Trubisky Named Starter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:39 am
wab wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:02 am Just so we are clear, I'm gonna talk so much shit if Mitch lights it up this season.
And if he doesn't?
Then I won't
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:02 am Just so we are clear, I'm gonna talk so much shit if Mitch lights it up this season.
And if he doesn't?
Then YOU get to talk so much shit.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:41 am
G08 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:01 am
BEST THING we can do, offensively, is protect him and give him clean pockets so he can get some live reps under his belt with his new mechanics. If he's getting bombarded left and right, my concern is that he will revert back to what he has been doing mechanically lately (he was so much better as a rookie, mechanically, than he was last season).
Hence why I wanted a professional grade LT on this team this offseason G08. And why now that Trubisky "won" the job in a whopping 10 practice sessions (seems clear this was always going to happen) that Pace's offseason plan was not great. A lot of things all have to go right for this to work, here's hoping....
The LT thing was never happening. It just wasn't. You didn't have to be Nostradamus to see that coming. A new backup that could push and/or replace Mitch was always the plan. It was clear as day after the Rams game.

I would have absolutely preferred Trent Williams to Nick Foles, but it was just never going to happen.
dplank
Hall of Famer

bbaker wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:40 pm
Mitch's attitude and demeanor clearly changed after he was benched against the Rams. He seemed to have a chip on his shoulder and seemed like he wasn't as worried about upsetting Nagy; and for the most part looked like a lot better QB to my eyes. The game against the Cowboys was DAMN impressive.
Hey bbaker good to see you here bud...I just saw this and totally agree! I said all last year that Nagy needed to get out of the kids face all the damn time and let him be his own man out there. He was overcoached IMO, thinking too much, scared to make a mistake. And I saw exactly what you saw, late in the season he seemed to basically say "screw it, I'm just gonna play", and he looked like a better quarterback. Even in that loss to GB that ended our season, I thought that was his most gutsy performance I'd seen from him. The stats weren't great, but he balled out under extreme duress the entire game and kept us in it. I really, really hope this carries over in to 2020!
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:46 am

Hence why I wanted a professional grade LT on this team this offseason G08. And why now that Trubisky "won" the job in a whopping 10 practice sessions (seems clear this was always going to happen) that Pace's offseason plan was not great. A lot of things all have to go right for this to work, here's hoping....
The LT thing was never happening. It just wasn't. You didn't have to be Nostradamus to see that coming. A new backup that could push and/or replace Mitch was always the plan. It was clear as day after the Rams game.

I would have absolutely preferred Trent Williams to Nick Foles, but it was just never going to happen.
hmmm duplicate post and don't know how to delete my bad
Last edited by dplank on Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I knew they weren't doing it, but I have yet to hear a good reason why not. I like thinking out of the box, that's how you win in a salary cap league that does everything they can to keep competitive balance. Trent WIlliams was just begging to be picked up, and the only thing that stopped us was a false premise of "we can't overspend at one position for a year". I just wanted Pace to think differently, even though I knew they wouldn't.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:43 am

And if he doesn't?
Then I won't
So.... Put no prediction out there but talk mad shit if others are wrong? Weak tea bud!
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:49 am

I knew they weren't doing it, but I have yet to hear a good reason why not.
The simple answer? Charles Leno isn't a swing tackle. It would have forced them into having a roster spot tied up in an offensive lineman that can only play one position. Or they would have had to cut him, which is arguably too expensive this year.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:52 am
wab wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:43 am

Then I won't
So.... Put no prediction out there but talk mad shit if others are wrong? Weak tea bud!
What exactly are you wanting me to predict?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Chiefs vs Texans Thursday Night was a display of the 2 QB's the Bears could have taken, and fair or not, that is the standard Trubisky will be compared to forever

Mahomes has turned out to be the best QB drafted that year, but Watson is a very close competitor ... both show control of their respective offenses ... both are mobile ... both make their throws with decisive authority ... the only shit throw I recall from the game was when Watson got clobbered as he threw and it ended up as an intercepted duck

I don't think Trubisky has the basic skill set of either Mahomes or Watson, but I do think he has a skill set to be successful in the NFL ... so he can't try to be Mahomes or Watson ... he needs to be the best Trubisky ... and for whatever reasons, we have only seen his best in spurts of success ... and it is this lack of consistency that is maddening

I am still hopeful he is simply a slow developer, and it will eventually all click for him ... having it click this season would be perfect
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:56 am
dplank wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:52 am

Just having fun man.... :?

But what do you think is going to happen with Mitch, is he going to break out this year or flop?
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:21 am
wab wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:56 am

But what do you think is going to happen with Mitch, is he going to break out this year or flop?
I'd love to tell you I have all the confidence in the world when it comes to Mitch. But I don't. I think he will be improved. I'm looking for him to revert more to his 2018 self with growth in his decision making.

If he flops, I'm totally on board with Tanking for Trevor.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Put me at the top of that list. And I hope you're right.

However if Foles becomes the Savior, I will never stop. Every thread, every comment....

OK, well maybe not that....Stay tuned.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:04 am Chiefs vs Texans Thursday Night was a display of the 2 QB's the Bears could have taken, and fair or not, that is the standard Trubisky will be compared to forever

Mahomes has turned out to be the best QB drafted that year, but Watson is a very close competitor ... both show control of their respective offenses ... both are mobile ... both make their throws with decisive authority ... the only shit throw I recall from the game was when Watson got clobbered as he threw and it ended up as an intercepted duck
Well, there was the 3rd and 18 dump off pass early on that Mahomes threw over the head of the receiver that Bears fans would have moaned about if it had been Trubisky. Oh and the ball that went nowhere near a Chiefs receiver that the Texans DB should have picked off but couldn't make the low diving catch, which would have had Bears fans screaming at their screens if it had been Trubisky and yelling for Nick Foles. Or how about the other one that the Texan DB caught at the back of the end zone but couldn't get his second foot down, which would have been classed as another 'near' interception if it had been Trubisky even though it was also nullified by an illegal contact penalty. Oh and the one Mahomes lobbed up into triple coverage that was picked but got called back because of another foul that didn't negate the poor decision in the slightest and again would have had Bears fans despairing if it was Trubisky?

The big difference is that when the likes of Mahomes and Watson make bad throws they get forgotten about because of all the great ones they make. That's the challenge for Trubisky - make enough quality throws that fans start forgiving you for the occasional bad ones. If he does that early then his confidence could soar and he could take off. If he doesn't then the calls for him to be replaced with Foles will be deafening.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:33 am
dplank wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:21 am

I'd love to tell you I have all the confidence in the world when it comes to Mitch. But I don't. I think he will be improved. I'm looking for him to revert more to his 2018 self with growth in his decision making.

If he flops, I'm totally on board with Tanking for Trevor.
Ah, you know that virtually never happens with the Bears. They always manage to be not quite bad enough.
And for one of the very rare exceptions...they get Mitch.

If Trubs bombs, they're going to have to skip playing Foles in the exact scenario they got him for, in favor of Bray, in order to play their way into the top QB. Even then, I think the defense would probably win too many games for a top 3 pick.

Now if Mitch and Foles disappoint badly, I'd be perfectly happy to draft a R4 QB, make them the starter, maybe trade a couple of older defensive pieces and try to tank 2021 (unless a top FA opportunity presents itself, and they usually don't).
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I know tanking for Lawrence is a pipe dream. The Bears defense alone gets them 6 wins.

I expect Mitch to be better than last year. Not Mahomes, not Lamar Jackson, not Russel Wilson. Just better. Ryan Tannehill-ish.

If he can just be better, the Bears could win 10-12 games.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:06 pm I know tanking for Lawrence is a pipe dream. The Bears defense alone gets them 6 wins.

I expect Mitch to be better than last year. Not Mahomes, not Lamar Jackson, not Russel Wilson. Just better. Ryan Tannehill-ish.

Hell yes! This is my hope as well. Just play steady football, make the easy throws, do enough so you don't gas your elite defense, and we should have a winning record. If he does a little better than that, which is possible, we could with 12+. If he totally shits the bed, which is also possible, then we'll be drafting a QB next year. Fields would be a nice consolation prize since Trevor is going to Jacksonville lol...
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:16 pm If he totally shits the bed, which is also possible, then we'll be drafting a QB next year. Fields would be a nice consolation prize since Trevor is going to Jacksonville lol...
2021 is going to be such a wretched year for drafting QB. Everyone's going to have 1, maybe 2 if you're lucky, years of FT starting. And the recent returns on inexperienced QBs hasn't been good...
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:16 pm
wab wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:06 pm I know tanking for Lawrence is a pipe dream. The Bears defense alone gets them 6 wins.

Hell yes! This is my hope as well. Just play steady football, make the easy throws, do enough so you don't gas your elite defense, and we should have a winning record. If he does a little better than that, which is possible, we could with 12+. If he totally shits the bed, which is also possible, then we'll be drafting a QB next year. Fields would be a nice consolation prize since Trevor is going to Jacksonville lol...
Might be going to the Pats. I think they are going to stink up the place. They started looking bad last year and that was with Brady. They may have the worst WR in modern NFL history; Cam is one play from falling into 29 pieces; they lost 8-9 starters who opted out for COVID; their draft class was guys who look more like projects than instant starters. I think they are using this as a reboot year. (Although if they were doing that they likely wouldn't have signed Cam).
WP.1
Player of the Month

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:48 am
Boris13c wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:04 am Chiefs vs Texans Thursday Night was a display of the 2 QB's the Bears could have taken, and fair or not, that is the standard Trubisky will be compared to forever

Well, there was the 3rd and 18 dump off pass early on that Mahomes threw over the head of the receiver that Bears fans would have moaned about if it had been Trubisky. Oh and the ball that went nowhere near a Chiefs receiver that the Texans DB should have picked off but couldn't make the low diving catch, which would have had Bears fans screaming at their screens if it had been Trubisky and yelling for Nick Foles. Or how about the other one that the Texan DB caught at the back of the end zone but couldn't get his second foot down, which would have been classed as another 'near' interception if it had been Trubisky even though it was also nullified by an illegal contact penalty. Oh and the one Mahomes lobbed up into triple coverage that was picked but got called back because of another foul that didn't negate the poor decision in the slightest and again would have had Bears fans despairing if it was Trubisky?

The big difference is that when the likes of Mahomes and Watson make bad throws they get forgotten about because of all the great ones they make. That's the challenge for Trubisky - make enough quality throws that fans start forgiving you for the occasional bad ones. If he does that early then his confidence could soar and he could take off. If he doesn't then the calls for him to be replaced with Foles will be deafening.
right. QB play nothing to rave about yesterday especially Watson.

and included key word with our main issue
MT had never confidence. 4th year in NFL its too late to build up confidence.
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

WP.1 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:53 pm and included key word with our main issue
“I just found my confidence this offseason when I figured out it was going to be a competition. I mean, something had to change... Just talking to my support cast and family and friends and reaching out for advice, I found my confidence again. I came in here with a different attitude and mindset, and... there’s gonna be no regrets. I’m not even worried about outcomes. I’m just worried about putting my best foot forward.” - Trubisky 2020

It's notable he doesn't mention his coaches, but at this point in his career he's got absolutely nothing to lose; he can literally throw caution to the wind. If he starts well his confidence could snowball. It's a big if...
G08
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:29 pm
WP.1 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:53 pm and included key word with our main issue
“I just found my confidence this offseason when I figured out it was going to be a competition. I mean, something had to change... Just talking to my support cast and family and friends and reaching out for advice, I found my confidence again. I came in here with a different attitude and mindset, and... there’s gonna be no regrets. I’m not even worried about outcomes. I’m just worried about putting my best foot forward.” - Trubisky 2020

It's notable he doesn't mention his coaches, but at this point in his career he's got absolutely nothing to lose; he can literally throw caution to the wind. If he starts well his confidence could snowball. It's a big if...
He needs to go out there with his guys, play loose and have fun. Let the chips fall where they may, but do NOT beat yourself mentally.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Richie
MVP

jamus34 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:02 am
Richie wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:51 pm

The reason Mitch's footwork and fundamentals breakdown is because the game moves so fast around him. You can work with Mitch's footwork on an empty field all you want. But when the game starts and it's the real thing? It will always collapse for him.

At least, I think. I hope I am wrong and he is improved.
Not saying he will ever get to that place and there have been many QB's who actually had good fundamentals also bomb out but that's what I think his issue is. Our porous line certainly hasn't helped his growth at all either.
I mean, his line was good his first two years and dipped but not to the extent that people make it out to be. They were slightly below average. For a frame of reference, they finished ranked only one spot behind KC on PFF on the season. Trubisky sacks himself, a ton. Nagy and Mitch themselves have talked about that.

Trubisky faced pressure on 32% of his dropbacks, according to PFF. Of quarterbacks who had over half of their teams pass attempts in 2019, 27 quarterbacks, Trubisky ranks 18th in percent of dropbacks where he faced pressure. Only nine quarterbacks saw less pressure. He ranks 15th in the NFL in getting hit as he throws as well. He also ranks fourth-best at getting balls batted down by defenders."

However, when it comes to taking sacks, Trubisky ranks fifth. That is where the narrative comes from. The issue is less about the offensive line and more about Trubisky under pressure.

Trubisky ranks sixth in pressure rate minus sack rate. Only Kyle Allen, Derek Carr, Andy Dalton, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Kyler Murray get sacked at a higher rate when they face pressure. The issue is not that the line is allowing pressure; it is that when Trubisky faces pressure, he takes sacks more than an average quarterback. The average time of sack for Trubisky is 4.04 seconds. This is the fourth-highest rate in the NFL. He can scramble and keep plays alive, but generally, he is taking sacks out of structure when the play breaks down, not because his offensive line got beat immediately.

These numbers are backed up by having the worst completion rate in the NFL under pressure, and the worst passer rating as well. This is not affected by throwaways either; he ranks 23rd out of those 27 in throwing the ball out of bounds to live another down. While others are throwing the ball away, to avoid pressure, he is taking sacks to make his line look worse. He does not function well under pressure, which overrates how often he actually was under pressure.

So, sure, he faced a little more pressure than average last year. However, how much he let that impact his play was unacceptable on a variety of levels. Which is backed up by a lot of separate numbers.
Richie
MVP

G08 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:44 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:29 pm

He needs to go out there with his guys, play loose and have fun. Let the chips fall where they may, but do NOT beat yourself mentally.
Another season. Another 16 weeks filled of G08 making his staple "I just want to see the kid go out and sling it!" posts each week.

;)

Just busting your balls, bud. I hope you had a decent spring/summer despite all this mess. Go Bears!
DevilsProspect
Pro Bowler

I blame Trubisky’s downfall last season on the girlfriend. 🤷🏼‍♂️
AC 46Blitz
tjs
Journeyman

DevilsProspect wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:29 am I blame Trubisky’s downfall last season on the girlfriend. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Women. Weaken. Legs.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

DevilsProspect wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:29 am I blame Trubisky’s downfall last season on the girlfriend. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Well for goodness sake, tell your girlfriend to leave him alone!
G08
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:51 pm
G08 wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:44 pm

Another season. Another 16 weeks filled of G08 making his staple "I just want to see the kid go out and sling it!" posts each week.

;)

Just busting your balls, bud. I hope you had a decent spring/summer despite all this mess. Go Bears!
That's all I want man! Shit or get off the pot.

I'm good brother, hope you are well, BEAR DOWN!!!

wab
Mod

I do t think ill be talking much shit this season....