The "I Hate My Job" Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Good for you man. I am kind of jealous of that type of conviction. Having worked for the same company for so long, I find myself in a rut often. I have gotten to be a part of some really cool projects that invigorate me (I'm 100% positive you all have seen a lot of my work out in the world) but there's a lot of down time between those projects. I've also sort of transitioned into a little more of a pseudo-management role over the last several years, so I'm less involed in the day to day work...and that's just not as fun.
G08
Hall of Famer

Dude good for you man!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN 33 SEASONS

Xee
Site Admin

mmmc_35 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:37 am Good for you man. So you are literally one of the people, "learn to code" wasnt some type of insult. In reality coding is one of those professions that are essentially economic proof if you are good at it.
Yeah, I know that's used in a disparaging context but I was really surprised by the diversity of people in my cohort. There were construction workers, doctors, scientists, people right out of high school, etc. Being almost 40, I was worried about the age aspect but was happy to see there were more than a few people my age and I wasn't even the oldest one; there was one woman who was 51, never coded a day in her life, but by the end of the cohort she was one of the strongest coders in my opinion.

And thanks to everyone else! They tell us the first job is always the most difficult to find and it can take up to 3-6 months but I only have savings left for 3-4 so I'm definitely stressing out. I feel pretty prepared though so I'll post an update on how the job search goes.
UOK
Site Admin

Xee wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:38 am
mmmc_35 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:37 am Good for you man. So you are literally one of the people, "learn to code" wasnt some type of insult. In reality coding is one of those professions that are essentially economic proof if you are good at it.
Yeah, I know that's used in a disparaging context but I was really surprised by the diversity of people in my cohort. There were construction workers, doctors, scientists, people right out of high school, etc. Being almost 40, I was worried about the age aspect but was happy to see there were more than a few people my age and I wasn't even the oldest one; there was one woman who was 51, never coded a day in her life, but by the end of the cohort she was one of the strongest coders in my opinion.

And thanks to everyone else! They tell us the first job is always the most difficult to find and it can take up to 3-6 months but I only have savings left for 3-4 so I'm definitely stressing out. I feel pretty prepared though so I'll post an update on how the job search goes.
Just keep applying, man. There's positions out there. I've found that listings on places like Monster/etc are often mediocre-to-scant in terms of being updated. You may have more luck going institution-by-institution and checking their careers page. I'm currently interviewing for another IT job myself, but more for use as a bargaining chip to get a raise at my current gig. I only found that opportunity because a few contacts notified my wife, and it was buried on their careers page.

Don't give up, and don't despair. In the interim try to cultivate as many demonstrations of your ability as possible, archive them all, and update the resume religiously. Put together an online portfolio, even. Don't let idle hands beat you down while you wait for the email or phone call.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I no longer hate my job because I no longer have to deal with it ... 2020 was my first full year as a retiree ... and I have no regrets leaving it behind me

I know that is different for many people ... some of my former co-workers have no intention of ever retiring, which I don't get ... I had almost 35 years in and felt I had done my duty ... I highly recommend it for everyone who is able to do so when they can rather than extending time in their working hell for a few extra annuity bucks

I retired as soon as I met the time in service and age requirements and left with a smile on my face ... still smiling
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Congrats Boris!! Out of necessity (helping 3 kids through college), I have about 10 more yrs to go. It is the time of my life I should be getting out of debt, but unfortunately I am more in debt now than ever. Sucks that the kids come out of college so much debt as well. I will probably be in my late 60s before I can walk away from this shit.
Xee
Site Admin

UOK wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:48 am Just keep applying, man. There's positions out there. I've found that listings on places like Monster/etc are often mediocre-to-scant in terms of being updated. You may have more luck going institution-by-institution and checking their careers page. I'm currently interviewing for another IT job myself, but more for use as a bargaining chip to get a raise at my current gig. I only found that opportunity because a few contacts notified my wife, and it was buried on their careers page.

Don't give up, and don't despair. In the interim try to cultivate as many demonstrations of your ability as possible, archive them all, and update the resume religiously. Put together an online portfolio, even. Don't let idle hands beat you down while you wait for the email or phone call.
Oh yeah, I know it's just a numbers game. It seems it's pretty common to hit 300+ applications before you land something.

As for the job search, they gave us a lot of training and coaching on how to approach it. I previously logged in to my LinkedIn account maybe a few times a year when I was working but apparently that's where you'll find the majority of job postings and that's what recruiters use to find candidates. Because of this, along with resume reviews we had a few iterations of LinkedIn portfolio reviews as well where I learned a ton; I had no idea there was so much you need to do besides just list your previous work history.

Regarding filling the time while I'm looking, I've drew up a schedule over the weekend for myself and plan on "working" the same amount of hours as I did in bootcamp, practicing algorithms/data structures, working on side projects, networking, etc. Pretty much am making find a job a full-time job.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

My job has been reallyfucking ridiculous lately. We have a lot of bullshit going on in the world, but all that aside.

A boss put a lot of people in an extremely unsafe position. So he was chastised by a few of us on text messages. He was also told very directly in person about him being terrible. His stupidity could have got people killed. Plus hes really bad at his job in general. Dumb and incompetent are a bad combo.

Naturally us laughing about it later via text messages is the problem. Somehow our chat got to the administration. So he can fuck up but it's the line Joe's that will get fucked.

I love my actual job duties. The administration stressors though have me contemplating moving.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:26 pm Dumb and incompetent are a bad combo.
Especially in your line of work.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:20 am
mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:26 pm Dumb and incompetent are a bad combo.
Yeah unfortunately it's not uncommon. Most departments have the same administration problems. Its different from a lot of jobs. It's hard to explain without a novel. If you said your boss was a crayon eater would you expect days off?
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:01 pm
wab wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:20 am

Yeah unfortunately it's not uncommon. Most departments have the same administration problems. Its different from a lot of jobs. It's hard to explain without a novel. If you said your boss was a crayon eater would you expect days off?
If my boss was a former marine... maybe.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

He was that's the joke. I make fun of him all the time for it. The real shame is he could have really gotten people hurt. However in order to justify the ivory tower he wont be addressed.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well I'm going to add another contribution. Just got talked to for probably saving a womans life the other day. By talked to I mean my boss argued with me about why I would risk my life to save a possible hostage. It wasnt heroic nothing movie like.

I told him that's kind of our job. He chastized me. I told him that I get it, he is new, but I'm kind of the subject matter expert on this type of thing. Like I literally teach it, and every major scene I'm essentially the boss including this one. He told me he wouldn't let me do it again. I laughed and told him he is not able to stop me, and he is wrong.

My new bosses are so dumb and scared. I literally have watched them hide behind people with their eyes closed like little kids. Its making my job very difficult lately.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I feel for you man. When superiors are stupid as shit and don't know what the hell they are doing......frustrating.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:24 pm I feel for you man. When superiors are stupid as shit and don't know what the hell they are doing......frustrating.
Truth.

I've been there too. People just ingrained in the same job for 30 years. They know the owner. They worked with the CEO 15 years ago. All that crap.

It just sucks balls. No way around it.

I cope with it all by not making my job my primary interest in life. Gotta have other interests and things that stimulate you.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

This thread has produced some laughs and a lot of head nodding agreement from me.

I am in gov’t and high enough now that I would be considered an administrator. 150+ employees below me with various levels of supervision in there. My golden rule is just do the job you are being paid to do, my job is to make it easier if possible. If they need equipment, materials, whatever I go after it, I talk to them about what is and isn’t working and pursue changes for the better.

But, I think I took one promotion too many as I seriously loved my last position and group. Now I just get everyone’s problems and they expect a magic wand cure. Seriously I just want to tell certain personnel to stop being a douche if you want people to like you and work with you. Poor supervisors that can’t deal with personnel issues and then want the quick cure is probably the worst and takes most of my time in coaching them in how to discuss, document, coach, train and manage personnel along with trying to get them to see how they are perceived by their own personnel. Stop and listen seems a foreign concept to many these days.

I have found you can manage 15 or 150 people, and a select few (very few) will eat all your time.

21 years in, at least 11 to go. I pray for patience every day.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

@southdakotabearfan

My experience in government. Generally those who are good leaders promote to the area they feel they get the best return. They have actual influence and get some value in production. Its generally bad leaders who try to promote to the top.

I group leaders in to 4 categories. Most people have 2 of these categorical attributes. Natural leader, learned leader, politically motivated, individually motivated. The problem with a lot of gov is the individual and political and up koving the highest.

Like for me, I could have been promoted a long time ago, but I love having a direct influence on incidents, to hopefully keep them for going to shit. If promoted I have to go to an area where I have little return as I cant do that.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have had a few opportunities to advance as well, but have declined. I did not necessarily want to have to learn all the ins and outs of the adult probation, adult interstate procedure, have to meet with all the other supervisors, most who I cannot stand and then put up with all the bullshit from co-workers.

Supervisors/ leaders need good soldiers. I am a good soldier and prefer it this way. I want to try and make the supervisor's job as stress free as possible. What generally happens, those promoted to supervisor do not know jack about juvenile probation. I can kind of be on my own this way as well.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:59 pm I have had a few opportunities to advance as well, but have declined. I did not necessarily want to have to learn all the ins and outs of the adult probation, adult interstate procedure, have to meet with all the other supervisors, most who I cannot stand and then put up with all the bullshit from co-workers.

Supervisors/ leaders need good soldiers. I am a good soldier and prefer it this way. I want to try and make the supervisor's job as stress free as possible. What generally happens, those promoted to supervisor do not know jack about juvenile probation. I can kind of be on my own this way as well.
Don't ever feel weird about declining the advancement opportunities Otis. I've done the same thing.

I'm not hurting. I can do my thing just fine.

I've seen the boss's job and I don't want it. It's 4:30 and I can pack up my shit and leave. If I work extra I work extra whatever you know what I'm saying. But at the same time I've seen what the boss's job does to the boss. I've seen it multiple times.

I've had bosses where even though they make 1.2x what I make they get collection calls at their desk about their mortgage or credit card. The tires on the $50K SUV need replacing and they don't have $1K for it. But yeah they sure do go to Disney World though.

Their marriage sucks. They're aren't doing it anymore. They sit around and complain about everything. Stressed to the max. They have a picture of their kid on their desk but not their spouse. They get overly paranoid about the littlest thing but then these big ideas just fly right over their head. I have no idea how these people live past 50.

My experience has been corporate based and it's been a disaster. I don't know if you ever "see it all", but I've seen a lot. Nepotism, racism, reverse racism, the golden hire from the boss's other job that can do no wrong. People getting promoted that can barely eat soup without getting it on their shirt. It's all bullshit and about being at the right place at the right time and who you know. I'm glad I can do my job and go home.

This thread has an odd Breakfast Club therapeutic value to it.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:08 am This thread has an odd Breakfast Club therapeutic value to it.
It really does.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:59 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:08 am This thread has an odd Breakfast Club therapeutic value to it.
It really does.
Yep
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Had a Detention Hearing to sit in on last week. The juvenile has been a one person crime spree, multiple shootings into homes and cars. Thank goodness no one was hit. At the hearing the State's Attorney was questioning a detective about an offense that happened on May 21. One of the other offenses took place in April.

At the conclusion of the hearing, the kid was being returned to detention, I went up to the State's Atty and informed him the kid could not have committed the May 21 offense. The SA asked why not. I told him the kid has been locked up since May 2!!!!!!!!! I can't believe the kid's PD didn't pick up on that either.

The SA realizes he just put the wrong date down in the petition. It still has not been changed.
Xee
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:20 pm Had a Detention Hearing to sit in on last week. The juvenile has been a one person crime spree, multiple shootings into homes and cars. Thank goodness no one was hit. At the hearing the State's Attorney was questioning a detective about an offense that happened on May 21. One of the other offenses took place in April.

At the conclusion of the hearing, the kid was being returned to detention, I went up to the State's Atty and informed him the kid could not have committed the May 21 offense. The SA asked why not. I told him the kid has been locked up since May 2!!!!!!!!! I can't believe the kid's PD didn't pick up on that either.

The SA realizes he just put the wrong date down in the petition. It still has not been changed.
Man, I'm guessing the public defender had a ton of other cases but that's still hard to believe. Just curious, in your experience, what's your opinion of the quality of representation by a public defender vs an expensive lawyer?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Our county has some pretty damn good PDs. There have been some instances, multiple co-defendants, where the PDs have gotten their client off and the high paid attorneys have sucked. Unfortunately the best PD just left for another county. He was a young guy and very good. He put the time and effort in and didn't wait until the day of court to see his clients. He was a regular visitor to the detention home.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So was the date just wrong as it actually happened april 21st, or where they just completely wrong and he wasnt there?

Public defenders vs paid attorneys really can be a wash. PD normally know the system they are working better. Think of it like knowing the pool table. Paid attorneys cam be crap shoots.
A good paid attorney though is the best option. They are assholes and fight every point no matter how mute it is. They are stealing your money but they do argue ever point.

I rarely go to court. A recent OWI is with a paid good attorney. They argued competency which is insane. They argued the stop, which was 20 mph over speed limit. They argued not having suspicion of alcohol consumption. Even though he had puke on his door. They try everything.

Now ADAs are a bigger shit show then any of them. Some a good. A lot are college grads with no experience. Atleast here
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It was actually the wrong date on the petition. He was definately the shooter, he was IDed by someone that knew him and the guy he was with actually told the "target" that the kid was the shooter.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

My job the last few months has been a literal fucking grind. I know lots of different jobs are in the same boat. From mechanics to accountants, janitors to nurses. Low staffing levels are killing us.

My job we cant hire, and train enough people to keep our heads above water. We had a bunch of overtime previously. But now its every day, not counting the end of shift late reports overtime. The only way to take a day off is to sick up, which fucks your buddies. And my department is taking on additional spots for other municipalities because they dont have the personel.

I know every profession is going through it. 2 Starbucks cant hire people. 1 closed, the other closes before 4. Staffing issues. In the city I'm referring too, there use to be 3 of them shitholes. It's crazy. I cant wait until snow fall when they realize they dont have enough plow drivers.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:51 am My job the last few months has been a literal fucking grind. I know lots of different jobs are in the same boat. From mechanics to accountants, janitors to nurses. Low staffing levels are killing us.

My job we cant hire, and train enough people to keep our heads above water. We had a bunch of overtime previously. But now its every day, not counting the end of shift late reports overtime. The only way to take a day off is to sick up, which fucks your buddies. And my department is taking on additional spots for other municipalities because they dont have the personel.

I know every profession is going through it. 2 Starbucks cant hire people. 1 closed, the other closes before 4. Staffing issues. In the city I'm referring too, there use to be 3 of them shitholes. It's crazy. I cant wait until snow fall when they realize they dont have enough plow drivers.
Maybe people will appreciate the public service sector more if that happens.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Maybe it's my jaded outlook but I doubt it. There will be anger for sure. Its anger like that of an old man yelling at the sky.

I should say I dont know if there will be a shortage in plow drivers but local governments have been struggling to find people in multiple positions.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

What do you attribute the labor shortage too?

This issue is everywhere except for people with YouTube channels.

Baby Boomer retirements are a huge issue. Especially people on the fringe of retirement that are just like fuck it.

We've had 700K people die of Covid, but of that like 150K-160K were working age so that's not really driving it.

The increased unemployment benefits played a role, but didn't those stop?

Gen Z wants to work in tech somehow. Anything not related to that is going to suffer.