Packers start work on circumventing the cap

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

When the Orioles signed Bobby Bonilla eons ago, they made it so that he earned 1M a year for 20 years past his contract. Can GB do something like this with Rodgers? Basically get him for nothing but a lifetime of 1-2M paychecks?
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:54 pm When the Orioles signed Bobby Bonilla eons ago, they made it so that he earned 1M a year for 20 years past his contract. Can GB do something like this with Rodgers? Basically get him for nothing but a lifetime of 1-2M paychecks?
I believe there is a limit of Void years - I think you can only prorate bonuses for like 5 years.....though they could pull that trick a few times if they wanted ( I THINK!?)
dplank
Hall of Famer

So.....cap junkies. With Rodgers new deal showing a 2022 cap hit of 49M, and Adams sitting at the franchise tag number, and the resigning of that LB (forgetting his name) for what was absolutely an increase in cap hit from the previous year....

Where are the Peckers at with their cap? Don't they have to be under the cap today? Feels like they should be well over still. They cut 2 dudes and did 3 restructures. Something isn't adding up.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:18 am So.....cap junkies. With Rodgers new deal showing a 2022 cap hit of 49M, and Adams sitting at the franchise tag number, and the resigning of that LB (forgetting his name) for what was absolutely an increase in cap hit from the previous year....

Where are the Peckers at with their cap? Don't they have to be under the cap today? Feels like they should be well over still. They cut 2 dudes and did 3 restructures. Something isn't adding up.
They still have to trim like 4-5 million to get under the cap after bringing back De'Vondre Campbell.

I'm not a cap guru by any stretch, but they should be able to make it work without releasing anyone else. They can restructure someone or create room by extending Preston Smith I think.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Doesn’t feel like they took any lumps does it?
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:42 pm Doesn’t feel like they took any lumps does it?
Not for this coming season at least...although they had to unload some really good depth pieces that I think they would've preferred to keep. Losing Patrick and Turner from a line that seems to have perpetual injuries is a problem.

BUT. The wheels really start to fall off after next season.
malk
Head Coach

I'm constantly amazed the NFLPA doesn't kick off more against all the shenanigans. All this monkeying around to give the top players more (and then forcing a tank later) really screws the majority of the union's members, all the regular players that are absolutely essential for the league to work.

Void years should just be scrapped for a start but I'd really look to have some kind of cap relief for retaining your own draft picks and making the over-performance escalators not count against the cap, that kind of thing. Fuck the owners obviously!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:11 pm I'm constantly amazed the NFLPA doesn't kick off more against all the shenanigans. All this monkeying around to give the top players more (and then forcing a tank later) really screws the majority of the union's members, all the regular players that are absolutely essential for the league to work.

Void years should just be scrapped for a start but I'd really look to have some kind of cap relief for retaining your own draft picks and making the over-performance escalators not count against the cap, that kind of thing. Fuck the owners obviously!
NFLPA should care more: agreed
Void years suck: agreed
cap incentive for retaining: not sure, kind of leaning against. I'm not sure that really works to a player's benefit, either
escalators not count (the 4th yr rookie thing, I assume?): agreed
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Well shit
dplank
Hall of Famer

Well they are taking a lump now. Guess we are about to find out how good Adams really is. Rodgers screwed him.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Fuck the Packers. Good and hard.

The bigger the cap, the bigger the peelin'
Who gives a fuck about a punk-ass villain?
You're gettin' fucked real quick
And Justin's dick, is smellin' like Rodger's shit

malk
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:20 pm
malk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:11 pm I'm constantly amazed the NFLPA doesn't kick off more against all the shenanigans. All this monkeying around to give the top players more (and then forcing a tank later) really screws the majority of the union's members, all the regular players that are absolutely essential for the league to work.

cap incentive for retaining: not sure, kind of leaning against. I'm not sure that really works to a player's benefit, either
I haven't fully thought out the retaining draft picks bit (and obvs none of this is happening anyway) but I like the idea of a longer term reward for good drafting. I'm sure there would be unintended consequences though.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:18 am So.....cap junkies. With Rodgers new deal showing a 2022 cap hit of 49M, and Adams sitting at the franchise tag number, and the resigning of that LB (forgetting his name) for what was absolutely an increase in cap hit from the previous year....

Zero chance the Rodgers Cap hit will be 49 for 2022
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:20 pm

Anything that doesn't count against the Cap but is paid to Players - the players should be for - its just extra money

And even if this means teams retain more of their own guys (at market value ) - There will still be guys who get to FA and still teams like that Jags that pay a guy like Kirk.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Packers can pick out the corn niblets and peanuts from my shit.

"Report: Za'Darius Smith Signs $42M Vikings Contract After Ravens Deal Falls Through"

(Having problems with the link showing.)