Politics-Free Pandemic/COVID-19 Discussion

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

My father-in-law, 89, got his second yesterday. He has had no problems to this point. This man is a friggin horse man. 89 and he still goes, farms at harvest time, strong as an ox. Thank goodness he has been fine.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:26 pm My father-in-law, 89, got his second yesterday. He has had no problems to this point. This man is a friggin horse man. 89 and he still goes, farms at harvest time, strong as an ox. Thank goodness he has been fine.
They dont make many men with the same grit as they use too. The saying, "Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times," I think definitely applies.
Xee
Site Admin

mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:01 pm
Otis Day wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:26 pm My father-in-law, 89, got his second yesterday. He has had no problems to this point. This man is a friggin horse man. 89 and he still goes, farms at harvest time, strong as an ox. Thank goodness he has been fine.
They dont make many men with the same grit as they use too. The saying, "Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times," I think definitely applies.
Eh, "strong" and "weak" are subjective terms so I think that's just one of those sayings that you might see on a t-shirt but has no real practical value.
UOK
Site Admin

Yeah, let's not get into this "what makes a man" thing. It's destined to not end anywhere good.

----------

One of the guys in my department ended up getting COVID, likely due to a Super Bowl party (smart!). Really happy to cover his workload while he recovers.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Laugh a philosophical debate on the nature of man would get crazy. We would likely start marking territory, and sharpening sticks. Sorry I crack myself up at times.
IE
Hall of Famer

I just got my 2nd Moderna shot last Monday. After the first one I had a headache and was really kind of out of it for a day and a half. But the second one was just a few hours of very mild headache and that's it... next day felt absolutely great.

I got mine from end-of-day surplus at my wife's hospital. Had to go wait a few days until they had extra.

Now Michigan just lowered the age to 50 for everyone, and it's going to go to 16 and over starting 4/5. Which is awesome.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Got my first dose of the Pfizer on Tuesday morning, Wednesday afternoon i was dragging, Thursday I had joint pain similar to when I had COVID in October, Friday I was good to go.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Gratz, @IE and @southdakbearfan.

I'm in Phase 2 in IL. Spouse is scheduled to get her first on the 19th as an AF vet thru the local VA hospital. Oldest is Phase 1C due to comorbidities, rest of the kids are Phase 2. (Well, except the one living out of state.)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
UOK
Site Admin

southdakbearfan wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:24 pm Got my first dose of the Pfizer on Tuesday morning, Wednesday afternoon i was dragging, Thursday I had joint pain similar to when I had COVID in October, Friday I was good to go.
Just got my second Pfizer this morning. Waiting on the likely "I feel like a bag of shit" feeling here in a couple hours. Felt 100% after my first injection, though.

My wife's 2nd Moderna vaccine hit her like a damn train. She was on her ass for a good 5-6 hours, but woke up the next day feeling terrific.
IE
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:34 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:24 pm Got my first dose of the Pfizer on Tuesday morning, Wednesday afternoon i was dragging, Thursday I had joint pain similar to when I had COVID in October, Friday I was good to go.
Just got my second Pfizer this morning. Waiting on the likely "I feel like a bag of shit" feeling here in a couple hours. Felt 100% after my first injection, though.

My wife's 2nd Moderna vaccine hit her like a damn train. She was on her ass for a good 5-6 hours, but woke up the next day feeling terrific.
UOK did your wife have covid? Working at a hospital, my wife knows a large number of people who have been vaccinated. It isn't a scientific sample or study - but she said that her coworkers have mostly concluded that people who have had covid take the vaccine harder than people who haven't. It does make sense, since the immune system might respond with more alarm when it knows what it is facing.

On interesting thing with mine is I took the first one in the right arm. Did feel localized soreness for a few days - kinda like someone punched me really hard. Then the second one I took in the left arm. Within a few hours, that site started getting sore as expected. But then the other side where I got my first shot also started becoming sore again. Pretty weird - but I guess it is a localized immune system response. A buddy of mine at U of M Medicine said the immune system could build up more defenses where it first encountered the virus. I thought it was really interesting. It wasn't super painful more just surprising the way that happened.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
UOK
Site Admin

IE wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:09 pm
UOK wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:34 pm

UOK did your wife have covid? Working at a hospital, my wife knows a large number of people who have been vaccinated. It isn't a scientific sample or study - but she said that her coworkers have mostly concluded that people who have had covid take the vaccine harder than people who haven't. It does make sense, since the immune system might respond with more alarm when it knows what it is facing.

