2022 NFL Draft: WRs

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Post your dudes here.... I'm currently smitten by this dude, he's WR1 on the 2022 Chicago Bears, easily:

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'm not the biggest Pickens fan, as his productivity has been pedestrian since his freshman year, in no small part because he's not been healthy. If the Bears draft him, I'll absolutely hope I'm wrong about him.

If I'm picking someone the Bears draft early, as opposed to a lineman (the direction I expect them to go), my guy is either NDSU's Christian Watson (duh) or South Alabama's Jalen Tolbert. Both have had three consecutive productive seasons and have appeared to improve each year.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wulfy
MVP

Alec Pierce of Cincinnati is my (realistic) guy at WR - big (6-3/213), productive (52|884|8) who really surprised with an amazing vertical (40.5") and his 40 was very solid (4.41). Local kid too (Glenbard West HS).

My non-realistic guys is Chris Olave.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Good choices so far but in case Poles does some work in FA and we don’t need a big guy, how about a little slot guy: Khalil Shakir

He’s a good athlete and hard to tackle. Could draft a different position in the 2nd and still add this dynamic player later
xyt in the discord chats
cblaz11
MVP

3 names that stand out to me are Skyy Moore, Calvin Austin, and John Metchie. All 3 have the ability of creating space and getting those extra yards.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:56 am 3 names that stand out to me are Skyy Moore, Calvin Austin, and John Metchie. All 3 have the ability of creating space and getting those extra yards.

I posted in another thread about my little man crush on Skyy Moore. Really think he plays the game with Steve Smith attitude.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
cblaz11
MVP

I definitely see some similarities…

Where do you think he gets drafted? Im guessing 3rd round.

Look at Metchie….I think he could be a steal in the 3rd.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:41 am I definitely see some similarities…

Where do you think he gets drafted? Im guessing 3rd round.

Look at Metchie….I think he could be a steal in the 3rd.
Moore is late 2nd early 3rd, so we'd have to trade back or just take him at #39.
I think most of the talent we've zeroed in on goes between 39 and 71, so this draft will be very interesting to see who the Bears value above the rest and see if anyone else really falls to us at 71.
(this is why I'm inclined to trade Roquan to see if I can get another 2nd and a few later round picks. Give us 35 mil in cap, and gets us another dart on these guys)
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:29 pm I'm not the biggest Pickens fan, as his productivity has been pedestrian since his freshman year, in no small part because he's not been healthy. If the Bears draft him, I'll absolutely hope I'm wrong about him.

If I'm picking someone the Bears draft early, as opposed to a lineman (the direction I expect them to go), my guy is either NDSU's Christian Watson (duh) or South Alabama's Jalen Tolbert. Both have had three consecutive productive seasons and have appeared to improve each year.
I just think he's a pure, natural WR. The way he runs routes, sets up DBs, adjusts to the ball/catch radius... it's outstanding talent. His teammates seem to love him and say he's all about football. I worry he's a bit of a "knucklehead", saw him get thrown out of a game for throwing haymakers at a DB. You also have to look at the team he was on, they were a run-first team in 2020 with shit QB play.

If his health and character checks out, I'd sprint to the podium at pick #39 and take him if he was available.
cblaz11
MVP

Pickens talent isn’t debatable…also, he’s a DOG in every sense. Guy plays WR like he’s playing defensive tackle.

That said, he had a major knee injury and based off his games played, he’s had other issues. I tried looking it up but couldn’t find info.

I like him a lot…just not that early in the second.
cblaz11
MVP

Great write up

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Geo ... WR-Georgia

He could be a steal in the second…he could be an epic bust due to injury’s and attitude. I think he’s the kind of guy who’s on field issues will go away because he won’t want to let his teammates down in the pros…but can he stay on the field?
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:25 pm Pickens talent isn’t debatable…also, he’s a DOG in every sense. Guy plays WR like he’s playing defensive tackle.

That said, he had a major knee injury and based off his games played, he’s had other issues. I tried looking it up but couldn’t find info.

I like him a lot…just not that early in the second.
Running a 4.47 and broad jumping 10'5" 11 or so months after tearing your ACL ain't bad, my frendt
cblaz11
MVP

Agreed….I’m not saying I don’t like him. Just more risk then I would like lol
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:18 pm Agreed….I’m not saying I don’t like him. Just more risk then I would like lol
Yeah reading though your link, the character concern jumps out. I saw him fight someone but reading more issues is no bueno.
dave99
Assistant Coach

[video][/video]
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Umbali
MVP

So my thoughts on this are a bit because I am in Atlanta and sports talk radio etc all year is Dogs all the time

Pickens in good and he was held back by Kirby Smarts offense and the fact that he wants to be old school run the ball. Thats how Fields ended up leaving for OSU. The concern is obviously the knee injury. Which is also a concern for Alabama's Metchie. I recently saw Poles say he wouldnt take an injury risk player ala Tevin Jenkins.

I have not watched Skyy Moore. I do however remember that Miller was supposed to have that Steve Smith fight in him. So I dunno.

I think with the size Mooney is we would look at a big bodied guy to replace Arob, so I kind of like Christian Watson who is projected to be a 3rd rounder. I think we have to go Oline in the the 2nd.

I really dont like the idea of trading Roquan based on his age, productivity and future projections. Id rather trade Mack at this point for the exact same reasons.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
wulfy
MVP

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:56 am 3 names that stand out to me are Skyy Moore, Calvin Austin, and John Metchie. All 3 have the ability of creating space and getting those extra yards.

Calvin Austin is a guy who intrigues me as well, cblaz.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:09 pm So my thoughts on this are a bit because I am in Atlanta and sports talk radio etc all year is Dogs all the time

Pickens in good and he was held back by Kirby Smarts offense and the fact that he wants to be old school run the ball. Thats how Fields ended up leaving for OSU. The concern is obviously the knee injury. Which is also a concern for Alabama's Metchie. I recently saw Poles say he wouldnt take an injury risk player ala Tevin Jenkins.

I have not watched Skyy Moore. I do however remember that Miller was supposed to have that Steve Smith fight in him. So I dunno.

I think with the size Mooney is we would look at a big bodied guy to replace Arob, so I kind of like Christian Watson who is projected to be a 3rd rounder. I think we have to go Oline in the the 2nd.

I really dont like the idea of trading Roquan based on his age, productivity and future projections. Id rather trade Mack at this point for the exact same reasons.

I thought Fields left because they picked Fromm to play over him and Fromm had a ton of eligibility left?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:25 pm

Calvin Austin is a guy who intrigues me as well, cblaz.

My take on Austin III from Senior Bowl week - Very fast.

Not very polished
Umbali
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:54 pm
Umbali wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:09 pm So my thoughts on this are a bit because I am in Atlanta and sports talk radio etc all year is Dogs all the time

I thought Fields left because they picked Fromm to play over him and Fromm had a ton of eligibility left?
You are correct. In my drunken state I was equating Smart going with the QB to run a run oriented offense rather than opening it up for Justin. Maybe thats not accurate but it damn sure seemed accurate last night lmao
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:28 pm
RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:54 pm

You are correct. In my drunken state I was equating Smart going with the QB to run a run oriented offense rather than opening it up for Justin. Maybe thats not accurate but it damn sure seemed accurate last night lmao
When you can - would you post your take on the Georgia DLs?

I know the combine numbers were great - but I really liked the kid that was at the Senior Bowl
karhu
Head Coach

At this point he's looking like an undrafted FA, but what the heck, I haven't soured on Jequez Ezzard yet, so I might as well keep beating the drum. Someone like Alec Pierce with a mid-rounder and this guy would be a really nice stab at a step forward for the WR corps, without breaking the bank.

So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
cblaz11
MVP

I’ve been watching a lot of WR tape..I’m officially declaring George Pickens as “my guy” in the 2nd.

Unless I’m missing something with his character, I think he fits with this team. He’s a playmaker, but he also is a locker room changer like Monty, Fields, and Roquan. Guy plays with an edge and dominated opposing CBs. He is a pure hands catcher and high points the ball with the best of them.
wab
Mod

cblaz11 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:47 am I’ve been watching a lot of WR tape..I’m officially declaring George Pickens as “my guy” in the 2nd.

Unless I’m missing something with his character, I think he fits with this team. He’s a playmaker, but he also is a locker room changer like Monty, Fields, and Roquan. Guy plays with an edge and dominated opposing CBs. He is a pure hands catcher and high points the ball with the best of them.
He plays WR like a LB and I like it.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Pickens made a weird choice (IMO) coming out this year. If he goes back next year to show that he's healthy and put up some numbers I think he's a first rounder next year. I like him as a player but I'm curious about his motivation and plan. Maybe he has a personal reason to come out?
xyt in the discord chats
cblaz11
MVP

I bet he does…..MONEY

WAB….he’s mean. Put him in a huddle with Jenkins…now we’re starting to form an identity.
EricTighe
MVP

Best WR in this class. Flat out stud.
Drake London.

This kid intrigues the crap out of me. Would love to snag him on day 3.
Dareke Young WR Lenoir-Rhyne

My second WR is Pickens. Other than the injury what isn't there to love about this kid.

Honorable mention since the Bears talked to him on multiple occasions so far. I believe this will be our pick after a monstrous combine.
Christian Watson

We could be looking at two WR taken in the second round and then go after O-lineman. Then again after the purge this week everything is open now.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

I've been doing a lot of homework on the receivers. There's a lot to like with Skyy Moore, Jalen Tolbert and Christian Watson, to name a few. Alec Pierce is another guy I could see in Chicago.

But I've come full circle on George Pickens and am now convinced a lot of folks out there are sleeping on him. I would take him in the 2nd and think he'd be a steal at pick 71 . Dude's a true alpha. His ceiling is a a game changing WR 1, a la AJ Green. I'm not at all worried about his knee; he made it back in 8 months and played in the SEC championship (amazing) and then performed extremely well at the combine. I'm confident he's healthy-- 20 year olds with the latest medical techniques can easily recover from torn ligaments. He'll be 100% by the start of the NFL season, that I'm sure of.

The risk with Pickens is his history of immaturity. If his Ceiling is AJ Green then his floor is Josh Gordon. Fights, the water bottle squirting on the sidelines, an unspecified suspension for breaking team rules. There are some issues with this kid- hopefully he'll grow out of them.

Despite the risks, I'd love to see him lined up outside in Chicago with Mooney opposite and Christian Kirk in the slot. Here's some more on him:

https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=4 ... 21465&pos= showing his RAS to another famous wide receiver of similar size who also had maturity issues :D

A video with all of his targets (good and bad) from 2020, his sophomore year and his last real year before tearing his ACL in Spring Football of 2021.

[video] [/video]

I'm not big on highlights but these clips from 2019 are worth seeing. Pickens was an 18 year old TRUE freshman playing against the men of the SEC. Age breakout is a major consideration by the analytics community when measuring a players likelihood for success in the NFL which makes video (highlights or not) of such a young guy (5 star recruit) playing this way at that age...Well, it's pretty unique.

[video] [/video]
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I think we’re going to need to draft to WR so who does everyone like for our 150 or 185 pick?

Here’s my late draft pick who I think some are sleeping on. Danny Gray from SMU

:clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Alternative - Tyquan Thornton

(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'm all about Thornton. I'm a fan. :thumbsup:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: