Trubisky Named Starter

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I know there's not much to be gained from a press conference, but I was pretty impressed with Mitch during his today. He sounded confident and articulate. He came off as a leader when talking about A-Rob, and seemed to have a good grasp on what was happening on the field.

Just a different vibe than previous years.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:32 pm I know there's not much to be gained from a press conference, but I was pretty impressed with Mitch during his today. He sounded confident and articulate. He came off as a leader when talking about A-Rob, and seemed to have a good grasp on what was happening on the field.

I liked it as well. I didn't 100% agree with him not being as jittery in the pocket, he stuck in there but he looked a little more scatter-shot than I cared to see when he got back to his 1st read and hit Miller for a big gain up the left hash.

Just keep working on your deficiencies, Mitchell and I'm confident we'll see more consistent play. I also hope John DeFilippo is hammering him on footwork and mechanics. It's really easy to revert back to old habits once the bullets start flying. He had some throws where his feet were awful, but others where they were textbook. Get consistent.

Reps reps reps reps reps.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Umbali
MVP

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/trubi ... gflmr7Vt_s

I want to reference this article. I cant blame Mitch for being surprised that being under center opens up more options. Nagy however should have already known this.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:55 pm
wab wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:32 pm I know there's not much to be gained from a press conference, but I was pretty impressed with Mitch during his today. He sounded confident and articulate. He came off as a leader when talking about A-Rob, and seemed to have a good grasp on what was happening on the field.

I liked it as well. I didn't 100% agree with him not being as jittery in the pocket, he stuck in there but he looked a little more scatter-shot than I cared to see when he got back to his 1st read and hit Miller for a big gain up the left hash.

Just keep working on your deficiencies, Mitchell and I'm confident we'll see more consistent play. I also hope John DeFilippo is hammering him on footwork and mechanics. It's really easy to revert back to old habits once the bullets start flying. He had some throws where his feet were awful, but others where they were textbook. Get consistent.

He's got room for growth, unfortunately every bullet is live and he's not under contract for next year so we're in a pretty weird place with Mitch. I'm honestly still surprised it was a real competition and that he won it.
G08
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:56 pm
G08 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:55 pm

He's got room for growth, unfortunately every bullet is live and he's not under contract for next year so we're in a pretty weird place with Mitch. I'm honestly still surprised it was a real competition and that he won it.
I wonder how much of it was him winning it as much as it was Foles not doing anything to take it. I think if Foles showed him up day after day in camp he would have been the starter. But he didn't, I'm sure the pandemic didn't help.

Regardless, I'm pulling for the kid

dplank
Hall of Famer

Foles had 10 practice days, of split reps no less, to win a job over an incumbent 3 year starter. 10 practices. That is simply not a fair, open competition. That's not anyone's fault, just the odd offseason. I'm very satisfied with Mitch's play on Sunday despite some early problems, so I'm not sour grapes here. But let's not pretend like he "won" anything, that's utter nonsense. I hope his play continues to improve and he realizes his potential, but we're a long ways from out of the woods here. I'd suggest caution before anyone spikes a football on this, as many others have pointed out Mitch has looked good against Detroit before amid an awful campaign otherwise.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:29 pm Foles had 10 practice days, of split reps no less, to win a job over an incumbent 3 year starter. 10 practices. That is simply not a fair, open competition. That's not anyone's fault, just the odd offseason. I'm very satisfied with Mitch's play on Sunday despite some early problems, so I'm not sour grapes here. But let's not pretend like he "won" anything, that's utter nonsense. I hope his play continues to improve and he realizes his potential, but we're a long ways from out of the woods here. I'd suggest caution before anyone spikes a football on this, as many others have pointed out Mitch has looked good against Detroit before amid an awful campaign otherwise.
Very very fair post.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:29 pm I'm very satisfied with Mitch's play on Sunday despite some early problems, so I'm not sour grapes here.
I think if anyone told you this would be Trubisky's stat line in a week 1 win against the Lions, we would all be happy:

55.56%, 242 yds, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 6.72 YPA, 104.2 rating

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:17 pm
dplank wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:29 pm I'm very satisfied with Mitch's play on Sunday despite some early problems, so I'm not sour grapes here.
I think if anyone told you this would be Trubisky's stat line in a week 1 win against the Lions, we would all be happy:

I suppose so.

Now I wanna see it again. And again.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Isn't it strange that when passes are coming off receivers' fingertips pundits talk about off-target throws and yet when receivers make outstanding catches those same pundits don't mention the throws at all?

The Bears looked a lot closer to me in that first half than the score suggested. They put up 190 yards even with four passes hitting hands but not being caught. Despite no penalties though they still had a number of 3rd downs with 7+ yards needed. Nagy talked about the need to avoid those. I'd like to see them throw more high percentage short passes earlier to get Trubisky into a rhythm and be more calculated with when they take deeper shots. Nagy talked about being aggressive at the end of the half when they went for that pass down the sideline to Miller on 2nd and 7, which was one of those that was nearly caught but instead left them in 3rd and 7. That was just a poor call in the circumstances. A run or short pass, even if it didn't result in a first down, would likely have left them in a very convertible third down.

My heart tells me the lack of scoring in the first 3 quarters was down to Trubisky and his receivers not quite being in synch in their first game out. My head remains full of doubts because of what we've seen previously from Trubisky. I'm really looking forward to the Giants on Sunday to see how Trubisky plays. With the offensive line and the run game looking so much better there are no excuses.
G08
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:26 pm Isn't it strange that when passes are coming off receivers' fingertips pundits talk about off-target throws and yet when receivers make outstanding catches those same pundits don't mention the throws at all?

The Bears looked a lot closer to me in that first half than the score suggested. They put up 190 yards even with four passes hitting hands but not being caught.
Agreed 100%. I've re-watched the game 4 times (I have issues) and I felt that there were some missed opportunities early in the game. Graham had two drops that he should have caught (his words) and Robinson was being held on a rocket that Trubisky threw into the right side of the endzone while on the run. Made me feel a lot better overall.
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:26 pm Despite no penalties though they still had a number of 3rd downs with 7+ yards needed. Nagy talked about the need to avoid those. I'd like to see them throw more high percentage short passes earlier to get Trubisky into a rhythm and be more calculated with when they take deeper shots. Nagy talked about being aggressive at the end of the half when they went for that pass down the sideline to Miller on 2nd and 7, which was one of those that was nearly caught but instead left them in 3rd and 7. That was just a poor call in the circumstances. A run or short pass, even if it didn't result in a first down, would likely have left them in a very convertible third down.

My heart tells me the lack of scoring in the first 3 quarters was down to Trubisky and his receivers not quite being in synch in their first game out. My head remains full of doubts because of what we've seen previously from Trubisky. I'm really looking forward to the Giants on Sunday to see how Trubisky plays. With the offensive line and the run game looking so much better there are no excuses.
Agreed again.

IE
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:17 pm

It's SO weird. That game was like a microcosm of last season - just condensed into a single game, with everything the Mitch haters hate and everything the Mitch lovers love. 3/4 was just really bad, and then 1/4 really outstanding. Overall, it does look good on average. But just like with his averages vs "better predictors" like median stats, the final picture can be misleading regarding what really happened.

The inconsistency drives me nuts, personally. The intermittent outstanding performance is SO good that it brings up the averages and makes him look potentially dominant. But we have to remember when you "do nothing" (e.g. don't really succeed much but also don't fail much like turning it over) it doesn't hurt you too bad in terms of rating or other "averages". A bunch of 3 and outs or drives resulting in a FG don't really hurt your QB rating... yet you can still easily lose the game playing that way. Like they easily could (and should) have on Sunday.

IMO Mitch's performance needs to be seriously reversed - mostly consistent, with a few occasional brain farts scattered around. Personally I haven't ruled it out completely that he can turn it around. Especially with some changes we're seeing in the offense including the better Oline, TEs and commitment to running. But even with that, 3/4 was still really bad.

If Mitch was historically accurate and didn't have a history of turning guys around and forcing them into contested catches, I'd be more comfortable with blaming the receivers when balls bounce off their hands occasionally. But IMO they save him more often than disappoint him. Regardess - I totally am on board with the concept that the first part of the game was "preseason-y"... it is reasonable! So here's to hoping!
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
RichH55
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:26 pm Isn't it strange that when passes are coming off receivers' fingertips pundits talk about off-target throws and yet when receivers make outstanding catches those same pundits don't mention the throws at all?
That did strike me as well.

Alot of "Bad" Mitch last year was akin to the throw to Ted Ginn this last game - just wildly off. (And there were still some signs of that mind you)

But a decent chunk were "slightly" off - especially the Jimmy Graham stuff - he didn't look like he had any speed left so he has to win relatively easy jump balls

Still it's one game - for good or bad - so its tough to glean a ton
G08
Hall of Famer

Inconsistency is the tell-tale sign of a backup QB. You can trust them maybe for a game or two, but if they play 3-4 you will get clunkers.

I don't think Mitch is a backup QB based on his win-loss record and, really, his clear propensity for rising to the occasion when the game is on the line.

HOWEVER.

He needs to find his plateau. I think he is still thinking more than I want to see, but I was greatly encouraged last week when he was eyeing Robinson on the 'right' side of the field, he was covered, so Mitch IMMEDIATELY flipped his head and hips to the left and ripped it to Darnell Mooney. That put a smile on my face because he knew where #2 was and it was on the opposite side of the field. That, to me, is progress.

The misses with Ginn and Robinson (under-thrown due to being flat-footed per DeFilippo) need to be cleaned up, which I believe they can be so long as he's working his mechanics.

dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:01 pm Inconsistency is the tell-tale sign of a backup QB. You can trust them maybe for a game or two, but if they play 3-4 you will get clunkers.

I don't think Mitch is a backup QB based on his win-loss record
This doesn't pass a simple logic test. Mitch is the KING of playing good for a game or two, then having a bunch of clunkers. Even in his 2018 season this was true. I love how much you love him, but keep it real man! 8-)
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:34 pm
G08 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:01 pm Inconsistency is the tell-tale sign of a backup QB. You can trust them maybe for a game or two, but if they play 3-4 you will get clunkers.

I don't think Mitch is a backup QB based on his win-loss record
This doesn't pass a simple logic test. Mitch is the KING of playing good for a game or two, then having a bunch of clunkers. Even in his 2018 season this was true. I love how much you love him, but keep it real man! 8-)
It's because it isn't simple logic! The kid is inconsistent, but the fact of the matter is the Bears win 57% of the games he starts (24-18 as a starter). Most QBs have clunkers, the problem with Mitch (IMO) is that he hasn't found his "steady state". I'm of the opinion he'll find it this season and we'll know who he is as a QB.

dplank
Hall of Famer

I think we both know the problem with looking at W/L in this context. Take the 2018 Rams game, one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen by a QB, D dominates for the W.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I am a Trubisky backer, but I will hasten to point out that W/L is not (and should never be) a QB stat.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: I am a Trubisky backer, but I will hasten to point out that W/L is not (and should never be) a QB stat.
dplank wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:46 pm I think we both know the problem with looking at W/L in this context. Take the 2018 Rams game, one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen by a QB, D dominates for the W.
That's fair. I guess I was trying to say "you can win with the kid" but I can't argue for a QB winning a game with a shit performance.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

About week 5 or so will tell. With no preseason I think the first couple games could be all over the place.
G08
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:04 pm About week 5 or so will tell. With no preseason I think the first couple games could be all over the place.
Agreed. Ideally he's settled in now but it likely will take 3-4 games.

Umbali
MVP

Some of the early issues with Mitch if you choose to support him, could be blamed on nerves and rust and no preason and only 10 practices. Personally I realize it is totally a wait and see thing which is all any of us can do in regards to him anyway. I did see promise and improvement but I also saw old Mitch a bit too. Reminds me of the whole good Rex bad Rex.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Tape Never Lies : “The Good The Bad & The Ugly” - Trubisky & The Offense vs the Lions

[video][/video]

It appears Draft Doctor Phil has moved on from Bears Barroom and has set up a new YouTube channel.
wab
Mod

Looks like he's getting better at going through his progressions. This is night and day from last season.

G08
Hall of Famer

He's getting better, he's not as jumpy in the pocket and there is a sense of calm to him which I like to see. That ball to Anthony Miller on 3rd down was a fucking dime, should have been another TD for our young QB.

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:02 pm The Tape Never Lies : “The Good The Bad & The Ugly” - Trubisky & The Offense vs the Lions

[video][/video]

It appears Draft Doctor Phil has moved on from Bears Barroom and has set up a new YouTube channel.
I like Phil’s work breaking don tape.

WHat the heck is knock the knight? :D
UOK
Site Admin

Draft Dr Phil's delivery with that intro is super weird. I liked his stuff a lot better when he was just going straight to film.

He fucked up doing some shady shit on twitter awhile back and got thrown out of Bears Barroom, is my understanding. Created fake twitter accounts to cultivate argument with himself and generate artificial buzz.
G08
Hall of Famer