General Manager/Head Coach Interview Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:38 pm Give me the nerds.

Seriously though this early GM list has me a little uncomfortable with how green the candidates look. Maybe it's overcompensation from Pace's failure, but I worry a bit about the young wunderkind approach and a guy not being fully prepared for the entire operation wiht the support George can give.

But at the same time, give me the nerds.
This guy is young and a fast riser but Morocco Brown has over 20 years of front office experience with multiple teams.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

More likely to be Bill & Ted's (and George's) Bogus Journey.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

According to the DaBearsBlog the Bears have requested an interview with Jeff Ireland for GM.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Seriously though this early GM list has me a little uncomfortable with how green the candidates look. Maybe it's overcompensation from Pace's failure, but I worry a bit about the young wunderkind approach and a guy not being fully prepared for the entire operation wiht the support George can give.

I'm on the nerd bandwagon as well. Throw in an Ivy League school and you have a winner. :-D
dplank
Hall of Famer

Can Bill Pollian hire himself?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Good Lord. The shine come off of this guy pretty quick when the Bills tanked in the middle of the season. You can't point directly to him as part of the problem, but it didn't seem that he was the solution to their woes either.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:03 pm

This guy is young and a fast riser but Morocco Brown has over 20 years of front office experience with multiple teams.
Brown is pretty experienced (and apparently the obligatory "used to scout for Bears candidate") but both the CLE names are very young and green.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Yeah. Not necessarily the problem, but appears to have righted it at the end and seemed to be key in Allen’s development.

I find him intriguing as he’s not a one year wonder per se, but was under more than one coaching tree: Bellichek, Reid, Rivera/Lovie by extension, and probably more which is something I’d prefer.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

So Bill Polian is going to talk to a young black analytics guy from Princeton? And that’s gonna go well? Ok
xyt in the discord chats
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:57 am So Bill Polian is going to talk to a young black analytics guy from Princeton? And that’s gonna go well? Ok
Honestly it's good. Polian is a valuable guy to have around even if he's antiquated in areas. But his word isn't gospel. How Kwesi or anyone analytically minded deals with Polian should be part of George's analysis.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I like the diversity of background. I like that he's a Erhardt-Perkins offense guy (same O system Patriots run). I like a young raw talented QB progressed under him. I like he's proven as an offensive mind, multiple years under various D coaches, not one year as OC under one of best O minds ever.

I'd be happy with him, no doubt. Not sure he's my top top choice but a top contender for me.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:23 pm Is it still the case that Frazier can’t interview until the Bills are out of the playoffs or am I remembering wrong?
I have to refresh, but I think he can interview after their Rd1 game. If they play on through SB nothing else can be done the rest of the postseason.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Just can't help but feel it's a cringey forced 85 Bears hire.

His Ds when he was a HC sucked, but he's had lots of strong Ds as coordinator. Hard to blame too much of his W-L failure as a head coach with the QBs they had.

But I can't shake the underwhelming feeling.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

This man thinks he can get soup?

Please step out of line.

You're wasting everyone's time.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Why do we want another QB Whisperer type after dealing with the McNagy Shit Show for 4 years?

Daboll would be the HC for the entire team. He can't sit there with Fields and be 1 on 1 with him the entire time.

This is why the QB Coach and OC are so damn important.

No more Coordinator Of The Month types. Let's learn from McNagy.

No soup for Daboll.
malk
Head Coach

Wounded Bear wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:46 pm
malk wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:18 pm I really don't want a player talent evaluator for our GM this time, or at least not someone primarily focused on that. Scouting is a team effort and there's a lot of it in every building, plus it will never be an exact science. I really hope our next GM is more focused on how to get the most out of a roster and how coaching can influence that.
Not me. The GM is ultimately the guy who pulls the trigger on draft day and when evaluating FA talent. He’d better have a damn good eye for on field talent. Certainly I want him to evaluate coaching talent as well, but once the coaching staff has been chosen, getting the most out of the existing roster is their job. And if you have chosen legitimate coaching staff, the GM needs to fuck off and stay in his lane.

I love the way the Colts have built their team over the past number of years. Very intrigued by Morocco Brown. Also interested in a Dusty Mauve with white trim…but that is a conversation for another time.
The thing is that it is so much more than the GM's eye. Before players even get to the GM to assess they've gone through multiple levels of scouting and assessment and the overall ability of a team to draft well is a combination of it all.

Drafting in the NFL just isn't that good overall, probably because it just can't be. If you look at the list of QBs this year you see Brady from the 6th, Carr from the 2nd, Prescott from the 4th, Wilson in the 3rd, Rodgers slipped to 24th in the 1st, Jackson to 32nd. All misses by virtually every team in the league in the most scrutinised position in sports. None of which is to say that it isn't important but focusing on an area of the job with perhaps the least personal control (where you pick, quality of the draft, injuries, personal conduct etc. etc. etc.) is a mistake imo. Plus you can hire a director of colleague scouting to make up for any deficiencies there.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

I think everyone really needs to really listen to how he speaks. He really is a good leader, teacher and motivator. He has a great personality and it is hard for anyone not to like him. Listen to his press conferences.

Don't discount the connection to the 85' Bears, its a good thing fellas, not bad. Not sure why so many act like its too meatball to want a guy who had success here and knows what it is like to win in Chicago.

Keep in mind, many players coming out of college are still very young men and the locker room is always in need a good mentor who is almost a father figure to them. Frazier can be that guy, much like Lovie Smith was.

Yes, his time with Minnie was unsuccessful but it is clear he has learned and grown tremendously as a coach since then. He is one of the most experienced candidates and has proven to be successful as a coach when considering his whole body of work in the league.

The one and only concern for me is... How exactly he could gain the right offensive minds to help build a winning team to complement Justin Fields and the group of young players we have on the roster??
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:38 am Why do we want another QB Whisperer type after dealing with the McNagy Shit Show for 4 years?

Daboll would be the HC for the entire team. He can't sit there with Fields and be 1 on 1 with him the entire time.

No soup for Daboll.
Can't overreact so far in the other direction because of Nagy. If you can grab a great offensive coach who actually coaches offense well that's still incredibly valuable. Yes he has to tick the other areas. And make sure he can actually follow through on thr offense goods (something Nagy hadn't really proven)
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:43 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:38 am Why do we want another QB Whisperer type after dealing with the McNagy Shit Show for 4 years?

No soup for Daboll.
Can't overreact so far in the other direction because of Nagy. If you can grab a great offensive coach who actually coaches offense well that's still incredibly valuable. Yes he has to tick the other areas. And make sure he can actually follow through on thr offense goods (something Nagy hadn't really proven)
Agreed. Nagy talked himself into a job he had no business being in. His body of work prior to the Bears was very limited. Not so much for Daboll. But he's not in my top 5.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:07 pm So I see all these interviews, but if you are the Bears don't you want the GM in place to do interviews before you start Head Coach Interviews otherwise you run the risk of a bad match between coach and GM?

Or do you hire the coach and let him select the GM to be a Trend Setting Franchise?

Or hire them both separately, put them in a padded room, and tell them to work out a football roster/identity philosophy by morning?
Under normal circumstances you’re 100% right, but if it means I can get a Harbaugh or Day right now without waiting for the GM then I hit those guys now.

If gets down to the third tier candidates yeah sure hire the GM first.

While Georgie Porgie is filling out the GM and HC roles he needs to be on hands and knees begging Vic to take the DC job.

No HC or GM worth a damn would have a problem with Vic Fucking Fangio as their DC.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:29 pm According to the DaBearsBlog the Bears have requested an interview with Jeff Ireland for GM.
He came from the Saints like Pace.

The Saints fattened themselves up by having Drew Brees.

I’d rather interview Kathy Ireland instead.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I think it would clear up a lot of clutter, if we would list who we AREN'T setting up with rather than who we plan to interview.

:welcome:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

SpongeBob gets his hands on the Bears interview list...

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

GM Candidates:

Rick Smith
Jeff Ireland
(These two were reported by Dabearsblog but I haven’t seen them corroborated by mainstream journalists).
Glenn Cook
Kwesi Adofo-Mensah
Morocco Brown
Ed Dodds

Head Coaches:

Doug Pederson
Byron Leftwich
Brian Daboll
Leslie Frazier
Todd Bowles
Nathaniel Hackett
Matt Eberflus
Brian Flores

Edit: The Bears have reportedly requested an interview with Ed Dodds and Brian Flores.
Last edited by TheWorldBreaker on Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:07 pm So I see all these interviews, but if you are the Bears don't you want the GM in place to do interviews before you start Head Coach Interviews otherwise you run the risk of a bad match between coach and GM?

Or do you hire the coach and let him select the GM to be a Trend Setting Franchise?

Or hire them both separately, put them in a padded room, and tell them to work out a football roster/identity philosophy by morning?
If they really wanted Harbaugh I think they would have to hire him first considering his issues in SF.

But if the rumors about Pace being forced to hire Fox are true or have some truth to them their approach is a little concerning.

For example, if they hire Morocco Brown he might want to hire Matt Eberflus but Bill Polian’s sons went to high school with Daboll and Polian apparently got Daboll a job as a GA for Saban, so he might push a guy he has a personal connection with over who the GM wants.

Then if Eberflus went onto be a great coach and Daboll turned out to be a fat Nagy that would be Arians Trestman all over again and really frustrating.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dave99
Assistant Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:20 pm At the rate they're going, George, Ted, Bill, the Diversity & Inclusion Officer and the other one are going to interview every assistant GM, VP of player personnel, VP of college scouting and co-ordinator in the league plus every former executive turned TV pundit and currently unemployed former head coach too!
If their plan is to have five people in the room (or zoom call) on each interview and then make some sense of the chaos, I can pretty much guarantee failure.
If the plan is have two or three or four screening interviews before King George sits down then expect a decision sometime in the late summer.
If these idiots hadn't been born and/or stumbled into their positions, they would be hard pressed to hold the job of a greeter at Wal-Mart.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:47 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:20 pm At the rate they're going, George, Ted, Bill, the Diversity & Inclusion Officer and the other one are going to interview every assistant GM, VP of player personnel, VP of college scouting and co-ordinator in the league plus every former executive turned TV pundit and currently unemployed former head coach too!
If their plan is to have five people in the room (or zoom call) on each interview and then make some sense of the chaos, I can pretty much guarantee failure.
If the plan is have two or three or four screening interviews before King George sits down then expect a decision sometime in the late summer.
If these idiots hadn't been born and/or stumbled into their positions, they would be hard pressed to hold the job of a greeter at Wal-Mart.
Spot on.

The only thing I’d add is that old method of uploading a resume into a form with like 100 fields where half of them import wrong and you’re better off just typing it in yourself.

I’ve stopped applying to employers like that years ago.
wab
Mod

My main concern with Daboll is how reliant his offense is on Allen. There's talent on that offense and he asked Allen to do almost EVERYTHING.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The list of requested HC interviews so far: Brian Daboll, Leslie Frazier, Todd Bowles, Bryon Leftowich, and Nathaniel Hackett.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.