double down at QB?

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I expect Pace to trade back and recoup some picks in the 4th or 5th. I'd love to see him get a 4th this year and next such that the trade would basically be 20 and next years 1st.

If he is able to do that, I'd love him to get another QB in the 6th. If we get a QB there they are likely bound for the practice squad. The only way we carry 3 QBs is if Foles is still on the roster at the start of the season.

There are a few guys that could be decent backups down the road. If they do that, I think they need to get a guy that has the same style of play as Fields. To me that guy would be Franks.

What's everyone's pulse on doubling up at QB and if so who should we be targeting??
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I don't see it.

Such reduced draft capital leaves you really needing attention in other places.
Maybe you can pair up 2R6s to get back into 5?

However, Franks is one of the 2 late guys that I'd (theoretically) spend a pick on. And some similarity makes sense, I suppose.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Generally speaking, I wouldn't, no. There are exceptions, of course. A whole lot would depend on who is still available -- let's say Mond was somehow available in the 6th, then yeah -- but this is such a weird year and I'll bet the guys you'd ordinarily take a flyer on are going to end up UDFAs. I'd rather spend those late Day 3 picks on height/weight/speed prospects. (SMU's Brandon Stephens, Georgia Tech's Jalen Camp, UMass' Larnel Coleman, Pitt's Jason Pinnock, that sort of guy.)

Put another way: I'm an advocate of drafting a QB regularly -- maybe every year, and at the least every other year -- but I'm not an advocate of making up for the lack of doing so in 2018-2020 this year. :D
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't mimd that last 6th on a guy if you like him. Yes it's almost certainly just a Practice Squad guy, but it's like your advance on UDFA. So worth the swing especially since you have 3 other 6ths to pick up depth guys.

Dalton and Foles are probably gone in 2022 and I'd be fine with a total rookie pool QB room starting in 2022. So grab that promising backup.
karhu
Head Coach

I love the idea of having a full QB room, and a detailed plan to develop a couple of QBs at a time. But this might be the year to focus just on Fields and whoozitz. Next year, sure, start adding a late-round guy each year to develop or flip.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I could more see a doubling down at OT.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
docc
Head Coach

nope..more OL please..maybe WR
EricTighe
MVP

Starting to see the upside in drafting some damn athletes and hope they blossom.

WR Simi Fehoko
MLB Nieman

These are athletic freaks that could blossom or bust but who care take a shot in round 6
EricTighe
MVP

one gone
EricTighe
MVP

nevermind both are gone