Jim Harbaugh to return to MI

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

bbaker
Journeyman

…and the Raiders. Multiple insiders are teasing a major announcement coming soon.

This REALLY bums me out.

:(
Artbest
Player of the Month

Raiders are likely to give Harbaugh the keys to the kingdom i.e. full roster control and reporting directly to ownership. The Bears, meanwhile, are floating balloons about keeping Ryan Pace. The Bears seem destined to hire an Eberflus, Mayo, Graham, Daboll etc.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Typical Bears. We flounder with indecision while other teams pounce. It’s why we are who we are.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:16 pm Typical Bears. We flounder with indecision while other teams pounce. It’s why we are who we are.
Don't forget comfort level.
The Chicago Bears also suck as a franchise because comfort is a top factor in crucial decisions.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Get on the phone George!!!!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Harbaugh likes Carr as a QB and has a good relationship with Mayock. Supposedly he's not a Pace fan. That would royally suck if that's the reason Harbaugh jumps to the Raiders, not the Bears.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

In comparison to his peers, Harbaugh is due a big raise at Michigan. The smoke is just that, I think.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

If the Raiders win this weekend, they will be in the playoffs. Chances of them interviewing Harbaugh until they lose will be slim to none. The Bears could have the jump start on the Harbaugh recruiting if that occurs. Let's go Raiders!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Moriarty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:47 pm
dplank wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:16 pm Typical Bears. We flounder with indecision while other teams pounce. It’s why we are who we are.
The Chicago Bears also suck as a franchise because comfort is a top factor in crucial decisions.
Are the Raiders that much better of an organization?
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:54 pm
Moriarty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:47 pm

I'm not sure if they're higher or lower than Chicago, but they're certainly lower half.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:18 pm

I'm not sure if they're higher or lower than Chicago, but they're certainly lower half.
:rofl:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Scared to face his brother in a SB again. So moves to AFC.

Bottler
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:18 pm

My God.

Is it possible we're lower than the Raiders?
Artbest
Player of the Month

In the short term, the bears arguably are “lower” than the Raiders - roster not as talented, good QB versus struggling oft injured rookie QB, better stadium, the raiders are likely going to make Harbaugh the organizations top football guy whereas that moniker in Chicago belongs to the bumbling Ryan Pace.

Long term? The bear jobs upside is as great as any in all of sports
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Raiders signed Gruden to an insane contract. No press on how much, if any, they settled on him when he was terminated. They may be shy about signing another HC to a $10M + contract.

Mel Tucker set the bar with a $95M/10 year deal at Michigan State. This would have to be the starting point for University of Michigan and for the Bears if they're serious about Harbaugh. Plus removing Pace from being his boss.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
cblaz11
MVP

Apparently Harbaugh told a recruits Dad that he would entertain offers from the NFL.

Is this lining up for a Fangio/Harbaugh reunion in Chicago?
Artbest
Player of the Month

That reunion more likely in Las Vegas

quote=cblaz11 post_id=283672 time=1641674872 user_id=690]
Apparently Harbaugh told a recruits Dad that he would entertain offers from the NFL.

Is this lining up for a Fangio/Harbaugh reunion in Chicago?
[/quote]
RichH55
Hall of Famer

They gave the keys to Gruden too- didn't work great
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:22 pm They gave the keys to Gruden too- didn't work great
This. AND, let's stop treating Harbaugh like he's the absolute best option on the market and that to miss on him will doom the franchise. Personally I think luring Payton out of NO, or Bowles would be a better option than Harbaugh.
cblaz11
MVP

Man, assuming Tomlin and Shanahan stay, Harbaugh is the best option. Talk about a franchise changing HC….That’s the guy that will bring the discipline and balance to a team in dire need of it. I like Payton, but I’m not down with offering picks for him. Bowles over Harbaugh?? No….frickin…way. And I like Bowles lol
malk
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:26 am
RichH55 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:22 pm They gave the keys to Gruden too- didn't work great
This. AND, let's stop treating Harbaugh like he's the absolute best option on the market and that to miss on him will doom the franchise. Personally I think luring Payton out of NO, or Bowles would be a better option than Harbaugh.
I don't get the love with Payton? Brees is 0.621 with him despite him going to the Saints after learning the game for 4 years with San Diego. Manning for reference was 0.678 including his 3-13 season as a rookie and three head coaches. Manning had a winning season every year bar for his rookie and 2001, Brees managed it only 9 of 15 seasons. Has there ever been a worse return on a HoF QB in the modern era?
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Artbest wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:03 pm Raiders are likely to give Harbaugh the keys to the kingdom i.e. full roster control and reporting directly to ownership. The Bears, meanwhile, are floating balloons about keeping Ryan Pace. The Bears seem destined to hire an Eberflus, Mayo, Graham, Daboll etc.
Harbaugh wouldn’t be my top choice and giving a coach control of the roster rarely works out and would make me nervous but if it meant getting rid of Pace I could get on board.
otis
Pro Bowler

Maybe it's time for the other Harbaugh to move on. He looks like his message in Baltimore has fallen in deaf ears. Give him gm and coach title and let him take over. The gm promotion would save us from having to give away any picks for him.?
Dardango
Journeyman

With all due respect to Harbaugh, him getting back with the Bears gives me crazy ex vibes. You see your Ex out on the town. They look good, smell good, sound chill, you decide to get back together. It seems like old times only better, for awhile. Then, three months later, they're flushing your goldfish down the toilet, trashing your places, and keying our car. I get the nostalgia with Harbaugh. I also like that he runs the ball. It just seems like a good idea when juxtaposed against Nagy, but I get a feeling that we'd regret it later.
IotaNet
MVP

Dardango wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:08 am With all due respect to Harbaugh, him getting back with the Bears gives me crazy ex vibes. You see your Ex out on the town. They look good, smell good, sound chill, you decide to get back together. It seems like old times only better, for awhile. Then, three months later, they're flushing your goldfish down the toilet, trashing your places, and keying our car. I get the nostalgia with Harbaugh. I also like that he runs the ball. It just seems like a good idea when juxtaposed against Nagy, but I get a feeling that we'd regret it later.
The difference is that Harbaugh is an "Ex-Quarterback" vs. "Ex-Coach."

In the crazy-Ex scenario, you got rid of that Ex for some very specific reasons that you'd forgotten about over time.

We never got rid of Harbaugh as our coach so there's no "ex-coach" bad-stuff to speak of.

I know that Harbaugh has some general weirdness but the results potentially overcome that.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wulfy
MVP

Harbaugh, by Michigan fans, had been considered a disappointment from Michigan fans until he finally slayed his dragon this past November. Now, he's the hot coaching prospect. Not excited about him back in Navy and Burnt Orange.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

59-36-1 in nfl. 7-4 in playoffs. Resurrected a draft bust into nfl QB. Made a running QB a Super Bowl QB. Solid to great defenses under multiple coordinators, solid drafts. Molds offense to players strengths.

Sign me up.
wab
Mod

I'm still hoping the Bears call Harbaugh and Day. I also understand if they do, we probably won't know about it until the last moment.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:11 pm 59-36-1 in nfl. 7-4 in playoffs. Resurrected a draft bust into nfl QB. Made a running QB a Super Bowl QB. Solid to great defenses under multiple coordinators, solid drafts. Molds offense to players strengths.

Sign me up.
This.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
IotaNet
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:11 pm ... Made a running QB a Super Bowl QB. Solid to great defenses under multiple coordinators, solid drafts. Molds offense to players strengths.
I've said this before and I'll say it again -- I think Harbaugh is kind of strange (see video below) and I think his approach grates on NFL-level players after a while BUT ...

He took Kaepernick to within a couple of plays of winning a Super Bowl and I think JF1 is a better version of Kaep. I also think he understands Chicago Bears fans and Chicago Bears culture.

As much as it pains me to endorse anything from Ann Arbor, I think Harbaugh could do great things here.

“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell