

I feel like people just don't watch Jacksonville and it's kind of like in baseball with small market teams that are usually irrelevant. Everybody knows a few players and goes "Oh, but that guy is good." Even though they don't realize he just had one good year a little while back.

I feel like Fournette had hype out of college and made a few highlight reel runs early on. So, people accepted he was "a beast". He also posted good fantasy numbers because with Bortles being bad and the D in 2017, they just kept feeding him.

In reality, he hasn't stood out, at all.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Richie wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:42 am
He's basically Jordan Howard if he had much worse vision at the LOS but a little more open field speed. I don't see how he fits.

He's not a good blocker and his passing numbers wound-up okay because of pure volume. He actually got worse in terms of catch% and Y/R (by a good deal). He also never scored in the passing game. You give most RB's 100 targets per year - they can notch 522 receiving yards. It's quite misleading. He's not an overly capable receiver.

He's also averaged under 4 YPC in two of his three seasons. I just don't see where he's "good" at anything.
I'd take issue with some of your deductions here. Firstly, Jordan Howard does not have Fournette's breakaway capability. There is a clear separation on that front.

Last year he averaged 3.0 Yards after contact per attempt which is damn good for a between the tackles RB. For RB's with at least 100 attempts Derrick Henry was first at at 3.2, Nick Chubb was tied with Fournette for 2nd best at 3.0 and Saquon and Josh Jacobs were tied for 5th at at 2.8.

Also-- worth noting-- his yards before contact per attempt which is really a reflection of the O Line play (their ability to open holes or prevent defenders from quickly getting to the ball carrier) was terrible at 1.4 (4th lowest in the league for any RB with over 100 caries.)

His avg of rushing yards per attempt (4.3) is not bad for a guy running between the tackles and his 1 fumble in 265 carries is surpassed by only one player, Christian Mcaffrey.

Finally, his 522 receiving yards was surpassed by only one other RB, Kamara. Yes, his target volume was relatively high (still lower than Tarik Cohen) but I don't hold that against him. His yards per target (5.2) was just below the league avg for RBs (5.7) so I really can't fault that kind of production-- esp on a crappy offense.

You may be right that he's not a great fit for the Nagy offense but I don't think you can say he's a JAG coming off that kind of season, with those kind of measurables and that kind of draft capital and at the age of 25.
wab
Mod

How, he already cleared waivers...
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I'm leaning more towards liking the idea of signing him. Is he a savior? No. But he is a decent insurance policy if Montgomery can't go for a few days.
MoFugger
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:39 am
How, he already cleared waivers...
Yes. I fell for a false tweet 20 minutes before he cleared waivers.
I have already sent myself to timeout.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

NFL network just reported that Nagy told them he was not factoring into the team's plans.

So take that with a grain of salt.
G08
Hall of Famer

I think not only is Nall going to make the 53, he's going to get some legit burn at RB, FB and H-Back.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

Fake Schefter account.

He became a free agent and signed w/ Tampa.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Wheeuuuuuuuuu!!
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Umbali
MVP

Cant say I blame Fournette. Thats a good place to go to not just because of Brady and the weapons he has but it also keeps him in Florida with no state income tax lol.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
dplank
Hall of Famer

I hate the Bucs and the Tampa area in general (the city itself is ok). They are all in and I hope it fails bigtime and they struggle with their cap for years to come.
wab
Mod

I’m ok with the Bears passing on him. There’s a handful of people on this team with pretty intimate knowledge of Fournette... and if the Bears didn’t want him that tells me enough.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Kaiser wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:08 am
Richie wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:42 am

I'd take issue with some of your deductions here. Firstly, Jordan Howard does not have Fournette's breakaway capability. There is a clear separation on that front.

Last year he averaged 3.0 Yards after contact per attempt which is damn good for a between the tackles RB. For RB's with at least 100 attempts Derrick Henry was first at at 3.2, Nick Chubb was tied with Fournette for 2nd best at 3.0 and Saquon and Josh Jacobs were tied for 5th at at 2.8.

Also-- worth noting-- his yards before contact per attempt which is really a reflection of the O Line play (their ability to open holes or prevent defenders from quickly getting to the ball carrier) was terrible at 1.4 (4th lowest in the league for any RB with over 100 caries.)

His avg of rushing yards per attempt (4.3) is not bad for a guy running between the tackles and his 1 fumble in 265 carries is surpassed by only one player, Christian Mcaffrey.

Finally, his 522 receiving yards was surpassed by only one other RB, Kamara. Yes, his target volume was relatively high (still lower than Tarik Cohen) but I don't hold that against him. His yards per target (5.2) was just below the league avg for RBs (5.7) so I really can't fault that kind of production-- esp on a crappy offense.

You may be right that he's not a great fit for the Nagy offense but I don't think you can say he's a JAG coming off that kind of season, with those kind of measurables and that kind of draft capital and at the age of 25.

Does the fact that no NFL team claimed him at a relatively low 4 million cap number change your mind at all?
reggieg87
Rookie

An upgrade on Jones, but should push him to fight for his place. Enough touches between the 2 to give Brady rest during drives.