On interesting thing with mine is I took the first one in the right arm. Did feel localized soreness for a few days - kinda like someone punched me really hard. Then the second one I took in the left arm. Within a few hours, that site started getting sore as expected. But then the other side where I got my first shot also started becoming sore again. Pretty weird - but I guess it is a localized immune system response. A buddy of mine at U of M Medicine said the immune system could build up more defenses where it first encountered the virus. I thought it was really interesting. It wasn't super painful more just surprising the way that happened.
Nope. Both of us were tested numerous times over the last year and never positive.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:27 pm Gratz, @IE and @southdakbearfan.

I'm in Phase 2 in IL. Spouse is scheduled to get her first on the 19th as an AF vet thru the local VA hospital. Oldest is Phase 1C due to comorbidities, rest of the kids are Phase 2. (Well, except the one living out of state.)
We are in phase 1d here. I bumped up from 1e to 1d due to asthma otherwise I would have been in the critical infrastructure group 1e.

Wife gets hers this week as teachers are in 1d here as well. My two daughters work at the hospital so they were in 1c.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Wierd to label it phase 1 a,b,c,d etc.
UOK
Site Admin

So I got my 2nd vaccine of Pfizer on Sunday and it went a bit like this:

11:30am - shot, sore arm, feeling good

7:30pm - started feeling drowsy like I took a benadryl

4:30am - woke up feeling achy and sore, horribly uncomfortable, feverish, and hot/cold/hot/cold

2pm - finally conked out to nap for 3 hours

I'm feeling OK this morning but whenever I sleep/rest that much in a single day my back becomes miserably sore. Otherwise I'm not too bad.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yeah seems 24 hours and your done with side effects
Xee
Site Admin

It sounds like it varies person to person. My sister-and-law and mother-in-law both had their second shots last week and besides from soreness in the area where they got the shot, they had no side effects.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It is interesting how the topic of vaccines comes up now, seems like no matter where I am at.

At a celebration of life last night and an older couple, friends of my family for years, were discussing how surprised they were that no one was wearing masks. I concurred, knowing I was not expecting to see anyone with masks. They then mentioned how they felt safe as they had there vaccinations.

A few minutes later, another person ,out of the blue, mentioned how they had their vaccines as well. By the end of the night there were a couple of others who brought vaccines up as well. I was not sure if they were wanting to know if I had them or was going to get them or what. Just seemed odd in the context of the gathering ( a death) and the amount of people that were pounding brews that this subject came up.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:58 am It is interesting how the topic of vaccines comes up now, seems like no matter where I am at.

At a celebration of life last night and an older couple, friends of my family for years, were discussing how surprised they were that no one was wearing masks. I concurred, knowing I was not expecting to see anyone with masks. They then mentioned how they felt safe as they had there vaccinations.

A few minutes later, another person ,out of the blue, mentioned how they had their vaccines as well. By the end of the night there were a couple of others who brought vaccines up as well. I was not sure if they were wanting to know if I had them or was going to get them or what. Just seemed odd in the context of the gathering ( a death) and the amount of people that were pounding brews that this subject came up.
I think it's a logical course of discussion. I think people *want* to advertise they've received their vaccines as sort of a signal flare that, "hey, I'm available to hang out, I'm ready to return to normal and did my part." It's a sigh of relief, really.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Honestly vaccines haven't been a big topic of discussion in my life. Occasionally but rare.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:41 am Honestly vaccines haven't been a big topic of discussion in my life. Occasionally but rare.
Same.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

got my first Pfizer dose on Saturday ... other than a sore arm a while later, had no noticeable issues ... woke up Sunday with a very sore arm and had cotton mouth as if I had partied hard the evening before ... and it was weird because I'd drink water or Gatorade and 20 minutes later I was again parched ... so sore arm and a need to drink lots of water was my side effects ... that lingered until this morning ... arm now back to normal and no longer feel the need to drink my weight in water
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I personally am going to sit this one out.

