Bears to interview Brian Flores

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

It's not even being an asshole. It's being a secretive inflexible asshole that's really the issue. No reason a nice guy can't also be secretive and inflexible and super nice about it too.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

More I read about this guy, the more I like him.

Oh he's not a kiss-ass?
How well did all that "collaboration" of late treat us?

I'm not overly impressed with a late season run (ala Nagy 2020) but he's not had much to work with and sounds like a leader to me.
Like Harbaugh, I just want someone who commands respect, demands attention to detail, and shoots it straight.

Unlike Harbaugh though, I don't think he's earned any real say in building a roster. I say if he's the hire, he should be hired by the new GM rather than ownership.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure Flores is the type of guy that I want here. It sounds like he's a bit of an control freak/asshole. We're trying to build a dynasty, not have a coach that wins for three years, but is so abrasive that he wears out his welcome. Sounds like a media circus waiting to happen. Coaching for Miami is one thing, no one goes to those games. It's not like football in Chicago.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

For the past 30 years it's been one limp noodled coordinator after another just happy to have a job. Except for Fox who was ready for the Old Folks Home and the 2pm Senior Dinner Special at IHOP by the time we hired him.

I'm up for something new. Fire in the belly. Somebody who gives a damn and it shows.

Flores is higher than Bowles on my list now. #1 amongst those from the NFL.

If Fields bombs out, which I 100% do not believe will happen, then I'm done with this team. So might as well go out with a bang if it comes down to it.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:42 pm More I read about this guy, the more I like him.

Oh he's not a kiss-ass?
How well did all that "collaboration" of late treat us?

I'm not overly impressed with a late season run (ala Nagy 2020) but he's not had much to work with and sounds like a leader to me.
Like Harbaugh, I just want someone who commands respect, demands attention to detail, and shoots it straight.

Unlike Harbaugh though, I don't think he's earned any real say in building a roster. I say if he's the hire, he should be hired by the new GM rather than ownership.
Right.

The time for the Common Core Montessori Method of the Restorative Circle to discuss our feelings and sense of self worth is over.

Win the Super Bowl or let no man come home alive.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Lets say he IS this power hungry, hard headed asshole. The McCaskey's would know. Would they even bother bringing him in? Even with back to back winning seasons? I really doubt he's as bad as he's being made out to be.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

alexwilkins wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:50 am Lets say he IS this power hungry, hard headed asshole. The McCaskey's would know. Would they even bother bringing him in? Even with back to back winning seasons? I really doubt he's as bad as he's being made out to be.
Good point

I guess we can safely assume anyone who’s being interviewed is seen as employable by the McCaskeys.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

If we want a douchey, "I want to be Bill Bellicheck" type, we can get McDaniels. Much better resume and history of success. I mean, many of you complained about Nagy having losing streaks in back to back years. This guy's team had a 7 game losing streak then came on strong once the season was over and didnt matter. Sounds alot like Nagy. At least Nagy was a nice guy. This guy from everything i've read is an asshole and can't keep an offensive staff together.

And that is what some people think Justin Fields needs? Let's just put #6 on Fields now then and find him a reality tv star wife he can divorce once his playing career is over.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:37 am If we want a douchey, "I want to be Bill Bellicheck" type, we can get McDaniels. Much better resume and history of success. I mean, many of you complained about Nagy having losing streaks in back to back years. This guy's team had a 7 game losing streak then came on strong once the season was over and didnt matter. Sounds alot like Nagy. At least Nagy was a nice guy. This guy from everything i've read is an asshole and can't keep an offensive staff together.

And that is what some people think Justin Fields needs? Let's just put #6 on Fields now then and find him a reality tv star wife he can divorce once his playing career is over.
Much better record than mcdaniels record and mcdaniels history of not only being a gigantic douche but selling out his coaches and an entire franchise to run back and fondle Bill. I would say Flores’s character rates a little higher than mcdaniels.

Also, all of the smoke of him being a jerk comes out after his firing, but players love him is all you heard during the season? Sounds like an organization doing damage control because of an unpopular firing.

There may be something to it, there could also be a GM protecting his rear on the Tua pick, as Flores definitely wanted something else at QB given his infatuation with Watson and playing Brissett over Tua.
Last edited by southdakbearfan on Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richie
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:59 am
IE wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:43 am

Did he hire the OC or did the GM?
Not sure exact circumstances, but I'm seeing a lot of chatter that it's a concern area.
I think the concern with that goes hand in hand with the concern about his relationship with the front office in MIA (and apparently with Tua).

It seems like he may really struggle with working relationships.

I do like him as a coach, though. Hopefully he has learned whatever mistakes he may have made.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:57 am
HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:37 am If we want a douchey, "I want to be Bill Bellicheck" type, we can get McDaniels. Much better resume and history of success. I mean, many of you complained about Nagy having losing streaks in back to back years. This guy's team had a 7 game losing streak then came on strong once the season was over and didnt matter. Sounds alot like Nagy. At least Nagy was a nice guy. This guy from everything i've read is an asshole and can't keep an offensive staff together.

Much better record than mcdaniels record and mcdaniels history of not only being a gigantic douche but selling out his coaches and an entire franchise to run back and fondle Bill. I would say Flores’s character rates a little higher than mcdaniels.

Also, all of the smoke of him being a jerk comes out after his firing, but players love him is all you heard during the season? Sounds like an organization doing damage control because of an unpopular firing.

There may be something to it, there could also be a GM protecting his rear on the Tua pick, as Flores definitely wanted something else at QB given his infatuation with Watson and playing Brissett over Tua.
Well maybe its because I know a few Dolphins fans but I heard rumors of his issues with his offensive staff before this season. 4 OC in 3 years. Thats what you want for Fields?

And what about the most important thing, a 7 game losing streak?
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Maybe I read past it earlier in the thread and missed it, but some other weird additional details have come out about Flores having Tua repeatedly tested for PEDs because he didn't believe him regarding his weight gain/muscle mass. Weird.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

People are underselling the coaching job Flores did in Miami. That 2019 roster was a shit and built to tank for a 2020 QB - and Flores won 5 games with them. He might be an asshole and difficult to work for - but he has also shown the capability to be a head coach (unlike the rest of Bill B's protege's). Get him a GM who he respects and who respects him and I think he could win some games here in Chicago
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Burl wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:25 am Maybe I read past it earlier in the thread and missed it, but some other weird additional details have come out about Flores having Tua repeatedly tested for PEDs because he didn't believe him regarding his weight gain/muscle mass. Weird.
I'm going to need a link/follow up on that because I'm fairly certain that PED/drug testing is not under the purview of the Head Coach - and the NFLPA wouldn't allow a player to be tested at the direction of a head coach.

alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:43 am People are underselling the coaching job Flores did in Miami. That 2019 roster was a shit and built to tank for a 2020 QB - and Flores won 5 games with them. He might be an asshole and difficult to work for - but he has also shown the capability to be a head coach (unlike the rest of Bill B's protege's). Get him a GM who he respects and who respects him and I think he could win some games here in Chicago
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... an-flores/
In 2019, owner Stephen Ross wanted to tank. Flores wasn't having it. Seems like things were doomed from the start.
Dardango
Journeyman

Otis Day wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:23 pm He kind of scares me. Kind of comes across as a control freak. I am not in this guy's corner at all.
SAME. Don't want to go from one maniacal experience to another. I saw him at a game going off on Tua and some others looking straight crazy. Shotgun anger fits will lose you the locker room. Hard pass.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Dardango wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:40 am
Otis Day wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:23 pm He kind of scares me. Kind of comes across as a control freak. I am not in this guy's corner at all.
SAME. Don't want to go from one maniacal experience to another. I saw him at a game going off on Tua and some others looking straight crazy. Shotgun anger fits will lose you the locker room. Hard pass.
Really? Cause a lot of Dolphins players were very upset that he got fired..
IotaNet
MVP

alexwilkins wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:46 am
Dardango wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:40 am

Yes, and others thought he was an egotistical jerk.

Hard pass.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
IotaNet
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:44 am
Burl wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:25 am Maybe I read past it earlier in the thread and missed it, but some other weird additional details have come out about Flores having Tua repeatedly tested for PEDs because he didn't believe him regarding his weight gain/muscle mass. Weird.
I'm going to need a link/follow up on that because I'm fairly certain that PED/drug testing is not under the purview of the Head Coach - and the NFLPA wouldn't allow a player to be tested at the direction of a head coach.
Link here ...

