General Manager/Head Coach Interview Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Oh man, now I'm getting excited about Quinn. That all sounds really good to me. And I love hearing that the Jags were turned down even though he's interviewing with 3 other teams, so much for the Jags job being considered superior to the Bears job eh? haha!
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:06 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:58 pm I wanted someone who’s likely to stick around for 10yrs. Someone who could mentor Fields and help him reach his potential.

With Cauldwell we’d be doing this again, starting again in 3-4 years time due to his advancing years.

I feel it’s a missed opportunity.
He wouldn't be the oldest coach in the league or anything, he's 67. Carroll is 70, Belichick and Arians are 69. Romeo Crennel was hired at 73. And really, it's hard to think past a 5 year window in the NFL anyways - the odds of Eberflus or anyone else becoming a 10 year coach here is pretty slim. I want whoever will get the most out of Justin Fields, so I'm looking 3 years out when his rookie deal is up.
Arians already retired once and said he’d only came back because Leftwich was calling plays. Seahawks fans are growing weary of Caroll. Last season their slim playoff hopes were killed when he couldn’t beat a Matt Nagy coached team.

Crenell wasn’t hired he was appointed as an interim coach after O’Brein was fired and went 4-8.

Bill Belichick is the GOAT.
UOK
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:34 pm
I'm pulling for Eberflus, but the Quinn hire would not disappoint me. I think he's got a lot of motivation to prove himself after the Falcons' gig. I also think he's a great DC.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:07 pm
dplank wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:38 pm I'm surprised there's been absolutely no chatter around Fitzgerald or Day. Even if my Harbaugh dream is dashed, those two guys would excite me a lot more than Eberflus would. I know jack squat about Eberflus, I hear all the nice talk but bottom line he's totally unproven.
I'm kind of surprised there's so much pushback in here against first time head coaches. 14 teams in the playoffs this year. Of those, 10 of them featured coaches who that was their first head coaching gig.
I wouldn't be surprised, given the Bears are coming off a first time HC, who was in WAY over his head.

Now that is an intriguing statistic.
But of the 18 who didn't get in, how many were 1st timers?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IotaNet
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:57 pm I wouldn't be surprised, given the Bears are coming off a first time HC, who was in WAY over his head ...
I agree. I think Poles is going to want someone who knows how to "right the ship" but who will also have instant credibility in the locker room.

From the reports we've heard after Nagy was fired, there appears to be some broken-ness that needs to be addressed and course-corrected.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
dave99
Assistant Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:20 pm Oh man, now I'm getting excited about Quinn. That all sounds really good to me. And I love hearing that the Jags were turned down even though he's interviewing with 3 other teams, so much for the Jags job being considered superior to the Bears job eh? haha!
I really like the idea that he can put together a quality staff that knows him and works well with him.
So many of our prior head coaches seemed to cobble together disparate pieces and parts of (often second or third tier) and nobody ever seemed to be on the same page.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Just Say No to Dan Quinn.

He's Mr. Mediocre.

At least with a guy like Bowles you'll get an above average defense. Maybe even elite with our personnel.
Middleguard
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:57 pm
RustinFields wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:07 pm

I'm kind of surprised there's so much pushback in here against first time head coaches. 14 teams in the playoffs this year. Of those, 10 of them featured coaches who that was their first head coaching gig.
I wouldn't be surprised, given the Bears are coming off a first time HC, who was in WAY over his head.

Now that is an intriguing statistic.
But of the 18 who didn't get in, how many were 1st timers?
10 of 14 or 71% got in
14.5 of 18 or 81% did not get in
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:44 pm Just Say No to Dan Quinn.

He's Mr. Mediocre.

At least with a guy like Bowles you'll get an above average defense. Maybe even elite with our personnel.
Sounds like it’s gonna be Quinn though. Bowles was never really under consideration it seems.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Head Coach Hot-List (re-rank edition)

1. Brian Flores. The Goat. Culture builder. Ass Kicker. Hates all Offensive Coordinators, including his own.

2. Dan Quinn. Experienced. Built a very strong staff in Atlanta. Super Bowl experience. 28-3 might have broken him.

3. Todd Bowles. Leader. Has experience - albeit with the Jets. Super Bowl experience as a DC. Might still have a little of that Jets funk on him.

4. Jim Caldwell. Respect. Experienced. Respected. Was successful in Detroit. Coached in a Super Bowl. Age is unfortunately an issue.

