Urlacher vs. Mack. vs. Peppers

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

@dplank and I got off on a bit of a debate that I feel could be an excellent timesink in this offseason.

Here's how we got here:
UOK wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:38 am People act like Mack was this transcendent Urlacher-esque player who was a pillar of the franchise. He was more like Julius Peppers was as a Bear. Very good with occasional bouts of dominance.
UOK wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:15 am
dplank wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:28 am Julius Peppers > Brian Urlacher sir
dplank wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:55 am @UOK Peppers retired with the 4th most sacks all time. He will be a first ballot HOF just like Urlacher was, so it's not a crazy take.

Urlacher wasn't even the best MLB of his era, Ray Lewis was by a mile IMO. I recognize I'm in a minority position amongst Bears fans, but I believe Urlacher was a little bit overrated. Not that he wasn't great, he was, but I always felt as though Singletary was a better player. And Briggs was pretty darn close to Urlachers level as well IMO, but was completely overshadowed and is not getting near the accolades that he deserved.

......so let's have it out. Where are we at with some of these all-time Bears greats on defense?