Bears agree to terms on deal with veteran DE Mario Edwards

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

docc
Head Coach

Chicago made a move on Sunday to bolster its defensive line.

Defensive end Mario Edwards, who spent last season with the Saints, has agreed to terms on a contract to join the Bears, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported, via an informed source. The terms of the deal are not yet known.

Edwards, 27, was released by New Orleans on cutdown day; he signed a two-year deal with the club in March 2019 after a one-year stint with the Giants. He turned in eight tackles, three sacks and a forced fumble in 14 games played under Sean Payton.

A second-round pick by the Raiders in 2015, Edwards spent his first three seasons in Oakland, two of which saw him take trips to injured reserve. He was limited to two games in 2016 due to a hip injury. He accumulated 71 total tackles, 5.5 sacks and 15 QB hits in 30 games (24 starts) before being waived in 2018.

The experienced Edwards joins a unit in Chicago that includes battle-tested veterans Akiem Hicks and Roy Robertson-Harris. He'll look to help replace the inside pressure lost by the absence of nose tackle Eddie Goldman, who opted out in July.
GSH
MVP

whose gets punted off to make room for him? vaughters?
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Saubert and Houston-Carson could also go
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Can’t remember which of the 7th round OL guys they kept but could move him to the practice squad. On the depth chart I think he only show up as the 3rd string RG.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Can’t remember which of the 7th round OL guys they kept but could move him to the practice squad. On the depth chart I think he only show up as the 3rd string RG.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:54 am Can’t remember which of the 7th round OL guys they kept but could move him to the practice squad. On the depth chart I think he only show up as the 3rd string RG.
Hsmbright it was LG
wab
Mod

I don't see them carrying 5 TE's for very long.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:12 am I don't see them carrying 5 TE's for very long.
Well Holtz is basically a FB or H Back and ST.

Saubert is the easiest to lose as he probably fills the same role as Harris. Everyone else offers something a little unique.

Perhaps he's this years Sowell.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Looks like it's Pineiro for the time being

https://sportsmockery.com/2020/09/right ... cker-news/
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

That's definite an unexpected surprise to the Bears, otherwise they would IRed him right away.

They're going to need to elevate Santos (and drop someone else) sooner or later - you can't protect & play him for long.

Also didn't realize they made a temp rule for coming back from IR so fast this year.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:03 pm That's definite an unexpected surprise to the Bears, otherwise they would IRed him right away.

They're going to need to elevate Santos (and drop someone else) sooner or later - you can't protect & play him for long.

Also didn't realize they made a temp rule for coming back from IR so fast this year.
Well I think with the new rule they can elevate Santos from the PS to the active roster twice for game days without exposing him to waivers. That takes care of 2 of the minimum 3 weeks Pineirio would have to be IR'd for...
Wounded Bear
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:44 am
The thing is that Sowell was a very competent backup offensive lineman. Whenever one of our linemen got hurt, I always felt pretty comfortable when Sowell came in to play.

But then he catches a touchdown on a gadget play and all of a sudden Nagy wants him to convert to Tight End. What the fuck was that all about? That was one of the dumbest experiments I’ve ever seen. Nagy took a pretty decent backup offensive lineman and turned him into a Tight End who nobody wants.

He’s still a Tight End and shockingly he’s a free agent. Go figure.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:08 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:44 am
The thing is that Sowell was a very competent backup offensive lineman. Whenever one of our linemen got hurt, I always felt pretty comfortable when Sowell came in to play.

But then he catches a touchdown on a gadget play and all of a sudden Nagy wants him to convert to Tight End. What the fuck was that all about? That was one of the dumbest experiments I’ve ever seen. Nagy took a pretty decent backup offensive lineman and turned him into a Tight End who nobody wants.

He’s still a Tight End and shockingly he’s a free agent. Go figure.
To be an NFL O lineman, you have to be willing to force eat around 6000 calories a day. The extra weight isn't good for most people.
Maybe Nagy floated the idea to Sowell, but I doubt that he went along with it unwillingly.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm eating about 2500 a day right now trying to lose weight as I have my 50th birthday coming up in Feb. Started off as Akiem Hicks, hoping to be closer to Bradley Sowell by time it's here. Down 28 lbs so far by just counting calories and exercising - it's really not that complicated. I have a friend doing a keto thing and I kept telling her not to do it because she wasn't sticking with it religiously, which defeated the whole point as she would never get into ketosis. Sure enough, she tortured herself and still gained weight.

Eating a HEALTHY 6000 calories a day would be hard. But an unhealthy 6000 calories? Not too hard. One bacon cheeseburger from Five Guys with french fries is 2200 calories alone. :? That's why Shaheen's Chipotle weight gain was such a laughing stock, those burritos are about 1,000 calories depending on what you put in them. You can do better with a bowl and nix the tortilla.

Interesting aside, there's a Chipotle near me that I went to before I started dieting and it seemed like every time I went there, there were a bunch of super athletic kids in there. I mean, like ripped guys that looked like pro athletes. Bunches of them, every single time, in training gear. So I asked one of the guys that worked there about it and he said "This is where Lamar Jackson grew up, his HS and training center are right up the road, these guys are all from that training center." And they would eat these protein bowls full of chicken and brown rice. Too bad Shaheen didn't do that lol...
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/293 ... retirement
I remember some guys were strict about 6000 a day, but after reading this, some of these guys were easily upwards around 8000
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:04 am I'm eating about 2500 a day right now trying to lose weight as I have my 50th birthday coming up in Feb. Started off as Akiem Hicks, hoping to be closer to Bradley Sowell by time it's here. Down 28 lbs so far by just counting calories and exercising - it's really not that complicated. I have a friend doing a keto thing and I kept telling her not to do it because she wasn't sticking with it religiously, which defeated the whole point as she would never get into ketosis. Sure enough, she tortured herself and still gained weight.

Eating a HEALTHY 6000 calories a day would be hard. But an unhealthy 6000 calories? Not too hard. One bacon cheeseburger from Five Guys with french fries is 2200 calories alone. :? That's why Shaheen's Chipotle weight gain was such a laughing stock, those burritos are about 1,000 calories depending on what you put in them. You can do better with a bowl and nix the tortilla.

Interesting aside, there's a Chipotle near me that I went to before I started dieting and it seemed like every time I went there, there were a bunch of super athletic kids in there. I mean, like ripped guys that looked like pro athletes. Bunches of them, every single time, in training gear. So I asked one of the guys that worked there about it and he said "This is where Lamar Jackson grew up, his HS and training center are right up the road, these guys are all from that training center." And they would eat these protein bowls full of chicken and brown rice. Too bad Shaheen didn't do that lol...
Good for you!
I've always been able to add or drop weight to stay between 235-265. For me it's an easy calories in vs calories out. I tried the atkins diet and actually gained weight on it.
my wife counted calories and couldn't lose weight to save her life. Then she started to do a metabolic program and really limited bad calories. Her program stresses stay off the scale for 6 months and only do tapings at 5 different points on the body. She's losing several inches off her face, high waist, mid section and hips.