Chicago Bears fire HC Matt Nagy & GM Ryan Pace

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:25 am
wab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:47 pm

How are you going to say that the Bears need to ditch Mack and Quinn and then in the very next paragraph acknowledge that the Bears were forced to play guys that weren't starter quality?

I understand that you are obsessed with contracts and the cap, but the Bears need talent too. I understand moving on from Quinn if you can get a decent pick for him, because Gipson is waiting in the wings. I really don't understand moving on from Mack simply because you (as a fan) don't like his contract.
One is in evaluating Desai over the past year. I.e. if you have significant holes in your starting roster then they're going to be exposed. The other is evaluating the roster over a longer term with a view to becoming a team that makes the playoffs regularly and gets 2+ playoff wins not infrequently (admittedly that's shooting for the stars). For the roster I don't see us with any chance of getting 2+ playoff wins next year and in 2023 when it might be possible Mack and Quinn will be pretty old and with a decent chance of being shot or at least much diminished. So it'd be selling as high as we can and clearing out cap space ready to rebuild with players at a more suitable age for where the team is. Short term pain for, hopefully, long term gain.

On the press conference, didn't watch myself but I wouldn't read that much into it anyway. It's a really odd position to hire, perhaps like hiring a CTO or something where there isn't really anyone above with the technical knowledge to assess. When people look at the franchises that are considered good at this kind of thing it usually boils down to them getting one hire right and then that lasting for ages giving the impression of long term competency when it was just that one initial decision. That's compounded when the one good hire is a GM who then uses their ability to succession plan later on.

Now I suspect I'll be disappointed in the end as our ownership seems like the sort to go with a conservative choice of picking a good talent evaluator rather than a more moneyball type that I'd prefer but that's, I think, a different argument.
I have an open mind about trading Mack and Quinn provided that it's for above average or elite OL help. I would rather not trade them for picks unless those said picks were high 1s that I could use to draft an elite OL prospect.

In that scenario, what about Jenkins and Borom?

The best player plays. Period. If you can upgrade a position, you do it. We don't owe these people anything.

I'd move Borom inside and Jenkins to another T spot or him inside to G also. Then have a competition with Whitehair and Daniels. The losers get traded or cut.

We have a fundamental problem with our cap. Too much money on 30+ year old defensive players in a league driven by younger offensive players.
malk
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:48 am
malk wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:25 am

One is in evaluating Desai over the past year. I.e. if you have significant holes in your starting roster then they're going to be exposed. The other is evaluating the roster over a longer term with a view to becoming a team that makes the playoffs regularly and gets 2+ playoff wins not infrequently (admittedly that's shooting for the stars). For the roster I don't see us with any chance of getting 2+ playoff wins next year and in 2023 when it might be possible Mack and Quinn will be pretty old and with a decent chance of being shot or at least much diminished. So it'd be selling as high as we can and clearing out cap space ready to rebuild with players at a more suitable age for where the team is. Short term pain for, hopefully, long term gain.

On the press conference, didn't watch myself but I wouldn't read that much into it anyway. It's a really odd position to hire, perhaps like hiring a CTO or something where there isn't really anyone above with the technical knowledge to assess. When people look at the franchises that are considered good at this kind of thing it usually boils down to them getting one hire right and then that lasting for ages giving the impression of long term competency when it was just that one initial decision. That's compounded when the one good hire is a GM who then uses their ability to succession plan later on.

Now I suspect I'll be disappointed in the end as our ownership seems like the sort to go with a conservative choice of picking a good talent evaluator rather than a more moneyball type that I'd prefer but that's, I think, a different argument.
I have an open mind about trading Mack and Quinn provided that it's for above average or elite OL help. I would rather not trade them for picks unless those said picks were high 1s that I could use to draft an elite OL prospect.

In that scenario, what about Jenkins and Borom?

The best player plays. Period. If you can upgrade a position, you do it. We don't owe these people anything.

I'd move Borom inside and Jenkins to another T spot or him inside to G also. Then have a competition with Whitehair and Daniels. The losers get traded or cut.

We have a fundamental problem with our cap. Too much money on 30+ year old defensive players in a league driven by younger offensive players.
Obviously I could be wrong but I'm basically saying that Mack and Quinn won't be good enough when we actually need it so best to move on asap and keep resources for later. If that meant only getting a couple of 2nds, hell, even thirds then it is what it is.

For the oline we need to keep looking. Sooner rather than later you want it to be settled and we need to see what we actually have with Jenkins and Borom but if a tackle comes up that we like this off season then by all means pull the trigger and move someone around. But I'd bring Daniels back if his number isn't too high, solid but unspectacular players are where the value is at!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
malk
Head Coach

BearsFanInMN wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:31 pm Thought this was interesting article when looking at coaching hires and worth posting on one of these threads.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/1/6/ ... d-mistakes
Interesting read, I liked this bit:
The data showed that teams with GMs from scouting backgrounds won less than those with GMs who had a salary cap and football operations background
It's pretty much what I've been hoping for though I don't think our ownership is one that will be driven by curiosity over orthodoxy.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:48 am We have a fundamental problem with our cap. Too much money on 30+ year old defensive players in a league driven by younger offensive players.
This simply isn't true TMP. Mack is 30 and Quinn is 31. They're the only two over 30 who are under contract on defense for next season and they're highly productive players playing a premium position.

The Bears may have the oldest roster in the league this season, but that's been inflated by having a handful of stop-gap older players. Here are all those 30 and over:
  • Peters (39) - Last minute emergency signing for 1 year
  • Graham (35) - Last year of 2 year contract
  • Irvin (34) - In-season depth signing due to injuries
  • Hunt (34) - Practice squad player elevated to roster
  • Dalton (34) - 1 year stop-gap QB
  • Scales (33) - Long snapper, age doesn't matter
  • Hicks (32) - Last year of 4 year contract
  • Foles (32) - Back up QB
  • Quinn (31) - Pro Bowl edge rusher who broke the franchise single-season sack record
  • Danny Trevathan (31) - Former quality starter who now looks done
  • Goodwin (31) - Cheap veteran
  • Khalil Mack (30) - Elite edge rusher when healthy
  • Santos (30) - Kicker, age doesn't matter
  • Ogletree (30) - Cheap veteran
  • O'Donnell (30) - Punter, age doesn't matter
  • Jones (30) - Backup ILB/ST
The only ones who are certain to be returning next season are Mack and Quinn (unless the new GM trades them) and Santos. O'Donnell and Scales could well return too and Foles remains under contract as the backup QB although the team would trade him if they could. Age isn't a factor for the special teams players or for the backup QB. The only bad contract is Trevathan's, but he can be designated a 1 June cut to save $3.5m on the cap this year and $4.1m in 2023.

An ageing team is not going to be a problem the new GM faces.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:25 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:48 am We have a fundamental problem with our cap. Too much money on 30+ year old defensive players in a league driven by younger offensive players.
This simply isn't true TMP. Mack is 30 and Quinn is 31. They're the only two over 30 who are under contract on defense for next season and they're highly productive players playing a premium position.

The Bears may have the oldest roster in the league this season, but that's been inflated by having a handful of stop-gap older players. Here are all those 30 and over:
  • Quinn (31) - Pro Bowl edge rusher who broke the franchise single-season sack record
The only ones who are certain to be returning next season are Mack and Quinn (unless the new GM trades them) and Santos. O'Donnell and Scales could well return too and Foles remains under contract as the backup QB although the team would trade him if they could. Age isn't a factor for the special teams players or for the backup QB. The only bad contract is Trevathan's, but he can be designated a 1 June cut to save $3.5m on the cap this year and $4.1m in 2023.

Correct. By 2023, we will actually have A LOT of cap flexibility.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Sportrac has EJax at 30 for the 2022 season with a hit of $15M. That’s how I’m getting to the total.

