Steaks

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Enough of this football shit. ;)

Let's talk about something important. Steaks.

What kind of steaks are your favorite? Where do you get them? How do you cook them? All that stuff.

I'm still trying to determine my favorite cut. Right now it's:

Cowboy Ribeye
Bone-in Prime Rib
Porterhouse

I've found that Mariano's has the best ones. To be honest, Walmart's aren't that bad.

I've always wanted to do a Tomahawk Ribeye, but I could never get my wife to agree to help me eat the other half. I finally got her to. So that's happening sooner rather than later. My wife likes the tenderloins and fillets the best.

I've finally settled on a cooking method that I use consistently now.

At least one hour before cooking I take the steaks out of the fridge and let them get to room temperature.

In a large 12" skillet, I put a tablespoon of olive oil in there and get the oven safe skillet really hot. I preheat the oven to 400.

I then apply the rub. Salt, black pepper, and Zatarain's Creole Seasoning. That creole seasoning is effing amazing and I put it on damn near every meat I cook now except for turkey. It's my secret weapon.

Once that skillet is hot as hell. I sear the steaks on each side. Only takes like a couple minutes per side.

I then put the steaks and the oven safe skillet into the oven. I set the timer for three minutes. I then just pull them out and check and serve them depending on medium, well done kind of thing.

With that rub, I serve the steaks dry. However, when I do use BBQ sauce I have found that Stubb's BBQ Sauce is the best. There are a few flavors of that. All of them are good.
UOK
Site Admin

There's a local butcher shop in town that has a shitload of great meat. We don't stock up as much as we should, but I do my best to make appearances.

I'm not any kind of special preparer of steaks, but I'm open to trying some stuff. Usually I just use Lowry's seasoning salt and grill until the color is right.
wab
Mod

Sous vide and sear is the way. You'll never have a more buttery tender steak in your life.
Z Bear
MVP

I like to buy the whole beef tenderloin and cut my own Filet Mignon. It is weird you can buy the whole tenderloin on sale for $8 bucks a pound but a cut filet will cost $18 a pound! I rub all my steaks with my BBQ rub (brown sugar, seasoning salt, ground mustard, onion powder, cayenne and black pepper). Sear one minute a side with the grill burners all the way up, then I turn off the middle burners and cook to temperature (medium rare). I use the same rub for anything I put in the smoker too,
wab
Mod

Z Bear wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:12 pm I like to buy the whole beef tenderloin and cut my own Filet Mignon. It is weird you can buy the whole tenderloin on sale for $8 bucks a pound but a cut filet will cost $18 a pound! I rub all my steaks with my BBQ rub (brown sugar, seasoning salt, ground mustard, onion powder, cayenne and black pepper). Sear one minute a side with the grill burners all the way up, then I turn off the middle burners and cook to temperature (medium rare). I use the same rub for anything I put in the smoker too,
I do this too.

I'm a straight up salt and pepper on the steak guy though. But when I sear, I use a little butter, garlic, and some aromatics...

Generally turns out pretty good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

My favorite cuts are ribeye and T-bone. I will have some NY Strips and Sirloin Strips as well, depends on how much I want to spend. A little salt or sea salt is all I use. Sear about 3 minutes a side on the grill the let them go another 4 minutes are so. let them sit about 5 minutes before eating to get some internal cooking going. Love having some nice crispy fries with my steak.
Xee
Site Admin

Grilling is something I definitely want to get better at. Growing up, my dad used a classic Weber charcoal grill that he always started using twigs/branches since we had a lot of trees in our backyard. So when my wife and I bought our house he gave us a Weber grill and a bag of charcoal as a housewarming gift.

It wasn't until I tried it for the first time that I realized it wasn't as easy as he made it look. Like, how much charcoal do you use, how long do you have to wait before you put something on it, how do you know when to flip, how do you know when it's done, etc?

I know all of that probably comes down to practice but we just don't grill that much so even though I'll read articles, watch Youtube tutorials, etc. all that knowledge goes out the window if I only grill a couple times a month.

