Coordinators/Coaches Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:09 pm
dplank wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:28 am Fantastic, sorry Yogi!

But this is exactly right. This is what it looks like when you say that you will design an offense around Fields skill set. Use his legs, play action and deception, and attack the deep part of the field with JF1's incredible deep ball accuracy + ability to extend plays.

Bear the F--- DOWN!
No reason to be sorry. I have no problem with this. In fact, I have on problem with RPOs. I'm from fucking Oregon. What I have a problem with are the designed runs. In an RPO, you only run if you see that opening. If Fields sees an open alley I have no problem with him taking off. Take what the defense gives you. I also have no problem with him scrambling. This is different from a planned sweep where he HAS to run. In an RPO though, I think it should be emphasized to Fields that HE'S not to take off unless he sees it: Give it to Monty if it's there, pass, look for alley, scramble if you can, throw it away. Bam, bam, bam. Don't want to see a designed run from him unless it's a critical situation in a critical game.
Bill Polian had this to say during his appearance on the Waddle & Silvy Show:
"You look at what Justin has going for him, which is a remarkable arm, great mobility, good size, good ability to run the ball, highly combative guy... I mean all you've got to do is watch him run and do that pop up slide. I mean first thing we gotta do is, the quarterback coach has gotta do is, teach him a hook slide. I don't want him to get hit in the head any longer!"

"What he needs to do is learn his craft, to learn what the pro game is all about. He didn't have a chance to do that last year. He was thrust into a complex offense that he had no experience with, under center where he had no experience at Ohio State. He wasn't ready to play and it showed. But there's a lot to work with there and both Ryan and Flus are committed to doing everything they can to make him successful because if he's successful the Bears will be successful."
So look out for a change in Fields' sliding technique next season fellas. :D

Unlike Nagy and his staff, these new coaches are going to be working all in on Fields as their starter and teaching him exactly how to execute every facet of their offense from Day One. I think we'll see a crispness in his execution and decision-making that we didn't see this past season.
GSH
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:21 pm Flus has got some loyal colleagues from the Colts.
This is a good sign for me, people want to work with him.
well sure, that or they know which side their bread is buttered with Reich probably not for long in indy.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

A little disappointed that Eberflus seems to have struck out on our first two options for ST coordinators - and let a very good ST coordinator already on-staff leave for Carolina. Twitter is saying that GB is prepared to outbid the Bears for Bisaccia. Thomas Guaghey just re-signed with the Giants.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:48 pm A little disappointed that Eberflus seems to have struck out on our first two options for ST coordinators - and let a very good ST coordinator already on-staff leave for Carolina. Twitter is saying that GB is prepared to outbid the Bears for Bisaccia. Thomas Guaghey just re-signed with the Giants.
Can't ask him to stick around while we have no GM or head coach. Tabor did what is best for himself, much like we all would have done.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Some tidbits about our new DC from Jason Lieser at the Sun Times:
Four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Darius Slay, now with the Eagles, enjoyed his four seasons playing for Williams so much that they still talk regularly.

“They got a good dude in him,” Slay said of the Bears. “Straight honest. And even if the honesty was negative, he was gonna give it to you in a respectful way, and that’s what it’s all about. Solid guy. I love him.”

Slay also said it was Williams’ idea in Detroit for Quandre Diggs to move from corner to safety. He has since made the Pro Bowl twice at his new position. The Bears could use some of that outside-the-box thinking to revamp their depleted secondary.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... t-eberflus
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A good article on our new OC and QB coach: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... s-contract

Two particularly interesting tidbits:
Beyond Getsy knowing technique and having a knack for deciphering defenses, LaFleur said he saw an exceptional ability to relate to players. Recognizing his potential, LaFleur handed play-calling duties to Getsy in preseason games last summer and got exactly what he expected.

‘‘Luke has been so ready for this opportunity for a really long time,’’ LaFleur said. ‘‘That was pretty evident in some of the preseason games, [with] his tempo and feel and being able to get the calls in crystal clear and being on the same page with the quarterbacks.’’

Janocko’s red-zone expertise also might help the Bears. That was one of his primary game-planning responsibilities for the Vikings, who finished ninth in red-zone touchdown percentage. The Bears were 30th.
It's not much, but it's something to know our first-time OC has a little experience with play calling even if it was only in preseason.

It's also good to know that our QB Coach has some expertise in red zone game-planning given how bad the team has been in that area in recent years.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Maybe its just me, but that's what I'd expect as a minimum. You have all this film out there, and all you have to do is pay attention. Playcalling tendencies, individual player tendencies when they are the primary read (like adjusting their gloves), or knowing they're getting the handoff and looking where they're going, or linemen breaking their splits down to be able to pull faster, or digging their hand in the dirt to get lower and get better leverage. It's all on film and all you have to do is look for it.

Many of us intuitively could predict Nagy's plays when they lined up. Most defenses knew what he was running also.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

IS HE GONNA BRING BACK ROBBIE??

No?

Oh

Good get anyway I guess? I don’t recall them being actively bad and I guess he’s been around Shannahan so he knows how to be in meetings or something with that system?
xyt in the discord chats
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:19 am
The guy that was just very publicly fired by the 49'ers? OK.

The 49'ers finished 15th, 21, 19, 27, and 25th in Gosselin's special teams rankings the last 5 years under Hightower. 4 straight years in the bottom half and never better than the 15th place they got in his first year.

This is a bad hire.

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Hightower held the same position the past five seasons in San Francisco. Another big hire for Matt Eberflus.

:D :clap:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I see a bunch of unflattering articles but now one about his firing…
xyt in the discord chats
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

I'm a god-damn sunshine pumper and even I am having trouble feigning excitement for this coaching staff.

OC: Getsy - complete unknown who called plays one season in college. Got the Aaron Rodgers stamp of approval for what that's worth.
DC: Alan WIlliams - 2 years as DC in Minny were a disaster. Long time Tony Dungy assistant so very familiar with Marinelli/Lovie/Dungy defense.
QB: Andrew Janocko - promoted to full position coach only 2 seasons ago.
WR: Tyke Tolbert - longtime assistant who looks to be the first who didn't just get Peter Principle'd into their new job
OL: Chris Morgan - another who appears to be qualified for the job.
DB: James Rowe - Eberflus assistan at Indy whose only NFL experience is under Eberflus
LB: Dave Borgonzi - looks qualified. Thats the most exciting thing you can say about him, 'looks qualified'.
ST: Richard Hightower - 5 straight years of bottom half ST's play in San Francisco.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:37 am I see a bunch of unflattering articles but now one about his firing…
I think I confused him with another San Fran coach that was asked to half his pay (it was the TE coach). Looks like San Francisco hadn't fired Hightower yet.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I have some hope this staff of offensive guys can install a type of Shanahan offense. The hard part is going to be drill each guy's roles and actions into them so they become second nature. It may take more than a year. My biggest fear, and why I wanted the Bears to hire an offensive guy for HC is if Getsy/Janocko make something out of JF and the Bears' offense, Getsy will be the hot hire in 2 years and the Bears will need to replace him. I like the Morgan hire, he knows the concepts well, can he teach them? I'm not too fond of the Williams hire, he wasn't successful before in the job. Maybe Flux will be looking over his shoulder and helping him out.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:57 am I have some hope this staff of offensive guys can install a type of Shanahan offense. The hard part is going to be drill each guy's roles and actions into them so they become second nature. It may take more than a year. My biggest fear, and why I wanted the Bears to hire an offensive guy for HC is if Getsy/Janocko make something out of JF and the Bears' offense, Getsy will be the hot hire in 2 years and the Bears will need to replace him. I like the Morgan hire, he knows the concepts well, can he teach them? I'm not too fond of the Williams hire, he wasn't successful before in the job. Maybe Flux will be looking over his shoulder and helping him out.
I look at it differently. If you hire an offensive HC, he won’t be able to dedicate as much time to Fields as you would like because he has a lot of other responsibilities. You’d get a weak 2nd (OCs for Offensive HCs are glorified assistants usually) mainly responsible for his development.

When you hire a defensive HC, your OC is a much stronger hire as he needs to autonomously run that side. And he won’t have any responsibilities other than offense so he can dedicate a lot more time to Fields. This dude from GB seems highly respected, I think we got it right in terms of Fields development.

With Fields, Jenkins, Borom, and Herbert all heading into Year 2 (plus Kmet and Mooney going to 3) - combined with the subtraction of McNagy, I am expecting a nice jump forward for our offense this year.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

This is definitely the first disappoining hire to me.

Unfortunately this isn't atypical trying to build out a new staff except there seemed to be real smoke earlier to a possible Bissaccia hire which would have been a grand slam hire. This is like fouling off the third strike a few times maybe in comparison.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:49 am
crueltyabc wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:37 am I see a bunch of unflattering articles but now one about his firing…
I think I confused him with another Special Teams coach that was asked to half his pay. Looks like San Francisco hadn't fired Hightower yet.
That was their TE coach/assistant head coach John Embree. And they wanted to take away his assistant head coach title to give it to Anthony Lynn—who will probably become their OC if McDaniel gets the Dolphins job.
OC: Getsy - complete unknown who called plays one season in college. Got the Aaron Rodgers stamp of approval for what that's worth.
DC: Alan WIlliams - 2 years as DC in Minny were a disaster. Long time Tony Dungy assistant so very familiar with Marinelli/Lovie/Dungy defense.
QB: Andrew Janocko - promoted to full position coach only 2 seasons ago.
WR: Tyke Tolbert - longtime assistant who looks to be the first who didn't just get Peter Principle'd into their new job
OL: Chris Morgan - another who appears to be qualified for the job.
DB: James Rowe - Eberflus assistan at Indy whose only NFL experience is under Eberflus
LB: Dave Borgonzi - looks qualified. Thats the most exciting thing you can say about him, 'looks qualified'.
ST: Richard Hightower - 5 straight years of bottom half ST's play in San Francisco.
OC: Getsy is a coach with over a decade of experience and several years in the Shanahan system, plus several years in other systems. Added the RPO elements to the Packers offense and designed the Packers 3rd down plays. The Packers were top 10 in 3rd down conversion. An ascending offensive mind that has already had multiple head coach interviews.

DC: Williams is an experienced DC that has worked with Eberflus for years, so will know what he wants. His time as DC was likely made to look worse than it was because of the meddling of Leslie Frazier.

QB: Janocko is a coach with more QB coaching experience than fan favorite Joe Brady. In addition to his QB coaching experience has experience coaching WRs and the offensive line, so has a broader perspective on how the QB play interacts with other parts of the offense. Additionally, created an entire series on QB play on coach tube relying on film study and analytics to break down what makes QB play successful. Another young ascending coach with a great offensive mind. Plus, he also has several years in the Shanahan tree offense.

WR: Tolbert is a highly respected coach that has had success at multiple stops. Additionally, has years coaching in a Shanahan tree offense.

OL: Several years of experience and his most successful lines were when ATL was a Shanahan tree offense

DB: Rowe is a young coach that coached three dbs, including an undrafted guy into a pro bowl appearance. Years of experience in Eberflus’ system.

LB: Borgonzi has coached Darius Leonard (who was a panned draft pick by many on draft day) into an all pro. He more than looks qualified, he has results. Has also worked with Eberflus for years in the defense they’ll be running.

ST: Hightower. First of all there are 32 teams, so 15 is not bottom half. SF has also been bitten by the injury bug the last couple of years, which obviously makes ST harder when guys that would normally be core ST players are getting thrown into starter roles. He’s also a young coach—he was the Bears assistant ST coach before he got the SF job. Finally, the 49ers special teams were responsible for sending the Packers home, so when it mattered they performed.

You can say none of the names are sexy but all of the offensive coaches have experience in a version of the offense they’ll be running and all of the defensive coaches have experience in the defense they’ll be running. So there is an obvious logic behind the hirings. Unlike the last regime when random people with no connection were hired and there was no cohesive identity.

There’s also a mix between seasoned veteran coaches and young up and comers which I think is a good approach. Balance the energy and creativity of the younger coaches with the wisdom and experience of the older coaches.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

For me the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Coaches struggling in a regime for all sorts of reasons but it doesn’t make them a bad coach.
The same is true for coaches excelling in a regime.
Poles and Flus know the type of coaches they want, a lot of the time it’s about instilling the right culture and attitude rather than the hottest name.

None of the hires are disappointing until they disappoint :thumbsup:

Artbest
Player of the Month

Fwiw, the 49ers beat Green Bay in the playoffs almost exclusively because of their special teams.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Artbest wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:56 pm Fwiw, the 49ers beat Green Bay in the playoffs almost exclusively because of their special teams.
Fairly or not, I think most have attributed that to just how bad GB special teams is.
UOK
Site Admin

I’ll keep an open mind. I had no clue who Tabor was either.
Artbest
Player of the Month

Sure - but the packers hasn’t lost a critical game, at home, in the playoffs, solely due to a blocked fg and a blocked punt for a td.

="The Cooler King" post_id=289581 time=1644171104 user_id=2353]
Artbest wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:56 pm Fwiw, the 49ers beat Green Bay in the playoffs almost exclusively because of their special teams.
Fairly or not, I think most have attributed that to just how bad GB special teams is.
[/quote]
IotaNet
MVP

Artbest wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:56 pmFwiw, the 49ers beat Green Bay in the playoffs almost exclusively because of their special teams.
This was my very first thought when I saw the hire announced.

49’ers special teams balling out and hustling was the reason they won that game. — on a night where neither offense could generate anything.

I’m good with the hire.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

I’m not going to ignore 5 years of data because in one game, against an all-time awful special teams unit, they balled out.

Artbest
Player of the Month

Admittedly I haven’t seen enough 49er games to know what role their special teams did or didn’t play in their wins and losses. All I know they effectively single-handedly won a playoff game - on the road.

As for the rest of the staff - who knows. Most of the hires from the colts, arguably, should please us. Not only are these coaches loyal to Eberflus (I believe the only coach to leave kc to join Nagy was Brad Childress), they have a pretty good track record - especially the linebacker coach. The dc had one pretty good year and one terrible year in Minnesota a decade ago. I have no clue if Eberflus’ presence and his defensive system will make a substantive difference.

As for the offense - again, no clue. Just hoping it works
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:52 pm I’m not going to ignore 5 years of data because in one game, against an all-time awful special teams unit, they balled out.
But apparently you can ignore all of the context that led to that data.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:52 pm I’m not going to ignore 5 years of data because in one game, against an all-time awful special teams unit, they balled out.
Call yourself a fan?

;)

TheWorldBreaker
MVP