Wk 1 // Bears def. Lions 27-23

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:09 pm ya boy put $20 on the bears at the start of the 4th when we were 250-1. Thats pretty much a new set of tires paid for on my porsche, lol. Love you Lions.
Jesus H...5k for tires?
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:28 pm The question is now. Will Nagy start calling the game in such a way that it gets Trubisky into a 4th quarter comeback mentality from the start of the game. Bootlegs, scrambles, etc. Or is he going to continue to push to keep Mitch in the pocket, and force him into being something he's not.
I think Mitchell’s success in the 4th was more down to Detroit playing exclusively in man. His strength is not diagnosing coverages, so by just playing man they made things simple for him.

He was abysmal in the two minute offense at the end of the half. You also can’t base an offense off of bootlegs and scrambles. Bootlegs limit where you can throw it and he’s not durable enough to take the hits. Standing in the pocket and delivering the ball down the field is the most basic skill required of a QB.

Anyway I thought this game was a microcosm of Mitch’s entire career. Erratic and inconsistent accuracy, lack of attention to detail (delay of game, not seeing the blown coverage on Graham), poor decision making (throwing into triple coverage, running backwards for 20 yards and fumbling) but the flashes of spectacular play.

Everyone was about to write him off and then the 4th quarter happened. He’s got to be one of the most frustrating players the Bears have ever had.

But I’m hopeful that especially with the success Miller had Trubisky will be less inclined to have tunnel vision on Robinson, as he so often does.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I’m watching now. Mack was breathing heavy as fuck 5 minutes into the game clock. I don’t think he’s in game shape. I’m seeing pressures, but I think we’re couple weeks away at least from Monster Mack.
SgtPerry
Journeyman

Fine 4th Quarter Rally, but the WR did a great job (extending and) catching those passes. I was a bit disappointed by the pass rush / pressure.
The lack of Goldman was a bit obvious.
"Good thing you are a Bears fan. No offense to worry about."
UOK 10/26/2020
IE
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:23 pm I think it will start with the Bears being very conservative overall (although I could some overthrown deep attempts to Ginn or Miller, trying to replicate last season's Ford Field success). I expect the game to open with a Bear FG or even two in a row.

But with very little contact and real game-like practice for anyone this year, I predict it turns into an undisciplined sandlot pretty quickly - with lots of scoring. So we have sandlot chaos sidearm king making things happen, and the better team (Bears) to play catch-up the entire game. Which they do. I'll guess the Bears take the lead or tie it with just a few minutes left... something fancy, like a 2-pointer to Graham. And then Lions score at the end to seal it, with the Bears D in prevent mode.

Afterwards, Nagy says he is encouraged by the offensive production, and the Bears go back to Chicago to lick their wounds vs the Giants - both teams hoping to get to 1:1.

Bear: 28
Lion: 31
Lucky Swift drop from being pretty close. I don't know why anyone would have expected low-scoring games. In my mind, offenses have the advantage right now. Defenses usually start faster - but the crowd thing is such an overwhelming advantage for offenses especially on the road.

Some have mentioned the "man" coverage - which is a good point and one of the reasons 10 plays well against the Lions. There was some talk about whether Patricia would wisen up and try some other looks against 10. Nope. Patricia is hot, emotional garbage.

I thought they'd start conservatively and the run game pleasantly surprised. The Oline is on the right trajectory here. And the 3 headed RB thing really works for the Bears - I hope they keep it up!

I'm more down on Nagy now than I was before. How did it take him 3 quarters to stop calling those short horizontal throws when the Lions were DOWN THREE CORNERBACKS!!

Mitch is still - and probably will always be - accurate when throwing to a spot. I hate how he hangs guys out to dry, and couldn't lead and hit a guy in stride if his life depended on it. But football is a team sport, and when you have major turd polishers like 12 and 17 out there, you can launch turds all over the field.

Stafford probably could have used his top 10 receiver. But it's football and nobody gets excuses. Nobody.

Now... BEAT SOMEBODY GOOD. I love a win. Yet refuse to be fooled by a trail of dead bums.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:04 am I’m watching now. Mack was breathing heavy as fuck 5 minutes into the game clock. I don’t think he’s in game shape. I’m seeing pressures, but I think we’re couple weeks away at least from Monster Mack.
Or Monster Mack is done. It's very likely his best days are behind him. The first 3 years of his deal were likely always the optimal window for this team.
IE
Hall of Famer

Maybe they should have told him they'd keep his brother on the PS as long as he got a sack per game. On average... so if he missed a game he could make it up.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

If you'd told me we go into the 4th quarter down 23-6, but our QB rallies to throw 3 TDs and we win the game, most times I'm going to be ok with that outcome.
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:22 am
alexwilkins wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:04 am I’m watching now. Mack was breathing heavy as fuck 5 minutes into the game clock. I don’t think he’s in game shape. I’m seeing pressures, but I think we’re couple weeks away at least from Monster Mack.
Or Monster Mack is done. It's very likely his best days are behind him. The first 3 years of his deal were likely always the optimal window for this team.
For what it's worth:

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1 ... k.78200%2F
IE
Hall of Famer

BreadNCircuses wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:44 am If you'd told me we go into the 4th quarter down 23-6, but our QB rallies to throw 3 TDs and we win the game, most times I'm going to be ok with that outcome.
No doubt!

I think we need to be careful not to confuse plain old game commentary or detailed conversation with unhappiness about the outcome. There isn't a person on the site that isn't elated about starting 1-0.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:51 am
The Cooler King wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:22 am

For what it's worth:

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1 ... k.78200%2F
Let's hope it was just one of his quiet games. I suppose I've just been pessimistic haha. Also I just did a quick and dirty analysis on another message board that deflated the myth around "elite pass rushers age well" theory that often times gets thrown around.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:55 am
BreadNCircuses wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:44 am If you'd told me we go into the 4th quarter down 23-6, but our QB rallies to throw 3 TDs and we win the game, most times I'm going to be ok with that outcome.
No doubt!

I think we need to be careful not to confuse plain old game commentary or detailed conversation with unhappiness about the outcome. There isn't a person on the site that isn't elated about starting 1-0.
Honestly, and I hate being this guy, but I'm not elated. I hope they go peel off the next 18 wins in concinving fashion and I look a fool, but that game just didn't have me feeling good at all; to the point that wins are meaningless this year. 3 wins, 4 wins, 7 wins.. What's the deference?
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:46 am
IE wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:55 am

No doubt!

Honestly, and I hate being this guy, but I'm not elated. I hope they go peel off the next 18 wins in concinving fashion and I look a fool, but that game just didn't have me feeling good at all; to the point that wins are meaningless this year. 3 wins, 4 wins, 7 wins.. What's the deference?
Honest question - then why watch? If wins are meaningless, then why put yourself through this if winning and losing feel the same?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:59 am
Honest question - then why watch? If wins are meaningless, then why put yourself through this if winning and losing feel the same?
I did stop, from when it went 23-6 and tuned back in right before the go-ahead TD. Tuned back in I saw on my fantasy app they actually had made it a game again. Was excited for a moment and went straight to "oh shit there's still 2 minutes to fuck this up".

I probably will watch a lot less this year though. Part of thats just life (2 kids under 2), but also some definite apathy about this teams talent level.
UOK
Site Admin

Eh, I get where he's coming from. My wife asks me this question every week during Bears season. I'm basically miserable the entire time because this team has conditioned me to set the standard at "resolute disappointment."

Some people have a pile of food and beer and make the day a tailgaiting celebration of football. Others glumly watch waiting for the worst to happen because that's what has virtually always happened every season. Doesn't make those who lean more toward column B worse fans than those in column A. Just how it works out.
GSH
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:07 pm
GSH wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:09 pm ya boy put $20 on the bears at the start of the 4th when we were 250-1. Thats pretty much a new set of tires paid for on my porsche, lol. Love you Lions.
Jesus H...5k for tires?
typo in my drunken excitement yesterday - with some winter rims not just the rubber lol

still feel good about the win, totally expected the team to come out slow and sloppy week 1 as is tradition, but good to get the W and now move on and get it together for the Giants. Bear Down.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:03 pm
Eh, I get where he's coming from. My wife asks me this question every week during Bears season. I'm basically miserable the entire time because this team has conditioned me to set the standard at "resolute disappointment."

Some people have a pile of food and beer and make the day a tailgaiting celebration of football. Others glumly watch waiting for the worst to happen because that's what has virtually always happened every season. Doesn't make those who lean more toward column B worse fans than those in column A. Just how it works out.
I guess maybe I've just become more tempered with my expectations over the years and have decided to go into each game not really expecting anything...whether that's a win or a loss. It's taken a lot of the emotional swings out of it. It lets me be excited when they win, and less disappointed when they don't. For whatever reason a loss doesn't ruin my week anymore.

I also didn't expect there to be a season, so I feel like winning is just house money at this point.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:16 pm

I guess maybe I've just become more tempered with my expectations over the years and have decided to go into each game not really expecting anything...whether that's a win or a loss. It's taken a lot of the emotional swings out of it. It lets me be excited when they win, and less disappointed when they don't. For whatever reason a loss doesn't ruin my week anymore.

I also didn't expect there to be a season, so I feel like winning is just house money at this point.

Makes sense, and I'm similar to a degree. Losses don't ruin my week or necessarily ruin anything. It's more of waiting for an indication that this year's Bears team is special. Jury's still out, obviously. Most of the time they're not special, but the rare occasions they are, man it's so much fun.
Johnny Bollocks
Journeyman

The first game of the season and the defense gets gashed, the O starts slow and we end up having to mount a comeback against a weak divisional foe.

Still, enough about 1985. How did we do against the Lions?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:21 pm

Makes sense, and I'm similar to a degree. Losses don't ruin my week or necessarily ruin anything. It's more of waiting for an indication that this year's Bears team is special. Jury's still out, obviously. Most of the time they're not special, but the rare occasions they are, man it's so much fun.
Yea, losses don't bother my week either. I guess they're proportional... I can only be as elated about a 1-0 start as deflated a 0-1 start can make me. I'll enjoy the good parts when I watch, for sure, and find entertainment, but that larger goal/big picture is missing from my viewing time.
G08
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:02 pm Trubisky trows tree touchdowns, Daaaaaa Bears rush for anotha' one.

Defense comes out on fire, like your favorite pizza place's giardinara!

Beloved Bears - 28
Loser Lions - 17
I should have stopped after 'tree touchdowns' :lol:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
UOK
Site Admin

UOK wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:22 am Bears win 29-23
Behold the master.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I go into the season with this gameplan, but ultimately abandon it like Nagy used to abandon the run game. Once they are on, I get all stupid and hyper, as can be seen earlier in this thread lol.
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

I couldn’t love the bears anymore even if I tried. I’m also from a country where the nations sport (soccer) is on for 10 nearly 11 months of the year.

This whole 16 games stuff really makes it x1000 for me. I wanna win every game. I’m despondent if we lose etc but everyone programmes themselves to avoid not being hurt in different ways. And boy has this team hurt us all soo so so so badly 😂
Have a great day
IE
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:31 am Maybe they should have told him they'd keep his brother on the PS as long as he got a sack per game. On average... so if he missed a game he could make it up.
My Master Plan is now in progress. :)

Don't be down on the D folks. This is going to be an epic year for offenses across the board. I think the new rule will be hold them to 25 or less and score 30 to win, in general.
G08
Hall of Famer

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Jaylon Johnson in his first NFL start

47 coverage snaps
6 targets
2 forced incompletions
0 TDs allowed

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/ ... -bears%2F6
G08
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:31 pm
Hmmm. I'm guessing there's usually a strong correlation between height and separation. Mooney obviously ain't going to win many battles where he can't get separation. Wims isn't going to get a lot of separation, but can win with size.
reggieg87
Rookie

What a game. Still shocked.

Little concerned about the 1 sack. Like to see more gettin through.