Now that I think about, the best thing he could have done was involve me and my brothers in the actual grilling process so we could have learned. The only jobs he let us do on any project were the "hold the flashlight" type of jobs where whatever we were tasked with could probably have been achieved with an inanimate object.

Eh, got off on a tangent there. To get back on topic, for the newbie grillers, is there any cuts of stake the seasoned grillers here recommend for practicing without breaking the bank?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Sirloins you can usually get on sale at a good price. You know, a neighbor of mine always used a timer. 2-3 minutes, half turn to get the grill marks. 2-3 more minutes, flip the steak, cook 2-3 minutes. 1/2 turn 203 more minutes. Steaks always turned out great. If you want them more done, cook a little longer. I grill all year round. In the winter I put the grill on the back porch right outside the door. Chicken, pork rib eyes, burgers, dogs, brats, turkey and beef, doesn't taste any better.
Xee
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:21 pm Sirloins you can usually get on sale at a good price. You know, a neighbor of mine always used a timer. 2-3 minutes, half turn to get the grill marks. 2-3 more minutes, flip the steak, cook 2-3 minutes. 1/2 turn 203 more minutes. Steaks always turned out great. If you want them more done, cook a little longer. I grill all year round. In the winter I put the grill on the back porch right outside the door. Chicken, pork rib eyes, burgers, dogs, brats, turkey and beef, doesn't taste any better.
Thanks for the tips. Just curious, do you use charcoal or propane? It just seems there are so many variables you need to keep in mind when cooking with charcoal I've contemplated just buying a propane grill which I believe would simplify the process a lot. No more fiddling with vents, dividing charcoal into two different beds, having the charcoals die before you've finished grilling, etc.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I'll buy a whole top or bottom round and cut my own steaks.
I do enjoy using chuck for thick steaks/small roasts
Most of my ground meat is venison.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:38 pm
Otis Day wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:21 pm Sirloins you can usually get on sale at a good price. You know, a neighbor of mine always used a timer. 2-3 minutes, half turn to get the grill marks. 2-3 more minutes, flip the steak, cook 2-3 minutes. 1/2 turn 203 more minutes. Steaks always turned out great. If you want them more done, cook a little longer. I grill all year round. In the winter I put the grill on the back porch right outside the door. Chicken, pork rib eyes, burgers, dogs, brats, turkey and beef, doesn't taste any better.
Thanks for the tips. Just curious, do you use charcoal or propane? It just seems there are so many variables you need to keep in mind when cooking with charcoal I've contemplated just buying a propane grill which I believe would simplify the process a lot. No more fiddling with vents, dividing charcoal into two different beds, having the charcoals die before you've finished grilling, etc.
I use both. Usually after work I use propane, on weekends charcoal. I like the taste with charcoal better. Also, for me anyway, charcoal doesn't flame up nearly as much as gas. ABout 2 weeks ago, the steaks had been on awhile, I went inside to get something and came out and there was fire coming out of every orifice of the grill. Lucky it didn't catch my garage on fire. The bacon on the steaks must have been too fatty and the shit went up. Burned the hell out of my steak, singed the arm hairs also.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Switched to a pellet grill last year, but on high I can get 675 degrees out of it. Oklahoma Joe’s rider deluxe.

Ribeye is my favorite, lawrys or course salt, garlic powder, course pepper. Grill on high, 3-4 minutes per side gets to medium/medium rare depending on thickness of the steak.

Hickory or competition blend pellets.
wulfy
MVP

Costco has really good steaks - you'll have to throw some in the freezer as I think they come in portions of 6.

Ribeye (bone in is amazing) and filets are my favorite. I use this product called Char Crust that gives a blackening on the outside (they have several flavors, Hickory and Molasses is my favorite) and leaves it very moist and tender on the inside.

I have a Weber propane and a Weber charcoal ... the propane is best during the week as you can cook on it nearly immediately. But on the weekends, I prefer to fire up the charcoal grill.

