Hot Dogs

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Talk to me about hot dogs. I love 'em. There's no wrong hot dog.

Chicago style piled with pepper, tomato and onion? Shit yeah.

Burnt black from the campfire with ketchup and mustard? Of course.

Microwaved and served on a damp bun with BBQ sauce? Who could say no?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Love me some hot dogs. Used to boil hot dogs all the time. Then I went to microwaving them. Then just putting them in a skillet with butter. Now for that quick lunch, I throw them in the air fryer.

I am pretty basic, mainly just eat dogs with a little cheddar. Some times throw on some Ray's Coney Sauce. If there is some bacon already cooked, throw that on.

I like BBQ pulled pork on dogs as well.

We have a great little hot dog place here in town, Coney Island. Been in town since the 50s. 4 Different owners over the years. The coney sauce has changed a little. Original owners took their recipe with them. Walk in this place and you enter a 1950s type zone.

I prefer Hebrew National all beef dogs. I like Oscar Mayer Angus Beef dogs a lot as well.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Portillo's Jumbo Dog with ketchup and mustard only. Large fries and a Diet Coke.

OR

At home, has to be an all beef hot dog. I like Ballpark. I make mine at home by toasting the hot dog bun on the stove burner while microwaving the hot dogs for 1 minute. Put some shredded cheese on there.

I usually put ketchup and mustard on.

HOWEVER

I've been doing Mayochip lately. It's awesome!

A little salt too.
wab
Mod

I'm a chili dog with chopped onions on a steamed bun kinda guy.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Homemade deer or elk dogs, pile on peppers and onions that were all cooked together with them. Add a splash of devils spit or ole west bbq sauce.

Grind deer or elk with approx 20% Boston butts then season, rest and then through the stuffer.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

1/4 all beef. Viennas, some other companies make them. Slow grill for 45 minutes or so after scoring. Grew up in Skokie, Poochies on Dempster (started in a tiny shack on Oakton but moved) made a truly great dog and sausages also. Their fries were the best, cut them themselves, not frozen, buy a big bag for cheap. Steamed buns, chopped onion, mustard, tomato, pepperchinis, nothing else on my dog.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
UOK
Site Admin

Man, I cannot for the life of me get into pepperoncinis on anything, much less hotdogs. Hot dogs with pickle, tomato, onion? I can get behind all of them, but the pepperoncinis have a big flavor that kind of distracts from everything else. IMHO.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I too favor the traditional Chicago dog with all the trimmings ... usually use Hebrew Nationals all beef as my dog of choice ... only thing I can't get locally to make my Chicago dogs at home is that weird almost glow in the dark green relish

I have a Sonic nearby as well, and they do a pretty decent Chicago dog ... and they have tater tots

favorite dog # 2 would be base dog with chili, cheese and onions
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Grew up so poor, we had boiled hot dogs or fried bologna 3-4 nights a week some weeks. Hated everything that remotely tasted like a hot dog until after college.
But now I don't mind them, but prefer them grilled dark. Best combos: Chili, cheddar cheese and onion; Hot meat sauce, mustard and onion; sauerkraut and mustard; Relish and mustard.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Xee
Site Admin

UOK wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:42 am Talk to me about hot dogs. I love 'em. There's no wrong hot dog.

Chicago style piled with pepper, tomato and onion? Shit yeah.

Burnt black from the campfire with ketchup and mustard? Of course.

Microwaved and served on a damp bun with BBQ sauce? Who could say no?
Man, it's great to hear someone from Illinois puts ketchup on their hotdogs. Growing up, that's how I always ate it at home but then when I got to college I found out that apparently that practice is considered taboo. It still seems weird to gatekeep condiments on a food but whatever, I'm sure every city has their take on the "only" way to eat a specific food.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I remember my daughter's last surgery at the Shriners Hospital in Oak Park, IL. A biker club was putting on a lunch outside. My daughter may have been 12 at the time. She only put ketchup on her dogs. We go thru the line and a burly biker dude would put mustard on the dog if you wanted it. My daughter asked for ketchup and the biker dude pointed to a box at the end of the table. In the box were ketchup packets.

taken to an extreme, but funny.
UOK
Site Admin

I've been to a couple places that would refuse you service if you wanted ketchup for your hotdogs. Those places are assholes (also they're closed now, I wonder why?).
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Eat ketchup on your dogs if you want, fuck it.

And I say that as a season ticket holder to the Chicago Dogs, where Ketchup is the villain mascot.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I was of the "no ketchup" crowd until I went to Germany ... one of the items on the menu was a German sausage with ketchup and paprika that I really enjoyed ... so I recommend you try it yourselves with the hot dog of your choice ... they also did a bratwurst with a tomato sauce (not ketchup) and curry powder, which was also awesome

and of course the side dish of choice was kartoffelpuffer (German potato pancake) with sour cream and apple sauce
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

I absolutely hate yellow mustard and hate pickles. So for me ketchup and onions (and cheese if available) is how I eat regular dogs. The D-luxe version of that is a Weiner Circle char polish with cheese grilled onions and a little ketchup. Used to get the same ones down on Maxwell Street at 3 AM with all the gangbangers and hookers.

I do prefer chili / coney dogs with cheese and onion if I'm eating dogs these days. I'll still give it a fine line of ketchup as well. When I first moved to Chicago and lived on N. Burling that's what I'd get every night at the Doggie Diner on Burling and Armitage (AKA "World's Best Fries", as it said on their sign - they only changed their deep fry grease a few times a year and it did make them great). I gained 20 lbs and stopped that. lol
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Local hot dog joint here in town celebrated its 100th Anniversary. I believe there has only been 5 owners in that time. they serve a wicked Coney Dog (I have mine with coney sauce and sweet onion). People rave about their Chicago dog. I will get the BBQ (pulled pork on the beef dog) from time to time. the place still has the original grill for cooking the dogs.

Mike Wolfe from American Pickers came down for the ceremony.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I grew up in Portland, OR and always had ketchup and relish on my hot dogs. Then I moved to Chicago in 2001, and had my first Chicago dog. My first thought was, "what in holy hell is this, and it's fucking delicious!" I love Chicago dogs. But the best hot dog I ever had was at Hot Doug's in Chicago. I waited 45 minutes in 30 degree weather to get in. It was a work of art and unbelievably good. Too bad he decided to shut down. The place was epic.