5. Matt Eberflus. Fun name. Done nothing particularly of note. His press conferences are better than Melatonin if you're having trouble sleeping.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:56 pm Head Coach Hot-List (re-rank edition)

1. Brian Flores. The Goat. Culture builder. Ass Kicker. Hates all Offensive Coordinators, including his own.

2. Dan Quinn. Experienced. Built a very strong staff in Atlanta. Super Bowl experience. 28-3 might have broken him.

3. Todd Bowles. Leader. Has experience - albeit with the Jets. Super Bowl experience as a DC. Might still have a little of that Jets funk on him.

4. Jim Caldwell. Respect. Experienced. Respected. Was successful in Detroit. Coached in a Super Bowl. Age is unfortunately an issue.

5. Matt Eberflus. Fun name. Done nothing particularly of note. His press conferences are better than Melatonin if you're having trouble sleeping.
One thing I am absolutely certain of. I love hashing out all the unknowns and could-be's online with you Yahoos. Thanks for making a rough off-season entertaining and educational. Except for G08. He has no idea what he's talking about. :-D
dplank
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:21 pm
dplank wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:20 pm Oh man, now I'm getting excited about Quinn. That all sounds really good to me. And I love hearing that the Jags were turned down even though he's interviewing with 3 other teams, so much for the Jags job being considered superior to the Bears job eh? haha!
I really like the idea that he can put together a quality staff that knows him and works well with him.
So many of our prior head coaches seemed to cobble together disparate pieces and parts of (often second or third tier) and nobody ever seemed to be on the same page.
This is a really good point about our prior hires, they slapped together a staff that mostly hadn’t worked together. Mark Helfrich was uninspiring. And he lucked in to Fangio then chunked it when he panic hired Pagano. Tabor seemed a rando hire from another team. The staff didn’t seem gelled and it manifested on the field it seems.
UOK
Site Admin

dplank
Hall of Famer

Any chance it’s Quinn and Caldwell OC?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’ve got a sinking feeling that it’s going to be Caldwell and Poles is just toeing the party (McCaskey) line.

Same old then

:frustrated: :bored: :thumbdown:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:05 pm I’ve got a sinking feeling that it’s going to be Caldwell and Poles is just toeing the party (McCaskey) line.

Same old then

:frustrated: :bored: :thumbdown:
When I heard he was taking over the interviews I had a feeling he wouldn’t let Quinn leave the building. I guess I was wrong.

I hope you’re wrong too.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

dplank
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:56 pm Head Coach Hot-List (re-rank edition)

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:52 am Schefter saying that Jags haven't decided yet.

Jags are going to hire Leftwich. Ex NCAA QB. It's the feel good homecoming hire to repair the damage done by Douche Meyer. He's been around Brady and Arians for the last couple of years. I think that happens this week.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Please Jags, please hire Caldwell

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Just to get this straight in my head, teams looking for head coaches:

Bears
Vikings
Raiders
Jaguars
Broncos
Giants
Dolphins
Texans
Saints

And which teams have interviewed Jim Caldwell?

Just the Jaguars and the Bears.

That tells me a lot.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:20 pm Just to get this straight in my head, teams looking for head coaches:

Bears
Vikings
Raiders
Jaguars
Broncos
Giants
Dolphins
Texans
Saints

And which teams have interviewed Jim Caldwell?

Just the Jaguars and the Bears.

That tells me a lot.
That's because those other teams didn't hire "old as dirt" super consultant Bill Polian.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:12 pm
Dan Quinn playoff wins;

With Kyle Shanahan as OC - 3
Without - 0
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

If Quinn was good at attracting a capable staff maybe he would still be a head coach.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

pus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:02 pm If he was so good at attracting a quality staff I think he would still be a head coach.
Dimitrioff didn’t do him any favors with the roster in ATL. They got old and hurt. It’s why Dimitrioff was let go as well.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

pus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:02 pm If Quinn was good at attracting a capable staff maybe he would still be a head coach.
Give all the credit to Shanahan for the wins (who Quinn hired) or claim he can’t attract a capable staff. Pick one.

Also, Quinn led the Falcons to a road victory over the Rams in the playoffs after Shanahan was gone, so Bear Whiskey Nut is giving him credit for a Falcons win when he was coaching the 49’ers.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:20 pm
pus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:02 pm If Quinn was good at attracting a capable staff maybe he would still be a head coach.
Give all the credit to Shanahan for the wins (who Quinn hired) or claim he can’t attract a capable staff. Pick one.

Also, Quinn led the Falcons to a road victory over the Rams in the playoffs after Shanahan was gone, so Bear Whiskey Nut is giving him credit for a Falcons win when he was coaching the 49’ers.
Maybe it is rocket science, after all.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

You're learning!

I also like how you prophecy Flores as The GOAT. Bonus points.

BFF. Brian Francisco Flores has something that other candidates do not.

Upside.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:44 am
UOK wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:34 am
Do NOT make me start to come around on him.

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS