The "I Hate My Job" Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

bearsfaninaz wrote:I am starting to hate my job as well. Just being a retail manager sucks balls. Have a manager that is obviously on drugs that nothing happens to him. Now I have to cover his shifts so he can get into a program which means working Sundays until his return. Been 2 months now. Pisses me off.
yeah sometimes the guy who makes the best effort on the job gets to carry the biggest load - been there, done that

when you apply for a promotion is the time to bring up your history of being a team player - a fair employer should give due consideration to your carrying the extra burden of working Sundays, being away from family, etc, for the benefit of the company and your fellow employee - it is an extra sacrifice that should factor in to your value as an employee

other side of the coin is if you bitch a lot about it that works against you

I think if a guy is working for a fair employer he better think twice about changing jobs.
No matter how you try to box him in, whatever realistic scenario you propose to build around him is going to include the fashion aspect(s) of Caleb's dramatic personality.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

pus wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:I am starting to hate my job as well. Just being a retail manager sucks balls. Have a manager that is obviously on drugs that nothing happens to him. Now I have to cover his shifts so he can get into a program which means working Sundays until his return. Been 2 months now. Pisses me off.
yeah sometimes the guy who makes the best effort on the job gets to carry the biggest load - been there, done that

when you apply for a promotion is the time to bring up your history of being a team player - a fair employer should give due consideration to your carrying the extra burden of working Sundays, being away from family, etc, for the benefit of the company and your fellow employee - it is an extra sacrifice that should factor in to your value as an employee

other side of the coin is if you bitch a lot about it that works against you

I think if a guy is working for a fair employer he better think twice about changing jobs.
I keep majority of my complaints to myself. There are some I feel the need to bring up to upper management though. I'm currently the only manager on staff that has not called out sick in over 3 years. Most managers can't go a month without calling out. As far as raises go I got $.50 lol. Hard to be the reliable one at that raise IMO.
wab
Mod

I know it was just a part time gig so I could buy beer and tacos, but jesus I hated retail. I absolutely did not have the temperament or personality for it.

I mean, you just saw me fold that goddamn shirt...at least make an attempt to fold it back up and not toss it back down in a heap.

Oh... it's 8:59 and you see me closing the gate, but you'd like to return those 5 bags of clothes because you maxed out your credit card like an idiot but still need to buy books for the semester and want to do it RIGHT NOW.

I hated it.
UOK
Site Admin

I have been lucky enough never to have worked in retail, but I did more than my fair share of shitty temp jobs.

Call centers, mostly.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

8-)
shittiest part-time job I had was manufacturing fiberglass motorcycle fairings - wore sweaty white disposable coveralls that you had to seal with duck tape around the neck, sleeves and legs for doing fiberglass finish work - hand tools all run off compressed air - routers, sanders, polishers - fiberglass dust airborne all over the shop, inside your coveralls, clothes, eyes ears bellybutton every place on your body - plastic goggles & paper dust masks for moral support - three guys ran the glass chopper spray gun in a closed room with sweaty respirators - everybody wanted to work the spray room it paid the most resin vapors all day got you dizzy and killed sense of smell if you did it a lot.

End of shift washed your hands clean in acetone, go home itched like crazy - couldn't take a hot shower it opened up your pores, that really cranked up the itch so I used to take a long cold shower with a six pack right after work.

Fiberglass dust wore off your body gradual over couple days but the worst was couldn't afford AC so hot weather I'd be sweating so any body movement whatsoever the moisture of the sweat works the fiberglass particles around on your skin especially where the skin rubs back and forth like your sweaty armpits, crotch, crack of your ass even after a cold beer shower which really only helped while you were in it - ass itch city all over again as you dried off.

