Time line on getting a new GM

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I was looking back and it appeared we hired Pace on January 8.

So when do people think we get this accomplished?

I'm thinking it will be next Tuesday at the latest.
IotaNet
MVP

I agree with you. My gut tells me that from an operational perspective and a PR perspective, the team doesn't want this to languish.

Not to mention, the FO has some very heavy lifting ahead of them this offseason -- they probably want to get moving as soon as possible.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

Somewhere between now and the 20th. I think they'll have both guys in place before the super bowl.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:31 am I was looking back and it appeared we hired Pace on January 8.

So when do people think we get this accomplished?

I'm thinking it will be next Tuesday at the latest.
Phil Emery was fired on December 29th and Pace was hired on the 8th. So that took about a week and a half.

Based on how many requests they’ve made and that they just made an additional request yesterday, my prediction would be by next Friday.
wulfy
MVP

I REALLY hope they pick the GM first and let him pick the coach ..... unless they are going to get a Big Fish (Day, Payton, even Harbaugh) where the power structure is Coach above GM. I'll be pissed if they hire some DC/OC type and then stick the GM with him.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Just remember timelines are pushed back about a week.

I think end of next week possibly for GM. Absolutely earliest for coach I think is 24/25th, but once a GM is in depending on what his shortlist is like vis a vie playoff teams, could easily be mid Feb, at least for any official announcement.

I'm a little more on edge for GM to get done and then expecting patience for HC. But luckily I'm not also super concerned with competition. Not a ton of crossover in the candidate lists for other jobs so there shouldnt be a rush. Minn doesn't look to be in a rush and almost no candidate crossover with NYG and we should comfortably be preferred destination.
Last edited by The Cooler King on Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IE
Hall of Famer

I hope it goes fast because between us all these different threads for different candidates is killing me, Smalls!

The lists actually look so good that I'm really not caring so much because I think the difference is going to be so great (for the better) than what we've been strapped with that it will be good regardless.

Totally agree the GM should be first and then make the call. .. unless it is one of the improbable hires that we'd all like at coach where they pick the GM for the most part. So that has to happen soon because they're already interviewing coaches as well (but probably just screening at this point).
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

With the number of candidates they plan to interview, then having second interviews with hopefully 2-4, next week seems a bit quick to make a decision. Are they interviewing more than one a day?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I hate the HC Who Is GM and the GM Essentially Reports to the HC models with a passion
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:06 pm With the number of candidates they plan to interview, then having second interviews with hopefully 2-4, next week seems a bit quick to make a decision. Are they interviewing more than one a day?
My impression is this big list is pretty cursory interviews (Zoom, maybe a few hours). I bet the final list will be like 4 or 5 big interviews.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

That shit will be all wrapped up once @Hema2.0 leaves Halas Hall.

Aside from that, it’s the McCaskey’s. Put me down for St. Patrick’s Day about six weeks after all the good HC candidates are long gone and we pry away Mel Tucker from MSU.