Chicago Bears fire HC Matt Nagy & GM Ryan Pace

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Z Bear
MVP

wab wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:15 am
Z Bear wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:14 am No way the family dumps the golden egg....I bet anyone $5 that the family gives all their stock to George when she passes so they can keep the money rolling in. With some sort of agreement or trust that they get their fair shares when George passes or they decide to sell.
Yeah but that's not how it works.
I get that Virginia has it set up to split her stock amongst her kids and grandkids, but then they will be forced to sell since there will not be a majority owner. There is nothing preventing all the kids and grandskids from giving their stock to George after that so he can be the majority owner.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:49 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:41 pm Why in the world would the family ever even consider selling the team. I understand the thought that some want that, but the bears have been owned by the same family for their entire existence. Until they that are currently involved die off and the younger generation come out and say they want rid of it, it's all smoke and mirrors to me.

The stadium is full even when they suck, and it always will be. Owning the chicago bears is basically printing money. Building the new stadium/site/complex will be a license to print even more money.

Yeah, fans may be pissed at the moment, but they still show up at the games, buy tickets, buy jerseys and keep spending money. The chicago bears are chicago.
There are a ton of financial implications that the family will have to deal with and face after Ginny passes. It's outlined pretty well in the Arlington Park thread.
I would be willing to bet my house that these have already been planned for many moons ago. Hell Al Davis was broke and Mark Davis still owns the Raiders. The bears already have the corporate structure, created in Delaware advantages, possibly non revocable life insurance trusts on Virginia among other possibilities.

They can also defer the tax, create a trust to pay it out over a certain time.

George has been on record as stating they will own the bears until the second coming.
wab
Mod

Z Bear wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:52 am
wab wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:15 am
Yeah but that's not how it works.
I get that Virginia has it set up to split her stock amongst her kids and grandkids, but then they will be forced to sell since there will not be a majority owner. There is nothing preventing all the kids and grandskids from giving their stock to George after that so he can be the majority owner.
Well yeah, they can give him whatever they want. But not all of that is exempt from gift tax. To avoid any step-up in cost basis, they'd have to receive the stock from Ginny before she dies, and then gift it to George. Plus there's a holding period on gifted stock.

I'm sure there's creative ways that they can do it, and they have an army of accountants, but at some point the bill will come due.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Why would anyone give away a piece of something that is worth billions and unlikely to lose value anytime soon?

That would be unbelievably stupid on their part. Who cares about George running the Bears when they have an amazing financial asset thrown in their lap?

I mean if they don’t collectively decide to sell there’s still a chance someone extremely wealthy could pay a nice premium on those.
UOK
Site Admin

Any fan narrative about the McCaskey family selling should be tabled until George passes away, and even then if he has children, maybe one of them would want to run the show. Who the fuck knows?
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

UOK wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:22 am Any fan narrative about the McCaskey family selling should be tabled until George passes away, and even then if he has children, maybe one of them would want to run the show. Who the fuck knows?
I don’t agree. Pat Bowlen wanted one of his kids to take over the Broncos but after he died in fighting started and lawsuits were filed. And now the Broncos are going to be sold.

I don’t know the details about Virginia’s will but if the reports about are doling out a piece to all of her children and grandchildren are true, I’m not sure why anyone would have confidence in George McCaskey to be able to get that many people to fall in line.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:36 am
UOK wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:22 am Any fan narrative about the McCaskey family selling should be tabled until George passes away, and even then if he has children, maybe one of them would want to run the show. Who the fuck knows?
I don’t agree. Pat Bowlen wanted one of his kids to take over the Broncos but after he died in fighting started and lawsuits were filed. And now the Broncos are going to be sold.

I don’t know the details about Virginia’s will but if the reports about are doling out a piece to all of her children and grandchildren are true, I’m not sure why anyone would have confidence in George McCaskey to be able to get that many people to fall in line.
Pat’s estate was also in trust and it has taken 8 years to get to the point of sale. Pat’s kids were also not heavily involved with running the show and he didn’t pick any singular one to run the show. Virginia’s are running the show and are involved and Virginia has picked George to run the show. One would assume the trust is set up similarly.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:30 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:35 pm It’s a nice dream. The McCaskey’s are certainly on The Thin Ice with fans. The Happiest Days of Our Lives were way back in the 1980s and we’ve had enough of failure.

