For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

I'd trade him for a 1st round pick... :backout:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:54 pm I'd trade him for a 1st round pick... :backout:
I mean, no way would his market reach that level anyways.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:54 pm I'd trade him for a 1st round pick... :backout:
*looks at Jets*
UOK
Site Admin

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:35 pm
It's the NFL, the first instinct should never be trade, becuase they're rare. Especially blockbuster types a couple weeks into a season.

I feel like it usually takes a unique FO situation too. Like a new guy coming in with the intent to shake up or a GM with a pope-job that can do whatever he wants. Or an intervening owner.
UOK
Site Admin

Apparently he has requested a trade:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/b ... story.html

The divide between Robinson and the Bears runs deeper than that, though, as a league source told the Tribune that Robinson has asked about a possible trade.

How far apart the sides are in negotiations on a new contract is unknown, but it’s highly unlikely Robinson would inquire about the possibility of being traded if they were anywhere near an agreement.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Biggs reporting Robinson has asked for a trade:

Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
LT2_3
Practice Squad

wab wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:27 pm
What part of "read rumors" was confusing?

Also, I meant TV deal and mistakenly said CBA.
Nothing was confusing about "read rumors", but as someone that has multiple alerts set for Bears content that I check daily and have read neither of those things, I have to question the veracity of your sources. Was it from some fan on facebook, twitter, reddit, or 4chan?

Besides, like I said, neither one makes any sense. Cash flow problems for a business valued at $3.5 Billion strains credulity. If he'd requested a trade over the summer, we would have heard about it sooner. He would have pulled his passive-aggressive social media move then instead of yesterday.

No worries about the typo. It happens to everyone sometimes.
Z Bear
MVP

You do not let 27 year old #1 WRs walk without someone on the roster to replace him (which Miller is not there yet). Robinson led the league in contested catches last season, every QB needs to have a WR like that as a security blanket when the play breaks down. Considering every other WR on the roster not named Ginn is on a rookie contract, there should be room to pay him. If not, make some room at other positions.

The cap situation is a perfect illustration of why you don't go out and sign every free agent that hits the street. They cost a lot more money than a draft pick. Pace needs to stop signing big money free agents and stop trading away multiple draft picks each year. The way to long term continued success in the NFL is building teams through the draft.
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:40 pm
UOK wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:35 pm
It's the NFL, the first instinct should never be trade, becuase they're rare. Especially blockbuster types a couple weeks into a season.

I feel like it usually takes a unique FO situation too. Like a new guy coming in with the intent to shake up or a GM with a pope-job that can do whatever he wants. Or an intervening owner.
If...IF... the Bears are really struggling by the trade deadline and they haven't extended him, I could see Robinson being dealt. In-season trades aren't as rare as they used to be.

Since 2017 some big names have changed teams at or before the trade deadline. Amari Cooper, Jalen Ramsey, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Emmanuel Sanders, Jay Ajayi, Kelvin Benjamin, Duane Brown, and Jimmy Garoppolo are some right off the top of my head.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

LT2_3 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:20 pm

Nothing was confusing about "read rumors", but as someone that has multiple alerts set for Bears content that I check daily and have read neither of those things, I have to question the veracity of your sources. Was it from some fan on facebook, twitter, reddit, or 4chan?

Besides, like I said, neither one makes any sense. Cash flow problems for a business valued at $3.5 Billion strains credulity. If he'd requested a trade over the summer, we would have heard about it sooner. He would have pulled his passive-aggressive social media move then instead of yesterday.

I don't have any knowledge of the Bears financial situation. And let's be honest, its probably pretty decent, but the 3.5B valuation is kind of useless without knowledge of how they might already be leveraged. Its also possible that while leverage is a possibility for them, they are very leverage averse, particularly as it may come to estate planning matters and wanting to ensure the long term control of the team by the family after Virginia.
wab
Mod

LT2_3 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:20 pm

It was an exchange between some reputable dudes from OTC and PFF on Twitter. I never said it was cold hard facts, I simply said I had read rumors. Except as it turns out, he in fact did ask for a trade.
IE
Hall of Famer

So I imagine most heard the story that he requested a trade. And then that seems to be squashed now in reports over the past hour.

Let's talk about the timing on this. Is this potentially just a big pouty move, after he came away from Sunday's game without a TD? He had the one awesome catch, and a handful of others (5 of 9 is...meh...). But is this kinda him just needing to make himself the story but coming away from the weekend without that attention?

I'm kind of miffed about the timing. It is kind of a feel-good time for the Bears and Bear fans, after walking away with the win in Detroit and the flurry of offense at the end as some kind of momentum... with some great hype for 10, 17, 33, the RBs and the Oline. And then ARob wants to make it all about him?

C'mon, man... don't be the bitchy bitter future ex telling us how much we're going to miss you when you're gone. It's weird I don't like it.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:43 pm So I imagine most heard the story that he requested a trade. And then that seems to be squashed now in reports over the past hour.

Let's talk about the timing on this. Is this potentially just a big pouty move, after he came away from Sunday's game without a TD? He had the one awesome catch, and a handful of others (5 of 9 is...meh...). But is this kinda him just needing to make himself the story but coming away from the weekend without that attention?

I'm kind of miffed about the timing. It is kind of a feel-good time for the Bears and Bear fans, after walking away with the win in Detroit and the flurry of offense at the end as some kind of momentum... with some great hype for 10, 17, 33, the RBs and the Oline. And then ARob wants to make it all about him?

C'mon, man... don't be the bitchy bitter future ex telling us how much we're going to miss you when you're gone. It's weird I don't like it.
I REALLY REALLY DOUBT it had anything to do with the game.

Or if anything, he waited until after the game to minimize the distraction it would stir. Likely, that "late preseason extension" that has been popular with Pace passed as ARob's personal deadline, and this is now the next phase of negotiations.
IE
Hall of Famer

I hear you TCK but how is this not a distraction still? Maybe he should sit out. I'll roll with 17, 11, 83 and 88, the TEs and RBs if he's going to make it about him and become a distraction. He didn't get what he had hoped. Well, maybe it is because he didn't earn it like some of the previous guys? Or the situation is very different?
IE
Hall of Famer

Maybe this annoyed him because nobody yells "speed" when he runs on the field? :)

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/moone ... rong-debut
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm not a fan of his timing either, and his whining on twitter doesn't exactly endear me to him. Seems passive aggressive, but whatever, that's the business side and I only care about the sports side.

I hope they figure this shit out... if we can get multiple picks for him, including a first, I'd do it.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm I hear you TCK but how is this not a distraction still? Maybe he should sit out. I'll roll with 17, 11, 83 and 88, the TEs and RBs if he's going to make it about him and become a distraction. He didn't get what he had hoped. Well, maybe it is because he didn't earn it like some of the previous guys? Or the situation is very different?
I'm not saying its not a distraction as is, but I think some of these past extensions have come as late as the Thur/Friday for Game 1. That would be very distracting timing verse now. There's a few days of media buzz. It dies down. Everyone keeps prepping like professionals outside of it.

I could be off. Maybe something just happened in the negotiations which made otherwise good movement go south, and that's what caused it.

I'm very confident it doesn't have to do with touches or whatever from week 1, though.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Also, as a fan, I don't really care what a player does in negotiations with ownership as long as they largely have the support of their teammates and coaches. And I think those groups tend to be supportive of each other because they know ownership isn't looking out for them. ARob has apparent support from at least a few teammates, and I'm sure a majority support him.

So no issue here for me.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

I'd argue ARob is our best offensive player. Regardless of whether it's Mitch or a Rookie next year or in 2022, he's the sort of dependable wideout that a developing QB can rely on. He's not Julio Jones talent-wise, but he's similarly irreplaceable in the context of those around him.

Which makes you wonder, we've sort of been building a team to accommodate the window of an elite defense, but if the defense is just kind of average now and not capable of carrying the team, and the QB isn't something to build around, where exactly is the team headed? A team without Arob is just a little more mediocre.
Umbali
MVP

Damn I have mixed thoughts on this.

I can barely even honestly think about a legit number 1 WR we have had here. Especially if you compare number 1's to Julio Jones, Michael Irving, Rice * duh * ....but even Hopkins... Fitz...Thomas.... is Allen that kind of guy? Im not sure.

I was distraught when Alshon left...and now glad he left.

Loved Berrian but he wasnt really a number 1

Brandon Marshal was the type...but he was on tail end and a royal pain in the ass.

I know we dont have anyone on the roster that is a possible 1 atm other than him.

Miller isnt there and might not have the reliability or body type.

I say unless he is asking for stupid crazy money...trade him but be picky. Someone is always willing to over pay.

I do like him and hate to see this but I am convinced you cant leave gaping holes on your team just so you can pay one guy.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Bearfanuk
Assistant Coach

For his QB evaluating faults pace has earns my trust on this one following decisions to let Jeffery and Cameron Meridth walk...both I didn’t like at the time. Tough as that may be, right now as a fan to-take
Have a great day
UOK
Site Admin

Allen’s reps say there’s been no trade request.

LT2_3
Practice Squad

wab wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:29 pm It was an exchange between some reputable dudes from OTC and PFF on Twitter. I never said it was cold hard facts, I simply said I had read rumors. Except as it turns out, he in fact did ask for a trade.
Ok - but the request didn't happen over the summer. It happened in the last 24 hours - or it didn't happen at all - https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... his-agent/
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I have no doubt there is a little stress between sides, but it's all bullshit floating on twitter. Dude changed his background on twitter but still had plenty of bears posts on it.

2-3 year extension I would be good with, and I love A-rob, but, the bears are due a little respect as they gave him pretty damn good money coming off a blown out knee.

Tough decisions ahead.
wab
Mod

LT2_3 wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:25 pm
wab wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:29 pm It was an exchange between some reputable dudes from OTC and PFF on Twitter. I never said it was cold hard facts, I simply said I had read rumors. Except as it turns out, he in fact did ask for a trade.
Ok - but the request didn't happen over the summer. It happened in the last 24 hours - or it didn't happen at all - https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... his-agent/
I never said anything about the summer?

You seem super hung up on a handful of rumors I read on Twitter.
LT2_3
Practice Squad

wab wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:17 am Although I've read rumors about him asking the Bears to trade him over the summer, which is why there was no extension.
Am I misunderstanding this sentence as setting the timeframe for when it occurred as over the summer?
MACKSMACK
Practice Squad

F'in pay him. Full stop. We are shit w/o him. Imho.
NYer that fell in love with Sweetness destroying defenders with that legendary stiff arm @ 8 yrs old. I'll never forget those early days and now, after many many years we have some integral players that'll be the key to success in the very near future.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
IE
Hall of Famer

I can totally understand the appreciation for ARob. He's very productive, especially considering who's been throwing to him. And really seems like a great guy - a good team guy (outside of this silly contract posturing).

But the "pay the man" seems devoid of context. Paying him $20MM WILL have impacts on the ability to keep other really good players who may have value over replacement greater than 12.

Could Wims put up a 63% catch rate over a season? And near 100 catches in 150+ looks? It seems like he could, even though his catch rate was abysmal last year in a much smaller sample. How about Ridley? I know he's an unproven rookie (ish), but isn't he kind of a victim of a depth chart log jam right now (that I'd call big, reliable possession receivers)? What is ARobs real value over these guys as replacements? Is it really $15MM a year? Plus wasting the 4th round Ridley pick?

How does anyone know they won't really like Ridley and Wims out there getting 70-75 looks each a season? And some of the former ARob end zone looks going to Kmet? And we need to consider the potential positive value of removing Mitch's pacifier so he can grow up right.