Something Different To Fight About (Johnson Fined)

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/10/20/c ... ram-story/

JJ gets fined for being (probably) 1-60 seconds late to a meeting
Posts letter to social media, gets (probably) a talking to for it

Go!
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

lousy look to post on social media. When you have a leader like Eddie Jackson challenging the likes of a Lance Briggs, we should expect this type of behavior. Fuck this team.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think Nagy could have looked the other way or given a lower fine if he wasn't trying to address a problem. Like this is a little wild for a first time offense. I want reporters to ask if he's having trouble engaging his team in meetings right now or if this is specifically a problem with Jaylon. If everything is going great and players are being very professional and engaged in meetings etc then he looks like a dick who is throwing his weight around a little bit.
xyt in the discord chats
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Personally I think if you have a standard and it's not met you have to have some type of discipline. Now I rarely think fiscal punishment is the right method. Taking food off the table generally garners resentment. Physical toil however might momentarily cause resentment but is generally not as long lasting.

My favorite is lunges for distance say of a football field.
Xee
Site Admin

Lost a bit of respect for JJ for posting this. What does he possibly have to gain from it? You have an issue with it, take it up with the coach, don't look for sympathy from the public who can do jack squat about your situation.

And I got to say I disagree, @crueltyabc. This is a completely in-house issue that the reporters don't need to know about but now that they do, you can expect to see a deluge of click-baity articles like, "Is Nagy Losing the Locker Room?", "Players Unhappy With Nagy", etc.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Mistakes all round and there needs to be a bit of bridge building going on.
Discipline is vital in a team sport, 1 minute late becomes 5 minutes late and you’ve let your team mates down.
JJ’s time is not more important than the rest of the team.

I’ve no problem with Nagy’s enforcement, I think someone senior in the team probably needs to have a word with JJ - maybe coach Desai?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Not a good look, 33. If everyone else can show up on time, you can too.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Xee
Site Admin

Mikefive wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:41 pm Not a good look, 33. If everyone else can show up on time, you can too.
Especially given that we don't know the context. Was this his first time or was it a pattern, he was given an ultimatum, and he still came late?

Plus, 8:15am sounds like a weird time to start a meeting. It makes me wonder if they actually start it at 8:00am but give you 15 minutes of oh-crap-my-alarm-didn't-go-off time. So if you can't make it on time you bet you're going to hear about it.

To clarify, I'm not one of those people who think just because football players make millions they should put up with any indignities that come their way, but that cuts both ways. Back when I worked an hourly, minimum-wage job even though they let you clock in up to 9 minutes after your shift was supposed to start, you can bet I'd get shit from my boss if I made it a habit of clocking in that late without giving him a heads up. He can at least do the same for $1.6 mill a year.
G08
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:38 pm https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/10/20/c ... ram-story/

Go!
Don't want to be fined? Be the fuck on time.

$2,745 is chump-change to him.
Last edited by G08 on Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
IE
Hall of Famer

Kids these days are different and social media is a direct part of their lives... not surprised at all that he shared that.

There's almost certainly missing context - like this isn't the first time, and Nagy felt like he had to send a lesson. If that WAS the case a comment about previous latitude certainly should have been in the letter to make it clear that he'd been given chances.

I agree with you mmm ... the money IMO should be a final straw type thing. Make the guy do something for his teammates to make up for the disrespect. Or the lunges is a great idea.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yeah long story is no one feels bad. I cant show up late for work either should an NFL player. Though I have never done it I think I would get a once a year grace period.

IE... Lunges are great discipline. They kill you after a very short distance. They are perhaps the best leg exercise ever. They are a terrible punishment that everyone understands, and they make you better physically and mentally.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Low class move by JJ exacberating his own action causing the problem in the first place. Could the Bears have handled this differently, i.e. a talking-to by Desai or Nagy? Possibly depending on if he was late for 1 minute. If 16 minutes, I can see the fine.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

If you are on time, you are late. Important meetings you get there at the latest, 5 minutes early. If everyone else is on time, it is his problem.