Let’s be honest though, it doesn’t matter how many Empty Spaces there are in the stands, Mother will never allow her children to sell Grandpa’s team. If she got even a whiff that her sons were wondering Is There Anybody Out There who might buy the team she’d be straight on the phone yelling “Bring the Boys Back Home right now! What do you mean there’s Nobody Home? Don’t give me that. I need to seem them In The Flesh right now!”

And even though she’s close to saying Goodbye Cruel World and lying six feet under Waiting For The Worms, she'd be telling them in no uncertain terms “Hey You, Stop this nonsense! I understand this Young Lust for money but you can say Goodbye Blue Sky thinking about selling up right this instant. This franchise may be Run Like Hell but The Show Must Go On with the Halas/McCaskey family in charge just as it always has been. Before the first brick is laid in the first wall of this new Arlington Heights project let alone Another Brick In The Wall, I want your cast iron guarantee that you will never ever sell this team. Oh and if I hear so much as another whisper about this Outside the Wall of this building they'll be hell to pay. Now get out of here before I have One Of My Turns! Where’s my nurse? Vera? Where the heck have you got to?!”
No one's going to Meddle with Bears ownership while Mrs. McCaskey is still alive. It's Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun and hold on for the ride.

HRS, what can I say, great post with all the references to my favorite band.
Inspired by the last game day chat of the season. Glad someone got and appreciated it. ;)

dplank
Hall of Famer

My words to Matt Nagy every Sunday: One of these days I'm going to chop you into little pieces.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:16 pm
Grizzled wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:30 am

No one's going to Meddle with Bears ownership while Mrs. McCaskey is still alive. It's Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun and hold on for the ride.

HRS, what can I say, great post with all the references to my favorite band.
Inspired by the last game day chat of the season. Glad someone got and appreciated it. ;)

David Gilmour is a guitar God. Full stop.
docc
Head Coach

..yes he is..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:29 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:16 pm

I love all you guys for your love of Pink Floyd.

Can we nominate Pink Floyd as the official band of this forum?

I'm gonna start a thread in the Lounge.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:18 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:29 pm

:toast: Definitely, TMP, I'd go for that. I started a thread in the general forum about great concerts we've seen and my #1 was Pink
Floyd. Gilmour is a guitar god. Waters is an egotistical douche (although quite talented).
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

IMO Pace has a future in the NFL as a GM. He just couldn't justify the current status and overcome the reality of his many mistakes as a young learning GM. He couldn't tell a story that was convincing enough that he would be good going forward. But I do think he has gotten better and will step in somewhere and pick up where he left off (recent draft success) somewhere as an assistant GM and in a few years get a second chance.

Nagy, OTOH, I believe is never going to get an NFL HC or play-calling job again. It is astonishing to say, but I don't know if I've ever seen a more inept, incoherent, unblockable and just plain pathetic/awful offense in the NFL OR college. I even think the "creative play design" comments from analysts were more about trying to find *something* good to say about Nagy to serve as balance for all the bad. I can't believe he'll ever have an offensive coaching job again. Maybe a D3 college head coach where he can rah-rah the players... but anyone that hires him is going to struggle to keep him from trying his best to destroy whatever offense they have.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:18 am

:toast: Definitely, TMP, I'd go for that. I started a thread in the general forum about great concerts we've seen and my #1 was Pink
Floyd. Gilmour is a guitar god. Waters is an egotistical douche (although quite talented).
What about Buddy Guy?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

BUDDY GUY!!!!!! HELL YES :headbang:

Love the Blues and love Buddy. Seen him a few times. Been to his club (the old one ) on Wabash. Had some good southern food and jammed that night to Duke Robillard. It was the day the Cardinal pitcher was found dead in the hotel downtown Chicago. I think his last name was Kile?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:45 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:47 am

What about Buddy Guy?
Love me some Buddy. Saw him a few years ago in Tacoma, still bringing it at 80+. Maybe he could be the house rocker.
otis
Pro Bowler

If the bears had fired Nagy last year, how do the coaching candidates from last year compare to the candidates from this year? Would pace still be around? Do you think the brass told him he had to stick with nagy? I imagine he wanted to fire nagy last year just to save his job but got over ruled. It seems like Flores is in the lead for coach. Who would of have been in the lead last year? And how do they stack up compared to this year's crop?
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

otis wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:41 pm If the bears had fired Nagy last year, how do the coaching candidates from last year compare to the candidates from this year? Would pace still be around? Do you think the brass told him he had to stick with nagy? I imagine he wanted to fire nagy last year just to save his job but got over ruled. It seems like Flores is in the lead for coach. Who would of have been in the lead last year? And how do they stack up compared to this year's crop?
Pace might have been able to survive if he’d been more manipulative and thrown Nagy under the bus which is what some speculated happened in Miami(supported by all of the hit pieces that came out after he was fired)—and what is often the case when a coach survives and the GM doesn’t.

I didn’t like Pace but respect him a person for not doing that.

Last years coach hires were:

Urban Meyer
Brandon Staley
Robert Saleh
Arthur Smith
Dan Campbell
David Culley
Nick Siriani

I believe Leslie Frazier was a finalist for the Texans job but may not have wanted it and I don’t think he’s a hire that would have excited a lot of Bears fans. Not sure about the other names that were interviewed but not hired.
otis
Pro Bowler

Well, two of them are gone already. One made the playoffs. I'm think I'm glad we waited to can Nagy for this year's crop. Maybe the chargers guy but i don't think he inspires anyone.
Z Bear
MVP

Brandon Staley has made a lot of questionable calls, including one that most likely cost his team a playoff spot.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

otis wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:41 pm If the bears had fired Nagy last year, how do the coaching candidates from last year compare to the candidates from this year? Would pace still be around? Do you think the brass told him he had to stick with nagy? I imagine he wanted to fire nagy last year just to save his job but got over ruled.
It will be interesting to see if we ever get any honest, credible info on that.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Moriarty wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:08 am
otis wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:41 pm If the bears had fired Nagy last year, how do the coaching candidates from last year compare to the candidates from this year? Would pace still be around? Do you think the brass told him he had to stick with nagy? I imagine he wanted to fire nagy last year just to save his job but got over ruled.
It will be interesting to see if we ever get any honest, credible info on that.
Doubt we ever will get answers for last years decisions... Pace would probably have still stood by his "convictions" thinking Nagy would turn it around. Lol
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

What will happen if the Bears are blown away by a HC interview and want to snap the guy up? How many GM candidates get chapped by being cut out if the process and decide they can't work with this regime?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:22 pm What will happen if the Bears are blown away by a HC interview and want to snap the guy up? How many GM candidates get chapped by being cut out if the process and decide they can't work with this regime?
A good question.

My guess is "most of them, particularly the more experienced and more desirable ones".
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Maybe they will quickly winnow their GM/HC candidates down to a handful of each.

Then do final interviews with the GM finalists and make a decision on the GM.

Then the new GM can conduct final interviews with the 3 to 5 HC finalists and hire his new coach.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:22 pm What will happen if the Bears are blown away by a HC interview and want to snap the guy up? How many GM candidates get chapped by being cut out if the process and decide they can't work with this regime?
Yeah there's that.

My thought is that it depends on the HC they hire.

If they hire some also-ran candidate like Frazier then I can see it impacting the GM candidate pool.

If it's Tier 1 like Harbaugh or Day then who cares.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

pus wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:16 pm Maybe they will quickly winnow their GM/HC candidates down to a handful of each.

Then the new GM can conduct final interviews with the 3 to 5 HC finalists and hire his new coach.
Hopefully, they don’t force the GM into just considering their favorites and let him hire who he wants.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:31 pm
pus wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:16 pm Maybe they will quickly winnow their GM/HC candidates down to a handful of each.

Hopefully, they don’t force the GM into just considering their favorites and let him hire who he wants.
Good point - my Nagy.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

The way we keep adding candidates, it would seem the HC position would be by GM preference... That said, we have seen the whole charade before with George & Ted. Maybe the Bill Pollian influence will make a difference this time.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka