UPDATE: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:39 am I wouldn't be upset with Jim Caldwell ... might not be the flashiest of hires but would be a solid one IMO ... hell, he won with the Lions

the problem I have with the search for a new coach is the people doing the searching and making the decisions ... they need to accept the fact they are failures when it comes to selecting the most appropriate option ... so they need help ... but this time, they need to accept what they are told because they have already failed on this before ... their paid consultants said Arians was the best option, so of course they went with Trestman ... so even when they have paid to get help before, they haven't listened ... that has to change or there will simply be a repeating of mistakes

and what about Ryan Pace? does Nagy get the boot and Pace stays to hire his replacement? Pace has a pretty spotty record as a GM with some hits and a lot of misses ... but the thing I hold against him the most is his utter failure at the most important position - QB ... from his very confusing love affair with Trubisky to him bidding against himself to get Mike Glennon at a premium price for a middle of the road talent ... and then this year with his pursuit and signing of Andy Dalton when he already had a serviceable vet on the roster in Foles ... and I don't give him much credit for drafting Fields ... Fields just kind of fell into his lap where he simply had to get him

the next coach will have his work cut out for him ... those above him need to be smart enough to help him, and I think that is where things go off the rails
No thanks. Remember some of Caldwell's decision? Nagy (RIP) redux. Punting late in games, onside kick too early, and a way-to-long list of times when the Lions had less than 11 men on the field at key times. A few times than had only 8 or 9! How does that happen more than once? Complete lack of preparation and discipline.

More Nagy-ish Caldwell performance: The Lions went 4-23 in the regular season against teams that finished with a winning record under Caldwell, and 32-5 against teams that went .500 or worse.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

My preference, in order:
- Payton, if he can be pried away by Pace that is enough for me to be fine with Pace staying as long as they get a football ops guy in there as well.
- Mike Tomlin
- McDaniels
- Harbaugh even though he's a whack-a-doodle. But he's good and connected and would end up with great coordinators like he did in SF (thanks to his brother)
- Patrick Graham, because I think he has traits and a reputation that could lead to him being the next Tomlin. The HC is not a coordinator.
- Ryan Day (some major concern re: his lack of NFL experience as opposed to a guy like Graham who has great experience on both sides of the ball)
mshu7
Pro Bowler

-Shu
dplank
Hall of Famer

No thx on Jim Caldwell or Doug Pederson
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Rumours are growing that Fangio will be booted from Denver. My Harbaugh/Fangio dream team remains on the cards!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

My own uninformed opinion is that the bears are waiting to see which head coaches become available before making any moves. That’ll become clearer during the next few weeks.

Act in haste, repent at leisure.

I’ll go with IE’s top 2 picks, spot on.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:50 am My own uninformed opinion is that the bears are waiting to see which head coaches become available before making any moves. That’ll become clearer during the next few weeks.

As in, they could keep Nagy if one they like doesn't become available?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:06 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:50 am My own uninformed opinion is that the bears are waiting to see which head coaches become available before making any moves. That’ll become clearer during the next few weeks.

Well possibly but that would be the worst case scenario. There’s no point in sacking Nagy if you don’t have a viable, favourable option lined up.
If you’re forced to appoint someone who is less favourable then they will be on a fairly lengthy expensive contract.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:10 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:06 pm
Well possibly but that would be the worst case scenario. There’s no point in sacking Nagy if you don’t have a viable, favourable option lined up.
If you’re forced to appoint someone who is less favourable then they will be on a fairly lengthy expensive contract.
While this might occassionally be true, I don't think Nagy's bar is high enough to make this a viable claim. Defense of the end of year verse now, okay. But he has to be gone.
docc
Head Coach

Bears have "top men " working on this day and night... Top Men I tells ya....Top Men
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

So George about this search for a new head coach...

And here we have the Bears adding Justin Fields' scouting reports to those of all the other Bears QBs over the last 35 years...

G08
Hall of Famer

*yawn* wake me up when it's over.

I'm tired of this shit.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Caldwell is 67 and hasn't been in the game for 4 years. He is, however, a very thorough guy, good with offenses, patient and stable. He would not be my choice because of his age (hey, I'm up there but I want a younger guy). I still would like a serious look at Roman as the complete deal. Reading more on Kellen Moore, wouldn't mind if he was the guy also.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

Where is all this Caldwell stuff coming from? He’s about as boring if a choice as there could be, and he hasn’t really been any good.
Umbali
MVP

first of all I think the Sean Peyton thing will never happen. Would be ecstatic however if it did.

I like in no particular order.

Harbaugh
Roman
Tomlin
McDaniels ( yah yah i know..asshole but so is Belicheck and people do grow )
Not sure about Moore

On a side note I am not sure why peeps talk up Leftwich ( uh he has brady and arians) or why they talk up Hackett ( he has Rodgers ) ..I could be OC for them lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:29 pm So George about this search for a new head coach...

And here we have the Bears adding Justin Fields' scouting reports to those of all the other Bears QBs over the last 35 years...

This was beautiful. (Raiders is one of my favs.)

I'd just add Pace in the role of Marcus Brody. The man who could get lost in his own museum.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:02 pm *yawn* wake me up when it's over.

I'm tired of this shit.
Who's on their period NOW huh? Huh? Huh?

LOL. J/K.

