Rd 1, P11: Justin Fields, QB - Ohio State

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:02 pm So we basically got Watson for about a fifth of what we would have had to give up for Watson, also Fields doesn't rape???

I can't figure out how this is not a win.
If he's as good as Watson, of course it's a win. This a big if tho, history says half these 1st round QB's will suck. But goddamnit we are DUE....like, a hundred years OVER DUE. It's our time to hit big and I have a feeling Fields is gonna be a great one.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:01 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:39 am
But let’s not rush the guy out there and break his confidence. We’ve got a legit chance at a franchise QB. Much more so than when Mitch Slap happened.
I hate this line of thinking. If a guy can get his confidence crushed, you simply don't have a star QB. Every star QB has a short memory and ultra competitive, bordering on unhealthy, drive. The stars, they're not like us.

Now there may still be some benefit to letting him sit. He could clean up some mechanics a bit. He can get comfortable with the playbook. But I'm not worried about ruining confidence.
This 1000% man. It's just so wrong. If their confidence is "broken" by having some rookie struggles, then they were not going to be great to begin with. Mental toughness is a critical element to success. I'm not even sure I want him starting Week 1 as I like Dalton and I want to win games - I just don't like this line of thinking.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

It happens every year. The guy that gets raves during the season but somehow gets knocked down by draft "experts" in the months before the draft. This is going to work out for the Bears as they just may have drafted the best overall QB of the '21 class.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:17 pm It happens every year. The guy that gets raves during the season but somehow gets knocked down by draft "experts" in the months before the draft. This is going to work out for the Bears as they just may have drafted the best overall QB of the '21 class.
The Football Outsiders article said they think he's in the top 5 QB prospects in the past 10 years. It just so happens that he's in the same year as one higher guy. Or maybe two? So who else would that be?

- Mahomes
- Watson
- Lawrence

Then...

Herbert? Allen? Murray? Baker? Burrow? Wilson?

Regardless, he's in that stratosphere according to them. High praise.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:33 pm
Grizzled wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:17 pm It happens every year. The guy that gets raves during the season but somehow gets knocked down by draft "experts" in the months before the draft. This is going to work out for the Bears as they just may have drafted the best overall QB of the '21 class.
The Football Outsiders article said they think he's in the top 5 QB prospects in the past 10 years. It just so happens that he's in the same year as one higher guy. Or maybe two? So who else would that be?

- Mahomes
- Watson
- Lawrence

Then...

Did they list Mahomes and Watson in the article? I thought that year they kept saying it wasn't a great draft for QBs and experts had Watson/Mahomes/Trubisky all ranked similar?

Andrew Luck would be one, drafted in 2012. He was widely considered the best prospect since Peyton. RG3 was also highly touted and could maybe be another? Then Lawrence and Fields. No clue who the 5th would be.
UOK
Site Admin

IE
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:47 pm
IE wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:33 pm

- Mahomes
- Watson
- Lawrence

Then...

Did they list Mahomes and Watson in the article? I thought that year they kept saying it wasn't a great draft for QBs and experts had Watson/Mahomes/Trubisky all ranked similar?

Andrew Luck would be one, drafted in 2012. He was widely considered the best prospect since Peyton. RG3 was also highly touted and could maybe be another? Then Lawrence and Fields. No clue who the 5th would be.
There's room for Luck there of course. Forgot him. They didn't name names. Probably because the point was they thought Fields was in that tranche.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

PFF's assessment of the Fields pick:
The Bears underwhelmed when they settled for Andy Dalton earlier in the offseason, but they redressed the situation with an aggressive move for Justin Fields, the No. 3 player on PFF’s Big Board. Fields has special talent and three straight seasons with a 90.0-plus PFF grade. His ceiling is as high as any passer in this draft, and he’s a real threat in the run game.

Pick Grade: Elite
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

I can't find the tweet right now - but one of the analysts covering the draft for the NFL Network said they had reached out to scouts from 16 teams and half of those scouts said they had Fields rated as QB1 in this draft.

We just got arguably the top rated QB in this draft - and top 3 rated QB in the last 5 drafts at 11. And all we had to give up was one future firsts and a couple of lat6e round picks. Holy Shit.

Not sure what to do at this point.

Training camp should be ridiculous.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
IotaNet
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:43 amHoly Shit.

As an expatriate Chicagoan, I have to bring up another angle. From everything I'm reading/watching, with everything (non-sports-related) going on, the city could USE some good news. I've heard it said that the Bears are the only sports team that completely unifies Chicago and I'll bet it's BUZZING everywhere down there right now.

I'll also bet that there is also increased excitement about attending games -- especially with the hope that this season might represent a return to (semi) normal for fans. I assume that Soldier Field has been historically sold out with regards to season tickets but I'll bet the waiting list is going to get longer.

It's a good weekend to be a Bears fan.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:43 am I can't find the tweet right now - but one of the analysts covering the draft for the NFL Network said they had reached out to scouts from 16 teams and half of those scouts said they had Fields rated as QB1 in this draft.

We just got arguably the top rated QB in this draft - and top 3 rated QB in the last 5 drafts at 11. And all we had to give up was one future firsts and a couple of lat6e round picks. Holy Shit.

https://twitter.com/DaBearNecess/status ... 7823409156
KFFL refugee.

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I can't get over how goddamn excited I am about this pick. I've never felt like this about a Bears pick. Never. Is it training camp yet?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:06 pm I can't get over how goddamn excited I am about this pick. I've never felt like this about a Bears pick. Never. Is it training camp yet?
Maybe Urlacher. I was a big fan.

Might be recency bias, but this feels bigger.
KFFL refugee.

grendel2000
Journeyman

thunderspirit wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:13 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:06 pm I can't get over how goddamn excited I am about this pick. I've never felt like this about a Bears pick. Never. Is it training camp yet?
Maybe Urlacher. I was a big fan.

Might be recency bias, but this feels bigger.
Agreed - this feels bigger.

I still remember that draft like it was yesterday. Crazy that it's been 21 years!
WP.1
Player of the Month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTfTwJeQxhI

Ryan Day & Justin Fields

so far of 2019 1/2 into game tape.
finally this is a real running threat.
and of few QB passing fails, 4x times the very next play Fields with great throw/response.
WP.1
Player of the Month

if Pick 32. was not enough of a joke.

C. Simms Top 6 final (K. Mond included)
6. Fields

arm strength: 5. Fields
mechanics: 6. Fields
decision making: 6. Fields
athleticism: 1. Fields
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

WP.1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:41 am if Pick 32. was not enough of a joke.

C. Simms Top 6 final (K. Mond included)
6. Fields

arm strength: 5. Fields
mechanics: 6. Fields
decision making: 6. Fields
athleticism: 1. Fields
lol. You'd think he went to Michigan with rankings like that for Fields. At least he couldn't deny the athleticism rank.
Stay_Cool
MVP

I haven't been this excited in a long time
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
docc
Head Coach

Cause you're staying. Cool !
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

This is just the cherry on the top...
The Vikings were eager to pick Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields, ESPN reported, but the Bears traded with the Giants to swoop in and take him at No. 11.

“The Vikings were stunned, and this one really stung,” ESPN reported. “They wanted one of the top quarterbacks, but they weren’t desperate enough to give up that kind of draft capital for a player who would be sitting behind Cousins for at least a year.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... usins-pick
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:04 pm This is just the cherry on the top...
The Vikings were eager to pick Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields, ESPN reported, but the Bears traded with the Giants to swoop in and take him at No. 11.

“The Vikings were stunned, and this one really stung,” ESPN reported. “They wanted one of the top quarterbacks, but they weren’t desperate enough to give up that kind of draft capital for a player who would be sitting behind Cousins for at least a year.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021 ... usins-pick
Just read that also. I didn't think taking Fields could get any better but grabbing him out of the grasp of the team I detest the most (even more than the Pack) is icing on the cake. If Rogers retires, talk about an off-season!
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'm still kind of in shock that this happened ... and I admit, when the ticker came across the screen that the Bears had just traded up from 20 to 11, my first thought was "what dumbass maneuver are they going to do this time?"

much to my surprise (and I am sure to the surprise of many others), they did a good thing ... a VERY good thing ... and once I got over my shocked surprise, I was giddy like a kid at Christmas
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Guess we know why Ridley is still on the team then. :lol:
KFFL refugee.

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

If he can find Ridley for a TD, he can find anybody. Ridley has been about as present as the missing link.

I'll have you know that my kid and I are responsible for the Fields pick. Before the Trubisky draft, we gathered all of our old Bear QB jerseys and burned them in a ritual to the football Gods to relieve us of our curse. Unfortunately, it didn't take, and I later found out why. I discovered an errant Grossman jersey stuck way in the back of my closet. We burned it early Thursday.

So while you can blame us for Trubisky, you have to credit us for Fields. ;)
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I have a Biscuit jersey burning scheduled for this weekend.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:30 pm I'm still kind of in shock that this happened ... and I admit, when the ticker came across the screen that the Bears had just traded up from 20 to 11, my first thought was "what dumbass maneuver are they going to do this time?"
I was on the phone with my dad and told him if the bears take mac jones over fields i'm done with football.
G08
Hall of Famer

Jesus fucking Christ -- That's 50 yards on a ROPE
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

G08
Hall of Famer

I can't believe we landed this kid.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS