Rd 7, P250: Khyiris Tonga, DL - BYU

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Good idea to grab a cheap run stuffer so they don’t have to sign a vet. If he sticks it’d save $1-2m
xyt in the discord chats
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Seems like won on size a lot. He'll probably have to develop a little more technique in the NFL. But as a 7th rounder, can't really complain.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:25 pm Good idea to grab a cheap run stuffer so they don’t have to sign a vet. If he sticks it’d save $1-2m
Not to mention how the run defense looked without Eddie Goldman. Tonga isn't likely to do much beyond plug the middle if he gets on the field, but that would have the added bonus of being able to keep Bilal Nichols at five-tech. (The really amazing thing is, Tonga's only two and a half years younger than Goldman is. LOL)

Here's what Dane Brugler, National Draft Bible, and Ourlads have to say about Khyiris Tonga.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
aussiebear99
Practice Squad

Value pick, as he's large enough to be two normal humans ..
UOK
Site Admin

Love it. I don't know if he'll do shit in the NFL, but his highlights intrigued.
docc
Head Coach

He has the extra SIZE..strength..learn some technique..and a human wall..
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He looks sorta fast in the highlights. His 20 yard split is good (72%ile) - I wonder if he gets tired and slows down before he’s gotten to 40 (44%ile) haha

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/khyiris-tonga
xyt in the discord chats
thunderspirit
Head Coach

PFF's assessment of the Khyiris Tonga pick:
A good pick for the Bears — Tonga is a player who shows some really good reps on tape but not quite enough of them. If he can play more consistently, he could be a starter in the NFL.

Pick Grade: Above Average
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

UOK wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:51 pm
Consistency needs to be more the name of his game. ⬆️This video show more power moves, and him moving people. The highlights in the Bears video shows more quickness tackles, and footwork.

Put it together, I can for sure see him backing up EG.
dave99
Assistant Coach

From the Huddle Report:
STRENGTHS
Khyiris athletic talent and unique in the box quickness, is very rare for a reported 6’ 4” 340 LB, Defensive Lineman. His ability to affect passing plays and shut down the running game between the line of scrimmage is impacting. When Khyiris gets lose on passing downs and comes directly up the middle, it’s like watching a solar eclipse slowly engulf the quarterback. Khyiris doesn’t stop all game long, he is relentless either pushing the pocket or shutting down the run or taking on the double team so the linebackers can run free to the play. Khyiris doesn’t just stop at the hash marks. He easily goes down the line, stringing out sweeps, not allowing to be pushed off the line, and once again allowing for linebackers to clean up. He is so athletic that BYU uses him at 340 lbs, as a fullback on the goal line! Think about that if you’re a linebacker who weighs 100 lbs less, trying to be stout against the run for your defense. I believe teams will not have a dominating defense unless they have a Defensive Tackle or Nose Tackle who does all the grunt work of pushing the pocket and shutting down the run and demanding double teams. That’s why I call him Khyiris (Grunt) Tonga.

CONCERNS
He might be able to push the pocket but unless you are in his path, sacks will not come often. Once you get 340 lbs moving in one direction it’s pretty hard to change direction laterally. Also, stamina is always an issue with the big Defensive lineman so how teams value rotating lineman, differs from team to team and that will affect his draft status.

BOTTOM LINE 1.83
I’m not here to tell you where a player is going to be selected in a draft. I’m here to give you my opinion of his impact and talent and where I might select a player in the draft. I value excellent Nose Tackles higher than others because I believe unless you stuff the run and push the pocket and demand through your play, to be double teamed so that the pass rushes and can be singled up on the outside and not double-teamed, that you will not have a dominating defense. That’s just what I believe. I believe that if an offensive coordinator can double team an impact pass rusher, then that edge rusher will not be effective but if you have to double team a nose tackle on passing downs because they are so disruptive than your pass rushers are single up or your offense running backs have to stay in and block and that means your quarterback has fewer options and will have to hold on to the ball longer and then, guess what that does for a defense…sacks. Khyiris reminds me a lot of former Bears 1985 1st round pick, William (The Refrigerator) Perry, and I believe he will have the same impact.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:25 pm Good idea to grab a cheap run stuffer so they don’t have to sign a vet. If he sticks it’d save $1-2m
Yeah, excellent pick in round 7 if he sticks. stops the parade of john jenkins/nick williams dudes (or as thunder pointed out, playing other linemen out of position).
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

There's something about Samoan/South Pacific DT's that I love. I loved Paea for that reason too. They are just strong as hell and have a non-stop motor.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I have a very good feeling about Tonga ... I am confident he'll make the team and be solid in the DL rotation
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
SgtPerry
Journeyman

Round 7? Could be a very good surprise finally.
"Good thing you are a Bears fan. No offense to worry about."
UOK 10/26/2020
UOK
Site Admin

If you're 6'3" 320-pound monster who has displayed some notable attributes in your college career at the D1 level, I would think you'd go higher than the 7th round. I'm curious what occurred to get him to be available so late in the draft. Some people had him graded round TWO, others 3-5, and here is in the 7th? Hmm.

Some concerns I've read about online are:

- conditioning has been an issue, which makes sense, as he's a huge mofo
- plays high, which is a technique refinement thing
- 2018 back surgery
- is "old" for a rookie, at 25

So it seems like everything points to work ethic regarding his conditioning and weight, with maybe some concerns over age and mileage. The guy didn't play football until he was a HS senior, so I'm only worried about his longevity if he becomes a useless blob.

Great upside for a 7th rounder, IMHO. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets involved in the defensive rotation quite a bit this year with the depth chart the way it is and the extra game on the schedule.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:54 am If you're 6'3" 320-pound monster who has displayed some notable attributes in your college career at the D1 level, I would think you'd go higher than the 7th round. I'm curious what occurred to get him to be available so late in the draft. Some people had him graded round TWO, others 3-5, and here is in the 7th? Hmm.

Some concerns I've read about online are:

- conditioning has been an issue, which makes sense, as he's a huge mofo
- plays high, which is a technique refinement thing
- 2018 back surgery
- is "old" for a rookie, at 25

So it seems like everything points to work ethic regarding his conditioning and weight, with maybe some concerns over age and mileage. The guy didn't play football until he was a HS senior, so I'm only worried about his longevity if he becomes a useless blob.

Great upside for a 7th rounder, IMHO. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets involved in the defensive rotation quite a bit this year with the depth chart the way it is and the extra game on the schedule.
I would think technique is a lot. In the tape I've watched it seems like he's solely winning on size. He can't do that in the NFL. He may well be a year 1 practice squad guy.

And also it's just a less valuable role.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

This makes sense roster-wise.
With Jenkins gone, backup nose is open.
I picked guys like Shelton/Shelvin midround occasionally or Tonga/Jones/Neal late fairly often to fill that role.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

What did we trade to get R7 pick? A next year's R6?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:44 pm What did we trade to get R7 pick? A next year's R6?
https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2021/ ... ginia-tech
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP