General Manager/Head Coach Interview Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Burl
Crafty Veteran

I used to think, until pretty recently, that most fans’ complaints about ownership, Ted Phillips, etc were overblown but my mind has changed.
I didn’t fully understand that Ted decided to fire Angelo and that George just went along with it. I thought that was some kind of result of a power struggle between Lovie and JA. Then, when they went with Emery and how that whole thing shook out. The recent Jahns article was just so revealing.

They’re truly numbskulls. Just happened to be born rich.
IotaNet
MVP

Burl wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:05 pm I used to think, until pretty recently, that most fans’ complaints about ownership, Ted Phillips, etc were overblown but my mind has changed.
I didn’t fully understand that Ted decided to fire Angelo and that George just went along with it. I thought that was some kind of result of a power struggle between Lovie and JA. Then, when they went with Emery and how that whole thing shook out. The recent Jahns article was just so revealing.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. As a businessman, I was willing to give the family the benefit of the doubt that they were reasonably good businesspeople.

If this article is to be believed, they’re a bunch of idiots whose sole claim to fame is that they inherited well.

It’s sad — and the city really deserves better.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Sugashane
Player of the Month

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:43 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:38 am Why do we want another QB Whisperer type after dealing with the McNagy Shit Show for 4 years?

Daboll would be the HC for the entire team. He can't sit there with Fields and be 1 on 1 with him the entire time.

This is why the QB Coach and OC are so damn important.

No more Coordinator Of The Month types. Let's learn from McNagy.

No soup for Daboll.
Can't overreact so far in the other direction because of Nagy. If you can grab a great offensive coach who actually coaches offense well that's still incredibly valuable. Yes he has to tick the other areas. And make sure he can actually follow through on thr offense goods (something Nagy hadn't really proven)
Exactly. Fox had the defense handed to Fangio and played the "entire team" head coach, but he can't be what scares you off of a HC being in a more "oversight" role either. There are way too many facets of being a HC for that.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:46 pm Daboll just needs to run tape of this game for his interview lol.
No doubt... To be fair, both Daboll and Frazier could use the tape... That was one of the most impressive ass whopping of the Pats I have ever seen... Loved it.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
dave99
Assistant Coach

bearsoldier wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:18 am
The Cooler King wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:46 pm Daboll just needs to run tape of this game for his interview lol.
No doubt... To be fair, both Daboll and Frazier could use the tape... That was one of the most impressive ass whopping of the Pats I have ever seen... Loved it.
I want a HC that can identify quality coordinators like Daboll and Frazier.
Fun fact: From 1954-59 the NY Giants top two assistant coaches were Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry. I forget the head coaches name.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

dave99 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:46 am
I want a HC that can identify quality coordinators like Daboll and Frazier.
Fun fact: From 1954-59 the NY Giants top two assistant coaches were Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry. I forget the head coaches name.
McDermott certainly knows how to bring in good coaches... I also would not be surprised if Ken Dorsey, hired as QB coach in 2019, gets a shot at the OC opening should Daboll leave this year.

As for your fun fact, Jim Lee Howell... I looked it up and he was the Giants HC of that era. Must have had a great eye for hiring coaches for his staff. Two all time greats for sure.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Add Jim Caldwell and Nathaniel Hackett to the list of HC interviews. Both are in their mid-60s so wouldn't be long term answers. Caldwell is very solid, having learned from Dungy. He mentored Peyton Manning, Joe Flacco, and Matthew Stafford so he can develop QBs. He gave the Lions (!) 4 of their most successful years in recent memory. Hackett is credited with improving Erin.

Daboll's stock just went out the roof after the Bills destroyed NE and Josh Allen had about as good a game as possible to have. I'm not wedded to hiring an OC for HC but it would eliminate the issue of a Bears' OC getting hired away as the hot guy.

