Rd 2, P39: Teven Jenkins, OT - OK State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

MACKSMACK
Practice Squad

I'm pretty stoked that we got Jenkins!!!
NYer that fell in love with Sweetness destroying defenders with that legendary stiff arm @ 8 yrs old. I'll never forget those early days and now, after many many years we have some integral players that'll be the key to success in the very near future.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

People are on discord. I think we are all waiting on uok to make a thread for Jenkins. People are likely hammered.
Johnny Bollocks
Journeyman

What did we give up?
MACKSMACK
Practice Squad

from what i can tell, our 2nd, 3rd and a 6th for 39 and a 5th
NYer that fell in love with Sweetness destroying defenders with that legendary stiff arm @ 8 yrs old. I'll never forget those early days and now, after many many years we have some integral players that'll be the key to success in the very near future.
wab
Mod

Is this real life?
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Getting Justin Fields and Tevin Jenkins in the same draft is impressive because it’s not something I could have even imagined being a possibility just yesterday.
UOK
Site Admin

I’m at Menards! We got Jenkins??!!! Holy crap!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

HHHHHEEEEEELLLLLL YYYYYEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!

wab this is not the real world. What the f*ck is going on?
cblaz11
MVP

For the record....I’m hammered
UOK
Site Admin

Scouting/etc incoming.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I've never felt like this for a Bears draft. Never never. This. Is. Awesome.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:42 pm I've never felt like this for a Bears draft. Never never. This. Is. Awesome.
+1
wulfy
MVP

I don't really know how to act. Confused? Bewildered?

WE DON'T DRAFT LIKE THIS!!!

Pace can poop on a paper plate for the rest of the weekend and it's the best Bears draft in the last 10 years.
UOK
Site Admin

The last time I liked a draft class this much was 2011, with Carimi, Paea, Conte, and Enderle. Shows what I know, but this is different. These two guys are fucking aces.
IE
Hall of Famer

Jenkins is a beast. Jimbo Covert with a bad attitude. I kind of think they're going to try him on the left, knowing he can play the right. Or *should*. And then that will help them figure out what they need to do next year.

Pretty badass results so far. Having a 2nd, 3rd, 5+ and maybe some additions next year is fine. '20 was actually pretty good for Pace with no first rounder.

There have been some really good drafts... but I don't remember being so pleased. These are the kind of offensive picks that can turn an offense from incredible to... highly credible.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Here is what Brett Kollmann has to say about Jenkins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1jlLUWjwDo&t=137s

The Readers Digest version is, he's a TOP 20 pick, a bad MF'er with flawless technique, and a streak of extreme nastiness.
Last edited by Bears Whiskey Nut on Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I like the Jenkins pick.

I do have a few concerns -- he comes up out of his stance high a lot, and that's going to pose problems against outside speed; he's not especially long, which will require better hand placement and fundamentals; and Dane Brugler mentioned on Robert Mays' podcast last night that some off-field "unflattering stuff" came out about Jenkins (he did not elaborate, and I haven't been able to find any specifics, but Dane doesn't typically say something like that if there's nothing there).

The first makes me worry he's a guard, not a tackle, but I think you definitely have to try him outside first. The second is likely addressed by Juan Castillo, who's a good coach, as long as Jenkins is willing to be coached. And the last could be something, but could also be nothing, so I'll reserve judgment on that for the moment.

He's bright, versatile (has starts at LG and both tackles, and snaps at RG), and appears to be dedicated to the game. I'd bet the Bears found Arlington Hambright last year while scouting Jenkins.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:11 pm I like the Jenkins pick.

I do have a few concerns -- he comes up out of his stance high a lot, and that's going to pose problems against outside speed; he's not especially long, which will require better hand placement and fundamentals; and Dane Brugler mentioned on Robert Mays' podcast last night that some off-field "unflattering stuff" came out about Jenkins (he did not elaborate, and I haven't been able to find any specifics, but Dane doesn't typically say something like that if there's nothing there).

The first makes me worry he's a guard, not a tackle, but I think you definitely have to try him outside first. The second is likely addressed by Juan Castillo, who's a good coach, as long as Jenkins is willing to be coached. And the last could be something, but could also be nothing, so I'll reserve judgment on that for the moment.

He's bright, versatile (has starts at LG and both tackles, and snaps at RG), and appears to be dedicated to the game. I'd bet the Bears found Arlington Hambright last year while scouting Jenkins.
Watch Brett Kollmann's analysis of Jenkins. A lot of his coming up high in his stance is to set-up edge rushers for a trap technique. Kollmann does a great job of breaking down that part of his game.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:11 pm Here is what Brett Kollmann has to say about Jenkins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1jlLUWjwDo&t=137s

The Readers Digest version is, he's a TOP 20 pick, a bad MF'er with flawless technique, and a streak of extreme nastiness.
Bryan Bulaga with Rabies :lol:
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Brandon Thorne had his as OT2 and I like his analysis. He’s a beast and I’m excited to have him on the bears.

This is an amazing draft
xyt in the discord chats
thunderspirit
Head Coach

IE wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:10 pmPretty badass results so far. Having a 2nd, 3rd, 5+ and maybe some additions next year is fine. '20 was actually pretty good for Pace with no first rounder.

There have been some really good drafts... but I don't remember being so pleased. These are the kind of offensive picks that can turn an offense from incredible to... highly credible.
Yeah, I was a big fan of the 2020 draft -- was thrilled with Johnson and pleased with Kmet. Vildor was my only head-scratcher, but Gipson and Mooney made up for him in my mind. (Now if Gipson would show something this coming season, LOL...)

Fields and Jenkins in 2021 is basically a pair of first-rounders. It's hard to complain about that.
KFFL refugee.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:14 pmWatch Brett Kollmann's analysis of Jenkins. A lot of his coming up high in his stance is to set-up edge rushers for a trap technique. Kollmann does a great job of breaking down that part of his game.
I did watch it. It's pretty good.
The Cooler King wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:25 pmBryan Bulaga with Rabies :lol:
That made me laugh too.

I'll reiterate: I like the Jenkins pick. He has some work to do, but then all of these guys do.

Here's what Dane Brugler had to say about Jenkins, what Ourlads says, and what National Draft Bible says.
KFFL refugee.

Wounded Bear
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:42 pm I've never felt like this for a Bears draft. Never never. This. Is. Awesome.
I haven’t felt this good since the time we drafted Rex Grossman and Michael Haynes in the first round. So I’m an idiot.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
docc
Head Coach

Being a Bears fan for 6 decades+..I fully expect to wake up and find it was just a drunk dream..
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:41 am
I haven’t felt this good since the time we drafted Rex Grossman and Michael Haynes in the first round. So I’m an idiot.
Man everyone thought that draft was good.
dave99
Assistant Coach

Pace could spend the rest the day getting drunk and throwing darts at random names and still have the best Bears draft since 83. Or maybe ever.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

This feeling of “having asked Charlize Theron out and saying yes” could not escape me all day yesterday. I couldn’t sit still, so I headed out to the bar again to eat. All I could talk about was how in love I am with what the Bears did in the draft to grab Justin Fields. Then I look up to the screen and see the Teven Jenkins pick. Holy shit I ended up getting bombed again.

I have a new mancrush: Ryan Pace.
wulfy
MVP

wiNDycityfan wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:16 am This feeling of “having asked Charlize Theron out and saying yes” could not escape me all day yesterday. I couldn’t sit still, so I headed out to the bar again to eat. All I could talk about was how in love I am with what the Bears did in the draft to grab Justin Fields. Then I look up to the screen and see the Teven Jenkins pick. Holy shit I ended up getting bombed again.

I have a new mancrush: Ryan Pace.
This is a fantastic post!
Z Bear
MVP

It is pretty fun how people's feeling about Pace changed over the last 48 hours.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:31 am It is pretty fun how people's feeling about Pace changed over the last 48 hours.
It is interesting. Mine hasn't at all.

I wonder what the character concerns are for jenkins