Travel Blogs in lieu of actual travel

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

thanks to the various lockdowns and what not, my planned trips have just not happened ... but thanks to youtube, I can still see interesting places and maybe even learn a few things ... whether it be from the History Channel, NASA, Discovery, or even individuals, I can sort of scratch the travel itch from the comfort of my living room with a beer in my hand ... not quite as satisfying as actually going on the trips myself, but entertaining

things have opened up in the area I live so I can take the random daytrip to an interesting place in my area, but I think it will still be a while before I voluntarily get on an airplane to go anywhere ... but hey, yesterday I went on an almost hour long journey through Morocco from the comfort of my couch which was quite interesting

youtube - the travel placebo

any interesting journeys you've been on in this manner?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

There were a couple different youtube channels where the people rented/owned catamarans and were sailing in spots from the carribean to down and around the coast of NE South America. And others where they were sailing in several of the island chains in the S Pacific. I'm no sailor, so those channels were about as close to any real adventure I'd ever get on the sea.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I don't necessarily do this, but I love fishing and to keep me sane in the winter months (I don't ice fish.) I watch a couple of YouTube channels which are relaxing.

I strongly recommend NDYakAngler. Just a guy in his kayak fishing. No drama. No walk up music or any crap. Great scenery too.

TacticalBassin is also good. The best videos of theirs are just 3 hour or so long uncut videos of them fishing. Awesome to have on in the background when I work from home.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Did a lot more ice fishing and upgraded some equipment, still traveled but tended to stay in state. Did a crap ton of updating our house - all new flooring, woodwork, carpet, paint etc. Did more fishing in the summer.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:23 am Did a lot more ice fishing and upgraded some equipment, still traveled but tended to stay in state. Did a crap ton of updating our house - all new flooring, woodwork, carpet, paint etc. Did more fishing in the summer.
I got out last weekend just to catch what could be caught. Still a little cold for the bite to start.

Rare shutout for me. Truth be told I saw a Muskie. Was using medium suckers and shiners. No luck.

Next weekend a goal is to put my fishing waders on and get at some hard to fish spot they’re always at. Also, the underwater foliage is still MIA so I’ll be trying the places that are normally heavily weeded.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:17 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:23 am Did a lot more ice fishing and upgraded some equipment, still traveled but tended to stay in state. Did a crap ton of updating our house - all new flooring, woodwork, carpet, paint etc. Did more fishing in the summer.
I got out last weekend just to catch what could be caught. Still a little cold for the bite to start.

Rare shutout for me. Truth be told I saw a Muskie. Was using medium suckers and shiners. No luck.

Next weekend a goal is to put my fishing waders on and get at some hard to fish spot they’re always at. Also, the underwater foliage is still MIA so I’ll be trying the places that are normally heavily weeded.
Just put away all the ice fishing equipment 2 weeks ago. We went from single digits to 60’s but the water hasn’t opened up yet.

Getting the boat out of storage this weekend, but it will be end of April before I put it on the water. Working on a tackle order through Hagens and will get out in the waders in a couple weeks when it opens up.

I probably have a couple nights of going through rods and reels, lubing, respooling as needed. Need to get the lead pot and molds out to pour some jigs and bottom bouncers and then run the boat through preseason maintenance and clean up.