Happy Father's Day!!!

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 you a daddy yet?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Happy Father's Day to all you guys. This is our day. Have the kid clean out your car, organize your tool chest, whatever. J/K
G08
Hall of Famer

Just wanted to drop a quick Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful dads that we have on this board. Mr. and Mrs. G08 just welcomed our daughter into the world earlier this month so life has been a whirlwind. Wouldn't change a thing :)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Congrats on the kid, hopefully she sleeps.

Fathers day is just a day where you do the same shit you always due but your kids feel compelled to say thank you.
G08
Hall of Famer

Thanks, so far so good!

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:06 am G08 you a daddy yet?
I am! She surprised us two weeks ago :D

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Congrats G08!! Not sure if I missed a previous announcement (brain is fading, can't remember shit except for insignificant things).

I agree mmmc, told my kids I didn't want shit and they can do what they want. I just wanted to relax and have my time. Didn't happen. Drove back from partying with the youngest (his bday was Friday), went and saw my father-in-law and then my oldest had us out for steak supper. It was a good day, but I like quiet, alone time.
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:52 am
Ohhhh shit! Congrats man!
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Nice! Congrats and I hope everybody is doing well!
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:21 am
G08 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:52 am I am! She surprised us two weeks ago :D
Nice! Congrats and I hope everybody is doing well!
dplank wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:19 am

Ohhhh shit! Congrats man!
Thanks boys! Mom and baby are doing well, I'm hanging on for dear life :lol:

wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:41 am Fathers day is just a day where you do the same shit you always due but your kids feel compelled to say thank you.
This. Exactly this.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Ah, having a baby:

:D Congrats. :applaud:
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Gratz, man. Savor all the moments -- they fly by.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
docc
Head Coach

Congratz !! We're raising my Grandson 3 yrs old as my son is working full time and going to college.. He's here every minute he can..today they were rolling around the TV room..

Get ready modern life !
IE
Hall of Famer

Congrats, G! Enjoy the small moments and get as much sleep as you can get! And save your money, for when they end up needing that 5th year at MSU like this guy. Ugh.
At least he took me golfing Sunday.
204020429_10159746919889415_705096735514485127_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
G08
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:25 pm Ah, having a baby:

:D Congrats. :applaud:
:rofl:

Thanks all!!

wab
Mod

Congrats my friend! Oh...and I'm sorry for all the money you won't have anymore :)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

late to the party, but Congratulations G08

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:26 pm Congrats my friend! Oh...and I'm sorry for all the money you won't have anymore :)
I was looking at daycare just to get my ducks in a row for the future... Jesus Christ it's like a second fucking mortgage!

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Becoming a parent really changed my life and somewhat my worldview. Hopefully it does the same for you.

My kid has my personality (Lord give us strength.), but she's different.

Like the vegetarian thing I mentioned before. No one in my family on both sides has ever been one. Meat is murder Dad. What? Yeah well if plants had vocal cords they'd scream too. No Dad, you're wrong.

She loves telling my wife when she's wrong about something. See Mom? We DID have Ziplock bags.

Or Dad, why didn't you put the soda cans in the recycling bin? That's bad for the planet. Ummmmm, I put them by the kitchen sink and take them out at the end of the day.

But when it's your kid it's hilarious and very interesting.

Just wait for your parents to let your kid get away with murder even though you would've been pounded for that when you were a kid.
Xee
Site Admin

G08 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:04 am
wab wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:26 pm Congrats my friend! Oh...and I'm sorry for all the money you won't have anymore :)
I was looking at daycare just to get my ducks in a row for the future... Jesus Christ it's like a second fucking mortgage!
Congrats G08! Father of a 5 year-old here but it still seems like just yesterday when we brought him back from the hospital. I second (third?) whoever said that time goes by fast and to enjoy every second; I know when she's tiny it's hard to imagine her talking, having independent thoughts, etc. but those days will be here soon enough.

On the daycare note, I hear you completely. When my son was born my wife and I were both working and she went on parental leave. During that time we crunched the numbers and realized that if we put him in daycare pretty much my wife's entire salary would go towards that. That meant, because she worked long hours and had to commute to the city (we live in the suburbs) she would hardly get to see him during the week and not only that, we wouldn't be in a better financial position because of it. So a week before her parental leave was going to end she just gave her notice and became a stay-at-home mom.

That said, it sucks that so many families find themselves making the exact decision we did simply because of the cost of daycare. I know there are a lot of other factors but I think the cost of having kids is part of the reason why the birthrate in the US has been declining and is at its lowest since 1979.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

xee, I commend you wife on her decision. I know some women who did not even think twice about continuing to work. Continuing to have someone else raise their kids. It shocked me. It was like, "I didn't go to college to raise my kids!!" I asked why they had kids then if their job was going to be that important to them. They really had no response.

Awesome choice by your wife.

My wife, who is 54 at the moment, know at an early age she wanted to be a stay at home mother. Her mother raised all the kids on the farm and wife didn't see anything wrong with that (because there isn't anything wrong with it). She caught hell in high school for not wanting to go to college. she has worked since age 16. With our first she worked part time for quite awhile after his birth. We had an aunt watch him for free, just mornings, wife was off afternoons. With the second child she quit the job and didn't work for awhile. Times were tough for us at that time. After about a year, she went and worked part time in a retail store, mainly nights and weekends. I was home at those times so it worked out. She didn't go back to working full time til the 3rd w as in kindergarten. Due to my wife being home with the kids, they have turned out really well and I give her most of the credit, being there in the kids' early years. You can't beat it.
Xee
Site Admin

@Otis Day I think I should mention that another reason she quit her job was because I was making $30k more a year than her. If our salaries were reversed, I would have been the one to give my notice and become a stay-at-home dad.

And also, my wife was the opposite of yours in that she had never had any intention of ever becoming a stay at home mom. Hell, when we first started dating, she made it clear that if I didn't want to have kids, it was not a deal-breaker for her. Yes, she treasures the time she's spent with him but especially with him about to start kindergarten, she's itching to get back into the workforce. For her, she's never been comfortable with the fact that she sits at home while I work. Yes, raising a kid is a full-time job on it's own but she wants to be able to contribute to the finances as well and also have a life outside of the home.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I would have loved to be the stay at home dad. Would not have missed work at all and would not have felt bad if the wife was bringing home enough bacon for me to do that.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

My wife did in home day care. 3 kids in daycare would have been 1800 a month. With her doing in home she had 2-4 kids she was watching. She was a preschool teacher and they dont make any money.

@G08 look at in home options. I reallly think you can get better care for your kid if you find the right person. My wife worked in those centers. I wouldn't send my kids there. Over priced under staffed. Every one of her in home friends where much better and cheaper.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I agree mmmc-35. My future daughter-in-law, recently graduated college and is working as a nanny/daycare at the moment. She did that through college as well to make money. I would check it out.
Xee
Site Admin

I'm a bit biased but my mom has run an in home daycare longer than I've been around so that's 40+ years but I agree that's an option worth looking in to. She has saved enough money to retire but I don't think she will stop watching kids until she's physically unable to do so because it fills her days.

The only thing I would recommend if you go that route, G08, is to check to see that they are licensed by the state. I don't know if it's required but in order for a provider to be licensed they need to jump through a lot more hoops to get it. When I got old enough to drive my mom usually tasked me with taking the fire extinguisher to get inspected. That's because one part of being licensed is that the local fire department will do a surprise visit to check the inspection dates on your fire extinguisher(s), make sure you have a fire plan, ensure that all smoke detectors are working, and all the kids know what to do when the smoke detector goes off. The kids always got a kick out of it because they would always roll up in the fire truck when they did these visits. haha

The only thing that isn't as guaranteed is the curriculum for learning. My mom has paperwork for the kids to work on but she definitely placed more emphasis on them just having things available for them to do when they wanted rather than having scheduled activities. This was a pretty big difference from the expensive daycares that my wife and I visited when we were originally looking that had music classes, second languages, dancing, etc. So YMMVs for each in-home provider.