“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

IotaNet wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:48 am
alexwilkins wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:46 am

Yes, and others thought he was an egotistical jerk.

Hard pass.
Source please sir.
IotaNet
MVP

alexwilkins wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:05 am
IotaNet wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:48 am Yes, and others thought he was an egotistical jerk.

Hard pass.
Source please sir.
Let's start here ..

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... 7_36227534

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/01/10/brian ... a-dolphins

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/1/10 ... ephen-ross

- Colin Powell
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:51 am
Hiphopopotamos wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:44 am

Link here ...

That's not how PED testing works. The NFLPA and NFL have an independent administrator that determines the testing schedule and test participants. Its explicitly stated in the testing policy that neither the NFL and its employees nor the NFLPA will have influence on who gets tested or when.

Unless Flores was bribing the independent administrator to randomly select Tua this is straight up bullshit fan-fiction created by Tua stans.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Oh, and regarding Flores being 'egotistical' are we pretending that is not 90% of successful coaches? Do we not think Harbaugh is egotistical?

Hero
Player of the Month

Vegas seems to like the Flo pick.

Chicago Bears next coach odds

Brian Flores +400
Jim Harbaugh +500
Doug Pederson +600
Leslie Frazier +600
Brian Daboll +600
Todd Bowles +900
Byron Leftwich +1,000
Ryan Day +1,200
Eric Bieniemy +1,200
Pat Fitzgerald +1,400
Kellen Moore +1,400
Josh McDaniels +1,600
Matt Eberflus +1,600
Dave Toub +1,800
Greg Roman +2,000
Jerod Mayo +2,200
Sean Payton +3,500

Odds courtesy of Maximbet as of January 12, 2022

https://www.covers.com/nfl/next-coach-odds
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Word. Let"s do it.

Article 1 is from October. Before their 7-game win streak. Doesn't matter where you are in the season. An NFL team doesn't win seven in a row if the team has given up on their coach.

Article 2 is about the relationship between Flo and Tua. Flo didn't want Tua. Its obvious. Yet he clearly made it work. IF he wants to coach the Bears, he clearly likes Fields.

Article 3 is just the tail of a GM who is in the owners pocket. Ross and Flo haven't seen eye to eye since day one. Grier may have fired Flo, but Ross made the call.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

One thing is certain, this sort of issue is exactly where Polian will probably provide the most value. I'm certain he can help McCaskey navigate to the truest possible version of the story with Flores/Miami.

The OC issue is then a concern too. I need to see him with OC in hand basically. No arranged marriages. If he can't show us who he has to bring to the table it's a sign he can't bring it to the table and he needs to.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:36 pm I recall reading where Flores thought Herbert should go #1 and was beside himself when Ross/Grier took Tua over him.
I read that also, which might have been the reason he pushed so hard to get Watson as he was never sold on Tua.

Hmm, wonder how he would have reacted if he'd been in Chicago when the Bears passed over Watson for Mitch....

Looked it up, the dude has 17 years of coaching experience going back to 2004. He's no newbie.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

Lack of being able to get and keep an OC is the issue for me as well. Guy went through 4 or 5 in 3 years, and two of them had never been Offensive Coordinators before.
IE
Hall of Famer

One thing people aren't talking about with Flores now that Judge has been fired, is Flores could end up bring Patrick Graham to Chicago with him as his DC. They're buddies and ex-colleagues. And despite the statistical record of Graham's teams, he is so well-though-of that he's on lists for HC in the near future. I wonder if he'd come to Chicago with Flores first as DC/assistant HC to build a new culture. That is, if he doesn't get the Giants job, as rumour has it they really like him. Both guys have done well with very little.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Rakshir wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:43 pm Lack of being able to get and keep an OC is the issue for me as well. Guy went through 4 or 5 in 3 years, and two of them had never been Offensive Coordinators before.
Yeah, I don’t like how he visibly handled Tua. I don’t think the constant benching of him even though he sucked was helpful in his development. And even if he’s a good coach, we already went through the defensive minded guy that couldn’t find a good offensive coordinator with Lovie Smith.

He’d have to wow me with his answers about those things if I was making the hire.