G08
Hall of Famer

This could be the guy...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Dodds
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
wab
Mod

So far this is the GM candidate who excites me.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab
Mod

Yeah. He's my guy.

Followed by (in no particular order):
Smith
Adolfo-Mensah
Khan
Brown
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

<coolstorybro>Found out yesterday that my wife and brother-in-law grew up with Ed Dodds. He was BIL's best friend in middle school and lived right down the road in a very rural southwest Texas town. They lost touch with him after he went to school. Last they heard he had gotten an internship as a scout with the Raiders. Couldn't believe he was now up for GM of the Bears. </coolstorybro>

I told them to reach out because I needed some box seats.

wulfy
MVP

Dodds and Morroco are both interesting to me.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I probably rank them: Khan, Dodds, Smith, Morocco right now. I really admire Pittsburgh and wish we had that level of success as a franchise. They focus on trench warfare. Wish we’d go after some Ravens talent as well.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:36 am <coolstorybro>Found out yesterday that my wife and brother-in-law grew up with Ed Dodds. He was BIL's best friend in middle school and lived right down the road in a very rural southwest Texas town. They lost touch with him after he went to school. Last they heard he had gotten an internship as a scout with the Raiders. Couldn't believe he was now up for GM of the Bears. </coolstorybro>

I told them to reach out because I needed some box seats.
:lol:

Where have you been hiding!? :toast:

G08
Hall of Famer

It's impressive to see what he did in Seattle and how he worked with Ballard to help turn Indy around.

We could use him here and he's young, 41.

wulfy
MVP

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:17 pm I probably rank them: Khan, Dodds, Smith, Morocco right now. I really admire Pittsburgh and wish we had that level of success as a franchise. They focus on trench warfare. Wish we’d go after some Ravens talent as well.

1> Horvitz (whatever happened to Phil Savage??)
2> Morocco
3> Smith
4> Dodds
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:58 pm
dplank wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:17 pm I probably rank them: Khan, Dodds, Smith, Morocco right now. I really admire Pittsburgh and wish we had that level of success as a franchise. They focus on trench warfare. Wish we’d go after some Ravens talent as well.

1> Horvitz (whatever happened to Phil Savage??)
Phil Savage is in his third season with the Jets as the team's senior football advisor.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wulfy
MVP

Thanks, thunderspirit. I really thought Phil Savage was going to be great.

I know he was the Director of the Senior Bowl for quite a while.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Dodds - Eberflus is getting some traction. His chops:

Worked for head dad, who was head coach at Texas A&M-Kingsville. Became a Pro Personnel intern under Mike Lombardi with Oakland. Hired by the Seahawks after 3 years as a Pro Personnel Scout and then a College Scout after a year, becoming their National Scout in '14 after 6 years. "Discovered" Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Bobby Wagner, Russell Wilson, Kam Chancellor, Doug Baldwin, and others drafted by the Seahawks and instrumental in all their division titles and SB win. Promoted to Senior Personnel Executive. Hired by Chris Ballard and Indy to be their Vice-President of Player Personnel in '17 and with them since then.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
UOK
Site Admin

mshu7
Pro Bowler

-Shu
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Went badly how? is a very important question.

If Dodds did poorly, oh well.

If Dodds thought the McCaskeys were a bunch of fuckups and he wants no part of it...that's a whole different kettle of rotting fish.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Wow. Didn't see that coming. Based on everything I've been reading on the 452 guys that have been interviewed so far, he was moving to the top of my list. Once again, it appears I'm the kiss of death for people. So if you guys have someone you DON'T want getting the job, let me know who it is and I'll start backing them. They will likely get tied to Jeffery Epstein by weeks end.
UOK
Site Admin

Moriarty wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:39 pm Went badly how? is a very important question.

If Dodds thought the McCaskeys were a bunch of fuckups and he wants no part of it...that's a whole different kettle of rotting fish.
Apparently just a bad interview. This isn't his first flop being interviewed around the league, apparently.

Also:

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:39 pm If Dodds thought the McCaskeys were a bunch of fuckups and he wants no part of it...that's a whole different kettle of rotting fish.
That’s the exact paradigm we’re in.

Like Schrodinger’s Cat except it’s Schrodinger’s GM.

Any candidate worth a damn is going to have to look past the McCaskey’s and see the bigger opportunity.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:39 pm Went badly how? is a very important question.

That's the big question. Did he give logical answers that seemed to fly in the face of what McCaskey and Crew wanted to do? I don't want to loop back to Ballard not getting the job, but rumors had it that he wanted to rework the whole system to make it better and the organization said "no thanks.," I don't want it to be something like that.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:45 pm

That's the big question. Did he give logical answers that seemed to fly in the face of what McCaskey and Crew wanted to do? I don't want to loop back to Ballard not getting the job, but rumors had it that he wanted to rework the whole system to make it better and the organization said "no thanks.," I don't want it to be something like that.
Well never get a clear answer and people will believe whatever they want.

The Dodds hype was always weirdly inflated to me (and I still liked him as a name, just not the extent most seemed to).

At a certain stage him pulling out consistently from jobs means something right?
IE
Hall of Famer

I'll take Ron Wolf's son over Ballard's college buddy.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:41 pm

Apparently just a bad interview. This isn't his first flop being interviewed around the league, apparently.

Also:

So much this. Honestly what has Ballard done to deserve the fawning praise he gets from media members? Its surely not results based.

Is it because he loves to talk to reporters?

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:45 pm

Rumors come from media members who Ballard has spent a career cultivating relationships with. I have no idea what was said - but it only helps Ballard's case to let this get out.

Artbest
Player of the Month

Considering that Dodds did this to the Browns two years ago and the Panthers last year, I'm not sure there's much that can be gleaned here. The Bears are now doing what Ballard wanted them to do in 2015 - have the GM report directly to George. George is far more patient than other owners - others would not have given Ryan Pace 7 years to get it right.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

xyt in the discord chats
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:21 pm Considering that Dodds did this to the Browns two years ago and the Panthers last year, I'm not sure there's much that can be gleaned here. The Bears are now doing what Ballard wanted them to do in 2015 - have the GM report directly to George. George is far more patient than other owners - others would not have given Ryan Pace 7 years to get it right.
That Pace also legitimately made big changes in the org, while still repprting to Ted, makes me question somewhat wisdom of Ballard. That said, he knew Ted well I presume. No one wants to work for a boss they hate (if that were the issue), but it's hard to see how he would have been a limiting factor in football for Ballard given what we know (at least not a limiting factor that would be solved with reporting to George).