For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:38 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:16 am

Amen.

I stand by that 100%.
He didn't play well man. Slow to react, messed up a couple RPOs, etc.

I'm still of the opinion he isn't ready, but I also think Nagy did him little, if any, favors.

:backout:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Okay, Boomer.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:34 am Okay, Boomer.
At least include a picture of the chick when you use that quote
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:32 am

But, back to the point - there shouldn't be any surprise or questioning of this.
Handling blitzes/heavy pressure well was the big knock on him in his predraft reports.

Boomer is just confirming that there's been no radical improvements over the course of 7 games with 4 starts.

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:47 am
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:34 am Okay, Boomer.
At least include a picture of the chick when you use that quote
I'm not pulling your material for you. You have Google.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

So you have a guy with a strong arm, good accuracy, and 4.4 speed but he can't recognize blitzes so the team is doomed to last place in offensive rankings? These people are just exposing their football ignorance.
xyt in the discord chats
G08
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:51 am
G08 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:32 am

But, back to the point - there shouldn't be any surprise or questioning of this.
Handling blitzes/heavy pressure well was the big knock on him in his predraft reports.

Boomer is just confirming that there's been no radical improvements over the course of 7 games with 4 starts.
No surprise here, it's why I wanted him to sit for as long as possible.

Now that we've ripped that bandage off, I hope he doesn't die.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
IE
Hall of Famer

OK Boomer. Go ahead and pretend that your starts in your uninspiring rookie season didn't help you then further develop in the offseason to become actually good in your second year.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I feel sorry for Nagy, I see a bit of myself on him I guess.

I think he actually is that offensive “maverick”, some would say genius but it’s really just “maverick”.
The problem with people who have maverick ideas is that they’re only useful 10% of the time and then they are hailed as a genius.
I have this trait too, but I’ll readily admit I struggle to do the simple little things which make the difference.

There’s no point in having an offensive maverick as your HC. Pro sports is all about doing the simple things perfectly and letting the talent/maverick make the final difference.

We need a HC who does the simple things perfectly. No stupid penalties, always play the percentages, always leave yourself short 3rd downs, don’t get the QB sacked when you are in FG range at the end of a half etc etc.

Nagy needs someone who just keeps in simple.

Nagy may be a great OC, but he’s not HC material.
I feel sorry for him, but he’s unlikely to turn it round.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Fucking Donkey!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

The table is set.

Our next game is a Monday night battle against the Steelers. Virginia hates being embarrassed on National TV. Nagy being Nagy should seal the deal for a bye week firing. Tabor or Pettine can interim until season end. I've come to the realization that Pace needs to go too, but getting a head start on firing Nagy is a start.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Eriebear
Journeyman

It's time ! He hires a D Coach who can't play Man to Man , Did anyone see HOW wide open SF's were open after playing
Zone ? Where was the Blitz ?
The next thing is = NO WR gets open and clean . I though we were getting some guys, not so much .
If we don't have the worst O -Line in the NFL ,Let me Know .
Every play , we cannot made a Retherm
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Last edited by mshu7 on Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Shu
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

mshu7 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:54 am

This would be a nightmare scenario. Pace would almost certainly screw up the next coach hire and continue to be reckless in trading up for bums in the draft.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Get accustomed to the Ryan Pace experience, fellas. I don't think he's going anywhere.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
dave99
Assistant Coach

The Bears need draft picks and cash.
Pace has screwed up the salary cap and has been reckless in trading away draft picks
Fields need OL help and receivers. Pace sucks at drafting offensive lineman and receivers.
The Bears need a new HC and Pace is, well Pace.
So by all means lets keep him.
What could go wrong?
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:58 pm Get accustomed to the Ryan Pace experience, fellas. I don't think he's going anywhere.
I agree. Id prefer a fresh start all around, but like you, dont see it happening. Looking back at the last 2 drafts I'm not as down on Pace as I was. Some continuity is good, just hope he gets the next coach right.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:58 pm Get accustomed to the Ryan Pace experience, fellas. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Kap seems to think they promote Pace "upstairs" to be the "head of football operations" and he hires a new GM who he works with to find a new HC??????

That part is at about he 10:40 mark
Artbest
Player of the Month

IMO, a "head of football operations" would still have final say over the roster...at least in NFL parlance they do. I do think Pace is less likely to be let go than Nagy, but I don't believe it's a "given" that he's safe. Pace's drafts have been a little better, but nothing to get too excited about. Kmet is just a guy. Johnson is a good, not elite, CB. Mooney is a #3 WR at best in a good WR room. Outside of Arob, the balance of the WR room as as is weak as there is in the league. The oline isn't good. The defense is overpaid, aging, and appears to have collapsed.

The Bears have an old fairly listless roster lacking in impact players....particularly emerging impact players. There are a handful of keepers - starting with Justin Fields - but, after 7 years, the roster should be a lot better than this.
IE
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:22 pm Fucking Donkey!
Jesus, that's hard to read. Is that from his presser? It makes me feel murderous.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

IE wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:16 pm
Hema2.0 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:22 pm Fucking Donkey!
Jesus, that's hard to read. Is that from his presser? It makes me feel murderous.
You are right on. Nagy's line of BS is disgusting and unworthy.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:26 pm

Kap seems to think they promote Pace "upstairs" to be the "head of football operations" and he hires a new GM who he works with to find a new HC??????

That part is at about he 10:40 mark
I can see that.
And, generally speaking, Pace might be fine for that role.
But is he going to be willing and would a new GM feel comfortable taking a flamethrower to the roster that Pace built?

If not, is it any better than just letting Pace continue to fuck it up on his own?

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:38 pm IMO, a "head of football operations" would still have final say over the roster...at least in NFL parlance they do. I do think Pace is less likely to be let go than Nagy, but I don't believe it's a "given" that he's safe. Pace's drafts have been a little better, but nothing to get too excited about. Kmet is just a guy. Johnson is a good, not elite, CB. Mooney is a #3 WR at best in a good WR room. Outside of Arob, the balance of the WR room as as is weak as there is in the league. The oline isn't good. The defense is overpaid, aging, and appears to have collapsed.

The Bears have an old fairly listless roster lacking in impact players....particularly emerging impact players. There are a handful of keepers - starting with Justin Fields - but, after 7 years, the roster should be a lot better than this.
The Head of Football Operations thing just likely doesn't make sense. More likely than not it just ends up being a GM with a fancy title. Like you said, if Pace still has final control, they won't get a real GM candidate. Teams will likely be able to block candidates, so you're just moving down a tier in candidates.

So then you get to a situation where Pace is forced out of full control, but are we sure he would even want that? I mean I guess if the paycheck was big enough maybe, but he's still a young ambitious guy, and he's gonna take a backseat to let someone else run the roster?

Okay, but even if we say Pace accepts that role. I think that's the opposite of the direction McCaskey needs. If in 3 years the Bears are an 8 win team again, George is trying to figure out between Pace, a new GM, and a new HC, who is the positive and who's the negatives in that pairing. Give the new GM another shot at a HC without Pace? Let Pace hire another GM? Let the entire group continue to grow? Swipe the slate clean? How can we expect George to evaluate that?

So let's go the other way. Go get the most proven, big name coach you can and make him the Head of Football Operations and HC. He'll build out his own staff and in 3, 4 years or whenever it will be very clear who George is evaluating. That person will either have success or not and it will be theirs entirely. If you're looking to have the Bears do something different, thats the route, not add extra hierarchy at the FO level.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:07 pm
So let's go the other way. Go get the most proven, big name coach you can and make him the Head of Football Operations and HC. He'll build out his own staff and in 3, 4 years or whenever it will be very clear who George is evaluating. That person will either have success or not and it will be theirs entirely. If you're looking to have the Bears do something different, thats the route, not add extra hierarchy at the FO level.
How many guys have jumped straight into that kind of power (meaning: not starting as a 'normal' HC and then growing into more power with that same team, after proven success)? And how many of them have been successful?

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:47 am
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:07 pm
How many guys have jumped straight into that kind of power (meaning: not starting as a 'normal' HC and then growing into more power with that same team, after proven success)? And how many of them have been successful?
Bellicheck and Carroll? Holmgren did it years ago with Seattle as well I think. May have done it with Cleveland too? You have guys like Rivera who were hired before a GM as well, so not exactly the same, but they prob have some level of org seniority.

Obviously yes those guys all were retreads. And that's probably a necessary qualifier. No first time HC. And if from college they probably need some level of pro experience too.

I'm not totally sold on the idea. I think traditional GM-HC is fine too, but just a realistic alternative if you feel like the Bears trying the same technique isn't what you want. Much better than the Football Czar type role that is often brought up.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Please be true!

"Insider Confirms Bears Already Researching Matt Nagy Replacements" https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... lacements/
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Hema2.0 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:28 am Please be true!

"Insider Confirms Bears Already Researching Matt Nagy Replacements" https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... lacements/
They have to keep appraised of their options I guess.
Kellen Moore seems to be building quite the play calling reputation in Dallas.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

IE
Hall of Famer

I saw a Doug Pederson to replace Nagy rumour and almost threw up. That would fall into the "system is just fine and even most of the assistants are good - but the play calling and game planning/management (head coaching) is just wrong" rationale.

NO!!
dplank
Hall of Famer

One thing I like about Daboll is he seems to have his own offense/identity, it's not just trying to copy someone else as a disciple of some system that they aren't the actual owner/master of. Here's his Wiki bio, it's pretty rounded...

National Football League
Daboll began his NFL coaching career with the New England Patriots as a defensive coaching assistant in 2000 before being promoted to wide receivers coach for the Patriots in 2002. After the 2006 season, he left the Patriots to serve as the Jets' quarterbacks coach.

In 2009, Daboll joined Eric Mangini's staff in Cleveland as offensive coordinator. Under Daboll the Browns had the NFL's 32nd ranked offense in 2009[1] and the 29th ranked offense in 2010.[2] Daboll was named Offensive Coordinator of the Miami Dolphins under Tony Sparano in 2011, with his Dolphins improving from 30th in the league to 20th in overall offense.[3] On February 6, 2012 the Kansas City Chiefs announced the hiring of Daboll as offensive coordinator, replacing the retired Bill Muir. Daboll had previously worked with Chiefs head coach Romeo Crennel, general manager Scott Pioli and quarterback Matt Cassel in the New England Patriots organization. On January 14, 2013, the New England Patriots announced that he would be brought back in a coaching capacity for the remainder of the Patriots 2012–13 season.[4] On February 5, 2017, Daboll was part of the Patriots coaching staff that won Super Bowl LI. In the game, the Patriots defeated the Atlanta Falcons by a score of 34–28 in overtime.[5]

Return to college football
Daboll returned to college football in 2017 as offensive coordinator for Nick Saban and the Alabama Crimson Tide, starting February 20, 2017.[6] He helped Alabama reach the 2018 National Championship Game, where the Tide defeated the Georgia Bulldogs in overtime.

Return to the NFL
On January 14, 2018, Daboll was named as the new offensive coordinator for the Buffalo Bills.[7]
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Daboll and Greg Roman should be top targets after Nagy is fired.
For the first time in NFL draft history, a team has drafted a QB and a WR in the top 10.