Chicago Bears fire HC Matt Nagy & GM Ryan Pace

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:01 pm
These idiots are going to hire Tony Dungy as GM and Leslie Frazier as Coach.
My money is on Jim Caldwell.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Well, it's over. Not a ton of takeaways here, but I generally liked what I heard. Ted is basically moved to a pure business role, but George was honest when he said he'd seek advice from him on things (of course he would, that doesn't mean Ted is driving football decisions any more than Virginia is, who I'm sure he also gets advice from). GM owns the football role entirely and he correctly points out the logical flaw that Cooler and I have been discussing where at some point there is a guy in charge of football who gets hired by the ownership - you simply can't avoid that. I was happy to hear him say that he would pull the trigger on a HC if one jumped out at them before hiring the GM, but I'm also confused how that will actually happen. I mean, if they are interviewing GM's, when are they interviewing HC's?? Seems off, unless maybe he has a big coach out there (harbaugh pls) that would warrant jumping the line and getting an interview direct from the top?

I like his general no BS demeanor and felt he answered questions honestly. I loved that he called out Ro and Monty, they were absolutely our heart and soul out there all year and I love that he sees that. I also loved that he called out, on the other end, the fact that our defense failed to touch down WR's in Week 1 and then again in Week 17 - that's a coaching problem/intensity problem.

I'm very happy Polian is involved, that can only help us IMO. I don't get the diversity bit but agree it's a nothingburger. I want them to move fast here, be aggressive lining up your interviews and be assertive in your decision making.

George stepped up and removed Ryan Pace. I'm sure that was difficult and was something many here didn't think he'd do. He deserves credit for this IMO.

GO BEARS!!
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

If Olin didn’t tell the whole story George should have provided those details instead of just implying he’s a liar. That was very weird.

Disappointing press conference.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:26 pm
UOK wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:20 pm

Except that George said minutes ago that he'll rely on Ted's help in making the GM hiring decision, so...
Well he said Ted will be involved because he's in charge of the contract. He said that Ted is welcome to give counsel, but that the decision on the hire is his and his alone.
So nothing has changed! Great, I am relieved.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:10 pm How incompetent can you be, to not feel confident in interviewing and researching your own candidates?

It's actually hysterical. You essentially have three things to grade. The resume, the interview, and the scheme/plan.
Remember a couple of hours ago when I said we should be careful what we wish for? Well this is what I meant.
UOK
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:08 pm So to summarise after all that:

The Bears are doing exactly what they did last time around. George and Ted, with the help of an outside consultant who's been out of the game for some years, are going to seek out candidates and carry out interviews for the new GM. The only difference this time is that the team's Diversity & Inclusion Officer will be joining them to ensure they give all candidates a fair shake, implying that perhaps they didn't manage do that previously.

The only structural change is that the new GM will report directly to George instead of through Ted. George has got to learn how that is going to work and will rely on the new GM to teach him!

This is not exactly filling me with confidence I have to say.
  • Led with Jeff Dickerson's death and used it somehow to lecture fans for booing Nagy's kid, for some reason. This was scripted.
  • Ted Phillips is still very much in charge but they're going to pretend he's not, and hope people accept that this is somehow progress.
  • Bill Polian will be virtually 98% responsible for who will hire the next GM. He is 80 years old and has been out of the NFL for over a decade.
  • McCaskey says he's just a fan and not a football person, but will ultimately be the top person in the organization, because obviously.
  • The board (re: his mother) said he can keep his job as chairman.
  • Virginia was very, VERY disappointed last year.
  • Said Olin Kreutz is a liar.
  • Ted Philips feebly chimed in about the Arlington Heights stuff, said it was going to take a good long while.
  • Called out Eddie Jackson for some bad plays. OK?
  • Will use Bill Polian's book as the bible for hiring their next GM/HC.

What a goddamn joke.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:12 pm
I'm very happy Polian is involved, that can only help us IMO. I don't get the diversity bit but agree it's a nothingburger. I want them to move fast here, be aggressive lining up your interviews and be assertive in your decision making.

George stepped up and removed Ryan Pace. I'm sure that was difficult and was something many here didn't think he'd do. He deserves credit for this IMO.

GO BEARS!!
I imagine Polian will be as much a positive in the next GM search as Ernie Acorsi was last time.
Last edited by Hema2.0 on Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Well that PC was a dumpster fire.

Ted doesn’t regret hiring Pace and Nagy.

Same useless clowns doing the hiring. When is the Penny going to drop that the problem starts with McCaskey and Phillips?

Sell the damn team
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:08 pm So to summarise after all that:

The Bears are doing exactly what they did last time around. George and Ted, with the help of an outside consultant who's been out of the game for some years, are going to seek out candidates and carry out interviews for the new GM. The only difference this time is that the team's Diversity & Inclusion Officer will be joining them to ensure they give all candidates a fair shake, implying that perhaps they didn't manage do that previously.

The only structural change is that the new GM will report directly to George instead of through Ted. George has got to learn how that is going to work and will rely on the new GM to teach him!

This is not exactly filling me with confidence I have to say.
You are absolutely right, HRS - I forgot how dismal George and Ted can be. They should have just put out a written statement and got on with the task at hand. Why the deja vu torture?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The GM will report directly to Georgie boy. The same man who said he was uncomfortable talking about QB selection with McNagy?

What a shit-show

wab
Mod

I have a very disappointing feeling that it's going to be Dungy as GM and Frazier as HC. Pep Hamilton will probably return as OC and they will likely keep Chris Rumph and Michael Pitre around in some capacity. Who's ready for Henry Burris to be the QB Coach??
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Dungy was pushing hard for Jax to hire Caldwell last night.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don't get the hate being fired around. Also, am I the only one who would be thrilled with Dungy as GM?
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:38 pm I don't get the hate being fired around. Also, am I the only one who would be thrilled with Dungy as GM?
I respect the hell out of Dungy, but I still don't know how thrilled I'd be. I'm just not super interested in getting the old Colts band back together.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Otis Day wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:30 pm Dungy was pushing hard for Jax to hire Caldwell last night.
So will Tanisha
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:38 pm I don't get the hate being fired around. Also, am I the only one who would be thrilled with Dungy as GM?
You probably are. It’s not Y2K anymore.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I’m not against it.

My only concern about Dungy, and I know this is for GM, but will that being back the Tampa 2 defense. Didn’t a bunch of teams start to figure that out when Lovie was here?

Very Stupid Question. Are there any good teams running the Tampa 2 today?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:38 pm I don't get the hate being fired around.
It’s based on the lies and the BS plus the fact that these people have learnt NOTHING.

They’re using an 80 yr old who’s been out of NFL for a decade to pick their GM and HC.
They’re using someone called Soup to pick their new GM and HC.
Ted Philips doesn’t regret hiring Pace or Nagy.
The new GM reports to George even though George felt “uncomfortable” giving his opinion on QB selection to Nagy.

These idiots need to accept they are the primary reason the Bears keep fucking up. Hire someone who knows what they’re doing and get out of the fucking way.

dplank
Hall of Famer

For everyone throwing a fit over the press conference today, I just have to ask: Isn't firing both Pace and Nagy exactly what we wanted George to do today?

I don't know what else anyone was expecting, but we got the news we wanted. He also made a small change in the org structure, moving Phillips out of football ops and bringing that under his purview instead. The only thing he didn't do was install a Trace Armstrong type and instead said that he'll favor a strong GM that reports to ownership - it's really semantic.

I just don't understand why people are upset here, the Bears did what we all wanted them to do. Let's see what happens next!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:47 pm For everyone throwing a fit over the press conference today, I just have to ask: Isn't firing both Pace and Nagy exactly what we wanted George to do today?

I don't know what else anyone was expecting, but we got the news we wanted. He also made a small change in the org structure, moving Phillips out of football ops and bringing that under his purview instead. The only thing he didn't do was install a Trace Armstrong type and instead said that he'll favor a strong GM that reports to ownership - it's really semantic.

I just don't understand why people are upset here, the Bears did what we all wanted them to do. Let's see what happens next!
They basically said “we’ve sacked Pace and Nagy for failing but we don’t regret hiring them”.

Translation - we’ve got no intention of doing anything different and we will reward failure again.

Artbest
Player of the Month

Dungy's not going to be the GM - he's not going to want to go through that grind. Morocco Brown? He's a real possibility.

wab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:30 pm I have a very disappointing feeling that it's going to be Dungy as GM and Frazier as HC. Pep Hamilton will probably return as OC and they will likely keep Chris Rumph and Michael Pitre around in some capacity. Who's ready for Henry Burris to be the QB Coach??
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:47 pm For everyone throwing a fit over the press conference today, I just have to ask: Isn't firing both Pace and Nagy exactly what we wanted George to do today?

I don't know what people expected either. Most NFL owners are bad at this part.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

It typical Bears fan fashion, everyone is either freaking out about what hasn't happened yet, or crying foul about something they wished for three weeks earlier. This is the product of decades of abuse by your favorite football franchise front office.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

You’re right and thanks for being the voice of reason. Expecting anything different from this ownership was wishful thinking. I suppose we’re all disappointed as this process will have to lean on Lady Luck to attain some of the established success winning organizations have been capable of.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I expected:
-Ownership of the mistakes in the recent past (Nagy and Pace)
- Realisation that if you don’t change you will get the same results
- A sincere apology to the fans for failing to meet expectations again.

But then I’m a naïve optimist.

Instead we got circling of the wagons and some old fools saying “don’t worry, we’re consulting some older fools and we got this”.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

wiNDycityfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:42 pm
Otis Day wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:30 pm Dungy was pushing hard for Jax to hire Caldwell last night.
So will Tanisha
Why? Did they work with Caldwell previously?
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
IotaNet
MVP

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:55 pm

It typical Bears fan fashion, everyone is either freaking out about what hasn't happened yet, or crying foul about something they wished for three weeks earlier. This is the product of decades of abuse by your favorite football franchise front office.
^^^ This right here.
It sucks because we've been down this road before but truthfully, we all need to chill, and let things run their course.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:58 pm I expected:
-Ownership of the mistakes in the recent past (Nagy and Pace)
- Realisation that if you don’t change you will get the same results
- A sincere apology to the fans for failing to meet expectations again.

But then I’m a naïve optimist.

Instead we got circling of the wagons and some old fools saying “don’t worry, we’re consulting some older fools and we got this”.
With a little sprinkle of ‘insult a former player’ and a dash of ‘use beloved beat reporters death as an opportunity to admonish high school kids about their behavior’.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:50 pm Dungy's not going to be the GM - he's not going to want to go through that grind. Morocco Brown? He's a real possibility.

wab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:30 pm I have a very disappointing feeling that it's going to be Dungy as GM and Frazier as HC. Pep Hamilton will probably return as OC and they will likely keep Chris Rumph and Michael Pitre around in some capacity. Who's ready for Henry Burris to be the QB Coach??
Given that we all know this round of hirings will most likely end in failure in about 3 or 4 years then yeah I want Morocco Brown just for the funny name.

In fact, once the hiring is announced we need to start a Fire Morocco Brown thread.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:03 pm
Artbest wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:50 pm Dungy's not going to be the GM - he's not going to want to go through that grind. Morocco Brown? He's a real possibility.

Given that we all know this round of hirings will most likely end in failure in about 3 or 4 years then yeah I want Morocco Brown just for the funny name.

In fact, once the hiring is announced we need to start a Fire Morocco Brown thread.
Soup Campbell will recommend Morocco Brown