Blackhawks won't re-up G Corey Crawford, look to start youth movement

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That is why they had a trade package for Fluery, to get younger. Funny.

The non-signing does not break my heart. It is time. I believe Crow is about done. It is time to move on now. Bowman has fucked this team over with some of the bad contracts, it is going to take some time to rise up again.
UOK
Site Admin

I'm very, VERY leery of them committing to a youth movement. They'll give it all of one season before they panic and go balls out trading prospects and picks and signing junk-ass grizzled vets/former Blackhawks.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

seems like there could be a goalie carousel under way ... Holtby leaves the Caps for Vancouver, Lundqvist leaves the Rangers for Washington ... and it seems Fluery is in fact on the block in Vegas
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Crawford ended up in New Jersey, but it was really interesting reading the "Core 4" comments in The Athletic. None of them, to no surprise, are pleased about the non-renewal of Crawford or the departure of Saad. They all have 3-4 more years left in their deal, BUT they all have no-movement clauses.

There's definitely a little bit of entitlement on the players side of things, which is relatively merited considering their accomplishments. They feel the management should consult them more directly regarding changes or player moves (the last time they did that, they re-acquired Saad and Shaw, so...), and felt like Crawford had another cup run in him.

Meh.

The team is currently skating out the contracts of the 3-cup core, and while I understand the mourning process of losing guys they really liked in Saad and Crawford (and who knows who else by the time Bowman's done),

1. This is a business. The team has been scraping around the cap for a decade now, and it sucks ass.
2. This isn't an Adam Sandler movie. You can't simply gather all your old friends and pals to play with every time.
3. The "bring back the cup Hawks" stuff has been played out, and ultimately doesn't work.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Saad and Shaw re-acquisitions on a nostalgic, surface level, but Saad is a bridesmaid who will never become a 3rd of what Hossa was, and Shaw played his NHL career out in the first years in the league, because his body took a fucking pounding, and his brain is currently pudding.

I'm tired of the team being in Atlanta Braves limbo where you dip your toes into the post season for years and years, never making much of a dent along the way. I don't THINK Bowman's trying to pressure one or more of the core to waive their NTCs, but if they did...I don't think I'd be too upset about it.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Keith and Seabrook, I am ready to see them move on. Toews and Kane, not sure. If they could haul in some great draft picks and decent players in a trade (of NTCs waived) I could probably go along with that. Crow needed to go. Saad, like him, but it is what it is.