22 years old never let myself have a single thought about sex that whole miserable summer no sex no way forget about it - my no sex ass itch cold beer shower summer job in 1973 free love and hot chicks coming up like wildflowers.

my piles bleed for you guys
No matter how you try to box him in, whatever realistic scenario you propose to build around him is going to include the fashion aspect(s) of Caleb's dramatic personality.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Got demoted today. So might have a drink for first time in 20+ years
G08
Hall of Famer

pus wrote:8-)
shittiest part-time job I had was manufacturing fiberglass motorcycle fairings - wore sweaty white disposable coveralls that you had to seal with duck tape around the neck, sleeves and legs for doing fiberglass finish work - hand tools all run off compressed air - routers, sanders, polishers - fiberglass dust airborne all over the shop, inside your coveralls, clothes, eyes ears bellybutton every place on your body - plastic goggles & paper dust masks for moral support - three guys ran the glass chopper spray gun in a closed room with sweaty respirators - everybody wanted to work the spray room it paid the most resin vapors all day got you dizzy and killed sense of smell if you did it a lot.

End of shift washed your hands clean in acetone, go home itched like crazy - couldn't take a hot shower it opened up your pores, that really cranked up the itch so I used to take a long cold shower with a six pack right after work.

Fiberglass dust wore off your body gradual over couple days but the worst was couldn't afford AC so hot weather I'd be sweating so any body movement whatsoever the moisture of the sweat works the fiberglass particles around on your skin especially where the skin rubs back and forth like your sweaty armpits, crotch, crack of your ass even after a cold beer shower which really only helped while you were in it - ass itch city all over again as you dried off.

22 years old never let myself have a single thought about sex that whole miserable summer no sex no way forget about it - my no sex ass itch cold beer shower summer job in 1973 free love and hot chicks coming up like wildflowers.

Save for no internet, I would have fucking loved to have lived in that era man.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
pus wrote:8-)

Save for no internet, I would have fucking loved to have lived in that era man.

Yeah, the AIDS outbreak ultimately dampened some fun times for everyone...
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, shit is hitting the fan. I locked a kid (he is on home confinement and was picked up in Missouri with his drugged up dad, who had to be given a shot of Narcon to get him out of his heroin OD) up last week for being out of state without permission and admitting to smoking cannabis while away from home. The Asst SA was attempting to tell me that I could not lock him up since he was with a parent. I boiled over and told him "Fuck you.!!" Basically told him this kid is a shit bag (has a rape and 3 other felonies pending) and if he wasn't going to do a fucking thing I was. I then told him if he didn't like, FUCK IT!" I told him to not come to me for recommendations on these criminals anymore and he could do whatever the fuck he wanted. Walked away and slammed my door on the fucker. This all took place in front of my supervisor, who supported my outburst.

When this kid got to Court, the plan was to release him again!! But at least this time it would have been on a GPS monitor/ankle braceet. Thank goodness no family members showed for him.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well he will get picked up soon. I bet within a week he cuts it of, or stops charging it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

my life working in a real life Dilbert environment :

manager assembles a group of us to go over a "new and exciting project" (which we always mentally translate to "great - here we go again") ... says he chose us because we have shown how well we can work together ... says he will e-mail us the overall project portfolio, with separate e-mails for specific items of priority ... says he'll be gone for a couple of weeks so that should give us time to have all our assessments done so we can begin ordering things when he gets back

he doesn't send the files to us until like 8:30 at night, which of course we don't see until the next day (after he has left on his trip)

the files are CAC badge and password protected

none of us were given the password he assigned
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Gov work boris? We have our IT guys do that at every update. New program/software done on Friday as they leave for vacation. Everyone's fucked.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

bearsfaninaz wrote:Got demoted today. So might have a drink for first time in 20+ years
Don't tie one on to tight.
Sucks though, big party cut?
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:Got demoted today. So might have a drink for first time in 20+ years
Don't tie one on to tight.
Sucks though, big party cut?
No pay cut, but severely hurts my chances to move up to get my own store at some point. The shining light is every employee doesn't understand the demotion and that makes me feel like they agree that it was a bs demotion. Also I didn't have that drink.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:Gov work boris?
yes

mmmc_35 wrote:We have our IT guys do that at every update. New program/software done on Friday as they leave for vacation. Everyone's fucked.
ever since CAC badge verification has been implemented, most things have gone pretty smooth ... the problem is the option to add a password with the CAC verification is still there, and those that choose to do that are just very stupid about it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
leomaz
Rookie

It’s a tough job with a great view
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Does Anybody Remember Laughter?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I have been very busy at my work training for a new position. I like the job but in to the 3rd month of training of 4 months is getting long. As a trainee you do more, and end up doing a lot of paper work on your own time.

