Lou Malnati's

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Hero wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:42 am Is Lou Malnati's pizza any good? I'm thinking about getting some shipped to me. Cost $100 for six. Any others with better deals?
I lived near a Lou's when I lived in Chi. Their pizza was very good. I've had the frozen shipped once. It cooks up well and tastes great but the price is out of sight. The pizzas are only 9".
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

cblaz11 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:28 pm
wab wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:03 am
We have some pretty good pizza places down here, but we also have a lot of boutique places that put figs and goat cheese and honey on top.

Lot's of NY style pizza here but very few Chicago style joints worth a damn.
Where are you?
North Dallas burbs
IE
Hall of Famer

Any fellow old folk Illini remember waiting 90 min back in the day to get a Garcia's stuffed delivered? That was really great, IMO. I definitely preferred over Papa Dell's.

If anyone is in the north central IL area and loves cheese - I mean REALLY loves cheese ... try Lou's LaGrotto Deep Dish in Peru IL (my home town). Italian sausage is a must. I get with pepperoni and shrooms too.

I like Lou's but flavor wise prefer Giordano's. In the Detroit area there is a chain called PizzaPapalis that sells Chicago-style deep dish and it is about 95% identical to Giordano's. So I try to get one every now & again but they're not really close to where I live.

TBH these days I prefer thin crust pizza because deep dish basically puts me in a coma for the rest of the day. But there IS a time & place for that...
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The Grizzly One wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:21 pm No mention of Uno or Duo. Very similar to Malnati's, but maybe a hair short. But still great.
I love them, personally; but the wait is too often interminable, and Lou's is a close approximation.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
docc
Head Coach

Loved Uno or Duo..HOWEVER..They opened a Uno here in TUCSON..I went..but not good..and across the valley from me..50 miles..

So no way..and I guess many thought the same..
CLOSED
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:57 pm Loved Uno or Duo..HOWEVER..They opened a Uno here in TUCSON..I went..but not good..and across the valley from me..50 miles..

So no way..and I guess many thought the same..
CLOSED
I remember when the first Uno's appeared in my area on the east coast ... I was so pumped ... and ended up so disappointed

no way the chain pizza Uno should even carry the Uno name because it is nothing like the REAL Uno
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Hero
Player of the Month

BTW the pizza order was awesome! My oldest who is a pepperoni pizza junkie is already thinking about ordering his own box. The order was delayed a couple of days because they ran out of bbq chicken pizzas but it was delivered sooner than they projected.
IE
Hall of Famer

Hero wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:10 pm BTW the pizza order was awesome! My oldest who is a pepperoni pizza junkie is already thinking about ordering his own box. The order was delayed a couple of days because they ran out of bbq chicken pizzas but it was delivered sooner than they projected.
You ordered Lou's from far away and BBQ Chicken was part of the order? I might need a ruling on this... lol
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IotaNet
MVP

IE wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:31 am Any fellow old folk Illini remember waiting 90 min back in the day to get a Garcia's stuffed delivered? ...
I went to SIU but I kicked it many a day (and night) at U of I. When I think about Garcias, I always think about the GUT-BUSTER.

That was a gazillion years ago -- good times.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Middleguard
MVP

The Grizzly One wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:21 pm No mention of Uno or Duo. Very similar to Malnati's, but maybe a hair short. But still great.
My recollection is that Lou started out at one of those two.

In the business news today: Malnati's is expanding their production facility that produces frozen pizzas for shipment. Every year we send some to our former neighbors who moved to California .
UOK
Site Admin