I'm no anti-vaxxer. I get the flu shot every year. This vaccine is a brand new type (mRNA) and it came out months after the disease yet the normal approval time is measured in years.

If other folks get it I think that's great. I'm just going to rely on my own immune system and preventative care for something with a survival rate of 99.xx%.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

2nd shot was like the first. 2 days and good to go.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:48 pm I personally am going to sit this one out.

I'm no anti-vaxxer. I get the flu shot every year. This vaccine is a brand new type (mRNA) and it came out months after the disease yet the normal approval time is measured in years.

If other folks get it I think that's great. I'm just going to rely on my own immune system and preventative care for something with a survival rate of 99.xx%.

Right there with you. I don't get the flu vaccine though.
Xee
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:48 pm I personally am going to sit this one out.

Understood. I also did my own research on the safety of mRNA vaccines but just came to a different conclusion that the risk of any side-effects were much smaller than the risk of me not surviving. More importantly though, I just wanted to do my part to increase herd immunity to protect those who can't get vaccinated.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Xee wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:40 am

Understood. I also did my own research on the safety of mRNA vaccines but just came to a different conclusion that the risk of any side-effects were much smaller than the risk of me not surviving. More importantly though, I just wanted to do my part to increase herd immunity to protect those who can't get vaccinated.
Same, @Xee .

As always, YMMV.
KFFL refugee.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So a few people who I know that are smart, and also in the fields of vaccines. Here is my dumb person explanation of what those smart people say.

I got the vaccine not because I was scared of the disease but because the category I was in it would have been a waisted dose. However after a discussion I would say if you are young, previously infected, etc definitely think about it. Flip a coin.

Generally the consensus fron these vaccine nerds is you dont need to worry but.

Mrna vaccines have been studied for a long time. However this is the first major successful one.

The major concern is how is the RNA effects the cell. Generally its thought that without something like Crispr (a viral enzyme that can in theory be attached to rna to change dna) however there are possibilities that rna could do this with out those enzymes.

Think the death star. Death star is a cell. RNA are the republic fighters. Generally the death star is impenetrable. However there are exhaust ports. Same as your cells. There is a possibility Luke Skywalker can drop some bombs in to your death star and blow it up. "RNA could possibly enter cell and change DNA not have DNA adapt."

The long term concern is cancer. Its extremely unlikely. The general consensus was this RNA vs6cine causes adaptation not change to the DNA.

So after this conversation I tried to research this. And I'm too dumb. I tried though I really tried.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:16 pm So a few people who I know that are smart, and also in the fields of vaccines. Here is my dumb person explanation of what those smart people say.

I got the vaccine not because I was scared of the disease but because the category I was in it would have been a waisted dose. However after a discussion I would say if you are young, previously infected, etc definitely think about it. Flip a coin.

Generally the consensus fron these vaccine nerds is you dont need to worry but.

Mrna vaccines have been studied for a long time. However this is the first major successful one.

The major concern is how is the RNA effects the cell. Generally its thought that without something like Crispr (a viral enzyme that can in theory be attached to rna to change dna) however there are possibilities that rna could do this with out those enzymes.

Think the death star. Death star is a cell. RNA are the republic fighters. Generally the death star is impenetrable. However there are exhaust ports. Same as your cells. There is a possibility Luke Skywalker can drop some bombs in to your death star and blow it up. "RNA could possibly enter cell and change DNA not have DNA adapt."

The long term concern is cancer. Its extremely unlikely. The general consensus was this RNA vs6cine causes adaptation not change to the DNA.

So after this conversation I tried to research this. And I'm too dumb. I tried though I really tried.
I've read a lot of similar publications and it lead me completely to reject the vaccine at this time.
The risk associated with an unknown effect from a rushed vax is worse than the risk of contracting covid for me.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Had dinner with a person whom develops vaccines the other night. Any qualms I had where quickly reduced. My previous post is full of inaccuracies kind of. This person has published articles on the main vaccine. So essentially the lipids which are the pathway from the rna into the cell. They dont contain enzymes or the code locator. Essentially the cell eats the RNA and it upsets their tummy. Then it shits out the rna that doesn't last long in the body. As long as the virus is in the same class its golden.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Indelicate, but largely accurate, description. LOL
KFFL refugee.