Cubs trade Rizzo, Baez, Bryant, & more in major purge

North or South side, we're talkin' Chicago baseball

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Yu Darvish was traded to the Padres for a few teenagers that haven't played minor league ball. Rumors are Wilson Contreras will be dealt within days as well, likely for nothing in return. Kris Bryant likely also on the move, but nothing official yet.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Cubs got 4 prospects, 2 really good and 2 ok and a starting pitcher(Davies) that has been very solid. But they lost caratini as well.

Contreras may be next but that would put them really light on catchers and he has 2 seasons of team control left. He could bring a very large package of players.

I would expect Bryant to be traded, but probably in season with the Cubs hoping he starts out hot to push up the price tag.

If Davies pitches well I would expect he could be traded before the deadline for more prospects similar to what they did in the past or an extension with a reasonable amount if possible. He’s a solid 4 or 5 starter on a top rotation.

The guy I really wish they could move is Heyward as his contract is terrible, but they are going to need to eat a large chunk of it to do it.

Baez and Rizzo probably stay, but who knows. Baez is going to get really expensive. Rizzo probably not as expensive, but should probably make more than Baez as he is more consistent overall. Both had bad seasons last year.

It’s a full blown rebuild now.

I hate seeing those guys go, but it’s a reality that you can’t have that many high dollar guys. When the did this before it resullted in a World Series.
docc
Head Coach

Welp..Bryant got $$ in arbitration..Beaz too..Happ looking for a few 100Gs,,all staying with Cubs..No more Almora Jr..Schwarbs get $10,000,000 !! and gone.. Liked him..but $10M for designated hitter/limited OF..?
Hope Rizzo stays..
Lots of time for things to change though..
UOK
Site Admin

Bryant will be a pre-ASG flip. I don't think Baez or Rizzo go anywhere.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I agree that Bryant's as good as gone.

The cynical side of me thinks they'll keep Rizzo as their Mark Grace type, and sell off anyone else.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Cubs sellers as the trade deadline approaches

Cubs Trade Anthony Rizzo to Yankees
One of the most beloved players in the history of the Chicago Cubs is on the move, as first baseman Anthony Rizzo is being traded to the New York Yankees.

In exchange, the Cubs will get minor league pitcher Alexander Vizcaino and outfielder Kevin Alcantara. The Cubs will also send cash to the Yankees to complete the swap.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Reading some online stuff, it sures seems that the Rizzo new has hit female Cub fans hard. About 95% of the comments are from females that I have seen. My sister being one of them. She is claiming she doubts she can root for the Cubs anymore. I told her if that is the case, she was not a Cub fan to begin with.

I understand how great of a guy he is, but after 2016 they haven't won shit. Fans stating this ownership is worse than the Tribune Co. I think this ownership is finally realizing, we won a damn ring, lets purge some players and makeup for the cash shortage last year. People will still buy tickets no matter how bad the Cubs get.
UOK
Site Admin

I'll start a new thread once all the trades are done. Cubs are purging for a 2022-23 quick rebuild.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Sounds like they are paying most of rizzo’s salary for the Yankees.

Given these guys are rental players destined to be FA at the seasons end I would suspect that’s the only way to get decent packages of prospects.

I fully expect Bryant and Baez to be gone by the deadline. Kimbrel, Davies and a couple other relievers could go as well.

It will be interesting to see if they try to sign any of them back this off-season.
UOK
Site Admin

Cubs just dealt Craig Kimbrel to the White Sox for Nick Madrigal and Codi Heuer. Sounds like the Mets are on the verge of picking up Javy Baez. No word on Bryant yet.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Sounds like the rays and giants may be bidding against each other for Bryant.

I look for Davies to go as well.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

No offense to Cub fans (when I followed baseball I was all in on the Cubs), I am cracking up on my family and close friends losing their shit over all this. Of course most claiming they are done with the Cubs. I try to point out this resembles what was done prior to this good run they had. This crew that won the WC in 16 has not really amounted to what they should have. IMO, everything was in alignment in 2016. Since then, not so much. The Cubs have went thru hitting coaches like babies go thru diapers. I guess we know it was not the coaches fault these guys can't advancce runners and strikeout way too much.
UOK
Site Admin

Bryant to the Giants, Marisnick to the Padres. Not sure on returns.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:47 pm No offense to Cub fans (when I followed baseball I was all in on the Cubs), I am cracking up on my family and close friends losing their shit over all this. Of course most claiming they are done with the Cubs. I try to point out this resembles what was done prior to this good run they had. This crew that won the WC in 16 has not really amounted to what they should have. IMO, everything was in alignment in 2016. Since then, not so much. The Cubs have went thru hitting coaches like babies go thru diapers. I guess we know it was not the coaches fault these guys can't advancce runners and strikeout way too much.
once the trade deadline approaches, one has to decide if it is rebuild time, as it is perhaps more likely to get a better return when trading an established player to a team still in the playoff hunt ... then you get the young guys to begin the necessary rebuild process

I can understand why some people may lose their shit over this process, especially if it is one of their favorite players that has just been dealt ... but everyone has to understand the big picture and how some short term pain in losing favorite players benefits the long term plans if done properly
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

So fucking mad. Ricketts jacked all of the prices at Wrigley by 30%, but promised to keep a competitive team on the field, "A regular participant in the postseason." Didn't sign one of their core players. Traded them for prospects that may or may not work out. Rizzo was the heart and soul of the Cubs, and was still a very good 1st baseman, a leader, an outstanding member of the community with all of his work with Lurie Children's hospital and the Ronald McDonald House. He should have retired a Cub, but instead he's a fucking Yankee. The pitching staff has all but given up. The players they are marching on the field would barely make a AAA team. It's fucking pathetic.

I have officially cancelled my TV service that carried the Marquee Network, and I am rooting for the White Sox for the rest of the season. I hope Cubs fans abandon Wrigley, and make a statement with their attendance.