Wk1 DET - Game Balls and Bananas

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

spudbear
MVP

Both teams tried hard to lose, but Detroit tried a little harder. Thanks to a doink and a drop, the Bears came away with an undeserved win, but a W is a W. I'm guessing fat Patricia didn't sleep so well last night.

Game Balls
- Miller: He was quiet most of the game, but made some clutch catches including the game winner. Helluva catch for the TD.
- EJackson: He was the anchor of the Bears DB and unfortunately had to clean up too many plays. His tip of the Stafford pass led to the Fuller INT.
- Montgomery: He played hurt, played his guts out and had a great game. Glad to see Nagy calling more running plays. Cohen had a good game too.
- OL: While many were VERY worried about the OL they came through against Detroit and played well together. Ifedi looked solid.

Game Bananas
- Pagano: The D did not come ready to play. Peterson was gashing them for big runs and Stafford was rarely pressured. Yeah, we can cry about Goldman being out and Quinn not dressing, but he had all preseason to get this unit together (mostly returning starters) and they struggled.
- Mitch and Matt: Don't know if it was execution or play calling, but the Bears had a hard time scoring until the end of the game. The Lions DB's were depleted yet the Bears did not take advantage of that. I suppose you could blame first game rust with no preseason games, but the same crap happened last year too. Year 3 of this marriage is not looking promising.
- Skrine: Guess we can see why Pace tried mightily to bring in more CB help. Skrine seemed to be around nearly every big Detroit pass reception. Difficult to tell if he has regressed from last year or he's just on the field more and getting shown up. Rookie Johnson did well in his debut.
- Background crowd noise: Felt like white noise being generated. Didn't match the game and it was aggravating to hear. I suppose they wanted to drown out the cursing and trash talk on the field.

Hope Pagano can figure out the run D or Barkley will light them up. Hope Mitch and Matt see what they did well in the 4th qtr and utilize that for the game plan for the WHOLE game. Hope Quinn is back and healthy soon.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
grendel2000
Journeyman

Re: Fake crowd noise.

I found it odd as well, but I think the alternative would be worse. Watching a game with no fan noise would be deeply disturbing I think. What they need is someone "playing" a mixing console with different levels of fan excitement on different tracks so that they can ramp the enthusiasm up or down. You are correct that the constant level is kinda off putting.
IE
Hall of Famer

I liked what they did with the absent crowd. I think if you didn't like the noise you may have liked the silence even less. Plus it keeps the field level between the offense and the defense. It is a fact that quiet benefits the offense.

My game ball goes to Anthony Miller - professional turd polisher, extraordinaire.
Last edited by IE on Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Maybe I need to watch the game again, I intend to today hopefully...but I saw things a little differently.

Game Ballz:

Mitch Trubisky: 20-36, 242 yds, 3 TD, 0 INT, 104.2 Rtg. Plus he led a great 4th quarter comeback and got the win! I don't understand why people are shitting on Mitch today. I was super frustrated by the first half like everyone else was, but unlike last year I didn't see the problem as being Trubisky. He missed a couple passes, but Graham and ARob each had a couple drops too that would have really changed the outcome of that first half. But just using the basic eye test (which i rely on heavily), Mitch looked composed and in control out there, I saw him on multiple occasions go through his progressions quickly and come off his primary target when he was covered. I really, really liked what I saw from Mitch yesterday and hope this continues on. If he keeps playing like this, Foles will not see the field barring injury.

OL: Yea, I'm the guy that railed about our OL all offseason, but they shut me up in Week 1 albeit against a weak Detroit front. I can only remember 3 games last year where our OL played this well, the first Vikings game, San Diego, and Dallas. Guys, we ran for 5.3 YPC! 5.3! And that's with no big runs to skew that number, we CONSISTENTLY gained 4-5 yards and we did so while having to mix in Patterson/Cohen because Monty was being eased in from injury. Pass Pro was pretty good, not great but Mitch frequently had time to survey the field and work through his progressions. I'm cautiously optimistic here, Detroit's front 7 is a joke so I'm in "wait and see" mode.

Anthony Miller: Man, that kid can play. He almost got hurt again, he took a shot to his shoulder on one play and was slow to get up, then came off the field and I was like "oh shit, there goes his shoulder again". But he came back and made big catches for us, including the HUGE TD which was a thing of beauty. I'd also like to note that on that big TD catch, Miller almost started to act like an ass and taunt the DB, but he checked himself and didn't do it. HUGE!!!!!! Signs of maturity from the kid! That penalty would have given Detroit a short field to come back on us, it was a very big deal.

Honorable Mention: Jaylon Johnson. Played pretty solid from what little I could tell, but mainly get the mention because he was the one who tipped the ball that caused the INT late. A first down there ends us, instead we got the ball on a short field. Game changing play by a rookie!

HORNS:

Chuck Pagano: So after one week I'm eating crow on Mitch and our OL, but my Pagano fears remain fully intact. His soft, bend don't break defenses continue to underwhelm. We got zero pressure all day and the Lions OL sux. Hicks is back so no more excuses right? Coverages were generally soft, Stafford had a pretty easy day from what I saw. Detroit out gained us in yards, yards per play, time of possession, and the one that was most concerning - 3rd down conversion rate. We simply could not get off the field until the late portion of the game, allowing sustained drives.

Matt Nagy: What can I say, Nagy struggles with situational football. At this point I think it's fair to say that he may not ever be good at it. We shit the bed in the red zone AGAIN. But the big thing here is Nagy almost cost us this game single handedly the way we botched the end of the first half. For a guy who preaches that "it's ok to punt" to Mitch, he sure doesn't seem to get that himself. He foolishly went for a 4th and 7 early in the game instead of kicking a 52 yard FG or punting to pin them deep, that gave Detroit a short field and a 3 point lead. Then at the end of the half was an even bigger gaffe. Detroit wasn't able to move in the 2 minute drill and the clock could have wound down and we'd go into half tied 6 - 6. But no, Nagy gets way too cute and calls a timeout even though Detroit was not backed up! So when they punt they pin US deep! At which point I'm thinking, ok Matt, just take a fucking knee now, but NO - he proceeds to go 3 and out in like 9 seconds and gives Detroit the ball back near midfield with a minute or so to go. TD ensues and we're down 13-6 at half, thx Matt and thx Chuck. Detroit had all the momentum at that point and extended their lead coming out in the second half, that's 100% on Nagy.

Front 7 Defense: I know this isn't popular, but I gotta speak truth here. Khalil Mack does not look like the HOF player we signed from Oakland anymore. He wasn't all that special last year, and he struggled again yesterday. Hicks was not a game wrecker either, Detroit ran the ball effectively and we had near zero pass rush all day. As others pointed out, Danny T suddenly looked SLOW out there, very concerning. Mingo did his best Alex Brown imitation, bear hugging much larger offensive lineman and doing absolutely nothing. I just have to hope that this is closer to a preseason game than a Week 1 game and that this group is going to get a whole lot better, because if this is what we've got from them we're done. They must be a force, we have most of our cap/talent in this group and they can't just be 'ok', they gotta be great. They were not even close to that standard yesterday.
wab
Mod

Good:
Mitch winning the game. I don't care how you spin it, he won the game and his 4thQ performance was brilliant. He still needs to put a full 4 quarters together, but he wasn't getting a lot of help early in the game.

The running game. I liked what Nagy did, and I liked how he used all three guys.

Most of the OL. I thought Daniels looked really good, Ifedi looked solid, and Whitehair was his usual steady self. Leno was on the ground seemingly every other play, and Massie got walked back into the face of the QB too many times for my liking.

Bilal Nichols. He seemed like he was making the majority of the defensive plays.

The rookies. They all looked pretty good and contributed. Kmet didn't get a ton of looks, but I have really high hopes for Mooney and Johnson.

Nagy. I don't know why people are saying he called a bad game. I thought he did pretty good. It's a rhythm offense. Run the ball, complete short and intermediate passes, and set up shots down the field. He called plays that match the offense. I thought he managed the timeouts at the end of the game really well also.

Miller. He played incredible in the 4thQ. He's just so talented, and I hope he's matured and stays healthy.

Bad:
The pass rush. This is concerning. There was no pressure on a line that was starting a rookie and two backups. Matt Nelson, a converted defensive lineman, handled Mack with almost no help. Even TJ Hockenson did ok against him 1 on 1.

Graham. OK, not "bad" per se, but those two mis-timed jumps were pretty easy completions. And IIRC both were on 3rd down.

Trevathan. He looked like an old man out there. He was slow and out of position. I'm hoping it's just rust or whatever, but it was a problem yesterday.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Bears couldn't take a knee to see out the half dplank because Detroit still had two time outs. They should have run the ball and stayed in bounds (Cohen) to run some clock and force Detroit to consider using those time outs. The second down pass was the bad play call. Even though Trubisky threw a nice ball and gave Miller a chance with it coming off his finger tips, a run on second and 7 in that situation was the logical choice. Even a couple of yards put in you in a reasonable situation. Instead they put themselves in 3rd and 7 with the clock stopped and no need for Detroit to use a time out. If they'd got out to the 35/40 yard line then would have been the time to take some chances, not when you're backed up on your own 10 yard line.

The frustrating thing is Nagy is still making these types of mistakes. He lost his very first game because of a similar failing. It was third and two, Green Bay were out of time outs, a first down would have sealed the game and a failed run would have taken the clock down to the 2 minute warning. Instead they tried a pass instead, it fell incomplete and Rogers had ample time to add to his legend.

I'm also getting a bit fed up with Nagy's reluctance to trust his kicker. He continues to spurn long field goal opportunities. A 52 yarder at an indoor stadium is not an unreasonable distance to attempt.

Other than that, Nagy showed signs of improvement. There was a commitment to run the ball and they did so really well, apart from those ruddy jet sweeps. Even down 17 in the 4th quarter they still mixed in some runs whereas in previous seasons Nagy always seemed to go full on pass mode. He even opened with an offset I formation (and used it a couple of other times too) having previously said he wasn't brought in to run the I formation. They were dreadful on third down and he made a point of saying they would address that during the post-game presser, acknowledging that they need to avoid those 3rd and 7+ situations. Let's see how they do with that next week.

With regard to Mack, I skimmed through a rewatch of the 'game in 40' and it looked to me that the effort was there and he played the run well. He was the closest to Stafford on quite a few pass rushes, but when he was one-on-one the Lions got the ball out quickly or rolled Stafford away from him and other times he was doubled up. There was no pressure up the middle or from the other side to flush Stafford towards Mack or make him pull the ball down and give Mack that extra half a second to get to him. Goldman was missed because he can drive the interior linemen back. Hicks didn't seem to be himself in that regard. We're crying out for Quinn to get on the field to corral the QB from the other side. It is simply too easy for opposing offenses to negate Mack otherwise.

Trevathan looked like his feet were stuck in mud. We criticised Kwiat a couple of years ago for being slow in coverage, but that wasn't an issue last season so maybe this is something Pagano can help limit scheme-wise. Kwiat was injured in the Raiders game, so we might not be able to judge whether we kept the wrong guy.
wulfy
MVP

I'm really worried about Mack ... he's not been the same player that he was in 2018. Maybe getting Quinn back will help, but the pass rush (where this team has sunk incredible about of money and draft capital) really needs to step up. I don't know if it's the scheme or the players, but something has to change there.

I really don't know how the Lions keep trotting Matt Patricia out there - the guy is yet another in a long line of failed Belichek assistants. Why did they throw the ball on 3rd down? Horrible decision.

OLine got it done yesterday, both in the run game and keeping Mitch clean.
IE
Hall of Famer

I think the criticism of Nagy's critical situational decision making can co-exist with him also being a pretty good play caller overall. But seriously, how could he not try to take more advantage of the depleted Lion secondary earlier?

I'm worried about Pagano too. He guessed right on the Vaughter's blitz/TFL. I believe the secondary's talent is exceptional ... which may hide some scheme sins. I'm no expert on defensive schemes, so I'll just say they don't look like they're controlling the game like a Bear D should, or maybe in the way that their talent level should allow them to do. Maybe other than the back 4-5 they're not nearly as talented as we think. Hicks showed up late a bit but was pretty invisible. Mack was being teamed and seemed to be fighting... but we need him to win more of those with his "contractually-implied tool set"(lol).
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:40 am I'm worried about Pagano too. He guessed right on the Vaughter's blitz/TFL. I believe the secondary's talent is exceptional ... which may hide some scheme sins. I'm no expert on defensive schemes, so I'll just say they don't look like they're controlling the game like a Bear D should, or maybe in the way that their talent level should allow them to do. Maybe other than the back 4-5 they're not nearly as talented as we think. Hicks showed up late a bit but was pretty invisible. Mack was being teamed and seemed to be fighting... but we need him to win more of those with his "contractually-implied tool set"(lol).
I'm starting to wonder if the Bears have the right personnel to run the 3-4 the way they are trying to run it. I get that they are in a 4-2-5 a lot of the time, but there's a lot of speed in that back 7 (Trevathan might be slowing down) and it doesn't feel like it's being used right.
cblaz11
MVP

Take Skrine off and add Danny T. He looked....bad
IE
Hall of Famer

Yeah. I hate to be that guy - but really thought it was key to keep Kwit.

I wonder what's up with Duke Shelley? Bad pick maybe? He was supposed to replace Skrine this year. And instead, Pace grabbed two CBs. I've been waiting for a time to bust out a bad joke about hoping QBs can't read our Kindle.
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:26 am The Bears couldn't take a knee to see out the half dplank because Detroit still had two time outs. They should have run the ball and stayed in bounds (Cohen) to run some clock and force Detroit to consider using those time outs. The second down pass was the bad play call. Even though Trubisky threw a nice ball and gave Miller a chance with it coming off his finger tips, a run on second and 7 in that situation was the logical choice. Even a couple of yards put in you in a reasonable situation. Instead they put themselves in 3rd and 7 with the clock stopped and no need for Detroit to use a time out. If they'd got out to the 35/40 yard line then would have been the time to take some chances, not when you're backed up on your own 10 yard line.

The frustrating thing is Nagy is still making these types of mistakes. He lost his very first game because of a similar failing. It was third and two, Green Bay were out of time outs, a first down would have sealed the game and a failed run would have taken the clock down to the 2 minute warning. Instead they tried a pass instead, it fell incomplete and Rogers had ample time to add to his legend.

I'm also getting a bit fed up with Nagy's reluctance to trust his kicker. He continues to spurn long field goal opportunities. A 52 yarder at an indoor stadium is not an unreasonable distance to attempt.

Other than that, Nagy showed signs of improvement. There was a commitment to run the ball and they did so really well, apart from those ruddy jet sweeps. Even down 17 in the 4th quarter they still mixed in some runs whereas in previous seasons Nagy always seemed to go full on pass mode. He even opened with an offset I formation (and used it a couple of other times too) having previously said he wasn't brought in to run the I formation. They were dreadful on third down and he made a point of saying they would address that during the post-game presser, acknowledging that they need to avoid those 3rd and 7+ situations. Let's see how they do with that next week.

With regard to Mack, I skimmed through a rewatch of the 'game in 40' and it looked to me that the effort was there and he played the run well. He was the closest to Stafford on quite a few pass rushes, but when he was one-on-one the Lions got the ball out quickly or rolled Stafford away from him and other times he was doubled up. There was no pressure up the middle or from the other side to flush Stafford towards Mack or make him pull the ball down and give Mack that extra half a second to get to him. Goldman was missed because he can drive the interior linemen back. Hicks didn't seem to be himself in that regard. We're crying out for Quinn to get on the field to corral the QB from the other side. It is simply too easy for opposing offenses to negate Mack otherwise.

Trevathan looked like his feet were stuck in mud. We criticised Kwiat a couple of years ago for being slow in coverage, but that wasn't an issue last season so maybe this is something Pagano can help limit scheme-wise. Kwiat was injured in the Raiders game, so we might not be able to judge whether we kept the wrong guy.
My main issue here HRS wasn't the play calling when we had the ball, it was the timeout that he called when Detroit had the ball. I'd have been ok with it if they were backed up deep, but they weren't. He then compounded his mistake by not just trying to run clock when we got the ball deep in our zone. But none of that happens had he just let Detroit wind the clock down, which they were content to do.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:31 am I'm really worried about Mack ... he's not been the same player that he was in 2018. Maybe getting Quinn back will help, but the pass rush (where this team has sunk incredible about of money and draft capital) really needs to step up. I don't know if it's the scheme or the players, but something has to change there.

I really don't know how the Lions keep trotting Matt Patricia out there - the guy is yet another in a long line of failed Belichek assistants. Why did they throw the ball on 3rd down? Horrible decision.

OLine got it done yesterday, both in the run game and keeping Mitch clean.

This sums up a lot of my thoughts

Throw in a Tale of Two Mitches reference so I seem well-read and let's call it a day!
GSH
MVP

Yeah Danny T definitely looks like he's lost a step out there. On a positive note, considering no pre-season I think we kept penalties pretty minimal.
wab
Mod

GSH wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 pm Yeah Danny T definitely looks like he's lost a step out there. On a positive note, considering no pre-season I think we kept penalties pretty minimal.
It was really nice to see Leno not have a dozen drive killing holding/hands to the face penalties.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A delay of game penalty and no others on offense was pretty amazing, especially for the first game and with no preseason games. Fantastic from the offensive line, but an indication that the whole offense may be more focused and clued in under the new coaches than they were previously.

5 other penalties, one for running out of bounds on kick coverage and 4 on defense. The personal foul called on Fuller was ridiculous; he went for the ball not the opponent's head. The roughing call on RRH was pathetic too. A small shove a split second after the QB has released the ball should not result in a flag.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

Something the soccer games have is someone working the crowd noise so it varies on the situation. Still annoying but certainly better then just white noise
Have a great day
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Game Balls
Mitch Trubisky - When the chips were down, he came to play. Great throws. He needs to get out on the move more. Move the pocket.
Jaylon Johnson - He is going to be a great compliment to Kyle Fuller.
Anthony Miller - Miller is the slot guy we have always wanted.

Bananas

Chuck Pagano. No pressure at all.
Danny Trevethan - He has slowed down, and always seemed to be chasing the plays.
Last edited by Bears Whiskey Nut on Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Talking of soccer BearfanUK, I heard a rumour that this song was included in the Club Dub mix after the game. It was a special request from Mitch apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWoWAA52hfc
spudbear
MVP

DP - I've watched the replay several times on the INT. While Johnson had great coverage on the crossing route, it was EJax who timed it perfectly to sneak in and tip the pass without pass interference. He knew it when he popped up off the ground, that he had tipped it up in the air and the Bears got it back.
You can watch this replay as well as others here.

I can't give Mitch big props in spite of the big 4th qtr. When will we see better game starts? I can only recall the Dallas game from last year when the the Bears O came off the bus scoring. Does it just fall on Nagy? I don't know, but we'll have a few more games to find out, that maybe it's beginning of the season "rust". Maybe.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Sigmorpho
Rookie

New guy here. I really liked what I saw from Jaylon Johnson. He was always around the ball which is what you want to see from a safety. And he was involved in the INT and he was the one who knocked the ball away on the final play of the game. For a rookie DB, I thought he looked great.
Xee
Site Admin

Sigmorpho wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:36 pm New guy here. I really liked what I saw from Jaylon Johnson. He was always around the ball which is what you want to see from a safety. And he was involved in the INT and he was the one who knocked the ball away on the final play of the game. For a rookie DB, I thought he looked great.
:welcome:
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:18 pm
GSH wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 pm Yeah Danny T definitely looks like he's lost a step out there. On a positive note, considering no pre-season I think we kept penalties pretty minimal.
It was really nice to see Leno not have a dozen drive killing holding/hands to the face penalties.
Was “the shirt” worn during the game , wab?
wab
Mod

HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:18 am
wab wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:18 pm
It was. G08 beat me up about it all week and made sure it was on.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

:toast:
wab wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:08 am
HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:18 am

It was. G08 beat me up about it all week and made sure it was on.
:toast:

Thank you! Leno's future NFL career, and the Bears season, depends on you!
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

spudbear wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:39 pm DP - I've watched the replay several times on the INT. While Johnson had great coverage on the crossing route, it was EJax who timed it perfectly to sneak in and tip the pass without pass interference. He knew it when he popped up off the ground, that he had tipped it up in the air and the Bears got it back.
You can watch this replay as well as others here.

I can't give Mitch big props in spite of the big 4th qtr. When will we see better game starts? I can only recall the Dallas game from last year when the the Bears O came off the bus scoring. Does it just fall on Nagy? I don't know, but we'll have a few more games to find out, that maybe it's beginning of the season "rust". Maybe.
I guess I got it wrong when I said in the game thread that it was Johnson with the tip that led to the pick. Still, Johnson was absolutely terrific in the game, allowing ONE catch. ONE. Which was also tight coverage. Sure, he was guarding some #3s with Golliday out. But he drew Marvin Jones a lot in the 2nd half, who is a legit player. I hope somebody with access to the all-22 can review his performance. I watched him quite a bit and he was really, really good, whoever he was covering.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
WP.1
Player of the Month

Mikefive wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:38 pm guess I got it wrong when I said in the game thread that it was Johnson with the tip that led to the pick. Still, Johnson was absolutely terrific in the game, allowing ONE catch. ONE. Which was also tight coverage. Sure, he was guarding some #3s with Golliday out. But he drew Marvin Jones a lot in the 2nd half, who is a legit player. I hope somebody with access to the all-22 can review his performance. I watched him quite a bit and he was really, really good, whoever he was covering.
Its impossible to see. Maybe Eddie reached the ball but if there was a touch it not alter the fact. JJ forearm (additional perfectly timed upward move) did cause deflection high in the air.

The all-22 yet to see. There is to say JJ two completion +20 yards and holding penalty negated by Lions holding.