I am one of those people that gets nervous if I am not 10 minutes early. Unfortunately, only one of three of my kids has the same motivation. the other 2 are fine with getting to a meeting or work right on time.

Maybe they should start thinking about fining Jackson for his weak ass play.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:56 am If you are on time, you are late. Important meetings you get there at the latest, 5 minutes early. If everyone else is on time, it is his problem.

I am one of those people that gets nervous if I am not 10 minutes early. Unfortunately, only one of three of my kids has the same motivation. the other 2 are fine with getting to a meeting or work right on time.
I've always subscribed to the Lombardi rules as well. Your job *begins* at the scheduled time. You don't make muster by simply walking onto company property at 8:00AM or whenever.

Posting it to social media is just kinda a dumb act, but I wouldn't look anything further into it.

Talk to him respectfully, keep a positive process, learn, and grow.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

If your meeting is at the start of the work day then being early is just unpaid time you are working. Why is this the noble way to be? Giving away your time?
xyt in the discord chats
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

IE wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:08 pm Kids these days are different and social media is a direct part of their lives... not surprised at all that he shared that.

There's almost certainly missing context - like this isn't the first time, and Nagy felt like he had to send a lesson. If that WAS the case a comment about previous latitude certainly should have been in the letter to make it clear that he'd been given chances.

I agree with you mmm ... the money IMO should be a final straw type thing. Make the guy do something for his teammates to make up for the disrespect. Or the lunges is a great idea.
I can guarantee you Nagy didn’t actually write that letter. I would bet money there is a system that generates it when a player hasn’t swiped in or whatever they do at Halas Hall on time.

The “if you’re on time you’re late” mentality is endemic in NFL coaches. There’s a reason there is a section of the CBA that permits escalating fines and punishments for tardiness.

He would have been fined on any team and the media is just making a big deal out of it to help shape their narrative of Nagy needing to go.
Last edited by TheWorldBreaker on Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UOK
Site Admin

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:31 pm If your meeting is at the start of the work day then being early is just unpaid time you are working. Why is this the noble way to be? Giving away your time?
It's more about respecting the time of others. If you're waiting at a train station for the 3pm arrival, but it shows up at 4:45pm, it sucks and your whole day is thrown off. You ask the engineer why it's so late, he says, "well the train leaves at 8AM, so by the time I got changed and my coffee and settled in, it was 8:20. I then arrived at every subsequent stop 20 or so minutes late because I'm a non-punctual asshole."

If the meeting starts at 8, the meeting *starts* at 8. We're not still filing in at 8, we're not taking a piss at 8, we're not walking in the door at 8. We're in our seats assembled for the meeting to begin precisely at 8. There's nothing noble about showing up late because you're fiercely selfish about your time, making everybody else waste *their* time waiting on people who feel punctuality is theft.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:31 pm If your meeting is at the start of the work day then being early is just unpaid time you are working. Why is this the noble way to be? Giving away your time?
If I walk in the door at 8 and have meetings starting at 8, I consider myself late. But if I walk in at 8 I consider myself late anyway.

If I go to church and walk in 1 minute early, I consider myself late.

If I am going fishing with buddies and say I will be there by 6:30, if I show at 6:30 I consider myself late. P

Some people are wired a certain way. I like to be there, prepared and be going when the work day starts, not walking in, finding a coffee and then getting ready to start the day.

10-15 minutes early is SOP for me.
UOK
Site Admin

Was in a band with a guy who was never on-time or early, ever. It was ingrained in him to be late for all things. He has no awareness of time, I guess.

My wife's the same way, ish. She doesn't know how long she needs before it's time to leave, so she always feels "rushed" when I'm simply trying to make us on time or a smidge early. It's fucking baffling.
IE
Hall of Famer

Oh well it was something else to talk about this week. It's nothing really. At least it isn't on my things to be concerned about with Nagy and/or the team. Good talk. lol
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dave99
Assistant Coach

You have to put this into context. He is clearly the best DB we have and maybe one of the better ones in the NFL. You generally don't get to that level without practicing hard and playing harder.
Assuming that's the case and he has a punctuality problem, I would take him aside and talk to him, tell him he is leader and for better or worse needs to act like one. I am going to ding him with a small fine to make point. Learn from it.
If something like that happened and he posted on social media, he is a problem.
If he hit him with a chicken shit fine for a first time offense or without explaining why then Nagy is the problem.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
malk
Head Coach

Jfc I'm glad I don't work with some of you!

If my job starts at 9am and you want me there before 9am, um, pay me to get there earlier and have that as my start time. I'm in the building for when I start getting paid not sitting at my desk salivating at the prospect of someone extracting the surplus value from my time.

Incidentally I'm also a manager and have been since my late 20s. My teams know pretty early on that all I care about is them getting shit done. You want to leave early occasionally? I don't care, does your shit get done? Occasionally show up late? I don't care, does your shit get done? And, amazingly, people get their shit done and more! If anyone takes the piss they get told not to take the piss.

Now if you're inconveniencing loads of people with constant tardiness then sure, that needs sorting but I've got more issue with whomever organised the meeting before 9am. Fine that person!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

malk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:38 pm Jfc I'm glad I don't work with some of you!

If my job starts at 9am and you want me there before 9am, um, pay me to get there earlier and have that as my start time. I'm in the building for when I start getting paid not sitting at my desk salivating at the prospect of someone extracting the surplus value from my time.

Incidentally I'm also a manager and have been since my late 20s. My teams know pretty early on that all I care about is them getting shit done. You want to leave early occasionally? I don't care, does your shit get done? Occasionally show up late? I don't care, does your shit get done? And, amazingly, people get their shit done and more! If anyone takes the piss they get told not to take the piss.

Now if you're inconveniencing loads of people with constant tardiness then sure, that needs sorting but I've got more issue with whomever organised the meeting before 9am. Fine that person!
It all depends.

When you serve the public and the doors open at 8am you can’t really tell the public that Bobby needs 5 more minutes because he walked in with you.

But, I am salaried, my main staff is salaried and they all agreed to man the office during the hours we are open when they signed on. I typically exceed 40 hours a week by a ways, even though my salary is based on 40 hours a week.

Do we have times when any of us may need to leave early or start late, sure and it’s allowed given the fact that they get their shit done.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Personally I view people who show up to things late consistently as selfish. They believe there time is more valuable then yours.

Now context matters. Is it a meeting or do you have a job as malk describes an ammount of work. 2 completely different circumstances.

But I stand by if your waisting others time its selfish.
Xee
Site Admin

I agree, context matters. When I was hourly and worked shifts that I had to punch in for, yes, time mattered. I'd punch in on the hour and then head to my work area.

When I got a salaried position though, and basically was expected to take ownership of my work, I came in when most other people came in which was anywhere from 8-9. But if I did some in 9, and knew I had to hit 8 billable to day, I had to stay longer to make up for it.
wab
Mod

My wife is chronically late. Like, if she's 30 minutes late she's actually 15 minutes early.
Xee
Site Admin

wab wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:25 am My wife is chronically late. Like, if she's 30 minutes late she's actually 15 minutes early.
Growing up, my family was like this to the point that family friends would know to invite us 30 minutes to an hour before the time they actually wanted us to be there.
wab
Mod

Xee wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:30 am
wab wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:25 am My wife is chronically late. Like, if she's 30 minutes late she's actually 15 minutes early.
Growing up, my family was like this to the point that family friends would know to invite us 30 minutes to an hour before the time they actually wanted us to be there.
This is what our friends do. People will tell us the party/event starts at 4. We show up at 4:30. SURPRISE! Party actually starts at 5.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:03 pm
Moriarty wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:38 pm https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/10/20/c ... ram-story/

Go!
Don't want to be fined? Be the fuck on time.

$2,745 is chump-change to him.
IDK. Kind of a hefty fine for being a minute late. Particularly when you consider how many veterans he just allows to take whole personal days off.