Chicago Bears fire HC Matt Nagy & GM Ryan Pace

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:02 pm
wab wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:57 pm
What exactly does he have to thank them for?
Supporting the team, supporting his players on the field.
Sacrificing their time week in week out to support the team. Doesn’t he value that?
How about paying good money to watch him fuck it up with shitty calls every week.

The owners are just custodians, the fans are the lifeblood of any sports team.

Pace thanked the fans. Nagy didn’t.

Who’s the classy one?
Fans didn't do that for Nagy. They did that stuff for themselves.

Him not pandering to fans that hated him doesn't bother me at all. I just don't think it's as big of a deal as you do I guess.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:08 pm

Sacrificing their time week in week out to support the team. Doesn’t he value that?
How about paying good money to watch him fuck it up with shitty calls every week.

Who’s the classy one?
Fans didn't do that for Nagy. They did that stuff for themselves.

Him not pandering to fans that hated him doesn't bother me at all. I just don't think it's as big of a deal as you do I guess.
Fair enough we have a different perspective.

The fans did support the team, they did support the players. Pace thanked them for being the best home advantage in the NFL.
Pace gets it.
Whether Nagy is a spiteful prick or a brainless moron who is oblivious to the importance of fans remains to be seen. To be honest I could be convinced either way with him.

A decent HC and a decent human being would have thanked the fans for supporting the team (even if they saw through the Nagy BS)
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

wab wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:57 pm
What exactly does he have to thank them for?

Who’s the classy one?
Well the fans that harassed his children and wished death upon him when he had Covid certainly aren’t classy.

If a coach that you wanted fired thanking the fans in his goodbye message is so important to you, encourage your fellow fans to display a modicum of dignity not to mention common sense and leave the coaches families out of it.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

@Ditka’s dictaphone

This is for pretty much everything you've said over the last like two or three pages in this thread.

(You thank the fans. Even if they chanted for your destruction at your kids' game. They paid your fucking salary and tolerated your stupidity for four years. Especially since this is most likely the only NFL HC gig he'll ever have unless there's a franchise dumber than us.)
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:26 pm

Who’s the classy one?
Well the fans that harassed his children and wished death upon him when he had Covid certainly aren’t classy.

If a coach that you wanted fired thanking the fans in his goodbye message is so important to you, encourage your fellow fans to display a modicum of dignity not to mention common sense and leave the coaches families out of it.
I’m out on this topic (Nagy’s statement). I see it as a classless spiteful last word effort, others see it differently and we won’t ever agree.

Thanks for the support TMP :D

Here’s my reply to the above comment which backs Nagy. I know not everyone will agree but that’s ok
——————-
Did they?

You’re sure that was Chicago Bears fans harassing his family?
I haven’t seen one comment from a Chicago bears fan supporting those actions. The tens of thousands of Chicago bears fans who go to the games and support his team were not harassing his family.
He’s going to use 1 incident perpetrated by a few people who were not definitively identified as Chicago bears fans to completely disregard the support given to his team by actual Chicago bears fans week after week, year after year. Not to mention the outrage and disgust displayed by actual Chicago bears fans at the way his children were targeted.

It’s not important to me what Nagy says in his goodbye message because he’s a mealy mouthed weasel who’s words are about as worthwhile as a joke in a Christmas cracker.
But my point is, it shows he’s either a classless prick or an ignorant moron.

Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Sometimes choosing not say things when you really would like to is the classy move. He didn't go out of his way to shit on anybody when for the last month or so hes been under extreme scrutiny. He handled it all with class, even when some fans chose the opposite.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:53 pm

I’m out on this topic (Nagy’s statement). I see it as a classless spiteful last word effort, others see it differently and we won’t ever agree.

Here’s my reply to the above comment which backs Nagy. I know not everyone will agree but that’s ok
——————-
Did they?

I haven’t seen one comment from a Chicago bears fan supporting those actions. The tens of thousands of Chicago bears fans who go to the games and support his team were not harassing his family.
He’s going to use 1 incident perpetrated by a few people who were not definitively identified as Chicago bears fans to completely disregard the support given to his team by actual Chicago bears fans week after week, year after year. Not to mention the outrage and disgust displayed by actual Chicago bears fans at the way his children were targeted.

It’s not important to me what Nagy says in his goodbye message because he’s a mealy mouthed weasel who’s words are about as worthwhile as a joke in a Christmas cracker.
Why would anyone but Bears fans care about Matt Nagy’s employment status? Are you implying Packers fans went to a HS football game to harass his son to make Bears fans look bad?

It was a minority of bad fans but it obviously upset not only him but the McCaskey’s since they made a point to chastise the fans at the press conference, and people tend to focus on the negative.

Also, it’s extremely unlikely either of them sat down and actually wrote these. These were almost certainly written by someone at their agent’s office.