Turn that frown upside down.
dave99
Assistant Coach

Dan Wiederer has a column touting Leslie Frazier. I think it's behind a paywall but aside from pointing out his obvious ties to the Bears, apparently Tony Dungy is a big fan and that combined with his record in Buffalo might put him on the map.
As for being a DC:
Dungy stressed that when he is asked to speak to NFL owners or general managers or search firms in their quests to fill head coaching vacancies, he warns them against being single-minded in the pursuit of an offensively gifted coach who can take their quarterback to a new level. Instead, he tells them, identify a leader with an ability to see a bigger picture and energize a team.

“If a coach knows how to lead the team, he can fix the quarterback,” Dungy said. “The last I heard, I don’t think Bill Belichick is a quarterbacks coach. But he has enjoyed some pretty good play at that position and he knows how to get the most out of his quarterbacks.

“Pete Carroll isn’t a quarterbacks coach but has had some teams with some incredibly dynamic offenses. Those guys know how to lead. And they know how to put people in positions to get the most out of their quarterback.”
I loved the guy as a player. As I recall he was injured on some dumbass gimmick special teams play in the Super Bowl. But he could man an island in Buddy's D and helped make the 46 work.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’d be ok with Frazier. I presented to him and that staff in Minny when he was HC, very nice guy - very cerebral and thoughtful. Took the time to sit in on the demo personally vs delegating it and then “calling me to the principles office” before leaving town like many of the high ego coaches did. This would be a Bowles or Chico type hire IMO.
IE
Hall of Famer

I really like Frazier, and there's definitely some sentimentality there. I'm not sure he's what the team needs. He's always seemed a bit quiet/introverted to be an NFL head coach. But he's got a lot of cred especially in Chicago. I'd be happy if they hired him, even if it wasn't in my top choices.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

In all fairness to Frazier, his QBs in Minny were Favre (in his last year), 2 years of Christian Ponder, and 1 year of Matt Cassel. Not exactly a murderer's row. People say too many are stuck in '85 but he's made a good name for himself as DC and I'd support the decision.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

Frazier wouldn’t excite me, and the sentimental choice rarely works in the NFL. Still, I don’t think I’d hate it.

But the shine is wearing off a lot of these guys.
IE
Hall of Famer

I've just recently come to the conclusion that it probably isn't wise to focus on "hot" coordinators on either side of the ball. Their success and focus on them as legit candidates is so often a function of the players and situation and stats being put up that invites us to overlook other important qualities.

I'd really like the Bears to get a coach who would be successful sort of in spite of JF1 and not because of him (someone who could be successful with any QB) ... a guy who will be a HC for both sides of the ball, and an overall football guy and leader and thinker. It is fine to be successful in terms of wins, losses and stats - but not a total requirement. I'm looking for evidence of leadership and innovation and respect from players and league insiders.

If a guy's stock is going up or down week over week based on how his O or D unit performs, then there are probably too many important questions left unanswered about him and his HC attributes.

Of course getting a coach with a resume of winning, prior history and longevity in the NFL is a huge deal... so those guys are very attractive and there is some good history winning NFL coaches doing it in multiple places. Beyond that I'm sort of looking for other things besides "hot" coordinators. As a matter of fact, all the "hot" coordinators fell off my list.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

IE wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:53 am I've just recently come to the conclusion that it probably isn't wise to focus on "hot" coordinators on either side of the ball. Their success and focus on them as legit candidates is so often a function of the players and situation and stats being put up that invites us to overlook other important qualities.

I'd really like the Bears to get a coach who would be successful sort of in spite of JF1 and not because of him (someone who could be successful with any QB) ... a guy who will be a HC for both sides of the ball, and an overall football guy and leader and thinker. It is fine to be successful in terms of wins, losses and stats - but not a total requirement. I'm looking for evidence of leadership and innovation and respect from players and league insiders.

If a guy's stock is going up or down week over week based on how his O or D unit performs, then there are probably too many important questions left unanswered about him and his HC attributes.

Of course getting a coach with a resume of winning, prior history and longevity in the NFL is a huge deal... so those guys are very attractive and there is some good history winning NFL coaches doing it in multiple places. Beyond that I'm sort of looking for other things besides "hot" coordinators. As a matter of fact, all the "hot" coordinators fell off my list.
Who is on your list?
IE
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:33 pm
IE wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:53 am I've just recently come to the conclusion that it probably isn't wise to focus on "hot" coordinators on either side of the ball. Their success and focus on them as legit candidates is so often a function of the players and situation and stats being put up that invites us to overlook other important qualities.

Who is on your list?
It is up above. But to save you time. Note I don't consider McDaniels to be a "hot" coordinator. His resume and pedigree is what it is.
My preference, in order:
- Payton, if he can be pried away by Pace that is enough for me to be fine with Pace staying as long as they get a football ops guy in there as well.
- Mike Tomlin
- McDaniels
- Harbaugh even though he's a whack-a-doodle. But he's good and connected and would end up with great coordinators like he did in SF (thanks to his brother)
- Patrick Graham, because I think he has traits and a reputation that could lead to him being the next Tomlin. The HC is not a coordinator.
- Ryan Day (some major concern re: his lack of NFL experience as opposed to a guy like Graham who has great experience on both sides of the ball)
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Thanks IE.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Preach it brother. Preach it.

You and I need to start ringing doorbells to spread the word.

I'm so done hearing about The Coordinator Of The Day crap.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Agreed there is a lot more to being a good head coach than being a recently good coordinator.
Z Bear
MVP

Especially one that does not really call the plays on the side of the ball they are supposedly an expert on.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:32 pm Especially one that does not really call the plays on the side of the ball they are supposedly an expert on.
You say that like you have someone specific in mind.

;)