I still think 30% of the cap on three defensive players over 30 is an issue.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Bears, NFL and Pro Football Reference all have Jackson listed as age 28 and the latter states his date of birth is 10 December 1993, so he doesn't turn 29 until towards the end of next season.

It's not like Mack and Quinn are way over 30 either. They should have a few good years left and pass rusher is the premium position on defense.

It will all depend on what the new GM decides needs to be done and the decision on who that GM will be may in part be influenced by George's desire to win a Super Bowl for his mother before she passes. Candidates who suggest they can turn things around quickly may improve their chances of being hired. That would probably mean hanging on to the team's few top-quality players.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

So the clueless Ted Phillips is removed from having the GM answer to him. Instead, he's going to sit in on the interview for the job. Instead, the GM will be answering directly to George McCaskey, who has been nothing short of a buffoon since he took over running the team. This team still doesn't get that maybe an experienced football person would be better running the team and George just writes the checks. I hope we're not having this discussion again in 4 years.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

There's like a dozen threads for this my dude.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Yes, but don't forget that the board of directors (majority named McCaskey) approves of George's performance. C'mon man. There's nothing wrong at Halas Hall. :frustrated:
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Z Bear
MVP

That is literally what George said, that football person is the GM and he will be judged on his win loss record. At some point someone in ownership has to judge whoever is in charge of running football operations. Does not matter how many layers of people you put between coach and ownership, eventually the top of the football foodchain has to report to ownership.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:05 am So the clueless Ted Phillips is removed from having the GM answer to him. Instead, he's going to sit in on the interview for the job. Instead, the GM will be answering directly to George McCaskey, who has been nothing short of a buffoon since he took over running the team. This team still doesn't get that maybe an experienced football person would be better running the team and George just writes the checks. I hope we're not having this discussion again in 4 years.
I think you and I both know this discussion will happen again in 4 years. Maybe sooner.

I never really watched that much video of George McCaskey before and then I saw yesterday.

You can see where the 40 years of futility comes from.

In my line of work I see what happens when the second and third generation of a company take over. It’s just like Tommy Boy without the happy ending. The founder works his ass off building something worthwhile. The founder dies or retires then the kids take over. The kids are a bunch of morons just like George.

At least in the private sector the kids usually cash out to an investment group and go back to being flunkies. In this case the McCaskey’s cling onto this team like a raccoon with a shiny piece of foil.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:05 am So the clueless Ted Phillips is removed from having the GM answer to him. Instead, he's going to sit in on the interview for the job. Instead, the GM will be answering directly to George McCaskey, who has been nothing short of a buffoon since he took over running the team. This team still doesn't get that maybe an experienced football person would be better running the team and George just writes the checks. I hope we're not having this discussion again in 4 years.
George McCaskey is one of the owners and the face of the McCaskeys. No matter who is hired they answer to George. He runs the team. If they do this experienced football person that person still answers to George. Being mad about that is a complete waste of energy my friend. Every business in the world the owner has final say. Why would the Bears be different?
UOK
Site Admin

Merging related threads.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

HurricaneBear wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:28 am
George McCaskey is one of the owners and the face of the McCaskeys. No matter who is hired they answer to George. He runs the team. If they do this experienced football person that person still answers to George. Being mad about that is a complete waste of energy my friend. Every business in the world the owner has final say. Why would the Bears be different?
I’d say the issue is George McCaskey admits he’s uncomfortable with the role. When Nagy was getting crucified for he apparently asked George for his advice.

And instead of telling him, “Play Fields you idiot,” or “we hired you for a reason do what you think is best,” he told Nagy that the question made him uncomfortable. Imagine being under an insane amount of pressure and you’re big boss telling you that.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:25 am
BearsFanInMN wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:31 pm Thought this was interesting article when looking at coaching hires and worth posting on one of these threads.

The data showed that teams with GMs from scouting backgrounds won less than those with GMs who had a salary cap and football operations background
It's pretty much what I've been hoping for though I don't think our ownership is one that will be driven by curiosity over orthodoxy.

Same here.

Good article.

No surprise that analytic/strategic backgrounds are superior to "we know football" guys.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Say what you want, but these guys kept it classy.

Pace:

Nagy:
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:34 pm Say what you want, but these guys kept it classy.

Pace:

Nagy:
For sure. Nagy fought tooth and nail right to the end, with class as you pointed out. Says a lot about the man. I hope they both land on their feet soon.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'm surprised at you, dismissing the roster age.

"The roster age can't be lowered" isn't the only (or even a top) problem with having an old roster. The problems are:

When you have an old roster and you purge lots of them to get younger, you get lots of holes. More than you can quickly and competently fill.
When you have an old roster and you purge lots of them to get younger, you often have to eat significant money to make them go away.
When you have an old roster and you purge lots of them to get younger, you lose continuity.
When you have an old roster and you purge lots of them to get younger, you frequently lose your leadership.
When you have an old roster and you purge lots of them to get younger, that means there are fewer young players with upside left on the roster that you would typically hope to be taking steps forward next year.
When you have an old roster, you can't always purge all of them, because you've given some of them contracts you can't really get out of, even though you'd like to, at this point.

Sure, Peters is leaving and lowering avg age - but do we have someone of equal quality to step in? (or can we buy equal quality with the 1M savings?)
Graham is leaving and lowering avg age - but we still have to pay him 5M next year to contribute nothing.
Dalton is leaving and lowering avg age - but we still have to pay him 5M next year to contribute nothing.
Hicks is leaving and lowering avg age - and that's going to leave a major hole (he's a top 5 most impactful player on defense, arguably much higher)
Trevathan is leaving and lowering avg age - but we still have to pay him 9M next year to contribute nothing.
Foles probably isn't leaving - so we're stuck overpaying him again (or paying 9M to go away).
Quinn is performing and worth his contract - but will that still be true when this team can compete again, or are we going to dump money down a hole for a while, until he slows down?
Mack is performing but not really worth his contract - so best case, we're temporarily stuck spending badly and worst he is slowing down by the time the team can compete again.
Hunt & Irvin won't be missed - but they weren't even on the roster at the start of the year, when the Bears already had the oldest team in the league, either

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:34 pm Say what you want, but these guys kept it classy.

Pace:

Nagy:
They are.

(Although Pace trying to sell his accomplishments during his tenure (yeah, yeah, I understand the motivation & need, really) was pretty cringey & nauseating.)

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I notice Nagy didn’t thank the fans so he knows what he can do with his statement.

Those fans paid your wages chump
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:16 pm I notice Nagy didn’t thank the fans so he knows what he can do with his statement.

Truth
wab
Mod

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:16 pm I notice Nagy didn’t thank the fans so he knows what he can do with his statement.

Fans are also total assholes.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:39 pm

Yeah of course they represent the spectrum of personalities that exist in society.

Bottom line, if you don’t thank the fans then you’re a spiteful little egomaniac.

Good riddance to a useless prick.

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Truth.

But the fans do pay for the whole enchilada, and he missed a chance to be gracious in not thanking them. Maybe it has to do with the obnoxious ruckus some assholes made at his kid's game. It was a pretty noticeable omission.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

He thanked George, Ted and Virginia and they’re the very definition of assholes.

Didn’t thank the fans - what a prick.

wab
Mod

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:49 pm
He thanked George, Ted and Virginia and they’re the very definition of assholes.

What exactly does he have to thank them for?
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

malk wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:25 am

Sadly, I agree. I do see argument that scouting background in and of itself isn't going to give you the $ and other pieces. Which I think would cause you to believe you got the right pick or player than leaning on consensus would and overpaying for players. The Cap and Ops side would in theory steer you more to consensus.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:57 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:49 pm

What exactly does he have to thank them for?
Supporting the team, supporting his players on the field.
Sacrificing their time week in week out to support the team. Doesn’t he value that?
How about paying good money to watch him fuck it up with shitty calls every week.

The owners are just custodians, the fans are the lifeblood of any sports team.

Pace thanked the fans. Nagy didn’t.

Who’s the classy one?