Now I'm hungry.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i toyed with vegetarianism for awhile, for multiple reasons, but ultimately failed because meat is so damn good. So i've resolved to only eat locally sourced meat from farms I know are using best practices, and basically whatever we get at the farmer's market on saturdays has to last the week.
I usually gravitate towards skirts or flank steak, although when i'm feeling fancy I head towards Hangar Steaks, though they can be harder to find.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Ribeyes are my go to ... on the grill or pan fried, I can create some very edible steaks for myself and guests

as for spices, I use this stuff called Todd's Dirt ... found it from a vendor at a bbq festival a few years back (don't know if the vendor was actually Todd) ... it is a nice dry rub for beef or pork

I don't work for Todd's Dirt and have no affiliation other than being a satisfied customer

https://toddsdirt.com/
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

IE
Hall of Famer

I want to learn more about sous vide. I got one of those "food saver" things for Christmas that can wrap them... I just need to really understand the process, and of course get the device. I understand it really keeps the steaks from losing moisture, which is important of course. My trepidation is I'm a grill guy, so having any steak without lighting up the grill is like a completely different culture to me. Pan sear a steak instead of grilling? I know they do in restaurants, and I know it works well. But to me it is just "alien". I use my grill 4-5 days a week even in the deepest winter. So if I'm cooking indoors, where do I set my beer? Do I move my little speakers blasting classic country indoors? These are important questions.

I buy whole tenderloins as well, because you just can't beat the price break. You just have to be willing to put in the extra effort to trim properly. I can have all the kids here and serve 8 people giant filets for less than $10 a person... love it. I've never bought a whole rib rack to do that - but plan to.

I've been cutting back on steaks, so when I do get them as more of a treat they're usually massive porterhouses from a deli nearby. Their steaks aren't that great overall but for some reason they get amazing 1.5lb porterhouses.

For seasoning, I usually go pretty plain with salt/pepper. Also Montreal Steak Seasoning, which is really kind of just salt & pepper with an additional dusting of onions garlic and such. It's pretty good and doesn't overpower. But I do like black pepper a lot. @TMP - try Tony Chachere's for creole seasoning. In Louisiana it is their go-to. I put it on almost everything - but less frequently steak because steak flavor stands so well on its own. For heat I'm more inclined to use a tiny bit of Siracha while eating. Just personal taste.

I would never use BBQ or heavy sauces on steak unless I'm going for a certain kind of meal overall, like a southern-themed, Mexican or Asian. I do occasionally marinate steaks in fajita seasoning mix or my home-made teriyaki sauce (brown sugar, soy sauce, oil, garlic, pepper, a little cayenne). When I do, I use prime sirloin or regular strips from Costco. They're big & thick and no matter how much you marinate them it doesn't penetrate all the way into them and overpower the steak. Instead you get a nice quarter inch of charred, caramelized flavor on the edges with a great pure steak in the middle. These are very popular with the kids... especially the fajita ones, sliced thin still medium rare with the caramelized edges.

We eat our steaks medium rare-medium. So the steaks go on a 500 degree preheated grill (Webber gas) well preheated so the grates are hot for searing. Most steaks are done in 8 minutes (6 if they're thinner). I flip them 3 times so each side gets 25% of the sear twice in different directions for perfect grill marks (an aesthetic I like). They sit for 10 min after cooking so I make sure they're not overdone.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'm curious about the sous vide process as well ... seen videos but have never actually experienced the results of the process ... also, not sure if the results are worth having another seemingly large countertop appliance to buy

besides, I can't get my mind around how that can be better than grilling ... the whole process from starting the coals to plating the steaks is a very happy experience for me ... and for me, there is no other way to truly enjoy steak than the smoky goodness of grilling ... I do resort to pan frying at times when the weather is total shit, and one can make a good steak doing so ... but grilling is always my first choice
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I love a good grilled steak, but the sous vide method returns phenomenal results.

The wand isn't very big...like a large curling iron. And I just use a stock pot for the water bath.

It's so incredibly simple if you have a food saver. It's less consistent if you are trying to use freezer bags.

I try to get steaks that are an inch and a half to a full to inches in thickness.
- Salt and pepper generously
- Seal them in the bag

Get your water up to temp with the wand.

Rare
Water temp - 120 to 125
Length of time in the bath - 1 to 2 hours

Medium-rare
Water temp - 130 to 135
Length of time in the bath - 1 to 4 hours

Medium
Water temp - 135 to 145
Length of time in the bath - 1 to 4 hours

If you like your steak anything above medium, well I'm not helping you.

The beauty of sous vide is that the water temp remains stable, so it gives you a wide variance of how long you can leave it in the bath without it continuing to cook above the desired temp. Theoretically you can leave it in at 125 for days if you want, and it will still be rare to medium rare when it comes out...although the tissues will begin to break down at some point and change the texture.

Anyway... I like my steaks a little on the rare side, so I usually get it up to 120 or so.
- place sealed bag in water and walk away

Once the time has been reached for whatever done-ness you want, simply throw it on a hot grill to sear or finish it in a cast iron with some aromatics. garlic, and butter.

I have a searing torch that I use if I'm lazy that has yielded excellent results as well.

Another added bonus is how consistent your steaks turn out when you are making a shit ton of steaks for a family gathering. They all turn out exactly the same regardless if you are making 2 or 20 (I've done 15 using a Coleman cooler).
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I love grilling. My personal preference

Steak seasoning
Cheaper steaks Salt Pepper and Lowery's / garlic
More expensive Salt pepper

I cook the coals so they are low on life add a couple wood chips. Cook everything before the steaks. Get the grill hot for grill marks. Remove from heat and close air vents. Few min on each side. Toss a touch of butter.

So good
IE
Hall of Famer

Thanks, @wab. OK I'm shocked... you leave it in for HOURS? I thought it was higher temp for shorter! So how do you know when it is ready, when the range is several hours? Or is that "done in one hour, but you're safe to leave it in at that temp for up to 2 more hours"?

Also - have you ever tried chops?

I'm going to ask for a wand for Father's Day and check it out. If I have that long, I can go sit by the grill with my beer and do all the same stuff... but then just throw on the steaks for a minute a side for grill marks without ruining it. Pretty excited to try.

@mmmc_35 I used to only use charcoal grill, and I do think it tastes better. Also with some wood chips. I moved to gas because I grill so often that I just got tired of the coals prep. But... I think it is worth it to have a charcoal grill for less hurried times... I think I'll consider getting one again. I have some friends with green eggs and they seem great. But $$ for a part time grill. Or especially if it is for sous vide or if I'm grilling fish. I only leave my salmon or tuna on for maybe 5 min for a good searing, so that seems like a lot to prep a charcoal grill for that.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Agree. I only use charcoal when not in a hurry to eat. Charcoal is mainly the weekend way and gas is for during the week.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I am a 100% charcoal guy ... and the wide variety of smoking chips, the way I can manipulate flavors with just the coals and the chips are amazing

I understand the time involved can make charcoal grilling inconvenient for the work week, but I just can't get into a gas grill ... if you're doing the propane thing and calling it grilling, you'd be better off pan frying on your stove inside IMO
George Carlin
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:09 am Thanks, @wab. OK I'm shocked... you leave it in for HOURS? I thought it was higher temp for shorter! So how do you know when it is ready, when the range is several hours? Or is that "done in one hour, but you're safe to leave it in at that temp for up to 2 more hours"?

Also - have you ever tried chops?

I'm going to ask for a wand for Father's Day and check it out. If I have that long, I can go sit by the grill with my beer and do all the same stuff... but then just throw on the steaks for a minute a side for grill marks without ruining it. Pretty excited to try.
Yeah, it's hours. Done in an hour, fine to leave up to the max time abov@wab
Outside of the fact that it will be the most tender and juicy steak you've ever had, another benefit is that if you follow the temp/time guidelines it's impossible to overcook it.

While it's not quite as fun as grilling a steak, the results are pretty awesome.

Personally I use the wand for a lot of other stuff too. When I smoke a brisket or pork or make more steaks than the family can eat, I seal that stuff up and then use the wand to bring it all back up to temp. It makes leftover meat taste like it's not leftover.

Also - yes, I've done pork chops. They turn out really good. Here's a recipe I use for bone in chops:
https://www.sousvidetools.com/toolshed/ ... sous-vide/

I usually put a little port wine reduction over it with some carrots (that you can also sous vide at the same time as the pork).

Other times I will put a BBQ rub on them (I use a lot of Meat Church stuff) before I seal it up and let them sit in the fridge overnight. Sous vide and finish the same way as above and serve with some baked beans and cornbread.
wab
Mod

This is a good sous vide steak recipe: https://fitfoodiefinds.com/sous-vide-steak/
docc
Head Coach

Here in Tucson on a 5 acre suburban ranch with hundreds of Mesquite.. I use Mesquite..lol In a hurry I use a propane with Mesquite chips..

This weekend is Baby Back ribs..slow cooked in foil in oven then on Grill to give that nice charred flavor..and still nice and juicy... Making my Salsa Cruda that can rip your guts out..baked Red Potato and Corn on Cob..simple and of course Beer..Shiner Bock this week..(if it makes it until then) otherwise Warsteiner//

I will be using Fireball and my special seasoning..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:12 pm Here in Tucson on a 5 acre suburban ranch with hundreds of Mesquite.. I use Mesquite..lol In a hurry I use a propane with Mesquite chips..

This weekend is Baby Back ribs..slow cooked in foil in oven then on Grill to give that nice charred flavor..and still nice and juicy... Making my Salsa Cruda that can rip your guts out..baked Red Potato and Corn on Cob..simple and of course Beer..Shiner Bock this week..(if it makes it until then) otherwise Warsteiner//

I will be using Fireball and my special seasoning..
Have you ever included Fireball in a pie?

Not trying to flex or anything, but I make the best pumpkin pies in the world and I've got a good friend who says he makes his with Fireball in them.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So I'm in da nort woods at the family cabin. A few years ago I bought a fire pit grate.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... lsrc=aw.ds

The meat is fantastic. Start a fire. Separate the wood and toss charcoal in the middle. Cook your food. Its possibly the best meal you will eat.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bone-in ribeye guy myself, medium-rare always.
wab wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:25 pm
Z Bear wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:12 pm I like to buy the whole beef tenderloin and cut my own Filet Mignon. It is weird you can buy the whole tenderloin on sale for $8 bucks a pound but a cut filet will cost $18 a pound! I rub all my steaks with my BBQ rub (brown sugar, seasoning salt, ground mustard, onion powder, cayenne and black pepper). Sear one minute a side with the grill burners all the way up, then I turn off the middle burners and cook to temperature (medium rare). I use the same rub for anything I put in the smoker too,
I do this too.

I'm a straight up salt and pepper on the steak guy though. But when I sear, I use a little butter, garlic, and some aromatics...

Generally turns out pretty good.
That looks fucking delicious, I'm going to have to pick your brain.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Yeah. Sorry @wab I'm not waiting 3 hours for my steak.

I love Ribeyes and NY Strips. I grew up with my Dad using Kitchen Bouquet to rub the steaks down, and then dry rub them with a little salt, pepper, garlic, and thyme. Let them sit in the fridge overnight uncovered. I set up a hot and cool side of the grill. Sear for a couple of minutes on each side, and then cool side for 4 minutes. Perfect med rare. I've heard the reverse sear is even better, which sounds a little bit like what you're doing WAB, but I haven't had the guts to try it yet. Making steaks tomorrow, maybe I'll try it.