The Hunting & Fishing Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:21 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:02 pm
I've always wanted a lever gun. Mine are more various handguns (wheel and magazine) and rifles of assorted calibers mainly 7.62 and 5.56. Couple shotguns.
I've never owned a revolver, shot a few. You ever use a red dot on a pistol? Recently purchased one for mine. Once you get use to it, its amazing. Expensive, and it takes practice, but its impressive. It actually has helped me with my non red dot pistols. You literally can see your fuck ups in the sight.
Not on a pistol. I use night sights on mine and I have a flashlight on a couple.

I've put red dots on some of my rifles though.
The Bear-Anon Sorcerer

Follow Uno The Dog on IG at unofields
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:21 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:02 pm
I've always wanted a lever gun. Mine are more various handguns (wheel and magazine) and rifles of assorted calibers mainly 7.62 and 5.56. Couple shotguns.
I've never owned a revolver, shot a few. You ever use a red dot on a pistol? Recently purchased one for mine. Once you get use to it, its amazing. Expensive, and it takes practice, but its impressive. It actually has helped me with my non red dot pistols. You literally can see your fuck ups in the sight.
Every handgun I own has one on it. It's basically a cheat code.
wab
Mod

Even though I haven't been fishing in a long time, I very much enjoy hunting.

I don't hunt deer very often. I don't know why, but I don't have it in me, and I don't really love the taste so there's no need for me to do it. My hunting typically revolves around turkey and hog. Some coyotes and occasionally dove.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:17 am Even though I haven't been fishing in a long time, I very much enjoy hunting.

I don't hunt deer very often. I don't know why, but I don't have it in me, and I don't really love the taste so there's no need for me to do it. My hunting typically revolves around turkey and hog. Some coyotes and occasionally dove.
How are wild pigs to eat? I assume that is the same as Boar.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:15 pm
wab wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:17 am Even though I haven't been fishing in a long time, I very much enjoy hunting.

How are wild pigs to eat? I assume that is the same as Boar.
I usually only make sticks or jerky out of it. If you want any ground meat out of it you have to add ground beef and/or beef fat. Otherwise it's just too lean.

Some people will take the loin and make chops out of it, but you have to soak them in an icewater bath for a couple of days for them to taste like your average store-bought chops. The shoulders are ok...I've braised them and made carnitas before.

But really, it's best for jerky. A. Lot. Of. Jerky.

For most back yard bbq folks the saying is "fat is flavor". Not in wild hogs...the fat tastes weird. And you can't really eat the old ones at all. The meat smells like a dumpster. When you take those, it's generally to cull the population or prevent damage to farms and ranches.
Burl
Player of the Month

I'm eating some deer tacos right now. The freezer is packed. Life is good.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Just had elk burger tonight.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:14 am Every handgun I own has one on it. It's basically a cheat code.
They really are.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Well, we got a couple does this week as all we had for rifle season was doe tags. Of course the last two nights we had 6 different bucks come up within 15 yards, go figure.

Muzzleloader season starts next weekend and I have a buck tag for that.
Burl
Player of the Month

Vero the half-trained wonderspaniel and I got in a couple hours this morning.
Flushed two, killed one.
Burl
Player of the Month

On the way in this morning, an old man running beagles stopped me to say "There ain't no birds in here anymore. Well, there are 3, but they're the ones printed on the sign."

Ended up with 4 snipe, one Woodcock and a bonus rabbit. Hiked a little over 7 miles. Vero does not like to retrieve scolopaceous birds but she at least flushes and helps me locate them. I'd be lost without her.