So devoting extra time during training has made the wife do less at home. Weird combo but it's becoming a fucking grind. It has made me post less on here which isn't bad because the Bears are a black hole of heart break .
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

:flick: Me to the Judge and the State's Attorney.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

good news for anyone here who:
-hates their job
-hates working with ugly dudes

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

My supervisor has started to get on my ass entirely too much. I don't even get in my office, don't even get my fucking coat and hat off before she is meeting me at the secretary's desk. she is starting to tell me what the hell I need to do when I have not even got comfortable yet. :angry: Maybe she is sensing my hate for the job and how my performance is suffering. She needs to realize she is not helping.

And this working the week after Christmas sucks!!!! I have had this week off for at least the past 12 years. My co-worker (with more seniority) changed up on me this year and took this week.
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:My supervisor has started to get on my ass entirely too much. I don't even get in my office, don't even get my fucking coat and hat off before she is meeting me at the secretary's desk. she is starting to tell me what the hell I need to do when I have not even got comfortable yet. :angry: Maybe she is sensing my hate for the job and how my performance is suffering. She needs to realize she is not helping.

And this working the week after Christmas sucks!!!! I have had this week off for at least the past 12 years. My co-worker (with more seniority) changed up on me this year and took this week.
I would politely tell her that you want to hear every word she says, but you just walked into the building and need to put your things down so you can really focus on what she's trying to communicate (it's bullshit but they eat that shit up)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
Otis Day wrote:My supervisor has started to get on my ass entirely too much. I don't even get in my office, don't even get my fucking coat and hat off before she is meeting me at the secretary's desk. she is starting to tell me what the hell I need to do when I have not even got comfortable yet. :angry: Maybe she is sensing my hate for the job and how my performance is suffering. She needs to realize she is not helping.

I would politely tell her that you want to hear every word she says, but you just walked into the building and need to put your things down so you can really focus on what she's trying to communicate (it's bullshit but they eat that shit up)
This is sound advice.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

You know it is bad when a kid (16) and his mother come in and they are both trashed!! The kid could barely stay awake (he is not narcoleptic) and he couldn't keep the drug test swab in his mouth too easily. Both were slurring their words. Mom is making all kinds of excuses as to why shit doesn't get done (substance abuse eval, enrolling her kid in school). What makes matters worse, the fucking state's atty's office doesn't do shit.

This kid has no chance. He has already did a short stint in juvey prison. It is fucked up. The mom bounces from drug house to drug house as well.

Gonna be a long 10 yrs.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:44 pm You know it is bad when a kid (16) and his mother come in and they are both trashed!! The kid could barely stay awake (he is not narcoleptic) and he couldn't keep the drug test swab in his mouth too easily. Both were slurring their words. Mom is making all kinds of excuses as to why shit doesn't get done (substance abuse eval, enrolling her kid in school). What makes matters worse, the fucking state's atty's office doesn't do shit.

This kid has no chance. He has already did a short stint in juvey prison. It is fucked up. The mom bounces from drug house to drug house as well.

Gonna be a long 10 yrs.
This made me laugh at your pain.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

What adds to it, dealing with a lazy, uneducated assistant state's attorney, AGAIN!! That office goes thru assistants like I go thru butter. All the new, young hires are assigned to juvenile court. Most have just graduated or have done no criminal law at all. They do not get adequately trained and they are just put out there to figure out themselves. In 15 years in my current county, I have had to deal with 16 different state's attys.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

That's similar here. Last time I had court the DA was 12 years old. She couldn't prove the guy driving the car he crashed on video, was found passed out behind the wheel, fought with us while in the car, with multiple other felonies, was operating the vehicle.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I'm having fun remaining professional with customers that show me other company's free professional drawings, for me to base a quote off of; The lady that needs a downspout drain, but wants to run it uphill, and argues with me that it will work; The guy that called me drunk to set up his appointment...full on slurring can barely understand him...definitely got him to call back and then had him text me his name and address; and the 3 guys that already in 1 week tell me if I take X amount off I can have the job, otherwise the "other guy" gets it...I almost always tell them give it to the other guy. Sold 2 of those jobs. Definitely getting a deposit from them though.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

This has become a good outlet for me to bitch about work. I don't like talking work at home or off hrs, especially with my wife. I kind of like to have no shop talk at home.