Also, chairman of the Bears just publicly criticized current players and called a former player a liar, so it’s not like the Bears are a model organization for class.
wab
Mod

——————-
Did they?

The guy really broke you huh?
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:26 am Matt Nagy seems like a nice person, but that doesn’t make him a great leader and the bears really need a great leader.
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:09 pm I feel sorry for Nagy, I see a bit of myself on him I guess.

I think he actually is that offensive “maverick”, some would say genius but it’s really just “maverick”.
The problem with people who have maverick ideas is that they’re only useful 10% of the time and then they are hailed as a genius.
I have this trait too, but I’ll readily admit I struggle to do the simple little things which make the difference.

There’s no point in having an offensive maverick as your HC. Pro sports is all about doing the simple things perfectly and letting the talent/maverick make the final difference.

We need a HC who does the simple things perfectly. No stupid penalties, always play the percentages, always leave yourself short 3rd downs, don’t get the QB sacked when you are in FG range at the end of a half etc etc.

Nagy needs someone who just keeps in simple.

Nagy may be a great OC, but he’s not HC material.
I feel sorry for him, but he’s unlikely to turn it round.
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:10 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:09 pm I have to ask Dikta's dictaphone, what exactly have you seen from Nagy in nigh on 3.5 seasons to have this faith in him?

If your faith is misplaced then it would set the Bears back another 5 years at least.
His honesty, transparency, commitment, rapport with the players and his work ethic.

Is he an innovative coaching maverick who is re-inventing the wheel and ahead of his time - no, I don’t think so.
Can I pull up loads of stats to show he’s going to make it? No I can’t.

If you want people to be great, pick the right people, give them the resources they need, give them the support and space to succeed and then get out of the way.
We picked Nagy, I don’t think anyone was vehemently against him when he was appointed.
Has he had the resources? Up until this draft I’d argue “no”. He’s probably met expectations considering the players he’s had to work with. This season, with a future franchise QB, I’d say he has been given a precursor of the resources he needs. Next season expectation will be high.

Let’s back him, let’s see how great he can be by giving him our unwavering support.

Switching HC frequently is no guarantee of success. Some HC’s thrive from day 1, others need a longer run up. He has potential in him, he could be great with space and support.

Just my personal point of view, I can’t give you any data or examples of similar success stories.

I don’t think Bill Belichick was great from day 1, he had a terrible record as an HC at the Brown (91-95) with only 1 winning season.

Some HC’s need time, it doesn’t mean they’re not going to make it just because they struggle at the beginning.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Of course the owner or his/her designee makes all final decisions.And McCaskey answers to a very incestuous board with 5 McCaskey family members on it. McCaskey himself admits to not being a football guy, which begs for one to oversee all football operations.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:18 am
Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:05 am So the clueless Ted Phillips is removed from having the GM answer to him. Instead, he's going to sit in on the interview for the job. Instead, the GM will be answering directly to George McCaskey, who has been nothing short of a buffoon since he took over running the team. This team still doesn't get that maybe an experienced football person would be better running the team and George just writes the checks. I hope we're not having this discussion again in 4 years.
I think you and I both know this discussion will happen again in 4 years. Maybe sooner.

I never really watched that much video of George McCaskey before and then I saw yesterday.

You can see where the 40 years of futility comes from.

In my line of work I see what happens when the second and third generation of a company take over. It’s just like Tommy Boy without the happy ending. The founder works his ass off building something worthwhile. The founder dies or retires then the kids take over. The kids are a bunch of morons just like George.

At least in the private sector the kids usually cash out to an investment group and go back to being flunkies. In this case the McCaskey’s cling onto this team like a raccoon with a shiny piece of foil.
Really the best thing would be for the team to be sold now. The McCaskeys would be comfortably numb with their riches. Maybe lightening would strike and the new owner(s) wouldn't have their heads in the sand.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:12 pm

——————-
Did they?

The guy really broke you huh?
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:26 am Matt Nagy seems like a nice person, but that doesn’t make him a great leader and the bears really need a great leader.
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:09 pm I feel sorry for Nagy, I see a bit of myself on him I guess.

I think he actually is that offensive “maverick”, some would say genius but it’s really just “maverick”.
The problem with people who have maverick ideas is that they’re only useful 10% of the time and then they are hailed as a genius.
I have this trait too, but I’ll readily admit I struggle to do the simple little things which make the difference.

There’s no point in having an offensive maverick as your HC. Pro sports is all about doing the simple things perfectly and letting the talent/maverick make the final difference.

We need a HC who does the simple things perfectly. No stupid penalties, always play the percentages, always leave yourself short 3rd downs, don’t get the QB sacked when you are in FG range at the end of a half etc etc.

Nagy needs someone who just keeps in simple.

Nagy may be a great OC, but he’s not HC material.
I feel sorry for him, but he’s unlikely to turn it round.
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:10 pm

His honesty, transparency, commitment, rapport with the players and his work ethic.

Is he an innovative coaching maverick who is re-inventing the wheel and ahead of his time - no, I don’t think so.
Can I pull up loads of stats to show he’s going to make it? No I can’t.

If you want people to be great, pick the right people, give them the resources they need, give them the support and space to succeed and then get out of the way.
We picked Nagy, I don’t think anyone was vehemently against him when he was appointed.
Has he had the resources? Up until this draft I’d argue “no”. He’s probably met expectations considering the players he’s had to work with. This season, with a future franchise QB, I’d say he has been given a precursor of the resources he needs. Next season expectation will be high.

Let’s back him, let’s see how great he can be by giving him our unwavering support.

Switching HC frequently is no guarantee of success. Some HC’s thrive from day 1, others need a longer run up. He has potential in him, he could be great with space and support.

Just my personal point of view, I can’t give you any data or examples of similar success stories.

I don’t think Bill Belichick was great from day 1, he had a terrible record as an HC at the Brown (91-95) with only 1 winning season.

Some HC’s need time, it doesn’t mean they’re not going to make it just because they struggle at the beginning.
Yeah he did, he let himself down with that omission from his statement.

I was willing to give him lots of latitude to turn it around but like I say - he let himself and everyone who gave him a chance down.

Terrible business, I’m sad that I supported him and he treats us like this. I would have preferred no statement at all.

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:39 pm

I think you and I both know this discussion will happen again in 4 years. Maybe sooner.

I never really watched that much video of George McCaskey before and then I saw yesterday.

In my line of work I see what happens when the second and third generation of a company take over. It’s just like Tommy Boy without the happy ending. The founder works his ass off building something worthwhile. The founder dies or retires then the kids take over. The kids are a bunch of morons just like George.

At least in the private sector the kids usually cash out to an investment group and go back to being flunkies. In this case the McCaskey’s cling onto this team like a raccoon with a shiny piece of foil.
Really the best thing would be for the team to be sold now. The McCaskeys would be comfortably numb with their riches. Maybe lightening would strike and the new owner(s) wouldn't have their heads in the sand.
True but I don’t think that happens until Virginia passes.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:42 pm

Most likely not until a new stadium is completed.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:43 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:42 pm

Most likely not until a new stadium is completed.
That would be unfortunate considering how they bungled the Soldier Field renovations.

You just know if Jeff Bezos bought the team and built the stadium it would make Jerry Jones jealous when it was completed. If the McCaskey’s build it you just hope it stays standing and they don’t obstruct the view of half the stadium with the scoreboard or something.
IotaNet
MVP

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:53 pm... If the McCaskey’s build it you just hope it stays standing and they don’t obstruct the view of half the stadium with the scoreboard or something.
Dude -

As much money (BIG time money -- corporate money, gambling money, hotel money, real-estate money) as is going to be tied up in this deal, trust that it will be top-notch everything.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

That's the only thing that fixes the problem. If the team is sold.

With the move to Arlington and Virginia being older than Methuselah we can only hope the McCaskey's cash out now that the team's value is about to go up exponentially.

But I just don't know. What would those people do with their time? Play XBox? The Bears is the only thing the McCaskey's do.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:39 pm Really the best thing would be for the team to be sold now. The McCaskeys would be comfortably numb with their riches.
It’s a nice dream. The McCaskey’s are certainly on The Thin Ice with fans. The Happiest Days of Our Lives were way back in the 1980s and we’ve had enough of failure.

Let’s be honest though, it doesn’t matter how many Empty Spaces there are in the stands, Mother will never allow her children to sell Grandpa’s team. If she got even a whiff that her sons were wondering Is There Anybody Out There who might buy the team she’d be straight on the phone yelling “Bring the Boys Back Home right now! What do you mean there’s Nobody Home? Don’t give me that. I need to seem them In The Flesh right now!”

And even though she’s close to saying Goodbye Cruel World and lying six feet under Waiting For The Worms, she'd be telling them in no uncertain terms “Hey You, Stop this nonsense! I understand this Young Lust for money but you can say Goodbye Blue Sky thinking about selling up right this instant. This franchise may be Run Like Hell but The Show Must Go On with the Halas/McCaskey family in charge just as it always has been. Before the first brick is laid in the first wall of this new Arlington Heights project let alone Another Brick In The Wall, I want your cast iron guarantee that you will never ever sell this team. Oh and if I hear so much as another whisper about this Outside the Wall of this building they'll be hell to pay. Now get out of here before I have One Of My Turns! Where’s my nurse? Vera? Where the heck have you got to?!”
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Maybe someday, the McKaskey family will have expanded into an ownership model something like the Packers.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

After Ginny dies, and when they have developed Arlington Park. After the new stadium, on that piece of property, the franchise will be worth over $4B. That's when they'll sell.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:09 pm

After Ginny dies, and when they have developed Arlington Park. After the new stadium, on that piece of property, the franchise will be worth over $4B. That's when they'll sell.
So maybe this is the last GM/HC hiring the McKaskey's might be involved with?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Nagy not thanking the fans upon his departure says a lot about his character. How you act in moments like that helps to define the type of person you are. I don't care if he did it or not, I'm just saying it says a lot about him.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

By omitting a word of gratitude, he let himself get pulled down to a lower level.

Nagy's gonna Nagy.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don’t feel jilted that Nagy didn’t thank me, I cursed at the mfer every Sunday for the last 3 years. The fact he didn’t tell me to GFM is good enough for me. I’m just happy he’s in the rear view now and we have a fresh start coming. Nothingburger for me.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:48 pm I don’t feel jilted that Nagy didn’t thank me, I cursed at the mfer every Sunday for the last 3 years. The fact he didn’t tell me to GFM is good enough for me. I’m just happy he’s in the rear view now and we have a fresh start coming. Nothingburger for me.
I don't feel jilted, and I don't give a shit. I'm just saying it says a lot about the person.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Why in the world would the family ever even consider selling the team. I understand the thought that some want that, but the bears have been owned by the same family for their entire existence. Until they that are currently involved die off and the younger generation come out and say they want rid of it, it's all smoke and mirrors to me.

The stadium is full even when they suck, and it always will be. Owning the chicago bears is basically printing money. Building the new stadium/site/complex will be a license to print even more money.

Yeah, fans may be pissed at the moment, but they still show up at the games, buy tickets, buy jerseys and keep spending money. The chicago bears are chicago.
wab
Mod

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:41 pm Why in the world would the family ever even consider selling the team. I understand the thought that some want that, but the bears have been owned by the same family for their entire existence. Until they that are currently involved die off and the younger generation come out and say they want rid of it, it's all smoke and mirrors to me.

The stadium is full even when they suck, and it always will be. Owning the chicago bears is basically printing money. Building the new stadium/site/complex will be a license to print even more money.

Yeah, fans may be pissed at the moment, but they still show up at the games, buy tickets, buy jerseys and keep spending money. The chicago bears are chicago.
There are a ton of financial implications that the family will have to deal with and face after Ginny passes. It's outlined pretty well in the Arlington Park thread.
Z Bear
MVP

No way the family dumps the golden egg....I bet anyone $5 that the family gives all their stock to George when she passes so they can keep the money rolling in. With some sort of agreement or trust that they get their fair shares when George passes or they decide to sell.
wab
Mod

Z Bear wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:14 am No way the family dumps the golden egg....I bet anyone $5 that the family gives all their stock to George when she passes so they can keep the money rolling in. With some sort of agreement or trust that they get their fair shares when George passes or they decide to sell.
Yeah but that's not how it works.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:35 pm
Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:39 pm Really the best thing would be for the team to be sold now. The McCaskeys would be comfortably numb with their riches.
It’s a nice dream. The McCaskey’s are certainly on The Thin Ice with fans. The Happiest Days of Our Lives were way back in the 1980s and we’ve had enough of failure.

Let’s be honest though, it doesn’t matter how many Empty Spaces there are in the stands, Mother will never allow her children to sell Grandpa’s team. If she got even a whiff that her sons were wondering Is There Anybody Out There who might buy the team she’d be straight on the phone yelling “Bring the Boys Back Home right now! What do you mean there’s Nobody Home? Don’t give me that. I need to seem them In The Flesh right now!”

And even though she’s close to saying Goodbye Cruel World and lying six feet under Waiting For The Worms, she'd be telling them in no uncertain terms “Hey You, Stop this nonsense! I understand this Young Lust for money but you can say Goodbye Blue Sky thinking about selling up right this instant. This franchise may be Run Like Hell but The Show Must Go On with the Halas/McCaskey family in charge just as it always has been. Before the first brick is laid in the first wall of this new Arlington Heights project let alone Another Brick In The Wall, I want your cast iron guarantee that you will never ever sell this team. Oh and if I hear so much as another whisper about this Outside the Wall of this building they'll be hell to pay. Now get out of here before I have One Of My Turns! Where’s my nurse? Vera? Where the heck have you got to?!”
No one's going to Meddle with Bears ownership while Mrs. McCaskey is still alive. It's Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun and hold on for the ride.

HRS, what can I say, great post with all the references to my favorite band.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I normally don’t listen to Hoge & Jahns. Just not My Thing.

However this week about the firings they did a masterful job.