Dan Patrick: Tom Brady was nearly a Bear

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/ ... offseason/

“The final list that Brady was looking at, the Chargers, the Bears, and the Buccaneers. I was told this yesterday. I said ‘wait a minute, the Bears?’ [Source] said yes. Brady was considering the Bears, the Chargers were a long shot because of the west coast…the fact that he was considering the Bears, Chicago at least – because he wanted to be [close] in proximity to New York where his son is…but ended up taking Tampa Bay.”
Umbali
MVP

Seems like an extreme long shot. We have the D in place but so did the Patriots. We have 1 main WR but so did the Patriots. Our O- line was leaky and our run game sucked. At that time no viable TE on the roster. Cant even see why he would have an interest.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Dang.

We missed out on an Open Competition between Mitch and Brady.

:wink:
:taunt:
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:42 pm Seems like an extreme long shot. We have the D in place but so did the Patriots. We have 1 main WR but so did the Patriots. Our O- line was leaky and our run game sucked. At that time no viable TE on the roster. Cant even see why he would have an interest.
Oh I don't know. The most successful QB in NFL history joining the team with the worst QB record in NFL history might have had a certain appeal, especially when they have a championship-calibre defense in place. Can you imagine how much it would have added to his legend if he'd won a Super Bowl with the QB and championship-starved Bears?
Wounded Bear
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:35 pm Dang.

Yeah, no shit. Pace probably told him that he would have to beat out Mitch. Brady dodged a bullet since we did little to beef up our offensive line.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Umbali
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:42 pm
Umbali wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:42 pm Seems like an extreme long shot. We have the D in place but so did the Patriots. We have 1 main WR but so did the Patriots. Our O- line was leaky and our run game sucked. At that time no viable TE on the roster. Cant even see why he would have an interest.
Oh I don't know. The most successful QB in NFL history joining the team with the worst QB record in NFL history might have had a certain appeal, especially when they have a championship-calibre defense in place. Can you imagine how much it would have added to his legend if he'd won a Super Bowl with the QB and championship-starved Bears?
Maybe but the overriding desire to win a SB without being linked to Belichick , surely played into going somewhere with good weather, no state income taxes...closer to Brazil, and GREAT WRs and oh yah not a shabby defense. Just dont even see the reality of him actually wanting to come here.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Ormazd
MVP

Wounded Bear wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:40 pm

Yeah, no shit. Pace probably told him that he would have to beat out Mitch. Brady dodged a bullet since we did little to beef up our offensive line.
Sorry for going slightly off topic, but I'm sure we have a few Illinois basketball fans here and this reminds me of a sad story. The hapless Bruce Weber was recruiting Derrick Rose, and told him he would have to compete with Chester Frazier for playing time.
Rose went to Memphis and the rest is history.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Crazy to think about.

Seriously though, I am as interested to see how this Brady thing works out in Tampa. I mean time eventually has to catch up with him.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:25 am Crazy to think about.

Seriously though, I am as interested to see how this Brady thing works out in Tampa. I mean time eventually has to catch up with him.
Yea, I'm not too bummed we missed out. I think this year time really catches up with him. Some signs had already started.

Plus fuck Brady and everything Pat's culture.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Ormazd wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:15 am

Sorry for going slightly off topic, but I'm sure we have a few Illinois basketball fans here and this reminds me of a sad story. The hapless Bruce Weber was recruiting Derrick Rose, and told him he would have to compete with Chester Frazier for playing time.
I doubt that Rose had what it took to actually qualify for the U of I and he probably couldn't find anyone to take the ACT/SAT test for him in IL.
reggieg87
Rookie

It is crazy that Brady pushed Tampa to predicted 3rd in NFC!

https://www.sportsbetting3.com/nfl/nfl-betting#futures

Of course Gronk helped, and now Fournette, but are they really going to be pushing for the Super Bowl?

Clowney would have been an interesting addition to the D! Antonio Brown for 2nd half of the season maybe?
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Ormazd wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:15 am

Playing time isn't what took Rose to Memphis.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
spudbear
MVP

I'm imagining Fat Patricia game planning for Tom Terrific in the season opener. Heh. Could have made an interesting matchup that the media would have played up.
Agreed that GOAT Tom is not what he used to be, has a fork sticking out his back and just vapors left in the tank. Arians better get a better running attack to help poor old Tom. Gronk is out of it and there's a reason Fournette was on the open market.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Richie
MVP

I mean, our line has played pretty good two games in.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... therf-ker/

Absolutely going to assume this was in reference to the beloved
Z Bear
MVP

Most have speculated he was talking about Jimmy G and San Fran. Kind of hard to hear a team would rather stick with your former pine riding back up than you.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Or he was just talking out of his arse.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i think everyone forgot that it was rumored chicago was in the running too, though. jimmy was just the easy narrative people latched onto.
i think tom has a relationship with jimmy and i do not think he'd throw him under the bus like that.
spudbear
MVP

Just saw that story too, and I can imagine GOAT getting a little pissed off that anyone would consider giving Mitch another chance rather than trying to get the services of Tom Terrific. It's just as well, as TB would have gone hoarse yelling at the Bears OL and WR's during a game. Wonder what was going through his head that Monday night when Khalil was serving up dirt sandwiches for him?

Imagine Gronk and Graham on the same roster? Even better would have been the power struggle between Nagy and Brady. While Nagy would have got his pocket passer, Brady would be calling his own plays and wave Nagy off. I have a hunch Brady would have intimidated Nagy and called the shots.

Oh yeah, re-read my prediction from above. Good thing I don't bet on football.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
G08
Hall of Famer

IIRC Brady was a huge 49ers fan growing up
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

IE
Hall of Famer

2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

There was no way he was coming to Chicago. The team might have been on his list, but he wanted warmer weather and a more stable situation, a proven coach and a better OL. TB and SF would have provided that.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:19 am Wonder who he was talking about.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tom-brad ... d5b9ac1579
Hmmmmm....let me guess.

So how about this?

We sign Tom Brady last year. Gronk comes with him.

How would we have done?

We got into the playoffs with our tail between our legs reliant upon a patchwork OL and Mitch / Foles.

Then from a Game Theory perspective, I doubt we wind up drafting Fields this offseason. If Fields does what we believe he can do, wouldn't we be better off with being shitty last season and getting Fields for the next 15 years? We won't know until year 3 of Fields.

If it meant an NFC Championship Game appearance, would you fire up the Flux Capacitor and sign Brady and Gronk knowing you'd miss out on Fields?
IE
Hall of Famer

I think a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. So yeah Fields was never considered potential to go to Bears, and the future changes. If you have Bush and Gronk you don't sign Graham and you're all-in. You don't protect Brady with Coward... so money goes to other FA OL with guys like Mack and Hicks restructuring. Daniels and Cohen were never hurt, and the Bears hoist a trophy with an eye toward back-to-back rings.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

There is no way he's talking about the Bears.

Pace and Nagy are NOT that stupid. Brady would have been crowned the starter the moment he signed, They had already wanted to replace Mitch, but waivered only slightly when it was Foles.

Come on guys! :frustrated:
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
wab
Mod

The Bears reportedly offered him a deal, but he didn't want to play in the cold - he was pretty clear about his desire to play home games in warm weather and in a tax-friendly state. So yeah, I don't think Mitch would've stood in the way of Brady becoming a Bear at all. Like Grizz said, they were pretty much done with Mitch already.

I personally think he's talking about the Raiders. There was serious mutual interest between the two parties, and the Raiders were actually considered the front-runners according to a lot of people. But they reportedly didn't feel comfortable offering him a contract based on his age and the fact that his 2019 film didn't show he was a any improvement over Carr.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:54 pm
IE wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:19 am Wonder who he was talking about.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tom-brad ... d5b9ac1579
Hmmmmm....let me guess.

So how about this?

We sign Tom Brady last year. Gronk comes with him.

How would we have done?

We got into the playoffs with our tail between our legs reliant upon a patchwork OL and Mitch / Foles.

Then from a Game Theory perspective, I doubt we wind up drafting Fields this offseason. If Fields does what we believe he can do, wouldn't we be better off with being shitty last season and getting Fields for the next 15 years? We won't know until year 3 of Fields.

If it meant an NFC Championship Game appearance, would you fire up the Flux Capacitor and sign Brady and Gronk knowing you'd miss out on Fields?
If it was a Super Bowl, yes anything short of that, I like where we are going forward at this point. If somehow we could have worked out the salary cap to land him, I think him being here now would mean no Graham (but Gronk gets that money), no Foles (big loss) and no Robinson this year. (I guess maybe if Brady is here Robinson may work out something to stay but still think it would be hard to get in under the cap).
IE
Hall of Famer

Yeah I don't think it was the Bears. It could have been a half-dozen teams. I'll guess Niners because there might be a little Jimmy G "zing" in Brady's comments. To me a "I've always been better than him" ego thing seems like a good reason for goat to drop f bombs.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:47 pm Yeah I don't think it was the Bears. It could have been a half-dozen teams. I'll guess Niners because there might be a little Jimmy G "zing" in Brady's comments. To me a "I've always been better than him" ego thing seems like a good reason for goat to drop f bombs.
My thought was the 49ers too.
Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

Tom Brady was never going to sign with Chicago. The salary cap hit alone wouldn't have let it happen. Brady wanted to get paid after giving NE years of team friendly discounts and pay cuts.