Eberflus
Flores
Frazier
Hackett
Leftwich
Pederson
Quinn

Out of the 9 that we know have been called for interviews Flores is my #1
Quinn is my #1 because he’s a good defensive mind that has a track record of hiring good offensive coordinators, that Flores doesn’t.

Then Leftwich, Daboll, and Flores are the next tier for me.

Bowles, Frazier, and Hackett would make me worried for the future.
IE
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:31 am
IE wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:03 am I don't get this. I want to win & the Texans haven't won anything ever. Hitting on a handful of first rounders over several years should be minimum qualification for someone who's actually made picks. But coming from a winning program/background has to be a core requirement. I want a GM from a winning program and winning lineage.
You have to look at what the Texans were before Smith was hired, and look at them after he was let go.

He has had success:

12 seasons, only 4 of which were 'losing seasons'
4 playoff appearances
11 Pro Bowlers drafted
etc

We could do a lot worse than Rick Smith.
OK. I guess I'm just in "I want a dynasty" mode, and don't quite see the promise there like I do with a young Wolf. But I'd be fine with it if he brought in the right coaches. I'm down with McDaniel for sure.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:38 am
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:16 am

Bowles
Daboll
Eberflus
Flores
Frazier
Hackett
Leftwich
Pederson
Quinn

Quinn is my #1 because he’s a good defensive mind that has a track record of hiring good offensive coordinators, that Flores doesn’t.

Then Leftwich, Daboll, and Flores are the next tier for me.

Bowles, Frazier, and Hackett would make me worried for the future.
Pedersen out of the running then?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

wab
Mod

Burl wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:40 am This is SO Bears.
Just completely ignore the obvious choice.
Come on!
You assume the Bears have all of the control in this situation? On the contrary...Harbaugh has all of the control. It's not like the Bears can just draft the guy as their coach.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:33 am

Well put me down for Brian Flores.
Bowles
Daboll
Eberflus
Flores
Frazier
Hackett
Leftwich
Pederson
Quinn

I like Flores. People suck at their jobs and he fires them. Gee imagine that? Accountability.

He’s from The Hoodie and has beaten him several times.

He inherited a shit show at Miami and had them on the upswing with no talent to speak of when those dumbasses fired him for hating the GM because the GM sucked at his job.

That’s the kind of guy I want.

The only thing holding this back is that I think the McCaskey’s are a bunch of pussies and couldn’t handle an alpha guy like that walking around. It’s the main reason why this franchise has sucked for 40 years.
Last edited by The Marshall Plan on Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wab
Mod

I'd say my preference for HC is:
1a: Flores
1b: Quinn
2: Bowles
3: Eberflus
4: Daboll
5: Hackett
6: Leftwich
7: Frazier
8: Pederson

Although 2/3/4 are pretty interchangeable, depending on the day.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

I like Flores, all of the hardheadedness of Harbaugh with none of the proven track record. Sign me up!
wab
Mod

All in all, aside from a couple of guys (Frazier and to a lesser extent Pederson), this list is pretty inspiring.

Although I do have this sinking feeling that it'll be Pederson.
wab
Mod

IE wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:03 am I don't get this. I want to win & the Texans haven't won anything ever. Hitting on a handful of first rounders over several years should be minimum qualification for someone who's actually made picks. But coming from a winning program/background has to be a core requirement. I want a GM from a winning program and winning lineage.
You have to look at what the Texans were before Smith was hired, and look at them after he was let go.

He has had success:

4 playoff appearances
11 Pro Bowlers drafted
etc

I'm still on the Dodds train, but yes, the Bears could do much worse.
UOK
Site Admin

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:46 pm

He has had success:

4 playoff appearances
11 Pro Bowlers drafted
etc

I like Dodds #1, Smith #2.

Which means it'll be Jeff fucking Ireland.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

dplank
Hall of Famer

I'll shit myself if we hire Ireland. He is a laughing stock here in Miami.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:49 pm
wab wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:46 pm
I like Dodds #1, Smith #2.

Which means it'll be Jeff fucking Ireland.
Smith is up there for sure. Dodds first. Then Adolfo-Mensah/Wolfe/Khan/Smith/Schoen is some order.

But yeah, it'll probably be Pederson and Ireland.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:19 pm I'd say my preference for HC is:
1a: Flores
1b: Quinn
2: Bowles
3: Eberflus
4: Daboll
5: Hackett
6: Leftwich
7: Frazier
8: Pederson

Although 2/3/4 are pretty interchangeable, depending on the day.
I've seen Quinn's name bandied about on Bears Twitter... not sure I get why though?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:55 pm Smith is up there for sure. Dodds first. Then Adolfo-Mensah/Wolfe/Khan/Smith/Schoen is some order.

But yeah, it'll probably be Pederson and Ireland.
:frustrated: :sad:

Uninspiring for sure
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

UOK
Site Admin

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

UOK wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:09 pm
Have they interviewed anyone else for GM besides Champ Kelly and the other guy from the Browns whose name I’m not going to try and spell?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I posted in the Cook thread as well, but for certainly here as well. Indirectly, this would indicate Kwesi is out of the running.
UOK
Site Admin

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:16 pm
UOK wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:09 pm
Have they interviewed anyone else for GM besides Champ Kelly and the other guy from the Browns whose name I’m not going to try and spell?
No idea. Jeff Ireland is happening here this afternoon.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:14 pm
Burl wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:40 am This is SO Bears.
Just completely ignore the obvious choice.
Come on!
You assume the Bears have all of the control in this situation? On the contrary...Harbaugh has all of the control. It's not like the Bears can just draft the guy as their coach.
That’s not my assumption. It may well be the case that Harbaugh has no/little interest in even making a change. But, if they aren’t actively beating down his door/ringing his phone off the hook, they’re just wrong.

We all thought/knew Arians was the guy. Same thing. He was the obvious choice. Bears went with Trestman. Arians is the reigning SB champ.

It’s the move to make. Grow some balls and MAKE it happen.
Flores, ok, he’s the poor man’s version but I’ll take it.
Just no Pederson, Frazier, etc.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I want the nerd from Pittsburg.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:33 am

Well put me down for Brian Flores.
Bowles
Daboll
Eberflus
Flores
Frazier
Hackett
Leftwich
Pederson
Quinn

That list sucks.
dave99
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:48 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:16 pm

No idea. Jeff Ireland is happening here this afternoon.
https://bearswire.usatoday.com/lists/be ... r-profile/
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
dplank
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:30 pm
That’s not my assumption. It may well be the case that Harbaugh has no/little interest in even making a change. But, if they aren’t actively beating down his door/ringing his phone off the hook, they’re just wrong.

We all thought/knew Arians was the guy. Same thing. He was the obvious choice. Bears went with Trestman. Arians is the reigning SB champ.

Yep, 100% agree.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Burl wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:30 pm

You can’t make someone want a job. And if you had several options, would a team ran by an accountant that has a laundry list of incompetent moves (from vetoing the trade up to draft LaDanian Thomas to hiring Emery to forcing a coach he didn’t want on him) and the fan that is uncomfortable when his employees ask him for input on football really be somewhere you would want to go?
dplank
Hall of Famer

The hope is that they are trying hard and keeping it quiet. I noticed there's zero smoke around Day or Fitzgerald either, so maybe it's a college courtesy sort of thing - I hope. That said, Harbaugh has expressed interest in the NFL and he has obvious ties to Chicago. George is a billionaire. Billionaires can be very convincing when they really want something. He can't hold a gun to his head, but he can roll out the red carpet and do everything he can to make it happen. It's the obvious move and the right move. This franchise desperately needs a move like this to inject life into it. Hiring another failed retread or coordinator isn't good enough - not this time. Read the room George!

And WTF is up with the Dan Quinn love? I'd rather have Pederson, and good lord I do NOT want Pederson, but Quinn? Why?
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

dplank wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 pm The hope is that they are trying hard and keeping it quiet. I noticed there's zero smoke around Day or Fitzgerald either, so maybe it's a college courtesy sort of thing - I hope. That said, Harbaugh has expressed interest in the NFL and he has obvious ties to Chicago. George is a billionaire. Billionaires can be very convincing when they really want something. He can't hold a gun to his head, but he can roll out the red carpet and do everything he can to make it happen. It's the obvious move and the right move. This franchise desperately needs a move like this to inject life into it. Hiring another failed retread or coordinator isn't good enough - not this time. Read the room George!

And WTF is up with the Dan Quinn love? I'd rather have Pederson, and good lord I do NOT want Pederson, but Quinn? Why?
He’s a good defensive coach that went to a SuperBowl as a head coach and has a track record of success in identifying and hiring good offensive coordinators.

Anyway, I’ve been watching this video breaking down the coaching candidates while I’m making dinner—they’re doing film break downs the one I’m still on is Tampa vs Buffalo. It really looks like Fields would fit well in Daboll’s offense and it’s crazy how much more space Buffalo has on their passing plays:

dplank
Hall of Famer

I’ll just add this re: Harbaugh. The Arians thing is relevant IMO. Arians wanted the job and was the obvious choice, but Bears. Trestor the Molestor, I mean, it’s laughable.

Now Harbaugh is rumored interested in the NFL again. 44-19, 3 straight NCF championship games, ex 1st pick QB and f the Bears Harbaugh, that guy. It couldn’t be more obvious, and a “but Bears” concern is very legit.

No one is naive here. We understand Harbaugh may not come back to the NFL at all, and may prefer another team even if he did. Got it. But history informs us not to trust the Bears to even try! That would be unforgivable. And unfortunately, secrecy may prevent us from ever knowing. If I’m George, I am damn sure letting my fans know I tried though, and you can do that without violating and secrets of Harbaugh if you made a promise. He could just say “Bears fans, I tried to get him. He simply wants to stay at Michigan, but I tried.” No harm to Harbaugh or anyone doing that.

I’m still holding out hope that he’s doing this right now and he’s kept it quiet because he still hopes to land him. Unlikely but Im not giving up until it’s over.

Agree on Daboll BTW…open receivers everywhere with them.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Agree with Dplank! 100%
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

dplank wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:25 pm I’ll just add this re: Harbaugh. The Arians thing is relevant IMO. Arians wanted the job and was the obvious choice, but Bears. Trestor the Molestor, I mean, it’s laughable.

Now Harbaugh is rumored interested in the NFL again. 44-19, 3 straight NCF championship games, ex 1st pick QB and f the Bears Harbaugh, that guy. It couldn’t be more obvious, and a “but Bears” concern is very legit.

No one is naive here. We understand Harbaugh may not come back to the NFL at all, and may prefer another team even if he did. Got it. But history informs us not to trust the Bears to even try! That would be unforgivable. And unfortunately, secrecy may prevent us from ever knowing. If I’m George, I am damn sure letting my fans know I tried though, and you can do that without violating and secrets of Harbaugh if you made a promise. He could just say “Bears fans, I tried to get him. He simply wants to stay at Michigan, but I tried.” No harm to Harbaugh or anyone doing that.

I’m still holding out hope that he’s doing this right now and he’s kept it quiet because he still hopes to land him. Unlikely but Im not giving up until it’s over.

Agree on Daboll BTW…open receivers everywhere with them.
I wanted Harbaugh but here is your coach for next year!!! You want dysfunction, do this.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.