Drafting a QB in '22

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I'm on board with building the other pieces on offense rather than drafting a QB this year as I think the cost to move up will be too much for this team. But let's examine another aspect. This year it seems like a huge amount of teams are looking for QBs.

I think the teams that pull the trigger on QBs in the first round this year will be Jax, Jets, Philly, Panthers and 49ers. So clearly in '22 they won't be looking to draft a QB in the first (6 teams)

So now lets throw in the teams that have a QB of such a caliber that we can all agree they won't be drafting a QB in '22.

7. Buffalo
8. K.C.
9. Chargers
10. Ravens
11. Browns
12. Cincy
13. Houston (they will figure out how to keep Watson or he is traded to a team above and they draft a guy in the first this year)
14. Dallas (they will figure out how to keep Prescott)
15. Seahags (Wilson isn't going anywhere)
16. Rams
17. Cardinals
18. Green Bay

I then think these teams are likely to stick with the QB they currently have

19. The Rayders (Gruden's an idiot, but will stick with Carr)
20. Titans - Tiny Hill fits what they do well.
21. Miami - They will give Tua time (a mistake but they'll do it0
22. G-Men They took Jones at 6 and will at least ride with him while on a rookie contract.

Then you take these teams out of the equations as they should have solid records next year and still go into post season play

23. Tampa - Tom is back next season, enough said
24. Stealers - Big Benn will be back with them and is still a solid NFL QB
25. New Orleans - I think Drew hangs it up, but they are so well coached they will still be a great team.

This leaves the Pats, Broncos, WFT, Minny, Lions and Dirty birds with us in a spot needing a QB early in the draft. Luck could show something, Minny could reup Cousins for a year, Goff's change of teams could be good for him.

So if we invest in the OL and WR rooms and Foles doesn't pan out I think we will be in a much better spot to land one of the top QBs in the draft. At that point he would hopefully have better talent around him thereby giving him a better shot at success.
wab
Mod

Guys. We have like 10 QB threads.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Sorry I was looking at it form a viewpoint other than fixing it this year and how it may give us a shot at a "better talent" feel free to merge it wherever you think is fit.

Maybe it should go to Hoog's "where are we with the QB situation thread" I just thought it was more unique than that.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Perhaps we just need more cowbells to go with all the QB threads.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:12 pm Guys. We have like 10 QB threads.
Certainly there are times when consolidation is helpful, but, generally, I greatly prefer having 10 threads for 10 different specific aspects of it, versus having 1 massive megathread where there's 10 different conversations going on.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:08 pm
This leaves the Pats, Broncos, WFT, Minny, Lions and Dirty birds with us in a spot needing a QB early in the draft. Luck could show something, Minny could reup Cousins for a year, Goff's change of teams could be good for him.

So if we invest in the OL and WR rooms and Foles doesn't pan out I think we will be in a much better spot to land one of the top QBs in the draft. At that point he would hopefully have better talent around him thereby giving him a better shot at success.
I like the effort in the exploration, but the idea of 7 teams looking for QB doesn't fill me with optimism.
There's usually only 1-4 high quality prospects in a year and the Bears will likely be drafting on the late side again after being mediocre again.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:51 pm
Certainly there are times when consolidation is helpful, but, generally, I greatly prefer having 10 threads for 10 different specific aspects of it, versus having 1 massive megathread where there's 10 different conversations going on.
Yea I agree, the tangents take on their own life and are really separate discussions. Unless extra threads cost money or something I don’t see the problem?

As for QBs in 22, I just don’t know. At some point we need to acquire a young QB, if we roll with Foles I bet we take a QB in the first 3 rounds and for better or worse we probably don’t double dip in 22.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

One more and we'll have as many QB threads as we've had starting QBs in the last decade! :lol:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I agree with different angles having different threads.

And in this case, I think we'll be drafting notably higher in '22 than we are this time around. With a new coach and GM.

So yeah. No future mortgaging. Let's upgrade what we can upgrade with the resources we have available to us now. We've given Pace enough time and resources to make us into a winner. He still has another year to let his plan bear fruit. And if it doesn't, then maybe it's time to find another football decision maker who doesn't have his hands tied behind his back out of the gate.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Hoog
Player of the Month

Wab, is this a pet peeve? :D I am guilty as mentioned. I also like the multiple threads because the original thought gets lost when people take it in so many directions. Personally, it's easier for me to focus on the thought process from the original poster if there is a separate thread. I'm newer here so just tell me how you want to roll and I will follow.

Also, in reference to this threads topic, it was a very nice break down, glad you put in the variables that could happen such as Goff doing well, etc... Strange things happen during the year that will muck up next years draft thought now. If the QB's from college that are suppose to be good all come out (3-4) then as pointed out, we will be fighting 7 other teams to get one. We may have to really suck to have a chance.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:55 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:08 pm

I like the effort in the exploration, but the idea of 7 teams looking for QB doesn't fill me with optimism.
There's usually only 1-4 high quality prospects in a year and the Bears will likely be drafting on the late side again after being mediocre again.
That's true but we may be drafting much lower in '22 so we would be in a better spot to land one, or at least it wouldn't take as much capital to move up to land one.

Also, they should be in a better situation to succeed and not get shell shocked.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Hoog wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:06 am
Wab, is this a pet peeve?
I'm not @wab, but I can assure you that moderating fewer threads is preferable to moderating more.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I appreciate the thinking here but it seems like a long walk to an answer we already knew: most years there are 6-8 teams who'd like draft a starting QB but there are only 2-4 top prospects. The Bears will need a draft pick before #8 (latest) next year to draft a guy they can expect to be a good 2022 starter.
xyt in the discord chats
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

At this time, and it's obviously early, the pickings at QB are considered slimmer than for this draft.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.