I like Cincy's OC also but he doesn't call plays:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/br ... ar-AASGaP8
Last edited by Grizzled on Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Artbest
Player of the Month

Hackett is 42

quote=Grizzled post_id=285382 time=1642346622 user_id=2351]
Add Jim Caldwell and Nathaniel Hackett to the list of HC interviews. Both are in their mid-60s so wouldn't be long term answers. Caldwell is very solid, having learned from Dungy. He mentored Peyton Manning, Joe Flacco, and Matthew Stafford so he can develop QBs. He gave the Lions (!) 4 of their most successful years in recent memory. Hackett is credited with improving Erin.
[/quote]
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

His stock just exploded after the Bills kicked the Pats all over the field last night and Josh Allen was almost perfect in his performance. One thing about a guy like Daboll is that other teams won't hire away your OC after a few years.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:32 am His stock just exploded after the Bills kicked the Pats all over the field last night and Josh Allen was almost perfect in his performance. One thing about a guy like Daboll is that other teams won't hire away your OC after a few years.
I see how that would be true.
Artbest
Player of the Month

I think Daboll may be headed to Miami - their gm is meeting with Daboll in person today. I think he may agree to terms by tonight
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:26 am Hackett is 42

quote=Grizzled post_id=285382 time=1642346622 user_id=2351]
[/quote]

My bad, thought I read weeks ago that he was 67. Caldwell is 66.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I have a feeling Flores is the guy. Or at least a very good chance. They're either doing their homework on him hard or building out his staff.

Since he interviewed the following interviews/requests were announced:

1. Caldwell (hired by Flores but stepped down for health reasons only a few months in)
2. Ossenfort, overlapped in New England
3. McKenzie, has spent the past few years in Miami with Flores.
UOK
Site Admin

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

10 members of the Board of Directors. 5 are McCaskeys. 2 are McKenna and Pat Ryan. None have any football experience. It's no mystery why George and Ted are retained and the ineptitude continues. Rooney and Mara kids were football guys by the time they took top positions with their organizations.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:43 pm I have a feeling Flores is the guy. Or at least a very good chance. They're either doing their homework on him hard or building out his staff.

1. Caldwell (hired by Flores but stepped down for health reasons only a few months in)
UOK wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:53 pm
Not wanting this to happen, but can certainly see the alignment. Suppose it is also a good way to take a deeper look at the possibility if Flores outlined what he wanted.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Notably would mean they are willing to hire Flores as HC first. If that comes to pass just don't BS us about it George. Tell us why this coach was one who could lead football for the org.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Artbest wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:20 pm I think Daboll may be headed to Miami - their gm is meeting with Daboll in person today. I think he may agree to terms by tonight
The fact that he was the OC in 2011 and likely has some ties to the org from his past make it seem to be a strong possibility.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Burl wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:05 pm I used to think, until pretty recently, that most fans’ complaints about ownership, Ted Phillips, etc were overblown but my mind has changed.

Can you please post/re-post the link? Thank you.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

More fuel linking Daboll to Miami...
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bria ... ead-coach/
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:43 pm I have a feeling Flores is the guy. Or at least a very good chance. They're either doing their homework on him hard or building out his staff.

Maybe not:

(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:57 pm

Maybe not:

Supports my theory :) . McCaskeys are in competition so working hard to assemble a more appealing scenario.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:57 pm

Maybe not:

Would you trade JF1 for Deshaun Watson? No matter how implausible, thought provoking.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wiNDycityfan wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:02 pm Would you trade JF1 for Deshaun Watson? No matter how implausible, thought provoking.
Not this off season ;)
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Was anyone persuaded towards Daboll by last night’s performance from the Bills.

Fields running that offense is a pretty tantalizing prospect.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:34 pm Was anyone persuaded towards Daboll by last night’s performance from the Bills.

You bet. Would hate another coordinator, but if there would be one it should be Bills or Ravens OCs.
otis
Pro Bowler

the giants do have two high first round picks to trade. throw in next years first and maybe a random 3rd and houston bites i bet.
wab
Mod

otis wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:46 pm the giants do have two high first round picks to trade. throw in next years first and maybe a random 3rd and houston bites i bet.
Giants get Watson for three firsts, a third, and Jones. I could see that.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:34 pm Was anyone persuaded towards Daboll by last night’s performance from the Bills.

No single game should move anyone that much but it certainly was a good reaffirmation of why I found him interesting.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Officially completed interviews with Daboll and Schoen. Frazier was initially supposed to be today too, but was moved.

Next few days should be busy as this is when coaches who coached in the WC round can interview. Then that is the last coach interviews allowed until SB bye week or their team is eliminated, I believe.

So we should see Frazier, Bowles, Leftwich, and Quinn early this week. I don't think theybe done Eberflus yet either though there should be no hold up there. Lots of GM candidate to get through as well and none of these are presumably even full interviews yet. Brown, Dodds, Carthon, Smith, Khan, Wolf, Wooden. McKenzie.

Hard to believe anything final even by the end of this week. So I got my eye on the week of the 24th now.