The young, dumbass asst state's atty has struck again. A female client has been AWOL for approx. 1 year. She was found a few days ago in Chicago after stealing a car and wrecking said car into 2 other cars. After a short stint in a medical hospital she was transferred to a mental hospital. After being arrested the saw she had a warrant out of our county. We have been in contact with the mental hospital in Chicago and go a "police hold" on the girl.

The young dumbass SA was apprised of the situation. His idea for the matter, DISMISS ALL THE PTRS AND PENDING CASES AGAINST HER AND QUASH THE WARRANT!!!!!!!! WHY YOU ASK? BECAUSE HE DOESN'T WANT TO DO THE FUCKING PAPERWORK TO GET HER BACK HER OR DEAL WITH AN UNHAPPY SHERIFF'S OFFICE THAT WILL HAVE TO DRIVE 3 HRS TO GET HER!!!

This is what I have been having to deal with lately. Thank goodness this young dumbfuck is leaving in June.
Xee
Site Admin

I know this doesn't fit the general theme of the posts here but I just thought I'd post it.

After graduating from high school, I had no idea what I wanted to do so I decided to start off by going to a community college for the first 2 years to figure that out while I got my gen eds out of they way.

The only thing I had to work with was that I had taken a programming class in high school and had loved it so I started on the computer science track. While I enjoyed all the coding classes, I fell flat on my face in the physics and chemistry classes and because I was young and stupid, instead of seeking help I took it as a sign that computer science wasn't for me.

I then spent a lot of time bouncing around different majors, most with an underlying theme of working with computers, until I finally found a track that was pure coding, no science. That kept me focused but as I got closer to finishing my associates degree, I began wondering if I would be able to find a job with it. I didn't know anyone in the industry and since this was in 2008, we were right in the middle of the recession which really showed a lot of people which jobs were actually "recession-proof".

In the end, I ended up making a complete 180. I had taken some accounting courses as pre-reqs for a certification in "Microcomputers in Business" and ended up have developing a great relationship with the professor of those courses. She really sold accounting as a career, saying that it was recession proof, paid well, you could do a lot of things with an accounting degree, etc. It was exactly the things I wanted to hear and as I really just wanted to move on with my life, I made just an objective decision to pursue that as a major.

I stayed laser-focused on that, got my associates in arts, transferred to a 4-year university, got my bachelors, got my masters, and went into public accounting. I was at the same firm up until last year when the pandemic really made me question my decision of career. I was lucky that there weren't really any layoffs in my group but a couple people left and it was way more stressful than past years. I ended up making it through all the deadlines but was completely spent. After 7 years, the career path had just led me away from the things I had actually liked and there wasn't really anything else to motivate me besides having to have a check to pay the bills. I wanted to create something unique, to work more with new technologies, and to ultimately make my own mark on the world that I could lack back to and say "I built that".

I ended up talking with my wife and said I wanted to give software engineering another shot because I knew it was something I would always regret if I didn't. She was 100% supportive and so I decided to take an introductory course to JavaScript and see if coding was as much fun as a I remembered it being all those years ago. For pretty much all of November I would work until 5:00, take a little break, and then code until 10 or 11.

I ended up having a blast so we made the decision to give it a try. I applied to and was accepted at a coding bootcamp which started in December but wasn't full-time so I was still able to work and really see if I wanted to continue with it. Again, it was a ton of fun so when the part-time portion ended and I had passed all the checkpoints to advance to the full-time portion, I put in my two weeks notice.

Fast forward to yesterday when I officially graduated from bootcamp. I learned a ton of stuff, built a lot of cool things, and in about a week or so I'm going to start applying for jobs.

So yeah, I guess this post is more of a I-didn't-like-my-job-anymore-so-I'm-trying-something-else post. haha
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Good for you man. So you are literally one of the people, "learn to code" wasnt some type of insult. In reality coding is one of those professions that are essentially economic proof if you are good at it.