Update: Tyreke Hill traded to Dolphins for pile of picks

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/335 ... yreek-hill

Crazy if it happens, I can't believe KC would let him go. Think he'd help our WR corps? :-P :-P
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:48 am https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/335 ... yreek-hill

Crazy if it happens, I can't believe KC would let him go. Think he'd help our WR corps? :-P :-P
He might be "slight" upgrade to what we have right now.

It's a nice dream but no chance for us.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Is this another symptom of a huge qb contract?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Looking at his contract, he's a UFA after next season and maybe KC knows they won't be able to afford him with all the other toys they have. We do have the inside connection with Poles and a clear need at WR1. Anyone trading for him you'd think would insist on a new deal at the same time, otherwise it's a 1 year rental. I wonder if we could structure a deal that spends into our massive cap space that's available after this season?

I know it's a dream scenario, but if the Jets and Dolphins can do it then it's not impossible. That sure would jump start our rebuild and give Fields the deep ball WR he needs. Dear lord, pairing him up with Mooney as #2, and Pringle as #3? Holy mother of God we'd have an explosive offense the likes we've never seen in Chicago.

This would be a signature move for Poles, like Mack was for Pace - just on the correct side of the ball this time. 8-)
wab
Mod

This would be amazing, but the trade compensation makes it incredibly difficult for the Bears to compete in the market.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:07 am Looking at his contract, he's a UFA after next season and maybe KC knows they won't be able to afford him with all the other toys they have. We do have the inside connection with Poles and a clear need at WR1. Anyone trading for him you'd think would insist on a new deal at the same time, otherwise it's a 1 year rental. I wonder if we could structure a deal that spends into our massive cap space that's available after this season?

I know it's a dream scenario, but if the Jets and Dolphins can do it then it's not impossible. That sure would jump start our rebuild and give Fields the deep ball WR he needs. Dear lord, pairing him up with Mooney as #2, and Pringle as #3? Holy mother of God we'd have an explosive offense the likes we've never seen in Chicago.

This would be a signature move for Poles, like Mack was for Pace - just on the correct side of the ball this time. 8-)
KC is asking for two 1st rounders plus more. One of the teams in play (and a finalist according to Schefter) is the Jets who have 4 and 10 this year, plus two second rounders before the Bears even pick.

The Bears literally can’t even field a competitive trade offer for him.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

This would be something, to be sure.

I have a hard time seeing the Bears ownership wanting this guy on their team, though.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

How much of his performance is because Mahomes is throwing him the ball?
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I don't want a bunch of choir boys playing for the Bears, but this guy is just too big a POS for me to ignore. I would have a hard time rooting for him at all.

New regime now though, so maybe they value performance over not being a terrible human being.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

KFFL refugee.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Wow, but it makes sense know you have a star you won’t be able to afford to get a haul out of him. Those draft picks are cheap replacements next year and make it possible to keep a teams talent level high even when paying for a couple superstars, especially a QB.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Thank God we didn’t do anything that stupid.

The trade value of some of these players. Holy shit.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Even if there are heavy incentives as part of that, that is a ton of coin.
Last edited by thunderspirit on Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
KFFL refugee.

spudbear
MVP

I'm flabbergasted. This offseason has been wacky. Looks like the Phins are loading up for a run, what with picking up Armstead and having Shaheen as a weapon too. Will Hill be able to pick up the ball from lefty Tua?

I suppose KC feels a little better with their offense next season knowing the Nagus is there to help.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:40 am Thank God we didn’t do anything that stupid.

I'd absolutely have traded a 1st, 2nd and 4th for him (plus the two late picks next year). Tyreke Hill's don't grow on trees, he's been the most explosive player in the NFL for the last 3-4 years. Great deal for the Dolphins, my local squad is beefing up! Pairing him with Waddle is strong. I just don't like their QB and their new coach concerns me with a Trestman vibe.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:49 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:40 am Thank God we didn’t do anything that stupid.

I'd absolutely have traded a 1st, 2nd and 4th for him (plus the two late picks next year). Tyreke Hill's don't grow on trees, he's been the most explosive player in the NFL for the last 3-4 years. Great deal for the Dolphins, my local squad is beefing up! Pairing him with Waddle is strong. I just don't like their QB and their new coach concerns me with a Trestman vibe.
I have a singular focus until that OL is fixed.

I do not argue what Hill brings as a player. I just can’t do it until we can block for Fields. If we were a team that was a WR away then hell yes.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The Chiefs have no WRs and instead have a million draft picks. Insane team building going on around the league right now
xyt in the discord chats
IE
Hall of Famer

Hill is so good. I think you do back up the truck for a HOF-er in his prime.

OTOH.... KC is pretty smart as well. They had to avoid that future cost, and put themselves in a position to replace Reek with two great young prospects in the first few rounds in a really good WR draft. And then use the other picks to stay young & able to afford Mahomes. Unfortunately a team that was not looking like it would pick a WR is now going to likely pick two - and high (after losing Hill, Pringle and Robinson, and only replacing them with a slight ?? in JuJu).

Thank goodness they pick behind the Bears in the 2nd round... although I could see them jumping over to get a big fast guy like Watson if Reid really coveted a guy.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:53 am

I do not argue what Hill brings as a player. I just can’t do it until we can block for Fields. If we were a team that was a WR away then hell yes.
Yea I agree. I do see merit in both arguments: beef up OL vs beef up WR to help your QB. We’ve seen both work, I’ve always preferred the OL route but Burrow/Chase opened my eyes to the WR path.

The one path I can’t stomach is our current approach - NEITHER! Let’s stick Fields with a rookie OC, the worst OL in football, and the worst WR corps in football - what could go wrong?
wab
Mod

If it’s still the worst OL and the worst group of WR in the second week of September, I’ll complain then.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:43 pm If it’s still the worst OL and the worst group of WR in the second week of September, I’ll complain then.
90% + of your roster construct happens in March and April. You’re pretty much locked in come May barring a few minor moves on the fringes of your roster (camp cuts and such)
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:37 pm

Yea I agree. I do see merit in both arguments: beef up OL vs beef up WR to help your QB. We’ve seen both work, I’ve always preferred the OL route but Burrow/Chase opened my eyes to the WR path.

The one path I can’t stomach is our current approach - NEITHER! Let’s stick Fields with a rookie OC, the worst OL in football, and the worst WR corps in football - what could go wrong?
But, it’s just that you don’t agree with the signings he has made and/or players he let go. Poles has a plan, and two weeks into that plan it’s being pretty impatient to throw the plan under the bus. Poles may very well believe a line of Jenkins, whitehair, patrick, borom, possibly bates and/or a draft pick is way better than previous for the type of offense and scheme they want to run.

There will be more signings and draft picks to come. I choose to let the plan unfold before breaking out the tar and feathers for the new GM.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Another team most likely picking a WR in the draft before the Bears are on the clock. At least it's an excellent year for WR prospects.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Yeah, I think the whole reason they did this now (aside from the looming contract) is how deep this draft is in WRs. And not just WRs either. There's a tremendous amount of speed among them in this draft. I don't think I've ever seen this many speed receivers.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Tyreek Hill is 28.
And while 28 isn't old, for a player whose entire game is based on speed, that's not a trait that hangs around into ones 30s.

The Dolphins are rightly trying to surround Tua with plenty of help, but that's a lot of capital.
Xee
Site Admin

Burl wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:06 pm Tyreek Hill is 28.
And while 28 isn't old, for a player whose entire game is based on speed, that's not a trait that hangs around into ones 30s.

The Dolphins are rightly trying to surround Tua with plenty of help, but that's a lot of capital.
Right, this is one deal where it looks like both teams came out on top (if that makes sense). Yes, the Chiefs are losing a playmaker but they now have a ton of picks to hopefully find a replacement, not to mention the cap savings. And the Dolphins look like they're making a push for a ring so Hill is definitely going to increase their chances in the short-term.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The dplank version of this franchise is pure Sonny from the Godfather.

Just zero draft picks and cap space left
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:37 pm

Does it matter that most of those things aren't true? Feels like it should (Holy overreacting batman!)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:53 pm

The dplank version of this franchise is pure Sonny from the Godfather.

Just zero draft picks and cap space left
No bullshit.

This post made me decide What The Hell and I took one of those online Which Character In The Godfather Are You quizzes.

I got Sonny.

Thank God I don’t have a sister with an abusive husband.
wab
Mod

Burl wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:06 pm Tyreek Hill is 28.

I mean Marquise Goodwin just missed out on the Olympics and he's like 32. DeSean Jackson can still run. Ted Ginn could still run (he started being bad at football though). Antonio Brown can still run.