JF1 Big Time Throws

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Watching this gives me a lot of hope. Now... can you imagine if dudes were running open and not contested on nearly every throw?

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Giving McNagy a weapon like Fields is like giving a man with no legs a pair of Air Jordan’s.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Fields' deep ball is just so pretty. I can't wait to see this kid unleashed in an offense catered to him. Thanks for sharing.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:17 am Watching this gives me a lot of hope. Now... can you imagine if dudes were running open and not contested on nearly every throw?

1. Thank you for this!

2. Those balls to Graham and Mooney against Pittsburgh were disgusting
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Xee
Site Admin

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:31 am Fields' deep ball is just so pretty. I can't wait to see this kid unleashed in an offense catered to him. Thanks for sharing.
I watched that almost-50-yard bomb to Mooney against the Lions like 5 times.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

That was fun to watch. Thanks, WAB.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

How some people can consider him a bust I’ve no idea.
He may hold the ball too long, he may need longer to read/process defenses.

What is beyond doubt is he has the arm talent to go all the way.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:32 am Giving McNagy a weapon like Fields is like giving a man with no legs a pair of Air Jordan’s.
:rofl:
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:04 pm How some people can consider him a bust I’ve no idea.
He may hold the ball too long, he may need longer to read/process defenses.

What is beyond doubt is he has the arm talent to go all the way.
I guess I haven’t seen anyone label him a bust. On the contrary everyone can see the big time plays, it’s the fumbles and horrid drive killing sacks he needs to clean up.

He can’t have a highlight reel play every play, sometimes the quick check down is a million times better than trying to escape a sack to heave a 50 yd bomb.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The fumbles are a problem he needs to resolve but if the next coach can actually handle red zone playcalling I think the big time throws will lead to points and outweigh the sacks. The game is ultimately about points not yards or time of possession.

6 drives with an explosive play (pass or run)
3 blah drives
3 drives with "terrible sacks"

Probably the Bears win that game
xyt in the discord chats
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:53 pm The fumbles are a problem he needs to resolve but if the next coach can actually handle red zone playcalling I think the big time throws will lead to points and outweigh the sacks. The game is ultimately about points not yards or time of possession.

6 drives with an explosive play (pass or run)
3 blah drives
3 drives with "terrible sacks"

Probably the Bears win that game
It’s about sustaining drives. You can’t automatically know 25% of your drives are hosed because of sacks and feasibly win a lot of games. All of the other things like false starts and drops just get magnified when you have a qb taking bad sacks and possibly resulting in fumbles.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Field position matters in this discussion but generally I think analytics supports the idea of chasing big plays even at the risk of some bad ones. Again - not turnovers necessarily.

Look at this blog for some charts: https://www.the33rdteam.com/how-valuabl ... ive-plays/

“If we get the ball on our own 25 and have X explosives in the drive, what’s the chance we’ll score?”
Drives with 0 explosives are very unlikely to score, drives with a single explosive are three times more likely to score than drives with no explosives, and drives with two explosives score more than half the time.

Play with the sorting

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/expl ... -off-.html

and you'll see that the best offenses last year had lots of explosive plays. The way you "sustain drives" now is by shortening them either by field position (off turnovers) or with big plays that reduce the number of plays required to score.
xyt in the discord chats
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Same place. This years stats.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/n ... lays-2021/

5 of the top 10 teams for overall explosive plays missed the playoffs.

8 of the top 10 teams for average number of plays per game made the playoffs.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm a big fan of JF1. I'm not usually QB Boy - but boy I now sure am QB Boy.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:02 pm I'm a big fan of JF1. I'm not usually QB Boy - but boy I now sure am QB Boy.
Samsees.

He's The Chosen One if they don't fuck it up.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:01 pm Same place. This years stats.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/n ... lays-2021/

5 of the top 10 teams for overall explosive plays missed the playoffs.

8 of the top 10 teams for average number of plays per game made the playoffs.
You're right I shouldn't have mentioned runs.

The top 9 teams in explosive passing rate made the playoffs, then DAL KC and BUF are further down because their offenses sucked at times this season but I don't think you'd look at those teams and say they don't have an explosive element to their passing game.

EDIT:
Also wow I'm looking at this list of average plays: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/plays-per-game
Baltimore is number 1 and Greg Roman is under fire
PIT squeaked into the playoffs and #9 but their offense was trash
Car is #10 and their offense was a laughing stock
GB is at 16 and SF and CIN are tied at 25.
This doesn't prove anything
xyt in the discord chats
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

JF season highlights. Youtube won't allow me to post the link here but it's at youtube.com and then at
watch?v=U0raZvfYA1U

Lots of hope going forward. He has the potential.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

News flash: There is no sack problem. It's bad math. For the last 3/4 of the season he averaged < 3 sacks per game which is not just normal but extremely normal for a mobile QB. Don't expect JF1's sacks to go down much at all from there. The one thing he needs to do is learn and not take the 15 yard ones where he's just trying to be a hero. That's normal too for a young guy.

The fumbles are more of an issue but also pretty normal for a rookie QB who is working on the clock in his head and hasn't yet learned where the danger is coming from on any given play/situation.

There is really nothing notable that JF1 has to work on, other than becoming deeply acquainted with a decent offense and familiarity with his weapons.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:52 pm There is really nothing notable that JF1 has to work on
I mean... he has a considerable amount of things to work on. Timing, anticipation, pocket awareness, ball security.

you can't just yell "It's the OL and the coach!" and absolve JF1 needing to work on things that he absolutely needs to work on.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:19 pm
IE wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:52 pm There is really nothing notable that JF1 has to work on
I mean... he has a considerable amount of things to work on. Timing, anticipation, pocket awareness, ball security.

you can't just yell "It's the OL and the coach!" and absolve JF1 needing to work on things that he absolutely needs to work on.
Sure. I just mean no one thing stands out as being unusually abnormal for an unprepared rookie. It is all stuff young QBs are expected to be needing to work on - nothing notably unusual is what I should have said. All yellow flags - no red flags.

He's green AF.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:24 pm

Sure. I just mean no one thing stands out as being unusually abnormal for an unprepared rookie. It is all stuff young QBs are expected to be needing to work on - nothing notably unusual is what I should have said. All yellow flags - no red flags.

He's green AF.
Fair and agreed.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Beat me to it.

The kid has potential - Far, far, far from finished product though
RichH55
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:24 pm

He's green AF.
Relatively to other rookies this year. Yes.

Relatively to Rookie QBs over say the last 5 years? No.